Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: MOM
Hennessey 72 16.98%
PVA 24 5.66%
Tomkins 97 22.88%
TFM 15 3.54%
Wan-Bissaka 93 21.93%
Sorloth 28 6.60%
Riedewald 8 1.89%
Milivojevic 15 3.54%
McArthur 62 14.62%
Townsend 5 1.18%
Benteke 2 0.47%
Delaney 1 0.24%
CYL 2 0.47%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Kentish Eagle

winners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewinners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post
Benteke 6.5 - how on earth can anyone rate him as our worst player today. Yes he’s been poor lots of this season but today he defended about half of our corners as he has loads in recent weeks. He created our only chances second half with a nice chipped ball and cross for sorloth. We had about 20% posession and about 5% in spurs third. When we hoofed it clear it was usually benteke vs 3+ spurs players 50 yards from goal. He wasn’t great but he didn’t do much wrong and no real chance to do more. Some of his ratings on the bbs were written before kick off
This.....I saw someone earlier gave Lee more marks the Benteke, He seems to be the target of choice at the moment for those who need a scapegoat. He was a 5 OUT OF 10 for me, mind you, not sure anyone deserves more the 6. I expect more for the money we paid, and his pedigree, but I think he earnt his reputation as a finisher, whereas, he has to do a lot more than that for us, as no one is creating the chances for him to finish, especially yesterday.
Old 26-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Ridewald - ....... I think he gave the ball away in that second half all but one time he got it.
I may even brave the match again later but this comment made me think about it and I thought I would check back to the stats. What this brings into sharp focus was how rarely we were able to exercise any control.

Our midfielders only attempted these number of passes and the second figure was for how many were successful:

Luka - 32 - 24
Macca - 11 - 10
Riedewald - 12 - 8

Totalled up gives 55 - 42

Just as an example - in the Everton 3-1 loss those figures were 128 - 102. Its not that it wasn't obvious that we were overwhelmed its more the stark nature of that and our inability to retain the ball. Cabaye always makes a difference in terms of composure and accuracy but with Luka and Macca having such low totals (Luka under half of his typical tally and Macca is likely a career low I suspect at 11 attempts).

So back to your point Jairo did misplace 4 passes in the match.

No point to make, just found it interesting. As an aside, what I also noticed which I didn't particularly expect was that Wilf on average makes the lowest number of passes of any player (per 90 mins) that has made 10 appearances or more. Just 19.5 per 90 mins. Again no particular point but I hadn't expected that to be quite so low.
Old 26-02-2018, 12:02 PM

davo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minedavo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Hennessey - 7 - I thought shaky in the first half, some great stuff in the second half. Shame about the goal but Kane should not have been able to get to that corner.

Bissaka - 6 - worked his socks off, OK debut
Tomkins - 8 MOM - held the team together
TFM - 6 - struggles as CB but better than last week.
PvA - 5 - good going forward but many mistakes defensively.

Luka - 6 - OK
Riedewald - 5 - a bit naive but potential is there
McArthur - 7 - most classy player and works all match long

Townsend - 6 - OK game maybe not quite match fit
Sorloth - 6 - a bit isolated but worked hard
Benteke - 5 - not really involved other than a few headers.

Subs
Delaney - 2 - would prefer our new polish defender than Delaney now.. he is just too slow for the prem.
Lee only on for a moment but I can see why Hodgson is not making substitutions if this is what he can look forward to..

Hopefully by the end of March we will have most of our squad back. We are going to need it if we are going to have a chance of staying up.
Old 26-02-2018, 12:06 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I may even brave the match again later but this comment made me think about it and I thought I would check back to the stats. What this brings into sharp focus was how rarely we were able to exercise any control.

Our midfielders only attempted these number of passes and the second figure was for how many were successful:

Luka - 32 - 24
Macca - 11 - 10
Riedewald - 12 - 8

Totalled up gives 55 - 42

Just as an example - in the Everton 3-1 loss those figures were 128 - 102. Its not that it wasn't obvious that we were overwhelmed its more the stark nature of that and our inability to retain the ball. Cabaye always makes a difference in terms of composure and accuracy but with Luka and Macca having such low totals (Luka under half of his typical tally and Macca is likely a career low I suspect at 11 attempts).

So back to your point Jairo did misplace 4 passes in the match.

No point to make, just found it interesting. As an aside, what I also noticed which I didn't particularly expect was that Wilf on average makes the lowest number of passes of any player (per 90 mins) that has made 10 appearances or more. Just 19.5 per 90 mins. Again no particular point but I hadn't expected that to be quite so low.
He made most of those in our half. Perhaps I was ott but in spurs half to clarify I think he lost it almost every time. What might not be in stats was how many times the ball went to him and his control was so bad spurs got the ball back. Doubt that counts as a pass he just couldn't get be ball under control and lost it. One, tbf was a stinging pass but he should have done better with all of them.

He's only young and is ok at times but isn't great at anything. A back up holding midfielder is about as good as he can be considered I think and we really really need cabaye back soon
Old 26-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
He made most of those in our half. Perhaps I was ott but in spurs half to clarify I think he lost it almost every time. What might not be in stats was how many times the ball went to him and his control was so bad spurs got the ball back. Doubt that counts as a pass he just couldn't get be ball under control and lost it. One, tbf was a stinging pass but he should have done better with all of them.

He's only young and is ok at times but isn't great at anything. A back up holding midfielder is about as good as he can be considered I think and we really really need cabaye back soon
I am quite a bit more optimistic about his potential but agree that is what happened. The only thing I would say is that which player didn't struggle on Sunday at some point and I was impressed that he was actually getting box to box in such a difficult game. But obviously needs to improve. There was also one very nice touch on the edge of the box I remember but nothing to change the opinion.

The dispossessed stats were
3 - Jairo, Benteke 3
2 - Sorloth, Wan Bissaka
1 - Townsend, Macca

Two at least of the 3 were when he was up front and one of them will have been that stinger that even the commentator/pundit pointed out.
Old 26-02-2018, 12:33 PM

woldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewoldinghameagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braders View Post
Must have been watching a different game, I thought Jairo was dreadful. Weak, poor in possession and slow. Worrying.

Wan-Bissaka performed well in a tough game. Good luck to him, just needs confidence and that will come. I thought Sorlorth looked good again, a centre forward that puts in a shift and looks dangerous. Thought his touch, strength and turn of pace was encouraging. Staggered some think he wasnt any good, literally our only threat. Benteke was hard to watch again, he really has been poor. Does win headers though.

Jimmy Mac my MotM.

Men against boys.
This was my assessment of the game too.
Old 26-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Danny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is here
I thought Riedewald played ok. I hope he gets a decent run in the side as we looked much more solid with Luka and Riedewald as the two defensive midfielders.

The problem was we had no pace on the counter and Sorloth would have been much more effective through the middle.

Last edited by Danny boy; 26-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 26-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Stroud1

minch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietminch1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
All players have off days and difficult games depending on who they are up against. But provided they look like they are giving their all and look determined and up for the fight I don't mind. I would say that yesterday most of the players tried their best. The only one who always looks too casual is Benteke. Really cannot understand it.
Old 26-02-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
I thought Riedewald played ok. I hope he gets a decent run in the side as I think we will look much more solid with Luka and Riedewald as the two defensive midfielders.
Me too. In other games he has always kept the ball moving and can pick a pass but it is all early days. He is only 21 I think and the next few years should see him blossom from what is a pretty solid base at this age. He is quite young for a DM. Be interesting to see him as he starts to feel like he is part of the team instead of a bit part player.
Old 26-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Riedewald is a good player and will get better. My only criticism of his signing is that the money could have been so much better spent elsewhere - ie on/towards a keeper or striker. But that's not riedwald's fsult. He's technically composed. Though I'll never know what FDB was thinking by playing him as a CB.
Old 26-02-2018, 02:54 PM

cranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcranesparkeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodger View Post
RH 0 bringing on CYL when we are defending for our lives thats just rank bad management.

The rest worked hard with no quality to open up the Spurs defense all average 5/6. Tomkins 8 the best if it was cramp then it was another bad decision to take him off.
Have you ever had that kind of cramp on football pitch. I have. You cant actually move. Sadly we had a close to immobile Delaney o replace him with. We might have been better off keeping Benteke back there for the last few. How two players seemed to run underneath the ball after the header baffled me
Old 26-02-2018, 04:09 PM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I am quite a bit more optimistic about his potential but agree that is what happened. The only thing I would say is that which player didn't struggle on Sunday at some point and I was impressed that he was actually getting box to box in such a difficult game. But obviously needs to improve. There was also one very nice touch on the edge of the box I remember but nothing to change the opinion.

The dispossessed stats were
3 - Jairo, Benteke 3
2 - Sorloth, Wan Bissaka
1 - Townsend, Macca

Two at least of the 3 were when he was up front and one of them will have been that stinger that even the commentator/pundit pointed out.
Perhaps you are right. I haven't written him off but equally haven't seen anything that's made me think he's got potential to be much better. My impression with him probably wasn't helped by the ball bouncing off him several times late in the second half when we had a rare and promising chance to create something.

He is young though. Who knows