Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 PM

nomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minenomad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Defending set pieces

Why cannot we defend set pieces, particularly corners? We conceded two against Arsenal and then another today. It would be interesting to see how many we have conceded this season. It cannot be co-incidence that we rarely have a player on the line. Lethargic first half where we made Newcastle look a good side but much much better in the second although we wasted a number of chances. On the plus side Gayle looked the Championship player that he is so good move to offload him.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Kelly for his size isn’t very good in the air it marking. TFM isn’t great at marking at set pieces..
Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Under Fascist Rule

pauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is herepauldrulez Sam the man is here
Whenever we had Murray playing, he seemed to clear half of the corners from the area. We need someone patrolling the 6 yard box just to attack the ball to get it away.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:32 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Today’s goal and two Arsenal goals were all scored at the right hand post. Any connection?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Today’s goal and two Arsenal goals were all scored at the right hand post. Any connection?

Spot on. TFM gets drawn out of position countless times. He's got pace, and can sometimes catch up, but he's nowhere on set pieces.

I hope Steven Reid spots this and works on that part of his game.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
We don’t have people on the post. Very odd
Old 04-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
We normally concede from the opposition's first real shot/breakaway or corner.

Well, it feels like we do.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 AM

PhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhuketEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Should always have someone on the far post from a corner IMHO, even if that means its an attacker tracking back. Cuts down the options/chance of scoring for the oppo.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArdent Eagle Forever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Why do we never have anyone on the front or back post? Someone on the back post would have blocked that yesterday.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:09 AM
SeŮor Coconut

Neil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNeil 154 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Why do we never have anyone on the front or back post? Someone on the back post would have blocked that yesterday.
McArthur always used to clear them off the line, but now he's trying to mark players that are two foot taller than him. Stick him on the back post Roy.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:11 AM

ianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineianace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
How we can let corners bounce in our box & reach the back post is beyond me!
We look like we are going to concede every corner.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
I know this is the type of analysis that Roy hates but it is interesting nevertheless. I must be slow but I hadn't really noticed that we had stopped putting a player on one of the posts until the Arsenal game where it was glaringly obvious because a player on the far post would have had chances to step into the gaping void or at least some chance of blocking any shot. What was also obvious was how easily every player had been sucked to the near post leaving several Arsenal players free. Nothing has changed.

So bear in mind that the following shots take place over a second or two but nevertheless interesting because of the problems they have to solve.

The first thing to say that is it was poor kick from Yedlin but fouls and mistakes made it count.

The first frame looks OK to me although its not obvious what Andros' role is, to me or him by the looks of it as he meanders back towards Benteke by the second frame. He was often the man on the far post and it poses the first question why move him? I assume that if he stays out there it forces a higher trajectory but walking backwards made it all a little pointless and he was completely ineffective there? Benteke's role should be to attack and cut out anything into the 6 yard box low or high. His starting position seems odd for that and he seems too close to the goal. Whether this is to protect the near post for the keeper I don't know (new GK coach?). The cross came just outside the box and due to his starting position and a general lack of movement he had not chance of getting to it. I assume this is where he has been told to stand. Diame is feinting right and Clark left. TFM and Kelly marking them respectively.

By frame 3 Tomkins has lost Lascelles, completely, who is now heading for the gap at the far post. Perez is pulling back Luka and Gayle/Macca are both holding each other in a warm embrace. Diame has now pulled left and Clark right. TFM naturally follows Clark which makes sense because they have to swap now because they can't run through each other but no effective communication between them because Kelly instead sticks to his task and follows Clark but leaving Diame free by frame 4 with Lascelles embarrassingly queuing up behind him. If the corner had been good and to the far post either could have scored.

By frame 6 Benteke is scared by a bug? (No relevance but odd reaction ) Luka has been pulled and notice the linesman's position which seems perfect to spot it (relevant to later) because he has to be watching the ball at this point surely? Can only assume Luka blocked his view but for all the time?
Tomkins has realised and has partially recovered but still can't cut out either a header or low ball and is dead in the water.

Frame 7 Gayle is stopping Macca trying to react albeit hopeless and 8 it's a tap in.

The following pic shows Luka being ridiculously pulled back and the linesman doesn't see this. The ref can't see it through the crowd of players. The final one shows Luka missing it with his left foot as Perez pulls him off balance and then falls to the ground like the injured party.

When you watch this you kind of realise why some Managers favour zonal or at least a mix of both because at least that way defenders should all be watching and attacking the ball.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

My best assessment would be that they need to sort it out.

It's got pluses and minuses but I would have Benteke start further towards the edge of the box with clear instruction that nothing should pass him - attack everything. I would have Townsend on the far post. TFM/Kelly comms needs sorting because that's basic hadnover stuff. I am a bit disappointed in Luka not being strong enough to shake off Perez but it was a blatant pull and extreme I guess. I would sort out the linesmen and ref too because they can't miss such a blatant foul in the box. VAR would have sorted this although I am not a fan of it at all.

I also listened to Shearer call for post match banning for blatant dives even if they have already been booked because it's cheating - ridiculous TBH - and unreal coming from him. Perhaps he would be happy with Perez being banned for cheating - he didn't get booked? I don't see the difference at all. I think pundits are as guilty as anyone over the years for applauding professional fouls and cheating and it is farcical that someone like Shearer is now taking a stand.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:38 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
We man mark defending set pieces

Kelly abandons this in half the goals weíve conceded recently and seems to play a zonal game. Often runs after the ball or another man and several times his man scores unopposed

TFM compounds that as heís late to react to the danger when compared to ward

If you are man marking then 90% of the time you stick to your man and if you move for the ball... you ******* get it!!! Leave your man and fail to get the ball... someone is unmarked and Kelly does that on half of our corners
Old 05-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
We man mark defending set pieces

Kelly abandons this in half the goals weíve conceded recently and seems to play a zonal game. Often runs after the ball or another man and several times his man scores unopposed

TFM compounds that as heís late to react to the danger when compared to ward

If you are man marking then 90% of the time you stick to your man and if you move for the ball... you ******* get it!!! Leave your man and fail to get the ball... someone is unmarked and Kelly does that on half of our corners
Could be true, but on two of the goals v Arsenal its McArthur who loses his man and Luka isn't particularly good at it either.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:50 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Could be true, but on two of the goals v Arsenal its McArthur who loses his man and Luka isn't particularly good at it either.
Yeah Jimmy was horrible in that game but Kelly is consistent at it. If you can see highlights of saving tackles and saves that havenít resulted in goals but good chances kelly does it a lot. Heís been bailed out but Tomkins loads recently too.

I donít get it. In open play heís ok. Heís not great but Iím glad heís here as back up but terrorfied for any sustained run of games mainly due to set pieces. He just doesnít stick to his man when he must almost all of the time
Old 05-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Yeah Jimmy was horrible in that game but Kelly is consistent at it. If you can see highlights of saving tackles and saves that havenít resulted in goals but good chances kelly does it a lot. Heís been bailed out but Tomkins loads recently too.

I donít get it. In open play heís ok. Heís not great but Iím glad heís here as back up but terrorfied for any sustained run of games mainly due to set pieces. He just doesnít stick to his man when he must almost all of the time
The goal conceded yesterday was probably just as due to Benteke missing his clearance first to allow the ball to travel through the crowd of players.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Between matches

MasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMasterYoda came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
The following pic shows Luka being ridiculously pulled back and the linesman doesn't see this. The ref can't see it through the crowd of players. The final one shows Luka missing it with his left foot as Perez pulls him off balance and then falls to the ground like the injured party.
I'll be honest watching it it real time it looks more like Luka grabs Perez and has a handful of his shirt while trying to swing at the ball.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYoda View Post
I'll be honest watching it it real time it looks more like Luka grabs Perez and has a handful of his shirt while trying to swing at the ball.
Pretty sure they are all doing it to some extent but there isn't much doubt he pulls Luka back by his arm in a way that has to be a foul in any book. But that doesn't excuse no one getting that ball away and I am still surprised Luka didn't get something on it.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
The goal conceded yesterday was probably just as due to Benteke missing his clearance first to allow the ball to travel through the crowd of players.
TBH he never got there and I don't think he could due to his starting position. But have to assume that is where he is instructed to be.