Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 01-11-2017, 03:44 PM

nicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think early industrialisation destroyed peasant cuisine while boarding school wrecked the palates of the elite. Result: about a hundred and fifty years of shit food.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:49 PM

nicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicky came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
I think British food on the whole is horrible, stodgy bollocks. Besides maybe fish and chips twice a year I don't eat anything you'd consider to be typically British - and don't start on me about roasts - they're shit.
Wasnt Fish and chips invented by jewish immigrants ?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:57 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Potted shrimp.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:03 PM
...well, I was in '99...

Andy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAndy in Rome came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My personal take on this is that WWII and the subsequent years of rationing seriously set back the "traditional" British cooking style - and our appreciation of it - for at least 2 generations. The raw ingredients for many of the classic pre-war dishes just weren't available - and as a result, recipes just weren't passed on from the older generation, because there was no point in teaching you to cook ingredients you couldn't find.

My old Grandma who used to be a junior scullery maid in service just after WWI always used to lament - even in the late '60s - that butchers just didn't stock things that were commonplace in the pre-war years.

It's really only in the last couple of decades that the younger chefs have started rediscovering old recipes (... ox cheeks andpig trotters are 2 examples) and are putting them on their menus. I'm sure that in another 20 years, as some of these become more mainstream, there will be many traditional British dishes back on the average dinner table.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Rome View Post
My personal take on this is that WWII and the subsequent years of rationing seriously set back the "traditional" British cooking style - and our appreciation of it - for at least 2 generations. The raw ingredients for many of the classic pre-war dishes just weren't available - and as a result, recipes just weren't passed on from the older generation, because there was no point in teaching you to cook ingredients you couldn't find.

My old Grandma who used to be a junior scullery maid in service just after WWI always used to lament - even in the late '60s - that butchers just didn't stock things that were commonplace in the pre-war years.

It's really only in the last couple of decades that the younger chefs have started rediscovering old recipes (... ox cheeks andpig trotters are 2 examples) and are putting them on their menus. I'm sure that in another 20 years, as some of these become more mainstream, there will be many traditional British dishes back on the average dinner table.
The war did have a major effect. The fear of being starved to defeat was real and resulted in a standardisation of food supplies and prioritising quantity of diversity and quality. This mind set lingered on to the late 50's. But I'd argue the decline started earlier with the industrial revolution and the sudden and rapid, movement of populations from the country to the cities. This resulted in the loss of traditional and regional dishes and a decline in the quality of raw ingredients provided for the new industrial workforce. Food adulteration was a massive problem in Victorian times.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky View Post
I think early industrialisation destroyed peasant cuisine while boarding school wrecked the palates of the elite. Result: about a hundred and fifty years of shit food.
Someone tell nicky that CDM61 has hacked his/her account.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Mr Mojo Risin

Mr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr Mojo Risin came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It is quite telling that when you go abroad you never ever see an "English" restaurant.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Hello Everyone

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
The railways invented fish and chips because you could get the fish to towns before it went off.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
Paella???
Can't you remember after a few beers heading to the local Paella shop and then skipping home.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:34 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
It is quite telling that when you go abroad you never ever see an "English" restaurant.
Have you never been to Benidorm?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:43 PM

jimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is herejimmy the gent Sam the man is here
A proper, well cooked Full English with decent ingredients has to be one of the greatest meals on the planet.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:49 PM

rhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
Can't you remember after a few beers heading to the local Paella shop and then skipping home.
Do they deliver?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Hello Everyone

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
roast dinner
bakewell tart
fisg and chips
pasty
lancshire hot pot
Yorkshire pud
Chelsea bun
ecclefecken tart
scotch pie
Cullen skink
stargazy
irish stew
muffins
crumpets
scampi in the basket
jellied eels
pie and mash with green liquor
shepards pie
cottage pie
Cumberland sauage
Eccles cake
Haggis (assuming you accept it as food)
Pickled eggs
pickled walnuts
faggots
pease pudding
Christmas pud
spotted dick
balmange
birds custard
Wimpey, yes fecking Wimpey
Mushy peas
Toad in the hole
scotch egg

That's all you'll be getting once we leave the EU, no more duck in black bean sauce, no Col Saunders, no more....................

Last edited by Skintagain; 01-11-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
I think British food on the whole is horrible, stodgy bollocks. Besides maybe fish and chips twice a year I don't eat anything you'd consider to be typically British - and don't start on me about roasts - they're shit.
Rearrange these two words

Off fvck
Old 01-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Such an interesting question, that I thought I would check it out, and by George you are right! First brought to Britain by the Sephardic Jews in the 17th century. (Frying fish, that is).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Strange that some things which were once staple disappeared . Suet Pudding from the delights of Steak and Kidney through to Stew and Dumplings via one of my favourites Bacon and Onion Roll. Then add the wonders of a proper Suet Pudding as a sweet I loved them all. Except Stew it rarely figures now days.
My Dad was one of those that the wonders of foreign cooking was I am not eating that muck. So I discovered the joys of Chinese Indian Italian on my own. I know where I had each one for the first time . Italian was near London Bridge Station for instance Indian was in Stevenage ( if you forget the one off attempt at a Vesta Beef Curry).
Pig Trotters I thought off as a working class cheap meal surprised now its on the posh food list.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Strange that some things which were once staple disappeared . Suet Pudding from the delights of Steak and Kidney through to Stew and Dumplings via one of my favourites Bacon and Onion Roll. Then add the wonders of a proper Suet Pudding as a sweet I loved them all. Except Stew it rarely figures now days.
My Dad was one of those that the wonders of foreign cooking was I am not eating that muck. So I discovered the joys of Chinese Indian Italian on my own. I know where I had each one for the first time . Italian was near London Bridge Station for instance Indian was in Stevenage ( if you forget the one off attempt at a Vesta Beef Curry).
Pig Trotters I thought off as a working class cheap meal surprised now its on the posh food list.
Stew and dumplings and steak and kidney pudding are still popular on pub and restaurant menus up here. Thought they would be where you are as well ??
Old 01-11-2017, 05:26 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Stew and dumplings and steak and kidney pudding are still popular on pub and restaurant menus up here. Thought they would be where you are as well ??
True but I was remembering home cooking my Mums Steak and Kidney pudding. When I think about it changes in society the lack of time to cook such a delight its no wonder its gone off the menu.
I tried one the other day at a Brewers Fayre I might just as well brought the tinned version.
Stew and Dumplings rescued by the use of slow cooker when working.....
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I suspect that the standard of Btish food has improved over the years along with cooking ability. Unless I have been lucky I recall the days when the normal standard was to boil vegetables to death and all the flavour with them.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Vesta Beef Curry. I still have them now and again as a guilty pleasure.