Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 21-01-2018, 07:24 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
John Hughes and Willie Wallace

I started following Palace when both these were transferred from Celtic . Any goals on video ? - especially Wallace .
Old 21-01-2018, 08:27 PM

Lee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLee sinnots ear came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One of the best goals of my 50 years was Yogi ( Hughes) against Sheffield United in 1971
Old 21-01-2018, 08:37 PM

Sleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSleeping Giant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
At about 10:44

Old 21-01-2018, 08:48 PM

Nigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
"John "Yogi" Hughes for Palace was a wonderful sight going down the wing at pace and with brute force and skill, simply brushing aside defenders and smashing the ball goalwards was a sight to behold.
Old 21-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Laths

laths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelaths : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee sinnots ear View Post
One of the best goals of my 50 years was Yogi ( Hughes) against Sheffield United in 1971
I was there, about one of the goals I remember, run virtually length of pitch and unleashed a thunderbolt into the roof of the net, Holmesdale end. ( half the length , getting fuzzy in me dotage )

Last edited by laths; 21-01-2018 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 21-01-2018, 09:04 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
I met a guy called George Connelly a few years back, who played for Celtic with both of them. He told me that on his day Yogi ws the best player he had ever played with (the key words obviously are 'on his day' but still a massive compliment considering the talent he would have played with around that time)
Old 21-01-2018, 09:04 PM

Hal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Not sure how many games Yogi played for Palace. Perhaps 20 ? Probably scored no more than 5 goals. And yet for the generation lucky enough to see him he was a legend.

Willie Walace always looked useless to me. But he was undoubtedly a vert good player. Perhaps it's just the case that Palace was not the best team for him
Old 21-01-2018, 09:16 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
That Sheff Utd game is always a fond memory for me, although many, many years ago !
Obviously John's 2nd goal of the game was one of the goals of the season but I almost preferred his first effort, when he just kept running with the ball and just when we were expecting a cross, he hammered the ball into the net !
Willie Wallace was a disappointment for us, but I do remember him scoring both our goals in a blood and thunder FA Cup tie Vs Everton, that ended 2-2, when ironically Yogi was sent off for a pretty terrible tackle !!
Old 21-01-2018, 10:29 PM

exiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietexiledeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
I met a guy called George Connelly a few years back, who played for Celtic with both of them. He told me that on his day Yogi ws the best player he had ever played with (the key words obviously are 'on his day' but still a massive compliment considering the talent he would have played with around that time)
I use to follow Celtic when younger I remember the name George Connelly . Funny how you remember things I still can name the 1967 team which beat Inter Milan

Simpson Craig Gemmell Murdoch McNeill Clark Johnstone Wallace Chalmers Auld Lennox

Sadly a lot have passed away and McNeill has dementia now
Old 22-01-2018, 04:31 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Low View Post
Not sure how many games Yogi played for Palace. Perhaps 20 ? Probably scored no more than 5 goals. And yet for the generation lucky enough to see him he was a legend.

Willie Walace always looked useless to me. But he was undoubtedly a vert good player. Perhaps it's just the case that Palace was not the best team for him
Seemed to remember Wallace scored in a 1 -0 win at Forest that year.
Old 22-01-2018, 07:15 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
I use to follow Celtic when younger I remember the name George Connelly . Funny how you remember things I still can name the 1967 team which beat Inter Milan

Simpson Craig Gemmell Murdoch McNeill Clark Johnstone Wallace Chalmers Auld Lennox

George Connelly is a sad tale. He joined Celtic the season after Celtic won the European cup in '67 so was not a Lisbon Lion, but played with those stars (Yogi though he did play in the final due to injury, still is considered a Lisbon Lion as he got a winners medal because of the number of appearances he made in previous rounds).

Connelly was considered a guy from the sticks (he was from Fife) and not street wise like his Glaswegian team mates. He apparently was a massive talent, that many thought was going to be world class, and I have heard from some who wax lyrical about his talents. He had mental demons, some attributed to the fact rumours spread that his wife had slept with many of his team mates. He notoriously walked out on Scotland when boarding a plane, I have also heard that Jock Stein gave him a lot of rope and would go looking fpr him to persaude him to come and train. He became an alcoholic and his career ended up taking a nose dive. He came across as a lovely and humble bloke when I met him at a friends house, and apparently now is a taxi driver in my area.
Old 22-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Certified Grumpy

T.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee sinnots ear View Post
Was runner-up for goal of the season but, imho, should have won and would have if it wasn't for Ronnie Radford - he got the 'romantic' vote for his lash.
Old 22-01-2018, 08:18 AM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
John McCormick also scored a belter in the Sheff Utd match.
Old 22-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Hal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHal Low : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
John McCormick also scored a belter in the Sheff Utd match.
And the look of amazement on his face afterwards !
Old 22-01-2018, 11:16 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Great team then and a lovely team strip too. Yogi Hughes was like a tank on the ball.
Old 23-01-2018, 05:01 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post

That team all came from within a 10 mile radius of Parkhead. Imagine any team have that happening now.
Old 23-01-2018, 09:49 AM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Recently read Yogi's autobiography. Sadly he looks back on his time at Palace with no great fondness, but was complimentary about Bobby Kellard.

Two clips worth a watch. The first, Celtic v Third Lanark in 1964 and a head-to-head with a certain John McCormick:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Second, Celtic v Morton 1967, and a torrid evening for Morton full-back John Loughlan:
Old 23-01-2018, 10:02 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabas View Post
Recently read Yogi's autobiography. Sadly he looks back on his time at Palace with no great fondness, but was complimentary about Bobby Kellard.

Two clips worth a watch. The first, Celtic v Third Lanark in 1964 and a head-to-head with a certain John McCormick:

Second, Celtic v Morton 1967, and a torrid evening for Morton full-back John Loughlan:
I dont think he ever really wanted to leave Celtic but he and Jock Stein never saw eye to eye. His time here was injury ridden and ended his career whilst at the age of what 29.
Bobby Kellard the story of that season Hughes signed for us is interesting Bert Head virtually let Kellard run training and the team towards the end of that season the other player who helped was Jacko. It was to the extent that Kellard expected to take over from Bert. It changed obviously with the departure of A Wait the Bloye takeover and Big Mal.
Old 23-01-2018, 11:59 AM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
I dont think he ever really wanted to leave Celtic but he and Jock Stein never saw eye to eye. His time here was injury ridden and ended his career whilst at the age of what 29.
Bobby Kellard the story of that season Hughes signed for us is interesting Bert Head virtually let Kellard run training and the team towards the end of that season the other player who helped was Jacko. It was to the extent that Kellard expected to take over from Bert. It changed obviously with the departure of A Wait the Bloye takeover and Big Mal.
Now living in Spain I believe.
Old 23-01-2018, 04:55 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
If I remember correctly the signing of John Hughes and Willie Wallace went 'under the radar' due to strike action in the newspaper industry so Bert Head was able to get up to Scotland for the transfer without being noticed.

Both made the debuts in an away game at Coventry on a Friday evening 22nd October 1971. Hughes started and Wallace came on as substitute for him.

Regarding the Sheffield game they were riding high in Division One and had put seven past Ipswich the previous Saturday. Mac's goal sometimes gets forgotten after Hughes' effort while United's goalkeeper was John Hope so you can imagine the match reports after the game.