Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 15-01-2018, 01:21 PM

baughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses growbaughurst eagle knows where the wild roses grow
saw him in cup final with my dad though I was born in cov and now support the palace I have very fond memories RIP Cyril xx
Old 15-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Yeah - didn't Cyrille get his caps when he was quite young? I don't remember him being much talked about after he left West Brom (for Coventry, I think).
Old 15-01-2018, 01:34 PM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
RIP Mr Regis.

Always loved watching that WBA side.
Old 15-01-2018, 01:44 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
The only non-Palace player I venerated as a kid. Scored some astounding goals, filled with energy and enthusiasm and was one of the first to win respect for black footballers. So sad to hear of his passing.

R.I.P. Mr Regis
Old 15-01-2018, 01:45 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumie Allan View Post
RIP

Took so much shit in his day to pave the way for all the black players we have today.
well said BA.
Remember watching Coventry play Palace at Selhurst 90/91 ish and he must have been 33 ish and he scored a last minute consolation and my dad raved about the player. Saw him play against us for Villa a few years later and he still looked physically fit and a handful.
R.I.P to the King of the Midlands
Old 15-01-2018, 01:49 PM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
The first time many of us saw him ...

(his archetypal finish is at 1:45)
Was at that match. Never seen those highlights, if you can call them that, before.

I read his autobiography a couple of years ago - a very good read.

To view the link you have to Register or Login.

Was a fantastic footballer and, by all accounts, a top bloke. RIP
Old 15-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Really, really sad news.

Was a top player and came across as a top bloke, as well.

Only 59, as well
Old 15-01-2018, 01:55 PM
People are People

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Sad news. RIP
Old 15-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Glazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Top player and top bloke. Always impressed against us. ITV news just showed his goal for WBA at SP. Was it Boxing Day early 80s? I was there with my Baggies supporting now ex- brother in law. RIP big fella.
Old 15-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Shows how you forgets things - I thought he was pretty much a one club man - WBA. He actually played nearly as many games for Coventry and also was at Villa and Wolves.
A real West Midlands icon.

RIP
Old 15-01-2018, 02:09 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Sad news. RIP Cyrille.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:11 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
I used to love that green and yellow kit when I was a kid.
I bloody had it only the Sash tops it imo. Just woke up after long shift last night and still completely gutted. Woken tolots of texts from family back home who are devastated naturally. Slight aside my cousin said his sis inlaw saw him Cyril at Walsall golf club not that long ago and although she didn’t know him personally she remembered him asking her out in the 80’s haha. What a player so skilful and what a huge huge loss to the Midlands. He was of course a Londoner.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:14 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Lovely tribute from the BBC’s Pat Murphy

In all my decades of covering Midlands football,there has been no figure more admired or loved among we reporters than Cyrille Regis. He scored goals we dreamed of while lying in the bath,routed the racists,respected the fans - and smiled. Always. RIP
Very nice tribute that thanks for sharing.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
At least Cyrille won the FA Cup with Coventry. Was a classic.
But he should’ve won something with the baggies, sensational side.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
I doubt very much it was his talent keeping him out of the side
Sadly very true.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
Interesting that there is a Palace connection.

Ronnie Allen who captained the Palace team that originally won promotion to the Second Division in '63/64 recommended Cyrille who was then playing for our local non-league club Hayes when he was Chief Scout for WBA.
Was my baggy supporting mum’s hero Ronnie Allen.
Old 15-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Sadly very true.
I don't really think this is fair.
England were managed by Ron Greenwood at that time. Ron was one of the first English club managers to give black players a chance - most of us who are old enough will remember Clyde Best and Ade Coker, but there were others.

Here's Clyde on Ron: “When I played it was tough but I was at the right place and the manager, Ron Greenwood, has to take a lot of credit because West Ham were probably the first club to establish black players like John Charles, his brother Clive and Ade Coker,” he said.

“I think he put British football in a different light by giving us black guys a chance.
Old 15-01-2018, 05:02 PM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
So sad . That West Brom side we’re special and the 3 degrees ( sorry ) we’re the icing on the top . He was a great striker and it’s a terrible shame he’s gone at 59 which is tragic RIP cyrille.
Old 15-01-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
There would be an uproar if three black players were called the three degrees today.
Old 15-01-2018, 05:07 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Gutted. He was a wonderful player and gone long before his time. Just the mention of his name would bring a smile to my face thinking of good times as a kid and all the players of that era.