Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 29-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
WBA (away)

Typically Pardew first game.. hope his incompetence kicks in straight away

For me we need to use wilf better but I know Roy loves a ‘4-4-2’ so -

Hennessey

Ward Tomkins sakho schlupp

Zaha Cabaye luka Townsend

RLC

Benteke

Subs - speroni, TFM, Dann, MacArthur, punch, Sako, pva
Old 29-11-2017, 11:27 AM

ForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is here
Give Cabaye and RLC a rest, both looked ****ed after 60 mins. Replace with McArthur and Punch. I'd even consider TFM at RB and Ward at LB or vice versa, as Schlupp offered nothing going forward or defending last night.
Old 29-11-2017, 11:28 AM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaPalace View Post
Give Cabaye and RLC a rest, both looked ****ed after 60 mins. Replace with McArthur and Punch. I'd even consider TFM at RB and Ward at LB or vice versa, as Schlupp offered nothing going forward or defending last night.
Punch shouldn’t be anywhere near the pitch
Old 29-11-2017, 11:41 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkymonk View Post

Hennessey

RLC

Benteke

Yep. That’s it for me

Not sure cabaye or Ruben will last 90 so Jimmy will have a big part to play. If both do go off then something like

Punch/Sako——Luka——-Jimmy—-Townsend
————-——benteke—-zaha———————

To finish the game. Hopefully though one of them is ok for 90
Old 29-11-2017, 11:42 AM

HRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHRP came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
anyone who claps Pardew or sings supa al at this games should be banned for life, we are in our current position due to this ****wit
Old 29-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Yep. That’s it for me

Not sure cabaye or Ruben will last 90 so Jimmy will have a big part to play. If both do go off then something like

Punch/Sako——Luka——-Jimmy—-Townsend
————-——benteke—-zaha———————

To finish the game. Hopefully though one of them is ok for 90
They’ll be fine.
Old 29-11-2017, 11:56 AM

GB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGB2506 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Please play Wilf out wide!! He is completely and utterly wasted in a front 2 down the middle. He was pretty much anonymous last night.
Old 29-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Roy has got to start using subs to take some strain off his first eleven, or rotating. The games come thick and fast from here on.
Old 29-11-2017, 12:18 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
They’ll be fine.
You’ve been right about Ruben as I didn’t think he’d play so much in the last two. Let’s hope you carry on
Old 29-11-2017, 12:19 PM

TheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTheCharmer1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Hennessey

RLC

Benteke

if we insist on 442, 4411, swap townsend and Zaha on the flanks too. We could also play 4231 with the same starting 11, again with RLC central off benteke
Old 29-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
I put some of this in the player ratings but seems maybe more relevant here.

a big part of the reason we have looked so solid of late is because Roy has adopted a narrow formation 2 banks of 4. By staying narrow there is less room between the defenders and equally the midfielders aren't being asked to patrol huge open spaces. This helps both Luka and Cabaye. So we are playing with wide midfielders rather than touchline hugging wingers. The wide midfielders help negate/limit any attacking full backs and the diagonal passes to the wingers. So that gives a firm foundation as long as everyone does their job. That allows the front 2 some latitude to roam as long as they position/press when we don't have the ball.

Although Wilf has had some success up front and I do think he can evolve into that extra special player up there it's not who he is today and one problem for Roy is does he persevere or does he look to pull Wilf wider for now. But playing wide midfield isn't necessarily right for Wilf either and so do you then lose his ability in both areas and gain nothing? I had expected Wilf to be far better than he is currently at running the channels and picking up flick-ons from Big Ben but it really hasn't been working. Running into the channels he should be able to do his wing thing but further up the pitch. He tends to want it into his feet and 'leave it to him' but that isn't working either because I have noticed that they are hitting him very early now and he is rarely completing the turn even.

So when everyone clamours for swapping Ruben and Wilf (which I can understand and would like to see) I don't think Roy gets to keep his narrow formation. Playing Andros and Wilf inside is possible but they won't be free to do the 'wing thing that they do when in a 5 because they are in a 4.

Is Roy going to abandon the 4 and 4 ? I just can't see it TBH. So I guess I am saying that even if Roy does swap Wilf and Ruben I don't think we will Wilf the winger back and a lot of the time he will be on the corner of our penalty area.

If we do drop to a 4 5 1 (which I think is very unlikely with Roy ) then the wingers are going to have to run and run to get back with attacking full backs and into the box 2 secs later to support Benteke. I just don't think Roy will go for it and he may well be right. The magic answer is that Wilf magically 'gets it'. I wouldn't rule that out but needs to hurry up.

So expect to be disappointed I think.
Old 29-11-2017, 01:05 PM

carter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcarter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was confident about this match until Pardew was announced! If we don’t play Zaha wide and Ruben through the middle then I’ll take a point already. Busy schedule is coming up so you’d hope PVA, TFM and Puncheon would be ready to step in. Would also like to see Reidewald soon but can only imagine he’s leaving in January

Hennessey
TFM Tomkins Sakho PVA
Ruben Luka Cabaye
Zaha Benteke Townsend
Old 29-11-2017, 01:33 PM

jobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is here
Henesssy

Ward
Tomkins
Sahko
Schlupp

Wilf
Luka
Cabaye
RLC
Townsend

Benteke
Old 29-11-2017, 01:47 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
-------------------------Hennessey---------------------------
Ward----------Tomkins-------------Sakho-----------Schlupp
Townsend-----Cabaye-------Luka-----------RLC-------------
----------------Benteke-----------------Zaha------------------

Just think we would be more balanced with Townsend's pace and energy on the right, as Ward is so slow and gets a nosebleed when he crosses the halfway line. RLC tucked in and able to carry the ball from deep. Schlupp has the pace to get up and down to provide width on the left, and to cope better than Ward with a 2 on 1 imho.

Zaha in a free role, able to run the channels on the left and the right. Think if Pardew tries to attack us we will pick them off.

Last edited by glaziers fan; 29-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 29-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
———————-Jules——————-
Ward—Tomkins—Sakho—Jeff
———————-Luka——————-
——Jimmy Mac———Cabaye—-
Wilf————Big Ben———Andros
Old 29-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRP View Post
anyone who claps Pardew or sings supa al at this games should be banned for life, we are in our current position due to this ****wit
A ****wit allowed to stay in the job for too long
Old 29-11-2017, 02:04 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
Play Mutch and hope he has half a decent game to catch Pardew's eye again with January coming up.

Clinton Morrison.
Old 29-11-2017, 02:14 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I put some of this in the player ratings but seems maybe more relevant here.

a big part of the reason we have looked so solid of late is because Roy has adopted a narrow formation 2 banks of 4. By staying narrow there is less room between the defenders and equally the midfielders aren't being asked to patrol huge open spaces. This helps both Luka and Cabaye. So we are playing with wide midfielders rather than touchline hugging wingers. The wide midfielders help negate/limit any attacking full backs and the diagonal passes to the wingers. So that gives a firm foundation as long as everyone does their job. That allows the front 2 some latitude to roam as long as they position/press when we don't have the ball.

Although Wilf has had some success up front and I do think he can evolve into that extra special player up there it's not who he is today and one problem for Roy is does he persevere or does he look to pull Wilf wider for now. But playing wide midfield isn't necessarily right for Wilf either and so do you then lose his ability in both areas and gain nothing? I had expected Wilf to be far better than he is currently at running the channels and picking up flick-ons from Big Ben but it really hasn't been working. Running into the channels he should be able to do his wing thing but further up the pitch. He tends to want it into his feet and 'leave it to him' but that isn't working either because I have noticed that they are hitting him very early now and he is rarely completing the turn even.

So when everyone clamours for swapping Ruben and Wilf (which I can understand and would like to see) I don't think Roy gets to keep his narrow formation. Playing Andros and Wilf inside is possible but they won't be free to do the 'wing thing that they do when in a 5 because they are in a 4.

Is Roy going to abandon the 4 and 4 ? I just can't see it TBH. So I guess I am saying that even if Roy does swap Wilf and Ruben I don't think we will Wilf the winger back and a lot of the time he will be on the corner of our penalty area.

If we do drop to a 4 5 1 (which I think is very unlikely with Roy ) then the wingers are going to have to run and run to get back with attacking full backs and into the box 2 secs later to support Benteke. I just don't think Roy will go for it and he may well be right. The magic answer is that Wilf magically 'gets it'. I wouldn't rule that out but needs to hurry up.

So expect to be disappointed I think.
We haven't really seen Benteke and Zaha together for that long. They linked well for the first 25 mins against Brighton, and the big chance was from a Benteke flick on header with Wilf running onto it IIRC. However it is actually very difficult to flick on to the strike partner every time, especially if the opposition are expecting it. Dunk and Duffy just dropped off and outnumbered Wilf, and because the balls were straight it is easy to defend. Also, Brighton were very deep. They played as the away team and this meant there was no space for Wilf to work with. The problem we have is that no-one other than Benteke actually wants to be in the box! CB held it up very well, but our attacks were slow with a lot of sideways passing. We are going to find it hard to score against teams that defend deep unless we get a bit of magic from Wilf (I felt he ran the channels ok) and Benteke shows a bit more movement and gets a quality cross in to work with - Townsend cross you speak of was very good but just too far ahead of him otherwise he would have scored. But we have to understand that was Christian's first game back, and actually against Dunk and Duffy, one of the best aerial defensive partnerships in the league, it was always going to be tough.

Actually, what has impressed me about Zaha this season is how well he has performed in home games where the opposition do sit back, and that he has scored at Selhurst so regularly. He will always be a danger away from home when the teams press forward. Against Tottenham he almost scored with acres of space for him to run into, and he will be even more threatening now Benteke is back. I've seen Benteke and Zaha link up very well previously, most notably at Stamford Bridge when they tore the Champions to shreds and won the game with 2 pieces of magic. They will create havoc in away games when the opposition come onto us.

The key for me is service, and getting bodies in the box (RLC and Zaha especially). That's why I would like to see RLC playing narrow midfield on the left, and Townsend on the right. It is the only permutation we haven't tried and it would make us more balanced imho. Townsend would provide width on the right, and RLC would bolster the centre mid. Sadly I think I'm going to be as disappointed and frustrated as the fans that want to see RLC in the middle and Wilf out wide!
Old 29-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
If Wilf continues to play off Benteke up front, he needs to spend more time much closer to him. Last night a number of Benteke headers went into space but Wilf was too far away, making a different kind of run. He needs to start reading Benteke's flicks and anticipating them better.

I still think he's better wider, where he can take on a fullback and whip in a cross, or cut back and carry the ball into the penalty area. It's in these positions that he scares the shit out of defenders, not with his back to goal.
Old 29-11-2017, 02:51 PM

rambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrambo1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
-----------Hennessey---------------
Ward---Tomkins--Sakho(C)---Schulpp
---------Luka----Cabaye------------
Townsend------RLC-------------Zaha
------------Benteke-----------------

Subs-
Speroni,Van Aanholt,Dann,TFM,McArthur,Sako,Puncheon.