Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 29-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Supermarkets have made it cheaper to buy a chicken than to buy a pint in your local. Supermarkets want your business, and they don't really care how they do it. I actively feel sorry for many of the farmers as they're having to compromise their set up to accommodate the supermarkets demands, and if they don't the supermarket will look elsewhere and on the whole don't really care how the meat is sourced.

Have a look at this investigation at Hogwood Pork farm and this is standard practice in the UK now.

To view the link you have to Register or Login (if you eat British Pork from the supermarket, don't complain as this is frequently how it is sourced. Most consumers are completely ignorant to this)

I'm sure I read somewhere that "Willows Farm" used by Tesco's doesn't actively exist. It's common practice for advertisers to make the item look more appealing to entice customers. In a recent report, it even went as far to say that the factory that supplies tesco for this, also supplies identical chicken being sold more cheaply at other competitors. From that report it also highlighted footage of chicken drumsticks, already packed for discount rival Lidl, being reopened and repacked for Willow Farms, which is badged as “exclusively for Tesco”.

Those who opt for the £3 quid chicken are again ignorant to that fact that
- Over 90% of chickens sold in the UK are allowed by law to have an A4 sheet sized allowance of space in a shed.
- Chickens are kept in constant dim light day and night to discourage rest and speed up growth.
- Antibiotic use is routine resulting in 1/4 of chickens testing positive for antibiotic resistant e-coli.
- 2.2m chickens consumed daily in the UK. Around a billion chickens are slaughtered every year.

A chicken on a Sunday used to be a treat, but now chicken cottages etc are ubiquitous on the High Street, and people eat them all day.
I've had a couple of nice bits from the deli at Waitrose, but most supermarket meat is utter shite and like anything in life, you get what you pay for. Go and shop at your local butchers if you can and learn how your meat is sourced
Old 29-10-2017, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Kipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is here
The meat industry in general is immoral and unethical and inconsiderate towards how animals should be treated before being prepared for consumption.

However, I am hypocritical as I eat meat despite knowing the above.
Old 29-10-2017, 03:16 PM
XXVII

little al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlittle al came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
We never buy meat from a supermarket, always a butcher.
Old 29-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
Is that the average amount of time a chicken is a live for, for supermarket meat?
Yup. It's an utterly vile industry.
Old 29-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipungu View Post
The meat industry in general is immoral and unethical and inconsiderate towards how animals should be treated before being prepared for consumption.

However, I am hypocritical as I eat meat despite knowing the above.
most are ignorant to this though, and it's not only the animal welfare people are concerned about also other aspects such as health concerns and the impact on the enviroment.
The pack of chicken breasts people frequently buy for £4 (or two for £7 etc) in the supermarket suit our desire to disconnect from the source of our meat as they present us with a packaged product which in no way resembles its original animal host.
Please don't think that every provider is brutal, there are plenty of small, local farms out there that treat their animals very well throughout their lives, give them healthy food and plenty of room to roam, and kill them humanely with the least amount of suffering possible.
I generally find butchers more accommodating, and they certainly aren't as expensive as people think.
Old 29-10-2017, 03:23 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeagle View Post
A new butchers has just opened in Sundridge Park (Bromley). Drove past about 10 this morning and it looked pretty busy
I must have a butchers
Old 29-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Not again Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
Is that the average amount of time a chicken is a live for, for supermarket meat?
Nando's chickens are generally slaughtered in 6 weeks which gives them time tp reach "engineered slaughter weight". The supplier Faccenda supply much of the industry Asda, KFC etc killing 2m + a week. Caked in some sauce or griddled people are completely oblivious as they tuck in.
Old 29-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I have seen inside on of these Chicken Sheds 33k in the one I saw, he couldn't make it pay anymore and compete with imported Chicken.

Food chain has been shafted by the mass market, and now have to pay premium prices for better quality. Fruit & Veg has no seasons anymore. The waste must be enormous both in the home and by business.

There has been no long term testing on all the additives in the food chain, its all made on assumptions. We are the Guinea Pigs.

Of course traditional farming and feeding the current world population I guess would be nigh on impossible.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Pokemon Trainer

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendy View Post
I have seen inside on of these Chicken Sheds 33k in the one I saw, he couldn't make it pay anymore and compete with imported Chicken.

Food chain has been shafted by the mass market, and now have to pay premium prices for better quality. Fruit & Veg has no seasons anymore. The waste must be enormous both in the home and by business.

There has been no long term testing on all the additives in the food chain, its all made on assumptions. We are the Guinea Pigs.

Of course traditional farming and feeding the current world population I guess would be nigh on impossible.
Fruit and Veg from Supermarkets is crap too. When we moved in together 8 years ago it was all big. Go to Sainsbury's and buy a three pack of peppers now... They are about a third of the size now to what they were back then. And kale etc seems to be going manky 2 or 3 days before its shelf life is up.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:14 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Is there a trend for moving away from supermarkets over the last 10 years or so? That is the impression I get from my BBS chums.

I suppose that is all relative to ability to pay. If you are on the lower income levels and have a family to feed, farmers markets and the local butchers are much less of an option.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wife worked for Morrison’s about 15 years back, as part of their graduate manager scheme.

As part of that, she did a project for one of their subsidiaries which made all their own brand sausages, documenting their processes, including ingredient quantities. Since that day, we’ve never eaten anything but premium brand sausages, such was the fairly horrific nature of some of the things which got added in, or rather how much crap and how little meat was in them!
Old 29-10-2017, 06:26 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Do butchers get their animals from different places than supermarkets?
Old 29-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Fruit and Veg from Supermarkets is crap too. When we moved in together 8 years ago it was all big. Go to Sainsbury's and buy a three pack of peppers now... They are about a third of the size now to what they were back then. And kale etc seems to be going manky 2 or 3 days before its shelf life is up.
Go to France and look around their Supermarkets. Fruit Veg looks normal, different sizes and shapes kind of natural. Take look at ours all picture perfect shapes and sizes. Most of the stuff I buy is pretty tasteless as well. "Sweet Juicy Plums" just today I was enticed by this packaging, dried tasteless cardboard. Fighting my way through them as we speak.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:34 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
TBF. We have ALL known this for years (decades) and many of us still buy the stuff sometimes. The same as McDonalds etc..

On a smaller scale, but the same practices exist in Chile, when this country has the opportunity to show the way really. We still have the manufactured supermarket chicken, and two or three main suppliers. When I first came here, we had a plethora of roast chicken shops. They have all closed down because the sipermarkets took over the products - smaller and cheaper. In the past the 5 of us could sit down with one big chicken and have some tasty sandwiches. From the supermarket, we would have to buy two, so they are not any cheaper, and you can taste the water content.

We have the option sometimes of getting some country eggs, and we always try to buy when we are out of Santiago. It is only very recently that one of the supermarkets have started offering a free range option.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Go to France and look around their Supermarkets. Fruit Veg looks normal, different sizes and shapes kind of natural. Take look at ours all picture perfect shapes and sizes. Most of the stuff I buy is pretty tasteless as well. "Sweet Juicy Plums" just today I was enticed by this packaging, dried tasteless cardboard. Fighting my way through them as we speak.
The fruit is shipped in from Chile and South Africa etc. by boat, so chilled. In Chile we eat the irregular shaped stuff that doesnt pass the perfect look quality control for export. It is said that fruit and vegetables immediately start losing their vitamin and mineral benefits from the second they are picked. Let alone taste that deteriorates through the long chill.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:39 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I went to the butchers recently and asked for 4 sirloin steaks. He asked how big and I said “the normal” type eater. Charged me £30. Although the meat was possibly better than the supermarkets (I didn’t notice a difference) that is the reason why people use supermarkets as I could have probably saved a 3rd. That said, some of the meat in supermarket is terrible. We bought a chicken recently and had it for a couple of days and then cooked it on a Sunday evening (after 4pm when the shop is shut) and it stunk to high heaven when I opened it. Ended up going straight in the bin and was well within the best before date.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
The really unpleasant bit is certain supermarkets giving their products wholesome names but the stuff being the same naffness as all the rest.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Pokemon Trainer

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
They aren't even perfect sizes. Again 5-7 years ago... I used to make us fajitas. 2 peppers was enough for the two of us. Now I am having to use 3, often 4 to make up the quantity or there isn't enough for two of us. And I'm still paying a pound for effectively half the quantity.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
The fruit is shipped in from Chile and South Africa etc. by boat, so chilled. In Chile we eat the irregular shaped stuff that doesnt pass the perfect look quality control for export. It is said that fruit and vegetables immediately start losing their vitamin and mineral benefits from the second they are picked. Let alone taste that deteriorates through the long chill.
Hence we used to only have seasonal Fruit and Veg in the UK, apart from Satsumas at Christmas! I looked at these in Waitrose today Tenderstem Broccoli & Fine Beans 190g. I mean WTF and it was £2
Origin Information
Egypt
Guatemala
Jordan
Kenya
Zambia

I saw tiny bag of Veg couldn't see anything special in it produce of Kenya £1.10 it was not even a portion for one person.
Old 29-10-2017, 06:52 PM
red and blue army

PalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Having had to cater for my vegan son i'm definitely coming round as much as anything because the alternative to meat is so good these days and it also feels good knowing a poor animal hasn't been abused and slaughtered in a concentration camp to provide your dinner.
Linda McCartney's burgers and sausages are fab as are Fry's. Soya chunks or Caribbean vegetable chunks are great in stews. Essential Luxury nut roast is amazing. Oat milk is great on Cereal, all are available in almost every supermarket now. Just eating vegetables is so much better for you than cheap meat.
Cheap meat is nothing short of vile because you know there is zero respect for the animal behind it. I don't really want to lecture but i do think people should try the alternatives, its a lot better than a lot of meat eaters imagine.