Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-11-2017, 01:12 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Day I went THINKING was an Arsenal fan (dad's fault) and left KNOWING I was Palace and always would be.
When Selhurst is buzzing there is nothing like it to pull on your heart strings.

Having been a Chelsea fan until, as an 8 yr old, someone at school told me that the local team, Crystal palace (had never heard of them !!) had been promoted to Div 1, I immediately switched allegiances. 8 months or so later I saw my first game at SP with 49 000 in attendance. It was against Chelsea. We lost 4-1. However instead of making we want to switch back to Chelsea, it imbedded Palace in my heart.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:12 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
1 more 3-2 win at Reading at Elm Park 1987. Richard Shaw in the story again, he made his debut for us. Also met John Burridge who was very pissed at the game
Old 13-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Power to the Palace

Skiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkiddo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Best Palace Game You Have Been To

Watford 1 Palace 3

09/10 Season

Stern John, Sean Scannell and Neil Danns with the goals.

The first time WLY properly caught on with the fans. History was made that night.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddo View Post
Watford 1 Palace 3

09/10 Season

Stern John, Sean Scannell and Neil Danns with the goals.

The first time WLY properly caught on with the fans. History was made that night.
The Lawrence / McCarthy man lovin was one of my best ever Palace moments
Old 13-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
1 more 3-2 win at Reading at Elm Park 1987. Richard Shaw in the story again, he made his debut for us. Also met John Burridge who was very pissed at the game
Was this the game where we scored all our goals in the second half, Paul Brush collapsed with a freak injury while the Reading player dribbled past him and made an assist, and it pissed down all through the game?

cpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not saycpfcpaulo2 knows the things you wanted that you could not say
Reminded me of a few here that I'd been to - Brum away was 6-0 in Sept 1987. The Arse 2-1 was immense in 1994, as was Peterborough.

I saw us beat Sheff W 3-1 away in about 2002. I think it was 3-0 at HT. Not many Palace there but was fun.
Probationary User

DaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
When Selhurst is buzzing there is nothing like it to pull on your heart strings.

Having been a Chelsea fan until, as an 8 yr old, someone at school told me that the local team, Crystal palace (had never heard of them !!) had been promoted to Div 1, I immediately switched allegiances. 8 months or so later I saw my first game at SP with 49 000 in attendance. It was against Chelsea. We lost 4-1. However instead of making we want to switch back to Chelsea, it imbedded Palace in my heart.
I bet so many Palace fans have similar stories to ours, given family pressures, it took us to bring them to their senses! Grandad was Chelsea and couldn't accept that I chose Palace, still bought me a Raleigh Chopper though so wasn't all bad! Sturmey Archer speedo doing 45mph downhill in Catford until I fell off with wheel wobble, happy days!
Old 13-11-2017, 01:22 PM

V.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineV.Meldrew : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSE24 View Post
The 2-0 win against Blackburn in our promotion season with Fleming as caretaker. It was just a sheer joy watching us that day. I didn't want the game to end.
I was going to mention this game as well, fantastic football that day, I thought the players must have been on something !

Left the ground thinking why can't we play like this every game.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Green man

OldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherstonpalace View Post
Winning 4-1 at home to Ipswich - Mariner, Muhren, Wark and all - to go top of the league in September 1979 was pretty special.
Best performance I've seen by some distance. It really was like watching Brazil (and I don't mean Alan)
Old 13-11-2017, 01:29 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Was this the game where we scored all our goals in the second half, Paul Brush collapsed with a freak injury while the Reading player dribbled past him and made an assist, and it pissed down all through the game?
Correct
1-0 down at HT. went 3-1 up then Neil Smillie pulled one back for them
Old 13-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Palace 5 (Mulligan 2, Rogers 2, Whittle)
Man Utd 0

Dec 16th 1972. Yes, it really was 45 years ago.

'Nuff said.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:52 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
Palace 5 (Mulligan 2, Rogers 2, Whittle)
Man Utd 0

Dec 16th 1972. Yes, it really was 45 years ago.

'Nuff said.
Yes, it was a bit special, but that Ipswich game was the most complete performance I can remember.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Not again Wayne

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by milky87 View Post
I have just thought of another

Winning 3 - 2 at Rotherham after being 2 down on the opening day. Jamie Smith (I think) getting a late winner and the away end was utter carnage
fire crackers being let off in the away end and the stewards being stretchered off after Smith put us 3-2 up
Old 13-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Bones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is hereBones14 Sam the man is here
Being an Aussie and living in Australia, I haven't been to many, but the best game I've seen is:
Palace 5
Portsmouth 1.
Not sure whether it was the first or second game i'd seen but the Armstrong hat trick was sublime. Southgate's goal, just unbelievable, and to be fair the Pompey goal was a belter as well.
Being there with my 2 cousins and having a pint or two pre game was an amazing memory that I'll live with forever.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:06 PM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Brighton 0 Palace 2 and Liverpool 3 Palace 4 both take some beating. Closely followed by Palace 2 Burnley 0, Palace 3 Blackburn 0, Palace 1 Sheffield United 0 and Palace 1 Watford 0.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:13 PM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Any away wins at Norwich are always special, given my location, but the 1-0 at Norwich in the 1996? Administration year was pretty special for sheer emotion as was the 3-0 demolition in the late eighties. The 10 men win at Ipswich was also special, especially the non stop renditions of Stevie Coppell's red and blue dementia!
Old 13-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Probationary User

DaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveA was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
1-0 at Bristol Rovers iin April 1979, scorching day and never looked like winning and up popped Ian Walsh. Orient quite special too, Friday night at Leicester, Doris cracker, think there was another one 11th May 1979 too Come to think of it I loved that season so much, even the bizarre game we lost at home to Fulham, crazy.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Got 99 problems...

IpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineIpswichEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace Liverpool 3-3 - Best atmosphere ever and the karma that was dished out to the not-so-secret Liverpool fans in our stands was just too good.

Palace Cardiff 3-2 (2012) - Important win, 2-0 down and a Murray hattrick. Went nuts.

Brighton Palace 0-2 - needs no words

Palace Brighton 5-0 - and you can't go home...

Tonbridge Angels Palace (no idea of the score) - friendly, rubbed Lombardo's head and Brolin's belly.

Palace Newcastle (2015?) 5-1 - strolled it. Cisse, what's the score etc etc.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill
Old 13-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Pills wont help you now

Davy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Brighton 0 Palace 2 and Liverpool 3 Palace 4 both take some beating. Closely followed by Palace 2 Burnley 0, Palace 3 Blackburn 0, Palace 1 Sheffield United 0 and Palace 1 Watford 0.
Pretty much that. Of our last promotion season i much enjoyed the 3-2 against Cardiff with that hat-trick from Murray and Cardiff fans playing keep ball only to see their 2 goal lead disappear.

'What a divergence from that playoff shambles. Palace beating the Premier League Title Holders, whilst we lose 1-0 at Rotherham FFS. What a gulf.' from NSC 6/4/15
Old 13-11-2017, 02:31 PM

foresthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietforesthillbilly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A few from the 1980's when I was a gangly 6ft 14yr old visiting Selhurst in the Holmesdale terracing. No specific game as such, but remember the fear and excitement as Palace score , and lifted in a Tsunami of Palace fans down the gradient, over the advertising hoardings and onto pitch-side. We invented crowd-surfing

Then the mad scramble back onto the terracing and getting as far back as you could before the re-start