Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 31-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
The 'London' Stadium

In the spirit of not bumping old threads...

Felt obliged to post this after probably the worst match experience I can recall. I just felt so detached... 50 thousand people in near proximity and they looked and felt like it was like it was empty. Never had such a soulless vibe at a football match.

It was so bad I almost feel sorry for the Hammers/Irons (whatever they call themselves) I honestly don't think I could watch Palace there week I week out.
Made me appreciate how special our stadium is.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Went there last season and it was pretty much the same experience. Felt the need to watch the highlights this morning to catch all the finer points I couldn't see due to the sheer distance from the pitch!

When they got the atmosphere going it sounded quite loud, but it was about twice in the whole game for about a minute each time.

Makes you appreciate being in a proper football ground that's for sure.

Dead easy walking back to where I had parked in Bow - to be honest once we had gone past Pudding Mill Lane DLR station, there were so few people walking any further as we were, you wouldn't have known there had been a game on - it is almost eerie how the crowd disappeared so quickly - I guess 99% of the crowd all go the same one or two ways away from the place?
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 31-01-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
In the spirit of not bumping old threads...

Felt obliged to post this after probably the worst match experience I can recall. I just felt so detached... 50 thousand people in near proximity and they looked and felt like it was like it was empty. Never had such a soulless vibe at a football match.

It was so bad I almost feel sorry for the Hammers/Irons (whatever they call themselves) I honestly don't think I could watch Palace there week I week out.
Made me appreciate how special our stadium is.
Its a dreadful experience. Been in the top tier only and I would rather watch it on a stream. Almost.

I know we are supposed to welcome this grand new stand of ours ( I have my doubts), but I really do hope we don't lose something. It's not like Selhurst rocks all the time, in every area, but it is a damn sight better than most.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:32 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Truly terrible.
Only serving bottled beer.
Atmosphere poor throughout.
Huge space in between the pitch and crowd meaning it took ages to take throw ins.
Won't go back there for football.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Payney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was in the second row of the upper tier this season. Miles from the pitch, must be really shit towards the back of the upper. Lower tier is much better.

Walked to hackney wick after the game for a few beers as I was staying up in London. Another strange place.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:37 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
It's just so shit for any sort of atmosphere. To give WH their due, when they manage to get the two blocks either side of the away end both singing the same thing at the same time, it does sound quite loud from the away end, but the atmosphere dissipates as quickly as it starts and doesn't permeate to the rest of the ground. As for the away end, it's truly dreadful with two tiers miles from each other.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:41 AM

Johnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is here
On top of everything mentioned above, woefully inadequate toilet provision
Old 31-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy View Post
On top of everything mentioned above, woefully inadequate toilet provision
Yep - No excuses for that
Old 31-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Die adler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payney View Post
I was in the second row of the upper tier this season. Miles from the pitch, must be really shit towards the back of the upper. Lower tier is much better.

Walked to hackney wick after the game for a few beers as I was staying up in London. Another strange place.
I was in the lower How bad must it be up the back
Old 31-01-2018, 11:54 AM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I like the stadium itself but it's the track what has done for the football side. Athletics is fine. They had wanted to put retractable seats i think originally to have fans close up to the touchline. Fail.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:00 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is here
It was horrible. Stadium looks absolutely great, but I understand what's been said about it not being a "football stadium". Pathetic atmosphere. I'd genuinely hate that being our stadium
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Born in South London

Pinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is herePinkie Brown Sam the man is here
I went last season, never ever again for football.
Been a few times for the Athletics including this summer just gone and it's good.
Never ever a football stadium even with all our money wasted/thrown at it.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Had a closer look at the 'state of the art' (their words) retractable seating, and it is literally just loads and loads of scaff.

Oh well, Gillingham must be pleased that their away end is therefore also now 'state of the art'.

You can see why it takes a month to put it all back together again after the stadium has been configured in 'athletics mode'.

The Directors Box is an incredible distance from the touchline, even David Gold must have been embarrassed when he first hosted visiting directors there.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 31-01-2018, 12:04 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Should be re-named The Worst London Stadium.

Been there twice for Athletics - a good experience, but having been to many meetings at Crystal Palace, it lacks the intimacy even for the sports it was actually built for as it is so vast, so if there are events near you, you feel involved, but anything on the other side of the stadium is so distant you may as well watch on the screen, which defeats the object of being there in the first place.

As far as going for a match is concerned, it’s utterly hopeless, I’ve managed to get a place in the first few rows of the lower tier on each of Palace’s three visits.

We have decent away support and one of our usual strengths, when the game just drags like last night, is getting a bit of noise going - but because of the back tier being so detached from the temporary seating in the lower tier, it basically feels like two different groups of fans - there is no continuity and any singing just fades.

I noticed on the way out, they already have maintenance issues with water leaking from gaps in the structure, if it’s like that after two and half years of being a football venue, it should be in ruins in 25 - by which time it should either have been demolished and rebuilt into a properly configured ground or condemned.

It’s a great lesson in how trying to be competitive as a Premier League ‘brand’ means you lose your soul as a club, as we have seen at Arsenal, Liverpool, both Manc clubs, Chelsea etc.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:10 PM
playing 4-4-2

gadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgadford4th came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Everything about it did my head in last season and vowed I wouldn't go again. It's the queues ACROSS the outdoor concourse to get into the ground that is the worst thing. Just make snaked aisles so that you're not blocking thousands of people who are trying to get to their gate.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:16 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadford4th View Post
Everything about it did my head in last season and vowed I wouldn't go again.
Me too. I honestly feel sorry for West Ham fans.

It is not and never will be a football ground.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:17 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Sounds awful.

I’ve been there for v enjoyable athletics nights, which had a great atmos. It’s extraordinary how the same stadium can be so good for one sport and so bad for another.

I’m also surprised to read above that there weren’t enough toilets. There have been plenty when I’ve been there for sellout athletics events, so do they not open all the facilities for the football matches?
Old 31-01-2018, 12:24 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If i was a West Ham fan i would be gutted with what has happened to their club with the move away from Upton Park to the London Stadium.

Just like the soul has been ripped out with their club with their support dotted around a sprawling athletics stadium.

It is just not really a football ground very disjointed and soulless.

Only on a few occasions did they all really get behind their team and it was quite loud. I was in the first few rows of the Upper Tier and was expecting a worse view but wasn't that bad.

Even our support was very subdued due to the split between the lower and upper tiers.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gold & Sullivan decided to sell up quite soon and cash in their chips.

The only positives were the access to/from the Stadium and the security checks were well organised.

1st time i have used Pudding Mill Lane DLR much better and closer than Stratford and good access to/from to the Away Turnstiles.

Compared to Brighton away a walk in the park!
Old 31-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I reckon it would be ok if say West ham were playing Tottenham in an FACup q/final or a massive game for a World Cup/EuroChamps but we are talking once in a blue moon. Have no issues with sight lines, distance not great but then again i've been in the Nou Camp on the top tier and binoculars are a must there.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:34 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
The 'London' Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
I like the stadium itself but it's the track what has done for the football side. Athletics is fine. They had wanted to put retractable seats i think originally to have fans close up to the touchline. Fail.

Deliberately using this quote as I would never have become a football fan if that had been one of my first experiences of watching football.

It is an athletics stadium and not designed for football fans - it’d for baseball American football athletics etc as spectators can nip out for food drinks toilets etc without causing huge queues .

Pudding lane dlrwas a great choice pity they had to shut the entrance gates for a while