Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

View Poll Results: Packed luch for work
Nearly always - I'm as poor as a church mouse. 103 37.87%
Sometimes - I have 4 season tickets to finance 30 11.03%
Occasionally 58 21.32%
Never 60 22.06%
I don't work in an office or something similar. 21 7.72%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-10-2017, 09:40 PM

chav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchav_hater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Try to make lunch twice a week. Usually pasta with some sauce and some bacon or chicken in.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:44 PM
My friends list is empty

Urine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUrine Mattress : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I am surprised at the poll results. Different from my day. I am not sure that is a good thing for society. I can accept the healthy eating argument, and saving pennies if a Pret has become outrageously expensive.

It seems to me that life has got all a bit sanitised and horrid in the last 15 years. All about control and tight fisted companies penny pinching their slave workers. Work and life used to be fun to a certain degree. I am getting the impression that increasingly it is not so. Not just from these silly threads, but as a general overview of comments on the BBS.

It seems that people are desparate to keep jobs they dont like, pay credit (mortgages and student loans) they cant afford, but gadgets they dont need, and are sucked into thinking that life revolves around having to take that 2 week med holiday to GET AWAY FROM IT ALL.

Not for me peeps.
I certainly don't remember being berated in this fashion simply for bringing lunch to work 15 years ago, so perhaps things have changed
Old 19-10-2017, 09:45 PM

Oli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is hereOli28 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urine Mattress View Post
I certainly don't remember being berated in this fashion simply for bringing lunch to work 15 years ago, so perhaps things have changed
Old 19-10-2017, 10:05 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
PeterH is one BA Executive Lounge reference away from being Adlerhorst, itís a sterling effort.
I think he may be turning into Baldy.
Old 19-10-2017, 11:29 PM

Paulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses growPaulinmorden knows where the wild roses grow
Take food every day. With the hours my shifts cover I often have to take in 2 meals. One will be like the main meal i.e. pasta and sauce or rice, meat and veggies and the a sandwich and fruit for later. On a night shift which covers 16 hours I even have to take in something to eat first thing next day before the drive home. Can't afford to keep paying out the prices at the various shops where I work at an airport because they are all bumped up for the captive audience.
Have to admit that to make it easy for myself I do tend to take the same sandwich everyday - saves having to make decisons about what to put in it.
Old 19-10-2017, 11:50 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Is that a chain or single restaurant type place?
It does sound like a poncy 'elitist' place. 250 notes for the tasting menu.
Old 19-10-2017, 11:56 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
PeterH is one BA Executive Lounge reference away from being Adlerhorst, it’s a sterling effort.
Never been in an Executive Lounge. Only the Santiago lounge (with my debit card), so it doesn't count. I have never spent more than a ton on a meal for two or stayed anywhere outrageous. My mobile cost less than 100 notes, and I have never bought business class. Just two upgrades ever.

Yet, I have never felt the burning need to ponce around making my own lunch at home and bringing it to work.

Not my fault that despite the bravado on here a goodly number of you have been outed as Tupperware Friends. And you get all cwoss when it's pointed out. LOL.

Enjoy your reheated pasta tomorrow.

Last edited by PeterH; 20-10-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 19-10-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I take food from home, most of us do. I donít consider myself poor but I canít see myself spending 10 euros a day eating out. That would just be weird.
You could die with all the money you have saved stuffed in the mattress.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:01 AM

Madden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMadden : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Looks like the lunch time pint has fallen by the wayside?
Old 20-10-2017, 12:09 AM

I wasn't much into that TBH, although it was prevalent. I liked to save my pints for the evening. I found a pint or two at lunchtime made me drowsy and unproductive in the afternoon. A little walk, a couple of tabs, and a sandwich at the desk was all I needed in my last London job.

Even at Guardian where we had a free (but taxed benefit) restaurant, that feed made me drowsy. I still don't know why offices don't have little bunks for a 30 minute recharge mid afternoon. Shows that senior managers really have no idea how to innovate and provide for staff welfare. IMO.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:36 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I make a sandwich every work evening to take to work with a can of soda and a piece of fruit, plus some trail mix for a snack in the morning.

We have a cafeteria at work, but it is easy to spent 7 or 8 bucks a day there.

I guess over 10 years, I must have saved a few bob.... so I guess we need another option for tight fisted bastard.
Old 20-10-2017, 01:18 AM

Neillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeillo's Son came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The company I work for provide free fruit/snack bars in the morning which is useful, although on Friday's a bacon sarnie is a temptation.

Usually always buy lunch, I'm not in a situation where I need to penny pinch and I like to get out of the office, especially one which is highly "salesy".

I'd definitely like to start preparing my lunches the night before though, as the UK is so dull for lunch time food unless in a decent city.
Old 20-10-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I make a sandwich every work evening to take to work with a can of soda and a piece of fruit, plus some trail mix for a snack in the morning.

We have a cafeteria at work, but it is easy to spent 7 or 8 bucks a day there.

I guess over 10 years, I must have saved a few bob.... so I guess we need another option for tight fisted bastard.
All those pennies you saved went halfway to paying for that night in the 8 star hotel. Well played.

I am sorry, but I see it as a false economy for the most part. Fair enough, if you are occasionally taking some of last nights delicious casserole to work, but to make it a daily habit seems odd to me.

I suspect the same penny pinchers either think nothing of dumping 50 notes in the pub after work and then sqwauk about spending 8 notes on lunch, or worse, are first in the queue for the petrol station when there is a rumour of a price rise on petrol (walk for once in your life numbnuts).

Personally, if people are being so anal to bring in a tupperware every working day, I wouldnt trust them not to bring a calculator along to a social restaurant meal. And it is THOSE feckers (usually female driven couples who I really despise). Yep, all over facebook with your lovely house, kids and two holidays, and two cars - but all calculatingly earnt by being tossers when out with supposed friends.
Old 20-10-2017, 04:59 AM

I cant get over a chap I consider a friend, and a fun and crazy one at that, taking a bowl of chile with him everywhere he goes.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:00 AM
Glad All Over Forever

Stockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStockport_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden View Post
Looks like the lunch time pint has fallen by the wayside?
I fondly remember the Friday lunchtimes my old boss would take half the office to the pub 12-1...you had 15 minutes to get the first down, 15 more for the second etc until you went back to the office with 4 pints done! He'd then wait in the pub for the other half of the office and do it again with them 1-2...8 pints in 2 hours on a Friday lunchtime. Top stuff from late nineties.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:05 AM

And people whine about how expensive things are, and how life is hard and they are struggling to make ends meet in expensive London.

Didnt stop them from voting in the same scummers that continue to bring misery to their lives, continue to back up a housing situation that obliges people to spend half of their salaries on rent or mortgages, allowing less money for a decent lunch. Is the alternative you are all afraid of really worse than the daily grind you seem to be suffering now. Cameron and Browns Children. People lived better lives under the arch witch Thatcher. But you vote for more of the same. Turkeys voting for Christmas.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockport_Eagle View Post
I fondly remember the Friday lunchtimes my old boss would take half the office to the pub 12-1...you had 15 minutes to get the first down, 15 more for the second etc until you went back to the office with 4 pints done! He'd then wait in the pub for the other half of the office and do it again with them 1-2...8 pints in 2 hours on a Friday lunchtime. Top stuff from late nineties.
In one of my last jobs. The head of the performance team would go down the pub with two other of the team and regularly not come back. Thrice in a week. I would tend to join them around 6pm and get lambasted for my attitude. It did raise eyebrows, although TBF they usually got into the office before 7am.

I had problems in that team. As I was weighing up jacking it all in and traveling, the team leader of the adjacent desk offered me a position in risk management. In the end, I took the right decision. I was burnt out and no longer useful.

I doubt that culture or in fact opportunities for bright grannar kids with O levels exist anymore.

Saying that if I were a dab hand with micowaveables there may still be a role.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:20 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Maybe if Peter re-heated his pasta a bit more, he could afford to hob nob with the BBS elite in executive lounges around the world.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:26 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Penny pinching or convenience? I vote the latter

Peter H is completely out of order.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:31 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Smoked mackerel on rye bread for me today from the fridge.