Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzhiyi View Post
Also, winning 3-0 away at Bramall Lane in the Dowie era. Colin get dog's abuse for the last thirty – little did we know he'd one day be in our dugout – and a memorable celebratory night out in Sheffield, hosted by Stavbot 69, followed.

Our biggest ever away win at Sheffield United, surely?
It was only £10 a ticket too.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:38 PM

JackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJackTheBiscuit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
This!
Although weren't we on a pretty impressive run of form, too, at the time.
One of the few times I was genuinely worried about getting back to the station in one piece!
I seem to recall the 400 or so Palace just going totally mental as the goals went in, as if to say, "well, we're not making it out of here alive, so may as well enjoy it!"
How do you think I felt in the City main stand
Old 13-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Biscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBiscuitboffin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
I'd give a mention for Crystal Palace 5-1 Pompey in August 93'. It was very early on in the season and we'd been a bit stop start bit this game and then things "clicked" and you could see how good we'd be that campaign. We played good free flowing football and Armstrong looked superb. It was also the dawning of a new era after the Coppell era
Two of my favourite goals in this game too. Chrisy Armstrong’s diving header from near the edge of the box, and Gareth Southgate winning the ball deep in our own corner and running virtually unchallenged diagonally across the pitch before smashing it into the top corner from about 25 yards. We were imperious that day.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:45 PM

Simonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkSimonro sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Most of the above but also Palace 5, Man U 0 1972; and 2-2 away against Sheffield Wednesday 2010.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc View Post
Yes, it was a bit special, but that Ipswich game was the most complete performance I can remember.
With one of best goals seen at Selhurst when Jim Cannon finished off that flowing move. And it moved us top of the old 1st Division. Before Vennerballs turned to the dark side, he did have us playing some good stuff.
Old 13-11-2017, 03:16 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
A game that stands out for me is a midweek game under the lights at Selhurst, I think in 1972. 2 nil down against a very strong Arsenal after only 5 mins. The atmosphere in the place as we battled back to get a 2-2 draw has stayed with me to this day. Bobby Kellard became a Palace hero to me on that night. The pride I felt as I left the ground has never been bettered.
Was a fantastic game, although the point meant a lot to us as we were still fighting for our lives to stay up. As regards a strong Arsenal side, if I remember rightly they made a number of changes for the match as they had a cup semi-final on the Saturday. That was practically unheard of in those days and I think they might have been brought before the F.A over it. Also memorable for the fact that for the first time in the top flight the Holmesdale never got taken by a London club.
5-0 v United has to be up there, along with a 3-3 draw with Plymouth in 74
Old 13-11-2017, 04:13 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherstonpalace View Post
Winning 4-1 at home to Ipswich - Mariner, Muhren, Wark and all - to go top of the league in September 1979 was pretty special.
Concur 100%. Arguably the best performance by a Palace team and the best goal ever scored at Selhurst too IMO.

John BURRIDGE, Paul HINSHELWOOD •, Kenny SANSOM, Jim CANNON •, Billy GILBERT, Peter NICHOLAS, Gerry FRANCIS •p, Jerry MURPHY, Vince HILAIRE, Mike FLANAGAN, Dave SWINDLEHURST •

Paul COOPER, George BURLEY, Mick MILLS, Frans THIJSSEN, Russell OSMAN, Terry BUTCHER, John WARK, Arnold MÜHREN, Paul MARINER, Eric GATES •, Steve McCALL. (Roger OSBORNE)

Some names to conjur with there, plus Terry Venables and Bobby Robson as opposing managers.
Old 13-11-2017, 04:25 PM

j_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minej_muller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Apart from the major games I would say 2 stand out. The first is Crystanbul, Suarez crying topped off a memorable night ( or at least a memorable 20 mins).

The second game is the 6-3 home win against Stoke during our promotion season in 2004.
Old 13-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Balding Eagle

Palace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
4-3 Liverpool
3-2 away at Everton first season in prem
4-2 away at reading
4-1 away at millwall
3-3 cup final
Crystanbul
ZDS Final
5-0 v Swindon in 70s

Best game being taken to cleaners... any 1-4 defeat you care to pick away at Ashton Gate!
Also demolished 5-0 at the Manor by a very slick Oxford United in late 84
Old 13-11-2017, 04:42 PM

sideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesideburns7 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitboffin View Post
Two of my favourite goals in this game too. Chrisy Armstrong’s diving header from near the edge of the box, and Gareth Southgate winning the ball deep in our own corner and running virtually unchallenged diagonally across the pitch before smashing it into the top corner from about 25 yards. We were imperious that day.
That was one of the best goals I've seen at selhurst
Lovely day standing on the holmesdale and he just kept running
Beautiful goal
Old 13-11-2017, 04:49 PM

Mark Johnson is jogging along the touchline, pleading to get onMark Johnson is jogging along the touchline, pleading to get on
Brighton playoff bloody brilliant ��
Old 13-11-2017, 05:02 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
1 more 3-2 win at Reading at Elm Park 1987. Richard Shaw in the story again, he made his debut for us. Also met John Burridge who was very pissed at the game
Loved that game. We came out in the second half and totally destroyed them. But in classic Palace style back then, nearly threw it away.

Just checked the record books: Wright, Bright and Nebbeling scored all in front of the Palace end. The crowd was just 6,000, but from memory I remember it being quite a volatile and loud atmosphere....felt more like 60,000
Old 13-11-2017, 05:35 PM

TenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expand
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
1987: Man C 1 Palace 3.
Unbelievable game. City were on a crazy long unbeaten run which included a 10-1 massacre of Huddersfield. No one gave us a chance. Went 1 down midway through the second half but then Brighty got their keeper Nixon sent off and all hell broke loose. Wright and Bright ran rampage and the 400 or so Palace faithful were lucky to get out alive as 25,000 City fans scaled the fences screaming, 'There's gonna be a riot!'
Remember it well. One of my favourite away wins too.
Could also add the 6-0 win at Birmingham the same season
Old 13-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Dave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Back in the 1960's we went to loftus road against marsh Lazarus etc. we went 2-0 up they came back to 2-2. We went 4-2 - game ended 4-3. I think we bought Lazarus after that.
Old 13-11-2017, 06:04 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Concur 100%. Arguably the best performance by a Palace team and the best goal ever scored at Selhurst too IMO.

John BURRIDGE, Paul HINSHELWOOD •, Kenny SANSOM, Jim CANNON •, Billy GILBERT, Peter NICHOLAS, Gerry FRANCIS •p, Jerry MURPHY, Vince HILAIRE, Mike FLANAGAN, Dave SWINDLEHURST •

Paul COOPER, George BURLEY, Mick MILLS, Frans THIJSSEN, Russell OSMAN, Terry BUTCHER, John WARK, Arnold MÜHREN, Paul MARINER, Eric GATES •, Steve McCALL. (Roger OSBORNE)

Some names to conjur with there, plus Terry Venables and Bobby Robson as opposing managers.
Venables and Robson: the 2 most successful England managers in the last 50 years.

Was an amazing day. I was only 6 at the time so didn't really appreciate how well the team played but still understood the enormity of the result. Recall getting home and my dad calling me to 'Quickly, look at the tele!', to see the table and Palace sitting on top. What a lovely feeling. Little did that little boy know that he would never see that again!
Old 13-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFourtyTwo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzhiyi View Post
Also, winning 3-0 away at Bramall Lane in the Dowie era. Colin get dog's abuse for the last thirty – little did we know he'd one day be in our dugout – and a memorable celebratory night out in Sheffield, hosted by Stavbot 69, followed.

Our biggest ever away win at Sheffield United, surely?
I had not long moved up north at that point, so was in a position where I could have gone to the game. We were in the process of buying a house, which as a student meant I was watching my money, and whilst tickets were only £10 the train from Huddersfield to Sheffield is ridiculously priced, given the relative distance.

Add to that the fact that we very rarely won at Sheffield Utd at that point in time (or at least that was how it felt), and I decided to save the money and go and watch Huddersfield v Darlington for £1 with a couple of uni mates instead.

It was, without doubt, the worst game of football I have ever seen (and I've been right down to Ryman Div 3 level watching Braintree in the past). I'm not sure there were 5 passes strung together all match, and Darlington, who hadn't won away all season at that point, managed to win 2-0 - including one goal which was a cross which got caught by the wind and blew into the top corner of the goal.

It was bloody freezing and devoid of any meaningful atmosphere (save the 50 or so Darlington fans), and then gets topped off by seeing the screens on the way out showing we'd won 3 - 0. It made me miserable as hell, to the point where I couldn't be bothered to go for a beer afterwards, so annoyed at myself for making the wrong decision!

So yeah, not a fan of that match

For me, it's a hard one to call, as you could say any matches in promotion seasons had things riding on it. I would say Southend away for the evening kick off where we took over what seemed like 75% of the ground was a good one, just for the atmosphere on the day alone.

Oh, and I also missed the 5-1 versus Portsmouth due to a wedding
Old 13-11-2017, 06:28 PM

glenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Loved being there for obvious reasons when we trounced Norwich 5-1 at Selhurst. Nicky Rizzo bagged a cracker and Lombardo and Matt Jansen gave me one my best birthday presents by shoving it to the club i hate more than most. We were awesome that day and you really felt we were going somewhere but we all know the rest.
Still have fond memories of the ZDS cup final as well......Neville Southall

Last edited by glenn.f; 13-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 13-11-2017, 06:29 PM

montrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemontrealeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace 2 Burnley 0 , last game of the 78/79 season. It felt as if the whole Universe was focused on Selhurst Park.
Old 13-11-2017, 06:33 PM

glenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealeagle View Post
Palace 2 Burnley 0 , last game of the 78/79 season. It felt as if the whole Universe was focused on Selhurst Park.
My Dad maintains this as still his greatest Palace day in the flesh, all i remember is him refusing to take me, stating it was no place for a six year old. I guess he was probably right.
Old 13-11-2017, 06:34 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Brighton 0 Palace 2 and Liverpool 3 Palace 4 both take some beating. Closely followed by Palace 2 Burnley 0, Palace 3 Blackburn 0, Palace 1 Sheffield United 0 and Palace 1 Watford 0.
meant to be games that didn't actually mean much