Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I adored Vince, but Wilf has turned into the player Vince threatened to become.
Totally. I always played left wing as a kid and the first time I saw Hilaire play I was in genuine awe, loved him (and his afro), I thought he was amazing, no doubt all time favourite players Hilaire and Zaha.

Wright ruined his idle status by being a twat.
Old 19-12-2017, 07:57 PM

Jason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJason came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Vince Hillaire was my childhood hero. I've also had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions and he provided one of those apparently rare moments where meeting your heroes doesn't disappoint as he was thoroughly engaging company and answered fan type questions he must have heard a thousand times with grace and what seemed genuine enthusiasm. So in many ways it pains me to say it, but it has to be Wilf.

Vince excited like few others have. He was a rare bright spot in some really rubbish times , and he often threatened to turn into a truly top winger . But while Vince threatened to become a top player, Wilf has given the excitement and outstanding club service and developed into a genuine top class player. If there were to be a poll tomorrow to decide the ultimate Palace legend, I could truly see him winning it. What's more, if there was a poll for the same thing in 20 years, he would probably be in the mix even then.

So it has to be a big win for Wilf. But that takes nothing away from Vince, who clearly remains one of our club's all time heroes for so many reasons.
Old 19-12-2017, 10:39 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Loved Vince, but Zaha is light years ahead
Old 19-12-2017, 11:07 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cannon View Post
Loved Vince, but Zaha is light years ahead
We agree again Jim, see post 15.
Old 19-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Tomato Sausage Muncher

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
Totally. I always played left wing as a kid and the first time I saw Hilaire play I was in genuine awe, loved him (and his afro), I thought he was amazing, no doubt all time favourite players Hilaire and Zaha.

Wright ruined his idle status by being a twat.
One thing Wrighty wasn’t was idle !

Zaha is miles ahead of Vince. But Vince was a hero
Old 19-12-2017, 11:30 PM

Ogilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOgilvy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For me Hilaire was Wilf a couple of years ago, a great PALACE player. I think Wilf is now a great player, so Wilf for me, we will look back in a couple of years and say that we saw him in the red and blue. I think he is approaching his peak and will be the greatest ever player we had at selhurst. It seems inevitable he will move on, and I really hope he picks well and fulfills his obvious potential. Keep us up and maybe one more year, please?
Old 20-12-2017, 12:48 PM
77/78 Admiral Away Torso

Del Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDel Fenner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
They both scored 2 in a match against the Weed which puts them neck and neck.
Old 20-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Payroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is herePayroll Legend Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I adored Vince, but Wilf has turned into the player Vince threatened to become.
Yep
Old 20-12-2017, 04:17 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
I watched both Vince and Wilf as they progressed through the Palace youth system - hard to believe it is well over 40 years ago since Vince made his Palace debut.

That Palace junior squad between 1975 -1977 produced so many great players, Sansom, Nicholas, Fenwick, Murphy, Gilbert, Walsh, Lovell not forgetting that once they made the first team at Palace, they were joining players like Cannon, Hinshelwood (in fact there were two, Paul and Martin), Swindlehurst and Kember who had all been Palace juniors too - Palace really were a home grown club in the mid to late 70's.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that Vince had about a sensational youth career at Palace, helping us win the FA Youth Cup in 1977 and 1978 ( from memory, Palace reached the quarter finals in the previous two years aswell, when we were still a Third Division club!) - Vince, from my point of view, was an unfinished diamond of a player.

He so easily would beat players out wide, but often would cut back on himself without finishing the move with a killer pass or a shot, in fact very similar to Wilf's lack of decision making at a similar age (17-21).

By the time he had become established, having made a few 1st team appearances in 1977 and 1978, we had that monumental season in 78/79, winning the old 2 Division (Championship) probably our greatest ever Palace team (1990/91 were great, but not so many home grown players and a more physical style than 1979) by the start of only his third full season, 1980/81, Palace were in complete turmoil, on and off the pitch, so I feel the constant struggles Palace had in that terrible season 1980/81 - the worst season in Palace history and the following three years under Gradi, Kember and Mullery, which were four of the hardest years I can remember, Vince's talent was not able to flourish as I feel it undoubtedly would in a more successful environment.

So yes, Wilf has easily become the more rounded player now, more mature and a far better decision maker than in his youth - I just feel Vince would have improved to a similar extent had he been playing in the top division for five seasons as Wilf has, instead of just two.

As far as I'm aware, Vince is held in high regard by Portsmouth and Leeds fans where he spent the majority of his career after leaving Palace.

Vince will always be a major hero to all of us who followed Palace in the 70s and 80s,
very proud and priveleged to see him play - Wilf is now on another level - two very special and talented Palace players that will always be part of the fabric of supporting Palace.
Old 20-12-2017, 06:17 PM
52 years and counting...

Chobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietChobham Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Vince was brilliant.

But Wilf is even better.
Old 20-12-2017, 06:35 PM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess hill 84 View Post
Who was better?

Vince Hilare 293 Games , 36 Goals.

Wilf Zaha 157 games , 20 goals.
Their games played and goals scored ratio are pretty similar at the moment but I think Roy can get more end product out of Wilf (ie goals) and expect Wilf will start scoring at a higher rate from now on.
Old 20-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Scrambled Egg

Son of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSon of Selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I'd like to see Wilf play with the ball that Vince played with
Old 20-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Selhurst View Post
I'd like to see Wilf play with the ball that Vince played with

I would like Vince or Wilf play with the soggy leather ball which was in use before either played for Palace.
Old 20-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Wilf is the best player ever to play for Palace.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 20-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wilf is fast and exciting, carries the ball well and is improving but you just cannot compare players such as Sansom,Cannon,Hudgell who are defenders. Wilf cannot be compared to Wright for goal scoring nor Byrne for creativity.

We have also had players such as Don Rogers and Peter Taylor. You could argue that Wilf is the best ever in his position and carried this team on his shoulders but Sansom for example was exceptional when with us.
Old 20-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Newbury Eagles

Langers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is hereLangers Sam the man is here
Wilf plays much better football, on much better pitches
Old 20-12-2017, 11:00 PM

CPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The whole best ever stuff is just pointless.

Are you saying Wilf is a better defender then Andy Thorn?

Is Wilf a better striker than Ian Wright?

He maybe the best winger we have ever had but not the best player.

His competition in terms of similarity is John Salako since 1990 (never saw Rogers, Taylor and Hilaire). Salako played in our best ever team.

My midfield is Lombardo - Thomas - Gray - Salako.
Old 20-12-2017, 11:05 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Wilf is the best player ever to play for Palace.
I don't disagree but long term supporters like me could argue that Johnny Byrne and Don Rogers run him close.
Old 20-12-2017, 11:08 PM

CPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC.1990 View Post
The whole best ever stuff is just pointless.

Are you saying Wilf is a better defender then Andy Thorn?

Is Wilf a better striker than Ian Wright?

He maybe the best winger we have ever had but not the best player.

His competition in terms of similarity is John Salako since 1990 (never saw Rogers, Taylor and Hilaire). Salako played in our best ever team.

My midfield is Lombardo - Thomas - Gray - Salako.
Wilf is better than Salad. Come on 1990, my young Junior
Old 20-12-2017, 11:28 PM

CPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC.1990 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC since 1989 View Post
Wilf is better than Salad. Come on 1990, my young Junior