Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

View Poll Results: Red or White Poppy ?
White 14 6.57%
Red 139 65.26%
Both 4 1.88%
Who cares both are fine . 28 13.15%
Moo 28 13.15%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-10-2017, 07:08 AM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Perhaps I owe the seller in Holmesdale Road an apology.

But my word, what a classless item. Why on earth would anyone - let alone the RBL - want to conflate remembrance with football support, I do not know. The very notion is hideous.

Do you reckon they do Star Wars ones?
Don't know but they do Dad's Army cufflinks - rather tastelessly made from "genuine WWII or earlier .303 bullets"

To view the link you have to Register or Login

A lot of their other stuff is fine and there is bound to be the odd dud. the Dad's army cufflinks are just rather daft and the material used is pointless for the item. The poppy/prem greed league tie in is wrong though and cheapens the symbol. I will buy a poppy as usual and almost certainly lose it way before 11th November.

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis

Last edited by sw16girl; 17-10-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:18 AM
Four-eyed shark hunter

Chief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is hereChief Brody Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
Don't know but they do Dad's Army cufflinks - rather tastelessly made from "genuine WWII or earlier .303 bullets"

Ah well, it was the Hun they were fired at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
He isnt top class mate

He is a limited player who scores goals with his head
Re Benteke - 14 May 2017
Old 17-10-2017, 07:19 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I've always been clear on the fact that a red poppy is in rememberance of all casualties of war, not just 'ours'.

It's entirely up to the individual to decide what they feel about the politics and sense or nonsense of any conflict -:but it's very hard to ignore the effects of the conflict and how it impacts on the families and loved ones of those that die or are seriously injured.

Rememberance Day imo is a way of reflecting on the enormity of what takes place in war, not the glory or revenge involved in it's aftermath -
Old 17-10-2017, 07:25 AM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Who gets the money from white poppy sales?
Answer here

Had no idea that they were first produced in 1933.

Old 17-10-2017, 07:27 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
Never worn a poppy, won't wear a poppy. I hate the way you're expected to wear one.
I think that’s an interesting point, but has anyone ever actually said anything to you along the lines of where’s your poppy? I do wonder whether the ‘poppy narzism’ occurs anywhere other than in certain high profile places of work.

I buy the traditional paper poppy, but don’t tend to wear it until the actual week of remembrance. For me, that’s the appropriate time, plus many have fallen off my coat if I wear them for long.

However, no one has ever said anything to me about it when I’ve not been wearing one. Including when I worked for the BBC and the govt. In fact, I’ve even been to Remembrance events and lost my poppy on the way, but no one’s ever mentioned it.

My only experience of any ‘expectation’ has been for BBC newsreaders during Remembrance, but that probably applies to all current affairs presenters, not just BBC. But that should be viewed in the context that, whilst on screen, they are the ‘face’ of the corporation and that is its policy. There is a dress code for presenters and this is part of it....just as you wouldn’t see Huw Edwards wear a Micky mouse tie whilst announcing a disaster or Fiona Bruce wear a bikini.

Whether they choose to wear one when they’re not working and on screen would be a matter for them.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:33 AM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
Never worn a poppy, won't wear a poppy. I hate the way you're expected to wear one.
Attention seeker

Old 17-10-2017, 07:39 AM
Red Squirrel Ultras Rule

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
To be fair - James McClean is an utter cnt, poppy nonsense or not. We shouldn't forget that he's a genuine thundercnt.

That said, I do find the mouthiest, wankiest and tub-thumpiest of all poppy nazis -- you know, the dicks that adorn every social media post with a poppy, or fill up their BBS sigs with with Wilfried Owen quotes or jumping gifs of poppies -- are actually the arseholes least likely to donate anything to the RBL.

It's become the sort of virtue signalling from the right they so seem to loathe in others. Completely hi-jacked by cnts like UKIP, the BNP, EDL, FLA, Brexiteers, the Daily Mail. All utter wankers with a manifesto of creating division - the complete antithesis of what the poppy stands for, the words of the WWI poets they bastardise for their soppy fkin Facebook memes, to justify the latest hate crime.

If I were HMG I'd give the RBL receipt machines so there is nowhere to hide for these wankers who use the poppy but don't pony up every year for the poor, genuine suffering sods who's only relief from the trauma of seeing action is putting a bit of plastic and paper together for you all to argue over.
Great post Brett. Good to remember the fallen from a justifiable conflict though.

Crystal Palace 2017/18: The Inconceivables
Old 17-10-2017, 07:39 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:

A lot of their other stuff is fine and there is bound to be the odd dud. the Dad's army cufflinks are just rather daft and the material used is pointless for the item. The poppy/prem greed league tie in is wrong though and cheapens the symbol. I will buy a poppy as usual and almost certainly lose it way before 11th November.
I lose count of the number of poppys i buy each year. As soon as they curl (about an hour) I buy a new one.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Red Squirrel Ultras Rule

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I think that’s an interesting point, but has anyone ever actually said anything to you along the lines of where’s your poppy? I do wonder whether the ‘poppy narzism’ occurs anywhere other than in certain high profile places of work.

I buy the traditional paper poppy, but don’t tend to wear it until the actual week of remembrance. For me, that’s the appropriate time, plus many have fallen off my coat if I wear them for long.

However, no one has ever said anything to me about it when I’ve not been wearing one. Including when I worked for the BBC and the govt. In fact, I’ve even been to Remembrance events and lost my poppy on the way, but no one’s ever mentioned it.

My only experience of any ‘expectation’ has been for BBC newsreaders during Remembrance, but that probably applies to all current affairs presenters, not just BBC. But that should be viewed in the context that, whilst on screen, they are the ‘face’ of the corporation and that is its policy. There is a dress code for presenters and this is part of it....just as you wouldn’t see Huw Edwards wear a Micky mouse tie whilst announcing a disaster or Fiona Bruce wear a bikini.

Whether they choose to wear one when they’re not working and on screen would be a matter for them.
Some Rangers casual approached a few of us at Manchester Piccadily once and asked us. Think he was just looking for a scrap to be honest.

Crystal Palace 2017/18: The Inconceivables
Old 17-10-2017, 07:42 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Just out of curiosity, is there an expected price? I always pay a minimum of 50p, but if I have a pound coin thats what I will put in the box. I probably spend at least £20 a season, but not always take a poppy.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:52 AM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
Just out of curiosity, is there an expected price? I always pay a minimum of 50p, but if I have a pound coin thats what I will put in the box. I probably spend at least £20 a season, but not always take a poppy.
I think that there is a minimum spend for one of the wooden crosses, but not for the poppies, whatever the buyer can afford to give.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:54 AM
XXVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowieslovechild View Post
I think that there is a minimum spend for one of the wooden crosses, but not for the poppies, whatever the buyer can afford to give.
Reccomended, not compulsory.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:57 AM

I guess so.
Old 17-10-2017, 07:58 AM
A Fish without a Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
I've always been clear on the fact that a red poppy is in rememberance of all casualties of war, not just 'ours'.

It's entirely up to the individual to decide what they feel about the politics and sense or nonsense of any conflict -:but it's very hard to ignore the effects of the conflict and how it impacts on the families and loved ones of those that die or are seriously injured.

Rememberance Day imo is a way of reflecting on the enormity of what takes place in war, not the glory or revenge involved in it's aftermath -
I understand what you are saying but technically you are not correct. The RBL sets out what the rememberance is for and it is not all soldiers or most civilians - it is for the British forces and anyone fighting alongside them. Women eg only qualify if they are supporting the armed forces or are in them. They say that they advocate a specific type of rememberance.

Old 17-10-2017, 08:00 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by little al View Post
The Legion will know how much each item costs to make, so they’d hope to receive more than that in order to make a profit. I doubt all the people collecting would be familiar with that threshold, but you could always ask them for guidance?

Generally speaking though, just donate what you can.

By the way, I understand that they will take the old pound coins...so if you’ve still got some down the back of your sofa, this would be a great way to make use of them.
Old 17-10-2017, 08:13 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
I understand what you are saying but technically you are not correct. The RBL sets out what the rememberance is for and it is not all soldiers or most civilians - it is for the British forces and anyone fighting alongside them. Women eg only qualify if they are supporting the armed forces or are in them. They say that they advocate a specific type of rememberance.

Quote:
The Legion advocates a specific type of Remembrance connected to the British Armed Forces, those who were killed, those who fought with them and alongside them.
And that quote from the website is why people now actively choose not to wear them, history books are more accessible than ever, interaction with friends from all over the world never easier, millions of people died in the conflicts the BL want us to remember from all over the world.

There was nothing more special about a British soldier than any other soldier, British civilians no better than any other civilian who has been murdered in war. People want to remember all those who have died in the conflicts and take away an everlasting desire of peace around the world, if wearing a poppy symbolises I am only engaging in a 'specific type of Remembrance connected to the British Armed Forces' then I am not wearing one.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 17-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
There was nothing more special about a British soldier than any other soldier, British civilians no better than any other civilian who has been murdered in war..
perhaps.

But I do wear a poppy for "British" reasons: in remembrance of those British people, quite a few of whom came from my family, close and distant, who died in the wars.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 17-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Before Rememberance Day it was called Armistice Day to remember the end of WW1. Then it all got changed and we finish up with this annual debate about what is right and wrong.

I have a red one on the sideboard next to a photo of my grandfather who died in WW1.
Old 17-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
I used to wear a white poppy, but I stopped doing this because it clearly caused some to misunderstand my reason for doing so and caused offence. I couldn't explain to everyone I had offended, why I was wearing white as a point of principle.

To be entirely honest, I don't like displaying anything which cries out 'I have contributed'. Additionally, I dislike the ridiculous pressure put on everyone to comply. When this was discussed last year, I mentioned that I had a friend who worked as a journalist at the BBC. She told me that poppies are handed out to all staff (no donation required) to wear in the building - and all presenters are required to wear them on air. Why? Shouldn't it be a private, personal choice?

Jon Snow famously refused to wear a poppy on air, saying viewer demands for him to wear a poppy were a kind of "poppy fascism". He said he would wear a poppy "not on the telly... but on Remembrance Sunday in concert with others". Good for him.

Far more should be done to promote what the British Legion does and raise money from people who want to help - and not because they feel awkward by not complying. Critically, however, the Government should be obliged to provide far more money to those disabled (or bereaved) by war. By the way, I make an To view the link you have to Register or Login whose aims I fully support. I know it's hypocritical to say I won't wear a poppy because I don't want to be seen to be displaying my generosity, only to mention this fact here - but I do so to explain that it's just the symbol that bothers me - not the cause.
Old 17-10-2017, 08:32 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
To be entirely honest, I don't like displaying anything which cries out 'I have contributed'l.
Nor me. But the poppy is nothing to do with that, wearing a poppy is about showing that you care and share in the sacrifices made by your community.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ