Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 29-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
They aren't even perfect sizes. Again 5-7 years ago... I used to make us fajitas. 2 peppers was enough for the two of us. Now I am having to use 3, often 4 to make up the quantity or there isn't enough for two of us. And I'm still paying a pound for effectively half the quantity.
Oh I see what you mean that's been going on ever since Brexit the down sizing of portions and packs and retaining the same retail price. More to do with Currency exchange rates putting pressure on pricing. They even have a word for it Shrinkflation! Actually says not Brexit, but in my industry it has only happened since the currency implosion

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by Vendy; 29-10-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 29-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceSi View Post
Having had to cater for my vegan son i'm definitely coming round as much as anything because the alternative to meat is so good these days and it also feels good knowing a poor animal hasn't been abused and slaughtered in a concentration camp to provide your dinner.
Linda McCartney's burgers and sausages are fab as are Fry's. Soya chunks or Caribbean vegetable chunks are great in stews. Essential Luxury nut roast is amazing. Oat milk is great on Cereal, all are available in almost every supermarket now. Just eating vegetables is so much better for you than cheap meat.
Cheap meat is nothing short of vile because you know there is zero respect for the animal behind it. I don't really want to lecture but i do think people should try the alternatives, its a lot better than a lot of meat eaters imagine.
My eldest Daughter is a full on Eco Warrior type who I used to merciless rib about it. Slowly but surely she is converting me too, she won't touch Quorn for some reason. She loves her food, I think she secretly misses everything but committed to the cause.
Old 29-10-2017, 07:09 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
The really unpleasant bit is certain supermarkets giving their products wholesome names but the stuff being the same naffness as all the rest.
TBF. I suspect that that is a long way from the really unpleasant bit.
Old 29-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
TBF. We have ALL known this for years (decades) and many of us still buy the stuff sometimes. The same as McDonalds etc..

On a smaller scale, but the same practices exist in Chile, when this country has the opportunity to show the way really. We still have the manufactured supermarket chicken, and two or three main suppliers. When I first came here, we had a plethora of roast chicken shops. They have all closed down because the sipermarkets took over the products - smaller and cheaper. In the past the 5 of us could sit down with one big chicken and have some tasty sandwiches. From the supermarket, we would have to buy two, so they are not any cheaper, and you can taste the water content.

We have the option sometimes of getting some country eggs, and we always try to buy when we are out of Santiago. It is only very recently that one of the supermarkets have started offering a free range option.
We buy most of our fresh fruit and veg and fish from the local farmers markets. Usually, but not always cheaper than the supermarkets, but it's fresh and you can pick and choose. The same markets are also good for fresh fish which gets filleted in front of you.

As for the chilling of fruit for transportation, it doesn't really effect the taste of the product. Most are also shipped in modified or controlled atmosphere now as well, which effectively puts the fruit to sleep (by stopping the ripening process).
The main issue with modern fruits is the push to grow fruit varieties that look good rather than taste good.
Old 29-10-2017, 07:30 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Yep, we buy from greengrocers and have a fishmongers and butchers we use. The super for the day to day stuff, chicken for pasta etc..
Old 29-10-2017, 07:41 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendy View Post
My eldest Daughter is a full on Eco Warrior type who I used to merciless rib about it. Slowly but surely she is converting me too, she won't touch Quorn for some reason. She loves her food, I think she secretly misses everything but committed to the cause.
Original Quorn isn't vegan. What gets me is having to cater for Vegans vegetarians and the occasional meat eater makes shopping pricey and creating a single meal that everyone will eat a bit of a bore.

SaulAlinsky
Old 29-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Yup. It's an utterly vile industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
Nando's chickens are generally slaughtered in 6 weeks which gives them time tp reach "engineered slaughter weight". The supplier Faccenda supply much of the industry Asda, KFC etc killing 2m + a week. Caked in some sauce or griddled people are completely oblivious as they tuck in.
Thanks and thanks.

I tend to avoid meat now (still eat fish though) when I can, but every so often I'll give in. How can I get hold of some meat that hasn't been treated completely appallingly? Is it the butchers?
Old 29-10-2017, 08:46 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
Thanks and thanks.

I tend to avoid meat now (still eat fish though) when I can, but every so often I'll give in. How can I get hold of some meat that hasn't been treated completely appallingly? Is it the butchers?
Mind the micro plastic in the fish.
Old 29-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Do butchers get their animals from different places than supermarkets?
Yes.
Old 29-10-2017, 09:34 PM
lay me down.

matayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmatayusgiovanni came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Do butchers get their animals from different places than supermarkets?
Zoos.

Selhurstparkflyer.
Old 29-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by matayusgiovanni View Post
Zoos.
Old 30-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Back in a Sublime place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
Mind the micro plastic in the fish.
Beat me to it, that program where the Dutch scientist was studying it and stuck the seasonal mussels everyone was enjoying in the bars under an xray or microscope and you could see the plastic in them.
Old 30-10-2017, 12:49 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
The bacon described on here sounds like the bacon you get in The US.

Hard a a rock and shatters when you try and cut it.

When I cook it, I practically have to eat it raw to stop this happening. My wife (who is American) loves the "crispy" bacon!
Old 30-10-2017, 01:26 AM
Back in a Sublime place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
The bacon described on here sounds like the bacon you get in The US.

Hard a a rock and shatters when you try and cut it.

When I cook it, I practically have to eat it raw to stop this happening. My wife (who is American) loves the "crispy" bacon!
is it not all streaky bacon on America? Thin fatty strips
Old 30-10-2017, 02:56 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendy View Post
is it not all streaky bacon on America? Thin fatty strips
I don't know what it is, thin, yes. A lot of fat, yes.

I've noticed a lot of placed serving breakfast use Canadian Bacon with a maple taste. It is thicker and less fat, but not over the moon with the maple taste.
Old 30-10-2017, 05:13 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
If you buy organic mest, what is the difference compared to non organic?
Old 30-10-2017, 05:31 AM

jjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjjeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
££ ?
Old 30-10-2017, 05:36 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceSi View Post
Having had to cater for my vegan son i'm definitely coming round as much as anything because the alternative to meat is so good these days and it also feels good knowing a poor animal hasn't been abused and slaughtered in a concentration camp to provide your dinner.
Linda McCartney's burgers and sausages are fab as are Fry's. Soya chunks or Caribbean vegetable chunks are great in stews. Essential Luxury nut roast is amazing. Oat milk is great on Cereal, all are available in almost every supermarket now. Just eating vegetables is so much better for you than cheap meat.
Cheap meat is nothing short of vile because you know there is zero respect for the animal behind it. I don't really want to lecture but i do think people should try the alternatives, its a lot better than a lot of meat eaters imagine.
Well said. Haven't touched meat (or worn it come to that) for 30 years. It really is not an inconvenience. To me it is just simple: 'Is gratifying my stomach for a second by eating a bit of meat really worth another living being suffering and dying over?' It's as simple as that.

It's a fecked up world when you can't breathe these days without offending someone; how we've all become outraged about injustices to others and yet the ritual slaughter of another living, feeling, loving being goes on and on around us everyday, unabated, without anyone raising an eyebrow.

What's worse are the religious freaks that go on about love and kindness and slaughter animals in the cruelest most painful way possible in the name of their hocus pocus beliefs. And as a country we've just allowed them to do it. Shameful.
Old 30-10-2017, 07:23 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
There are rules re what the animal has been fed, how it’s been kept, what veterinary meds it might have had.

This will usually mean the farmer has used their land less intensively and therefore had fewer animals, chickens etc. Their produce will therefore usually cost more in order to run the business at a profit.
Old 30-10-2017, 07:29 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar View Post
dont trust many of them now. I saw in a recent report that the same chicken breasts that the cheap brands were selling was being sold by M&S as their lush chicken. It is worrying. Aldi and Lidl do seem to be getting good reviews Meat-wise
Think of their common link and there’s your answer. Imo ham and some bacon from lidls are fine.