Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ BBS Forums Ľ User Help and Suggestions

Notices

User Help and Suggestions This is the place to ask questions if you are having problems with the BBS such as logging in.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Mr Irony

Neckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is here
What are the BBS terms of use?

Over the last few days there have been reports of some fairly obnoxious stuff being posted on the BBS. Fortunately I've managed to miss it all but have seen the fall out polluting some threads.

I must say I'm a little perplexed at this, both in terms of why people would behave so abhorrently (if they did) and why they are allowed to do so.

I've had a look and I cannot find the BBS terms of use. It's been quite a while since I joined and I doubt I read them anyway. I have been down the pub and that is probably why I cannot find them.

So, for reasons of common decency, may I suggest that the Mods post them somewhere where everywhere can read them, please? Or at least a link so we can go to them? This will serve two purposes. Firstly, we would all know where we stand. Secondly we can then hold the moderators to account when it seems like they are playing favourites when they are just following terms of use (or not).

I think my request is quite reasonable for a return to the happier place this used to be.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Kipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is here
Forum Rules

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use the To view the link you have to Register or Login to post any material which is knowingly false, and or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, racist, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or that otherwise violates any local, state, national or international law or regulation. You agree to use the Service only for lawful purposes and you acknowledge that your failure to do so may subject you to civil and criminal liability.

You agree not to disrupt, modify or interfere with the service or its associated software, hardware and/or servers in any way, and you agree not to impede or interfere with others' use of the service. You further agree not to alter or tamper with any information or materials on or associated with the Service.

Spamming, advertising and promotion of services and goods is strictly forbidden unless written consent is obtained by a Moderator or Administrator. Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on To view the link you have to Register or Login. If you participate in a discussion, you are responsible for ensuring that any material you post to To view the link you have to Register or Login (text, images, or other multimedia content) does not violate or infringe upon the copyright, patent, trademark or any other personal or proprietary rights of any third party, and is posted with the permission of the owner of such rights.

Multiple user accounts are not permitted and all users must have a functional email address in their account at all times.
These rules are not intended to be exhaustive and the BBS and its moderators reserve the right in their absolute discretion (a) to remove or edit individual threads and/or posts; and (b) to ban or suspend users or modify posting privileges where it is considered justified in order to maintain the smooth running and integrity of the site.

I think these are it?
Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Mr Irony

Neckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is here
Yes, that's it. Thanks.

It's the 'abusive, hateful, harassing, racist, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy' bit that never seems to mean anything on here anymore.

The racist bit is covered because there's probably a legal angle to it, but the rest of it is ignored and people seem to be fair game. The number of posts somebody has made should be irrelevant and there shouldn't need to be the need to report a post for it to be considered contrary to the terms of use, in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Kipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is hereKipungu Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckinger Eagle View Post
Yes, that's it. Thanks.

It's the 'abusive, hateful, harassing, racist, obscene, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy' bit that never seems to mean anything on here anymore.

The racist bit is covered because there's probably a legal angle to it, but the rest of it is ignored and people seem to be fair game. The number of posts somebody has made should be irrelevant and there shouldn't need to be the need to report a post for it to be considered contrary to the terms of use, in my opinion.
Agreed.

However, you'll find that a majority of posters wouldn't want the BBS to be moderated that way.

I don't think we'd have many posters left

I think it's a worthwhile discussion to be had though.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Mr Irony

So, what is the point of having 'terms of use' that are not only ignored but seen to be ignored?

Let me put it another way. One of the most insidious causes of mental health issues is the misuse of social media deliberate to cause others discomfort. I know that the current weedy laws we have disassociates those providing a platform for such hate from the users who provide the hate. However, the hate is deliberate. Should the BBS knowingly provide discomfort to others and stand by, doing nothing, just because the majority of others would not like it moderated that way?

What's the saying? All that evil needs to succeed is that good people stand by and do nothing, or something like that?

Or, thinking about it, is there a causal link between those who provide funds to run the BBS and the way it is moderated? (I'm not accusing, I'm just asking a question)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, what is the point of having 'terms of use' that are not only ignored but seen to be ignored?

Let me put it another way. One of the most insidious causes of mental health issues is the misuse of social media deliberate to cause others discomfort. I know that the current weedy laws we have disassociates those providing a platform for such hate from the users who provide the hate. However, the hate is deliberate. Should the BBS knowingly provide discomfort to others and stand by, doing nothing, just because the majority of others would not like it moderated that way?

What's the saying? All that evil needs to succeed is that good people stand by and do nothing, or something like that?

Or, thinking about it, is there a causal link between those who provide funds to run the BBS and the way it is moderated? (I'm not accusing, I'm just asking a question)
In myself, you are preaching to the converted.

Others may want to input though on how they see things, and it may or may not change your perspective.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Mr Irony

Sorry, but that just seems like a cop out. Who are these people who may want input? The other mods who don't want to upset their clique?

No, if you set rules you should abide by the rules. It works both ways. The rules are there to protect all users of the site. It should not be up to the moderators to protect those who they see fit from the rules.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
The rules are there to protect all users of the site.
are they?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:15 AM
AWM V 42 124

Brumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is hereBrumie Allan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Are you suggesting that if you donate to the site you will not get banned. ridiculous. But if anyone wants to try and see if it works go ahead. To view the link you have to Register or Login

Old 06-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
The rules are there to protect all users of the site.
Odd, I’ve always assumed the rules were there to protect the BBS from all users of the site.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Odd, Iíve always assumed the rules were there to protect the BBS from all users of the site.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 06-11-2017, 05:31 PM
#Hadron Collider

in-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is herein-exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumie Allan View Post
Are you suggesting that if you donate to the site you will not get banned. ridiculous. But if anyone wants to try and see if it works go ahead. To view the link you have to Register or Login
A certain well known poster always let it be known that he pays in..and gets away with much...not that anyone would name who....it's XXX.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Mr Irony

Quote:
Are you suggesting that if you donate to the site you will not get banned. ridiculous.[/URL]
I'm asking the question whether this is the case. I think it is a legitimate question to understand how the BBS works. I would accept the answer either way. If it is not the case then I believe you, why wouldn't I believe you?

However, if I now report a post by a user who transpires has been a donor, and they are not reprimanded or banned, I'm going to be less certain that it is a level playing field.

Quote:
But if anyone wants to try and see if it works go ahead. To view the link you have to Register or Login
This is an interesting concept. Please donate, please then break the terms of use, then see if we ban you. That won't prove whether previous donors are given wiggle room when they transgress, it will just take future donors' money and then deny them access.

I have considered donating in the past but I certainly won't all the time I feel that the BBS does not uphold its own terms of use.

Let us assume that a new user comes along, actually reads the terms of reference and accepts them. I think it is reasonable for that new user to expect that every other user is held to the same terms of reference, don't you? I also think it is reasonable that somebody should be able to express a view without being bullied when the terms of reference specifically sets out what is unreasonable.

I think the argument that the number of users would fall if the terms of use were upheld is also a poor argument. Once a few of the main transgressors were penalised in some way, I would suspect that self-moderation would start kicking in.

However, if the moderators are not willing to uphold the terms of reference, then the terms of reference should be changed to allow all the things where the mods now turn a blind eye, all users should be informed of the change, and then once again we would have a level playing field. Those unhappy with the new terms of reference can go elsewhere.