Alive and well 37 25.34%
Dying a painful death 66 45.21%
It's dead 26 17.81%
It was never really real or trans-generational 19 13.01%
It only works in the lower divisions 13 8.90%
Rivalries must be geographical/regional 6 4.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Is the Brighton rivalry dying?

After the FA Cup game I made the post below in another thread, and it lead me to question it all. I feel lost. Rivalries are hate and banter, but they are also love because you need them, so this is like a partner leaving in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
There they were "Coming for us" but they weren't there when we came to them.

Actually they all were, the true Brighton fans, all 12,000 of them. The rest, as we've said all along, 2 club supporting tourist customer dickheads.

We're too good for them, we have been bigger and better for decades, the rivalry is a short one between 1976 and 1990 something, then we were just miles ahead for years. With their new casual support who aren't real fans it is hard to see how this will change. They said they were coming, we stood firm and poked them, they whimpered and said "nah". It's dead.

Even if there are a few seasons in the top flight together I'm unconvinced that the derby will ignite with their 15,000 day trippers. It would take decades. With CPFC2010 I see us more likely to strengthen and the media will play on when we play Arsenal or Spurs, they will focus on the North London v South London derby, they can't get their heads around Palace v Brighton, they keep calling it "strange". But the media did have an open mind on that and sent the cameras in, they believed it thanks to the Palace fans being particularly boisterous in the league game, but how Brighton have let everyone down by failing to turn up. The media now question if it was ever real, and I'm starting to too.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 AM
UBER mensch vom Suden

Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler
You lost.

https://youtu.be/7ps5t5jYg3s
Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Leave them to Crawley or Dover. Not worthy of a big club rivalry.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Northern Monkey

Palace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace_Akie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It has made me question this.

You look at the Merseyside derby on Friday night in comparison to our game Monday and its clear the level of hatred in the rivalry isn't even close. True rivals should sell out their ground for any competitive match regardless because beating them is so important.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:57 AM

loz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietloz came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I watched the game in the pub it was about 50 / 50 Palace to Brighton ( and yes we took the piss out of the non attending Brighton fans ) but there was no real hate just light piss taking.

I think its been diluted by a lot of newish fans on both sides TBF...Palace have say 14,000 core support and Brighton slightly less meaning that over half the crowds are maybe not as passionate or maybe dont really get the whole BHA v CPFC thing.

It might just be me, but to beat Chelsea, Liverpool Man unt and Dirty Leeds means so much more to me...

Last edited by loz; 10-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
You lost.
Looked like handball to me. Cheats never prosper, as a former DIY Store owner called Mr Archer once told me.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 AM

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
We have to let it go , having them as rivals makes us look tinpot.

Twinned with MK Dons

Last edited by old git; 10-01-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM
We Are The Holmesdale

eagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is here
I think the Police/clubs have done their very best to kill it. Limiting the clubs to 2,000 away fans for the league game and 2,000 for the cup game? There should've been at least 5,000 of us there on Monday. The ******* checks we had to go through, the mess they made at the league game locking 200 of us with tickets outside, being in a Police bubble for 4 hours and not even getting to see the game..

I just struggle to get my head around it, it's literally as if our clubs and the Police see this rivalry as the most dangerous in the country. Even going back to that ridiculous steel wall they erected at our place years ago FFS..

It's just taking the fun out of it from my point of view. ******* ball ache attending these games.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:54 AM
former Palace Guard

viking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is here
It died the season we became the first team to beat them at their place. They've done nothing since. Shite ground in a shite area. I'll not be going back and by the looks of it, neither will they.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Woody McWoodface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
They are an absolute joke. . 2000 of us in a stadium two thirds empty when they have been singing all that shit about 'coming for us', but when it came down to it they didn't want to know.

Seriously I mean it. This isn't just for the sake of banter. Any respect I had for that bunch is right out of the window. The most pathetic fans response ever to what should have been an absolute dream of a cup tie. I will never take them seriously again after that.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:34 PM

ForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is hereForzaPalace Sam the man is here
I did think this after Monday. I know it was the cup but comparing their celebrations in the 3-0 to Monday night they were very half hearted. We still went mental though.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM
XXVII

RUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRUSSELL came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
They are an absolute joke. . 2000 of us in a stadium two thirds empty when they have been singing all that shit about 'coming for us', but when it came down to it they didn't want to know.

Seriously I mean it. This isn't just for the sake of banter. Any respect I had for that bunch is right out of the window. The most pathetic fans response ever to what should have been an absolute dream of a cup tie. I will never take them seriously again after that.
This!

There were weeds dressed up as ******* seagulls ffs! The rivalry's dead!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:41 PM

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Anyone that says no really needs to take another look at this .

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 10-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Why you being like this

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
We have to let it go , having them as rivals makes us look tinpot.
Absolutely
Horrible day. Don't even know why I went, after the home game 'experience.' Will not visit SE25 again. With others as a 'guest' in their antiquated main stand. Constant abuse, intimidating each time we scored. Never been so pleased to lose.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 PM

Kidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is here
a lot of Brighton "fans" are people who moved to Brighton from elsewhere and bought a cheap season ticket since the falmer move, so they simply don't understand the history of the rivalry to really care that much
Old 10-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Bubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is hereBubble Wrap Sam the man is here
Wait until the home league game.
Some of the things i witnessed at the first game proved the the rivalry is a live and kicking. 2nd game was very subdued down to the fact a lot of our fans boycotted it or did not want the hassle off the police.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
For me it's dead, but me and my Brighton supporting mate will carry it on between us.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:58 PM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Not in my eyes.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:56 PM
War Chief

Cleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It's weird. The real losers on Monday night were BHA, shown up to all the world with their 10K fans. If they'd drawn Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or Man Utd then they'd have sold out. Utterly tinpot and Mickey Mouse.

Yet they still irritate the **** out of me, because they refuse to see the truth in front of their own eyes. It's like trying to debate with a bigot, they are beyond reason and common sense. And it winds me up, and it is why I always want to see them fail.

Rival is an odd word for a team that haven't really 'rivalled us' in decades, but I do want them to fail and fail and fail again.

"You're just part of everything that's happened to us tonight... and it's all bad"
Old 10-01-2018, 06:01 PM
THE GAYLATICOS

Richard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRichard Russell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was really disappointed with the home turnout on Monday, I thought it would have meant more but it seems that it was too much hassle for half of our fans to bother. Yes it was on telly, yes it’s just after Christmas and a massive 25 to buy a ticket (!), yes it’s a work night, yes the trains are shit but even so....I understand that ticket sales were slow at your end too.

Perhaps it is dying. Seems a shame.