Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 AM

DE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Injuries over the decades

I been watching Palace for just over 40 years, now I’m sure there must have been worse injuries (numbers of players) in a
Season but I’m struggling to think of the season ?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 AM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
60 odd years for me, and I don't think we've witnessed a season with so many injuries. With those old leather boots an long studs, plus plenty of cloggers around it may sound surprising. I put it down to the modern game and its physicality and pace. Many of the injuries are ligament injuries caused by studs sticking in the lush turf that most clubs have. Mud heaps were the norm, particulary in winter, which were more forgiving but particularly fun for Jack Edwards and his sliding tackle.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:01 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Our Cup Final season in 2016 after New Year was pretty horrendous. Think every player in midfield and up front were out injured at one point or another. Quite a few long term. Think this season beats it though.

The worst I remember was back in 82/83 season with Mullery at the helm. We were so depleted that before one game at home to Carlisle I think, there was talk of our keeper George Wood playing up front. We ended up bringing in two youth players to make their debuts instead.

As it was, Mullery and coach Harry Cripps, both in their 40’s, made themselves available for the reserves as their numbers were down as most of the players were drafted into the first team. Think Cripps actually played.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 05-02-2018, 01:35 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
60 odd years for me, and I don't think we've witnessed a season with so many injuries. With those old leather boots an long studs, plus plenty of cloggers around it may sound surprising. I put it down to the modern game and its physicality and pace. Many of the injuries are ligament injuries caused by studs sticking in the lush turf that most clubs have. Mud heaps were the norm, particulary in winter, which were more forgiving but particularly fun for Jack Edwards and his sliding tackle.
Players are bigger fitter and more finely honed than in the old days. This applies to all sport. Look how many cricketers break down with injury,this hardly happened in the past.
Mind you medical treatment is better . A torn cartliege was a season if not career ending injury. Now they seem to be back in 6 weeks or less.

Question I always wonder about is what would players like Don Rogers be like if they had to days fitness?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:03 AM

Newozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post

Question I always wonder about is what would players like Don Rogers be like if they had to days fitness?
The answer is Injured given the tackles at higher speed lol
Old 05-02-2018, 02:15 AM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
I was wondering last night why the sport now seems to have so many injuries. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but my recollection from the seventies to the nineties is that there was a definitive first eleven and barely two or three other players you really got to know in the entire squad. If a single player was injured in the first team it was considered a bit unlucky and a fully fit first eleven was considered a distinctly normal thing.

I do seem to remember our 97-98 season relegation team seemed to have its midfield ravaged by injuries. We had Edworthy playing there for some games.

But this is a season where injuries seem worse than I can ever remember.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:15 PM

grays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seengrays_eagle dances on the sands, and yet no footing seen
The 1989-90 season was particularly affected by injuries as well. Whilst the squad was not as large as this season's squad, I think that we were down to about 14-15 fit players by the Liverpool semi-final, with Rudi Hedman being on the bench - only 2 subs named and could be used in those days - and Garry Thompson being cup-tied.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Best Palace Severe Crocks XI

Matt Clarke

Ian Evans Gonzolo Sorondo
? ?

Maroune Chamakh Dave Madden Martin Hinshelwood

John Salako Mike Elwiss Kevin Mabbutt

Manager: Steve Coppell
Old 05-02-2018, 01:52 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
I was wondering last night why the sport now seems to have so many injuries. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but my recollection from the seventies to the nineties is that there was a definitive first eleven and barely two or three other players you really got to know in the entire squad. If a single player was injured in the first team it was considered a bit unlucky and a fully fit first eleven was considered a distinctly normal thing.

I do seem to remember our 97-98 season relegation team seemed to have its midfield ravaged by injuries. We had Edworthy playing there for some games.

But this is a season where injuries seem worse than I can ever remember.
97-98 was very bad and we lost Lewington as well which affected the day to day coaching significantly too. Not easy to compare because the squad is much deeper this year.