Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 PM

Eagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for youEagle96 is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufan View Post
Wish I could. He looked disinterested, lazy and slow in the games I saw before his injury. I increasingly suspect he's not the right fit for us just now - but would very much enjoy being proven wrong. Either way, it'll at least be a novelty having a striker on the pitch.
So because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken like Jerome or Campbell he's lazy? Maybe he just consumes his energy better/smarter? But if he is indeed lazy, fine, give me a lazy Benteke who will get double figures no problem (1 in 2 record his entire career) over the other two who might get 5 league goals between them in a good season.

Benteke's not a battering ram he's a goalscorer (although I realise he hadn't scored in 6 this season before his injury). It's very rare to find a striker who has both qualities - who else would guarantee 15 goals in this division who also runs around as much as some of you demand? Vardy off the top of my head, can't think of many more (if there are any). Carroll maybe, but he's always injured so doesn't count.

Get real people.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:07 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle96 View Post
So because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken like Jerome or Campbell he's lazy? Maybe he just consumes his energy better/smarter? But if he is indeed lazy, fine, give me a lazy Benteke who will get double figures no problem (1 in 2 record his entire career) over the other two who might get 5 league goals between them in a good season.

Benteke's not a battering ram he's a goalscorer (although I realise he hadn't scored in 6 this season before his injury). It's very rare to find a striker who has both qualities - who else would guarantee 15 goals in this division who also runs around as much as some of you demand? Vardy off the top of my head, can't think of many more (if there are any). Carroll maybe, but he's always injured so doesn't count.

Get real people.

Sense.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 PM

sl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsl6 Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Everyone crying for Big Ben to be back then start to slate him when there’s a chance he could come back. He is our main man so let’s all back him. He was so isolated under FDB so I am looking forward to seeing him again under Hodgson with support from Wilf.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Palace Addict

trufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle96 View Post

Get real people.
Double figures would be fantastic. Let's hope he recaptures that excellent form then and stops lumbering around cluelessly, while missing any half-presentable chances which come his way. Oh, and let's hope he does it soon - because anything after the next eight games will more than likely be academic.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:42 PM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
Before the injury Ben was missing a goal a game. He was not lazy but was asked to do some stupid stuff and did not have Wilf to provide the chances. If Roy gets the system right he will start knocking them in. Sakho his great mate hitting form again, expect to see some great goal celebrations anytime soon
Old 07-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Palace Addict

trufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettrufan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owngoal View Post
Before the injury Ben was missing a goal a game. He was not lazy but was asked to do some stupid stuff and did not have Wilf to provide the chances. If Roy gets the system right he will start knocking them in. Sakho his great mate hitting form again, expect to see some great goal celebrations anytime soon
Really really hope you're right. As others have said, our season depends on him - until January at least.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:51 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Some good points raised on this thread, we do need him, but I am not sure he has the combined will and ability, even with our support
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
He is offside too often, and that is down to lazyness most of the time, if it isn't then it's lack of something.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:34 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
What are the chances that he will come back and knock off those yellow cards he needs to earn a suspension. That should take him to the transfer window - and Everton.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Wish I could. He looked disinterested, lazy and slow in the games I saw before his injury. I increasingly suspect he's not the right fit for us just now - but would very much enjoy being proven wrong. Either way, it'll at least be a novelty having a striker on the pitch.
He clearly was carrying an injury before Man City with all that strapping. How much of it was trying to play through and how much of it was well we have no other option - i suspect more the latter.

He averages just 33 touches per game, how much of that is being not interested and how much is lack of service? Even when we played well away at Burnley and created chances he saw little of the ball. I don't think the way FbB wanted to play suited him particularly well and he only really played once under Hodgson and it will be interesting to know if he was carrying the injury in that Southampton game too.

Happy to see how he is now that he returns under the new manager, with new way of playing, with Wilf back. Everton, assuming he starts will be a really good indication as to what we might expect if the players stay fit.

Trying to stay optimistic.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 AM

whereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle View Post
He is offside too often, and that is down to lazyness most of the time, if it isn't then it's lack of something.
0.5 offside's on average per game this season, how awful
Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereEaglesFly View Post
0.5 offside's on average per game this season, how awful
Wilf and Sako have been offside more often in comparative playing time.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 AM

teesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineteesdale99 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I can see both sides of the argument here. The fact is he has a proven goal scoring record and his goals kept us up last year. However his all round play, pace and energy are below the standard I was expecting. He had a poor start this season, ambling around and missing sitters.

He is desperately needed now, hungry and firing on all cylinders.

Should we cash in if a sizeable January offer comes in and replace with an unknown quantity? It’s a huge risk and on balance not one I would take unless a superior and proven replacement was lined up, which given our league position and transfer record is highly unlikely.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Not sure i agree with some of the excuses and rationalisation of his early form.

I think the only reason he doesn't have 3 or more goals this season is that he has failed to take his chances. Some of them were easy, some trickier but all within his ability when on form. He played in 6 games. I don't think he needs crucifying or demonizing but he just didn't hit the 'finishing form' that we have seen before. I am pretty sure that he was carrying an injury before the Man City game and maybe that was an issue.

There is regular talk about him not getting the service. I take this to be a reference to the fact that he doesn't spend the whole day nodding in crosses. I wouldn't hold your breath. Wilf really isn't the sort of winger that does the conventional byline and cross to the far post thing. He is all about disrupting defences and creating openings. He will eventually pull it back but rarely in the air. Townsend does but TBH Benteke doesn't actually attack the ball in open play like most CFs. If it comes to him - boom - but there is little movement in the way that you would see from Carroll, Vokes or even Murray etc.. he still scores a lot of goals though and he just recovers that form we will all be happy. My point though is that we are unlikely to see a load of crosses and headed goals with this lineup. I think he has probably had more balls passed to his feet (his preference) this season than ever but when he has come to shoot it's all gone wrong.

Not scoring before November must be unusual for him and so lets hope he is hungry for it now.

I don't want to sell him but if things are looking bleak in late December I wonder if the Board will think about selling him to say Everton for big bucks and replace with Slimani leaving cash for other strengthening. Slimani is no where near as clinical but playing regularly he would chip in with goals and has the work ethic that would please crowd and Manager. As I say, I would rather keep Benteke but these will be the sort of decisions made I am sure.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
Perhaps I'm being wildly optimistic but given our last 4 performances where we have played very well except in the final third, I feel like CB is the missing piece of the puzzle. If he can play his natural game in this system I feel like it could really click.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:53 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penstone Eagle View Post
Did you see Bruce Dyer play?

Linesman used to get arm ache.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Jonathan Williams Fanclub

SteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteveyHawking : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor_Eagle View Post
Perhaps I'm being wildly optimistic but given our last 4 performances where we have played very well except in the final third, I feel like CB is the missing piece of the puzzle. If he can play his natural game in this system I feel like it could really click.
I agree and, with the 'favourable' fixtures we have coming up, he'll be integral in hauling ourselves off the bottom of the table and into the mix with the six or so clubs above us.
BBS NFL Fantasy Keeper League Champion 2015/16
Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Not sure i agree with some of the excuses and rationalisation of his early form.

I think the only reason he doesn't have 3 or more goals this season is that he has failed to take his chances. Some of them were easy, some trickier but all within his ability when on form. He played in 6 games. I don't think he needs crucifying or demonizing but he just didn't hit the 'finishing form' that we have seen before. I am pretty sure that he was carrying an injury before the Man City game and maybe that was an issue.

There is regular talk about him not getting the service. I take this to be a reference to the fact that he doesn't spend the whole day nodding in crosses. I wouldn't hold your breath. Wilf really isn't the sort of winger that does the conventional byline and cross to the far post thing. He is all about disrupting defences and creating openings. He will eventually pull it back but rarely in the air. Townsend does but TBH Benteke doesn't actually attack the ball in open play like most CFs. If it comes to him - boom - but there is little movement in the way that you would see from Carroll, Vokes or even Murray etc.. he still scores a lot of goals though and he just recovers that form we will all be happy. My point though is that we are unlikely to see a load of crosses and headed goals with this lineup. I think he has probably had more balls passed to his feet (his preference) this season than ever but when he has come to shoot it's all gone wrong.

Not scoring before November must be unusual for him and so lets hope he is hungry for it now.

I don't want to sell him but if things are looking bleak in late December I wonder if the Board will think about selling him to say Everton for big bucks and replace with Slimani leaving cash for other strengthening. Slimani is no where near as clinical but playing regularly he would chip in with goals and has the work ethic that would please crowd and Manager. As I say, I would rather keep Benteke but these will be the sort of decisions made I am sure.
In 13/14 he went 12 without a goal (hit double figures)
In 14/15 he went 7 without a goal (13 for the season)
In 15/16 he went 7 without a goal (9 for the season from limited opportunity)
Last year he went 7 without a goal (15 for the season)

He has always gone through spells of not scoring and then had purple patches where he scores regularly. Currently 6 without a goal but i would expect that to change in the next few games based on previous history.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM

Tomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTomo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Posted similar to this yesterday.
The handful of games Benteke has featured in this season, have been in a team with limited direction and failing to play to his strengths. We had no width, weren’t getting balls in the box. We lumped balls up to him, but had no one around him to play off.
He was the only striker so had to show a level of control because if he got injured/suspended we’d be in trouble (and lo and behold, we are).

He will come into a team, with a clearer strategy on how we are playing and how we need to score goals.
Wilf and Townsend are showing some form and can move to their more natural positions. But we’ve also got the bonus they’ve got a bit of experience playing up top now, and one of them will hopefully get closer to Benteke when we do go long.

Hopefully this will help him get his desire back and help fire us to safety.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
In 13/14 he went 12 without a goal (hit double figures)
In 14/15 he went 7 without a goal (13 for the season)
In 15/16 he went 7 without a goal (9 for the season from limited opportunity)
Last year he went 7 without a goal (15 for the season)

He has always gone through spells of not scoring and then had purple patches where he scores regularly. Currently 6 without a goal but i would expect that to change in the next few games based on previous history.
True for most strikers really. No need to panic. The misses that stick in the mind were uncharacteristic but it should balance out. A flurry of goals now would be handy