Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-12-2017, 11:47 PM

wrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
When was a kid Vince was one of my favorite players but don't think he got to the level he should have think wilf will reach them hights
Old 21-12-2017, 01:33 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
As others have said, it is always difficult to judge who's better in footballing terms.

That's why I always go with hair. Arise, King Vincent
Old 21-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Don't see Wilf moving on to Luton Town - which shows that times change.

Wilf.

Was a massive factor in our promotion season.
Has done most of the heavy lifting so far this season.

Both good players - Wilf has had more impact.
Old 21-12-2017, 07:51 PM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
Don't see Wilf moving on to Luton Town - which shows that times change.

Wilf.

Was a massive factor in our promotion season.
Has done most of the heavy lifting so far this season.

Both good players - Wilf has had more impact.
Agree. When Vince goes he will go to a top line club(hopefully in Europe). One of the things with Vince ,and that "Team of the 80's" with one or two exceptions, Kenny Sansom obviously. None of them seemed to do much after they left Palace. Apart from Sansom the most successful was the least talented , Terry Fenwick.
Old 21-12-2017, 08:00 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This thread needs to move side ways....was Peter Taylor better than Vince?
Old 21-12-2017, 08:03 PM

Harry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHarry Bassett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Agree. When Vince goes he will go to a top line club(hopefully in Europe). One of the things with Vince ,and that "Team of the 80's" with one or two exceptions, Kenny Sansom obviously. None of them seemed to do much after they left Palace. Apart from Sansom the most successful was the least talented , Terry Fenwick.
Billy Gilbert, Peter Nicholas,Jerry Murphy and Ian Walsh all did well.
Old 21-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Sodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSodermalm came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Was John Salako better than Vince?
Old 21-12-2017, 09:32 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Hilaire was my first Palace hero and was breath taking to watch at times, but I have to say - sorry Vince - Zaha is better.
Old 21-12-2017, 11:20 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bassett View Post
This thread needs to move side ways....was Peter Taylor better than Vince?
I'd probably put Taylor slightly ahead on overall consistency but some of the things I saw Vince do were outrageous. Interestingly, both played sublime football on sh*t pitches - something that Wilf doesn't have to endure.
Old 22-12-2017, 12:07 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Wilf is the best player Palace has ever produced.
Old 22-12-2017, 07:07 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodermalm View Post
Was John Salako better than Vince?
Far more direct style than Vince, he would probably have got a proper bollocking from people like Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Steve Coppell or Alan Smith if he tried to go on the mazy runs that Hilaire was famous for- so difficult to compare the two, I'm not sure how an enigmatic player like Vince would fit in to the very physical and not so expansive style that Palace became under Coppell.

Vince was quite a diminuitive guy compared to Salako (who was not that tall either!) but more than made up for it with his pace and trickery on the ball.

He also had players like Nicholas, Gilbert and Cannon around him, who were some of the toughest guys to pull on a Palace shirt, I can't remember him getting outmuscled too often, but he did knock over a referee once!
Old 22-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Location: currently on steep hill overlooking Hastings and the sea
DocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Vince was a hero for me and home and away I probably saw 75% of his games.

But Wilf is the complete article as his finishing is so improved

So it's Wilf by a head
Old 22-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Hilaire was my first Palace hero and was breath taking to watch at times, but I have to say - sorry Vince - Zaha is better.
Same here, Bubbs.
I love Vince but he's not a patch on Wilf.
Old 22-12-2017, 05:50 PM

glenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
This for me with bells on. I've never seen a player as good as Zaha with the bar still going higher in a Palace shirt and i loved Vince to bits as a kid.
Old 23-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I still remember, so vividly, that night in 1979, when Hilaire crossed that ball for Walsh to head in that crucial first goal. Vince was standing absolutely right in line with me when that ball was crossed, and the moment it left his foot I tingled with excitement, because it promised danger. Wilf's crossing has improved of late, but he still has some way to go to equal Vince's consistency.

Notwithstanding that, there are two reasons why I would pick Wilf to be on a different and higher level. The first is that Vince had perhaps he weakest shot I've ever seen in a professional footballer. If he was any further than about 10 yards out, he had virtually no chance of scoring, and it would generally dribble towards he keeper. (I've said "virtually" because some people will inevitably come up with the odd occasion to disprove it, but they were very few and far between).

The second reason was that IMHO Vince didn't really ever prove himself in the top division. Except for rare occasions, nearly all his best performances were from before we were promoted. Until this season, to some extent the same criticism could be levelled at Wilf. He had had good games in the Prem, but not on a particularly consistent basis, hence his non-selection for England. But this season he has proven to be one of the most dangerous attackers in the league, and one that no defender feels comfortable marking.

If Wilf had still been available to England, he would certainly have been called up on his performances this season. TBH, Vince never really got close to a call up, as far as I recall
Old 23-12-2017, 10:51 PM

racehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is hereracehorse-80s Sam the man is here
Wilf , Sorry Vince .
Old 24-12-2017, 12:53 PM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRAB came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Both wonderful players and apart from a bit of fun, pointless to compare them. Football has changed so much. Players are fitter. Tactics are far more advanced and the rewards, individual and for clubs have blown the old days away.

All I would say is if comparing 1979 Hillaire with Zaha now, what an amazing team Palace would be if there were players of comparable quality from Palace 1979 in today's team. Two from that team are in my top 5 best ever Palace players. Cannon and Sansom.

The others in my all time best, are Wright and AJ and to complete my set of 5 all thime best ever Palace players, Zaha.
To be a rock and not to roll
Old 26-12-2017, 10:28 PM

salad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hart View Post
I still remember, so vividly, that night in 1979, when Hilaire crossed that ball for Walsh to head in that crucial first goal. Vince was standing absolutely right in line with me when that ball was crossed, and the moment it left his foot I tingled with excitement, because it promised danger. Wilf's crossing has improved of late, but he still has some way to go to equal Vince's consistency.

Notwithstanding that, there are two reasons why I would pick Wilf to be on a different and higher level. The first is that Vince had perhaps he weakest shot I've ever seen in a professional footballer. If he was any further than about 10 yards out, he had virtually no chance of scoring, and it would generally dribble towards he keeper. (I've said "virtually" because some people will inevitably come up with the odd occasion to disprove it, but they were very few and far between).

The second reason was that IMHO Vince didn't really ever prove himself in the top division. Except for rare occasions, nearly all his best performances were from before we were promoted. Until this season, to some extent the same criticism could be levelled at Wilf. He had had good games in the Prem, but not on a particularly consistent basis, hence his non-selection for England. But this season he has proven to be one of the most dangerous attackers in the league, and one that no defender feels comfortable marking.

If Wilf had still been available to England, he would certainly have been called up on his performances this season. TBH, Vince never really got close to a call up, as far as I recall
I agree it is Wilf for me

Not sure if already mentioned but I remember when we beat Middlesboro at home with 9 men. Vince ran most of the pitch beating lots of players as he got to the pen area I remember being relieved that he was brought down for the winning pen. Like lots of people I was expecting a weak shot and miss.

Having said that I loved watching him play as I do Wilf.
Old 26-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Afro
Old 26-12-2017, 11:40 PM

burgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietburgess hill 84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by salad fan club View Post
I agree it is Wilf for me

Not sure if already mentioned but I remember when we beat Middlesboro at home with 9 men. Vince ran most of the pitch beating lots of players as he got to the pen area I remember being relieved that he was brought down for the winning pen. Like lots of people I was expecting a weak shot and miss.

Having said that I loved watching him play as I do Wilf.
Remember that game it was the week after we played west ham in the cup. January 1984.