Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter
 
CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 08-11-2017, 06:44 AM
redandblue's Avatar
redandblue redandblue is offline
Chubby Chops balls drop
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Deepest Darkest Kent
Age: 47
Posts: 10,468
Rep Power: 21474853
redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
But the kill shot was self inflicted, which is probably what newoz is refering to.

The video of one of the fellas that gave chase almost had a sense of glee about it when he was talking about giving chase.
He said "not shot by anyone else"

I expect they did they feel like heros they feel they stopped a bad guy
__________________
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Vince Hilaire's Afro's Avatar
Vince Hilaire's Afro Vince Hilaire's Afro is offline
Benevolence personified
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Monroe, North Carolina
Age: 45
Posts: 31,304
Rep Power: 21474853
Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblue View Post
I don't doubt this is true but could the same not be true if military or police officers.

I don't think anyone wishes to have situations of mass killings but if I lived in the US the fact that there are people close by who would and are capable of stopping in it or limiting it is a good thing.

Of course if no one had guns this would not happen and this is the correct answer, but America is never going to be without guns this will not change so any policy or protocol to deal with mass shootings whether local or personal has to take into account personal firearm ownership
Socrates' point is an excellent one, as you would expect from an eminent Greek philosopher and I would agree, from my experiences.

Ironically, and again in my experience, I have found the opposite to be true with law enforcement and (serving) military types. I mentioned before on here friend of mine who recently took early retirement from the sheriff's dept. as a souvenir he had his service revolver encased in glass. I asked him if he'd ever had to use it on duty, and he said he was very grateful that he never did. I think in general, these people are more likely to be aware if the power they wield and be responsible for it. Clearly though gun crazy nutters are going to be drawn to gun carrying vocations and I guess the crux is how efficient the psychological screening processes are.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Forgive me if I ignore your pork based recommendations in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:14 AM
redandblue's Avatar
redandblue redandblue is offline
Chubby Chops balls drop
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Deepest Darkest Kent
Age: 47
Posts: 10,468
Rep Power: 21474853
redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Socrates' point is an excellent one, as you would expect from an eminent Greek philosopher and I would agree, from my experiences.

Ironically, and again in my experience, I have found the opposite to be true with law enforcement and (serving) military types. I mentioned before on here friend of mine who recently took early retirement from the sheriff's dept. as a souvenir he had his service revolver encased in glass. I asked him if he'd ever had to use it on duty, and he said he was very grateful that he never did. I think in general, these people are more likely to be aware if the power they wield and be responsible for it. Clearly though gun crazy nutters are going to be drawn to gun carrying vocations and I guess the crux is how efficient the psychological screening processes are.
Many years ago I worked for skirmish paintball this was before it became really popular, we did a day for police firearms officers and the majority of them were actually quite scary how gun ho they were except for two fellas who had a real problem pointing a gun at people they worked solely at Heathrow.
__________________
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:25 AM
cpfc4evandeva's Avatar
cpfc4evandeva cpfc4evandeva is online now
Heshlo Kitty
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 21,314
Rep Power: 21474847
cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I work with a guy who I honestly believe that if he had easy access to guns, would one day come into my office and shoot a load of people. He's your classic case of a 'loner', is creepy as ****, and sadly for him doesn't appear to have any friends. Socially awkward probably doesn't cover it.

He is worse around women than blokes. Last year he started joking to a girl who was sitting opposite him that he was going to murder her, openly in front of other people. The 'joke' continued for some time whilst the girl nervously laughed it off, until someone else said 'stop now, it's really not funny'. So he sent the girl an email containing two links. An Amazon wishlist that included the following - a knife, a spade, some rope, etc - and a google maps link highlighting some random field in the middle of nowhere.

A bunch of people told her to go to her manager about this, but she didn't want to get him into trouble so nothing happened. The whole 'if he wanted to kill people he could just come into the office and use a knife' argument doesn't stand up for me. The actual act of stabbing someone itself seems far more personal and also challenging imo, than standing 10ft away and pulling a trigger.

And as someone put earlier, if he really fancied it anyway and turned up to the office armed with some knives, how many could he kill before being overpowered? Compared with a gun?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Vince Hilaire's Afro's Avatar
Vince Hilaire's Afro Vince Hilaire's Afro is offline
Benevolence personified
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Monroe, North Carolina
Age: 45
Posts: 31,304
Rep Power: 21474853
Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
Forgive me if I ignore your pork based recommendations in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:13 AM
mushroom's Avatar
mushroom mushroom is offline
sleep chaser
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Too far from where i wanna be.
Posts: 11,022
Rep Power: 21474849
mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
I work with a guy who I honestly believe that if he had easy access to guns, would one day come into my office and shoot a load of people. He's your classic case of a 'loner', is creepy as ****, and sadly for him doesn't appear to have any friends. Socially awkward probably doesn't cover it.

He is worse around women than blokes. Last year he started joking to a girl who was sitting opposite him that he was going to murder her, openly in front of other people. The 'joke' continued for some time whilst the girl nervously laughed it off, until someone else said 'stop now, it's really not funny'. So he sent the girl an email containing two links. An Amazon wishlist that included the following - a knife, a spade, some rope, etc - and a google maps link highlighting some random field in the middle of nowhere.

A bunch of people told her to go to her manager about this, but she didn't want to get him into trouble so nothing happened. The whole 'if he wanted to kill people he could just come into the office and use a knife' argument doesn't stand up for me. The actual act of stabbing someone itself seems far more personal and also challenging imo, than standing 10ft away and pulling a trigger.

And as someone put earlier, if he really fancied it anyway and turned up to the office armed with some knives, how many could he kill before being overpowered? Compared with a gun?

Be nice to him
__________________
When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM
eagle mart's Avatar
eagle mart eagle mart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Age: 41
Posts: 14,464
Rep Power: 21474855
eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
I
'. So he sent the girl an email containing two links. An Amazon wishlist that included the following - a knife, a spade, some rope, etc - and a google maps link highlighting some random field in the middle of nowhere.
Made me chuckle.
__________________
PHATTUS 'Tuneus'
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.