Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 13-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Setting up a website

I'm looking to set up a website for my new business. What's the best way to go about this? Having a look online, the obvious and possibly most cost efficient option seems to be GoDaddy and then using Wordpress to build the site. Does that sound correct?

Short term I'm just looking to grab the domain and get the home page set up with a 'coming soon' message. Long term I'm hoping to have a website that says stuff about what I do, with a contact me page, etc. It doesn't need to be an amazing website, just not one that looks crap.

Any advice on this would be really appreciated
Old 13-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Get someone who knows what they're doing to set it all up for you.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Did you used to write for Viz.?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 13-11-2017, 01:56 PM

gjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Get someone who knows what they're doing to set it all up for you.
This
However doesn't mean it has to cost you that much.

I used a guy who is great with Wordpress, meaning that he could simply create something that I think looks really good (and not charge me too much) but also means I can update text and simple parts myself without having to pay someone to do so.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:58 PM

gjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegjohnk : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Oh and I am fortunate my brother is good at this type of thing so he's always sorted out my hosting - he has however just moved all his hosting to GoDaddy. So they may be a good option.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:02 PM

CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON CPFC2010ANDON
Whoever you use, don't use 1and1 as they are shit and it has been established from recent experience that you are very limited with building the site when using and Microsoft browser.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Old 13-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010ANDON View Post
Whoever you use, don't use 1and1 as they are shit and it has been established from recent experience that you are very limited with building the site when using and Microsoft browser.
你是从中文翻译的还是你真的很厚?

Last edited by Blind_Eagle; 13-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 13-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Back in a Sublime place

Vendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietVendy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
I'm looking to set up a website for my new business. What's the best way to go about this? Having a look online, the obvious and possibly most cost efficient option seems to be GoDaddy and then using Wordpress to build the site. Does that sound correct?

Short term I'm just looking to grab the domain and get the home page set up with a 'coming soon' message. Long term I'm hoping to have a website that says stuff about what I do, with a contact me page, etc. It doesn't need to be an amazing website, just not one that looks crap.

Get you own hosting and buy the domain and hosting from someone like 4UHosting.co.uk I use them and they are relaible - they are just resellers but unless you its massive visitors and pages just the basic hosting.

Write everything down I have loads of domains and forget where I registered half of them!

Don't know how computer literate you are but free software like Rocket Cake will give you a basic page pretty easily. It is like Word so no HTML knowledge, and makes mobile friendly websites

You will need to download Filezilla. It all sounds complicated but most of it is a piece of piss.

Happy to give you some free advice - all self taught and I am an old fogey.

Or if you want a to spend I can recommend a design company that would knock one up
Old 13-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Eagle View Post
你是从中文翻译的还是你真的很厚?
A very sly way of bypassing the swear filter?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 13-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post

I used To view the link you have to Register or Login to put my website together (To view the link you have to Register or Login). They can supply the domain and hosting. It's very easy to use (the templates are comprehensive and reasonably good). It's also reasonably priced.

I use To view the link you have to Register or Login for the enquiries and the contract T&C's.
Old 13-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I used To view the link you have to Register or Login to put my website together (To view the link you have to Register or Login). They can supply the domain and hosting. It's very easy to use (the templates are comprehensive and reasonably good). It's also reasonably priced.
I keep seeing wix adverts on Youtube - thought they looked promising, and good to hear real life feedback.
Old 13-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A quick thought - don't forget you'll still need to market your business after the website's set up. Some people might think "I've set up my website, now I'll just wait for the business to roll in". It won't. No one will know about your website unless you tell them and having something of real interest to them.
Old 13-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
A very sly way of bypassing the swear filter?
Not at all, no. It was merely a question.
Old 13-11-2017, 04:47 PM

Icy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Buy your domain from somebody reputable. Wordpress is good base for the website design and there are plenty of free and paid templates to get started with that you can update easily. You can practice with the freebie wordpress before you get started on the real thing.

As per Louis note above, this is only going to help your existing marketing. A new website is highly unlikely to appear in search engine rankings, so the only traffic will be through paid advertising or your direct real life referrals.

Before you get started on a real site (paid or self created) it's worth doing some reading, researching your competitors and developing a proper strategy (such as keywords/phrases you are targeting) as these will help you create clear goals and a framework for the future.

Finally, referrals from trusted sites, use of educational marketing and regular subject matter expertise in the forms of blogs etc will be best forms for driving traffic once your up and running.

Good luck
Old 13-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSlimbloke'H' came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

I use To view the link you have to Register or Login for the enquiries and the contract T&C's.
Blatant abuse of Mod powers - you know full well that advertising is not permitted on the BBS.

" Heh, Norm! How's life treating you?"

"Like I just ran over his dog."
Old 13-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Old School Palace

Pistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is herePistol Knight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' View Post
Blatant abuse of Mod powers - you know full well that advertising is not permitted on the BBS.
ha ha first thing I though

Naughty showoff James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Montana
Can you imagine the sky commentators making some reference to South Londoners enjoying their day out - cut to a 40 year old in full Palace kit dribbling whilst a mexican wave flies past.
http://www.fishfight.net
http://www.fsf.org.uk/

ST Holder:Block D: Lower Homesdale
Old 13-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
你是从中文翻译的还是你真的很厚?
i do like your occasional posts.
Old 13-11-2017, 05:37 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
你是从中文翻译的还是你真的很厚?
The latter, plus a bit of:

Old 13-11-2017, 05:51 PM

nicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnicknackpalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Don't rush. Take your time. Assess what you really need your website for. How professional do you need your website to look? How important is ranking in Google to you?

My twopennorth:
Don't use Godaddy - can end up quite expensive for renewals.
Wix and other "build your own" options can use bloated code = slower load speed = may be harder to rank in Google.
+1 for don't use 1and1 - worst ever!
Don't spend a fortune on an amazing site if you don't need it.
You can build your own in Wordpress. It's harder to use than wix etc but gives better results and probably better for SEO.
Is it worth your time investment to build your own site or would it be a better use of your time to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it?

And finally a shameless plug for myself. I design wordpress sites for businesses at low cost (mainly one man businesses with a modest budget) If you want more info PM me. I have one BBS user amongst my customers.

Last edited by nicknackpalace; 13-11-2017 at 05:54 PM.