Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:22 PM

Tim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle's Nest View Post
?

He's not our only striker?
Serloths not ready for this level yet.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Tim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveyHawking View Post
Some might say we're not raining goals because he's the one playing upfront...
I agree he’s hopelessly out of form but he’s all we’ve got!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisophiex View Post
I wish he did a bit more running about.
I don't

score one a match for rest of season, even of that means a single touch per game
Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 PM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufan View Post
Which, to be fair, is the kind of frontman who'd succeed here - and the kind of frontman we thought we were getting when he signed. For such a big unit he looks incredibly timid on the pitch. He needs to pull out all the stops now, I'd say his career depends on it.
More Christine than Christian.

I want an agressive, competitive rotweiler c/f with a more intimidating name to match. Lucifer or Satan. He plays like he's wearing stilettos and reminds me a bit like a bigger version of George Ndah. Too nice.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Maidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We can’t drop him because there is no other realistic option because Sorloth lacks experience and have to hope that he returns to form otherwise we’re toast...
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Palace Addict

trufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB View Post
More Christine than Christian.

I want an agressive, competitive rotweiler c/f with a more intimidating name to match. Lucifer or Satan. He plays like he's wearing stilettos and reminds me a bit like a bigger version of George Ndah. Too nice.
Fair point about the name. We've got Christian and Soldier, neither of whom are pulling their weight. Puts added pressure onWard.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM
red and blue army

PalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceSi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Benteke is suffering because he's too isolated. We can't expect him to do it all on his own, he hasn't got pace or skill so he needs players around him to interact with.
Us playing with three defensive midfielders and two wingers is killing him, there's just no one near him at all, no one to flick the ball on to, no one to play a one two with,no one to be a dual threat from crosses, it means apart from getting on the end of a cross there's nothing else he can do and if he's the only one up top central defenders know thats his only threat and stop him.

It doesn't help thats is blown some great chances all season too but still there is a reason he's been so bad this season and its not all down to him.

The lack of a number 10 has been a big problem for years, we've almost forgotten what one is. We've been suffering so badly from only one striker that we've forgotten that we also had no number 10's at the club since Chamakh.

That player who can muck in in midfield but also be part of a potent front two is what we've been lacking and Benteke needs one to play with, he can't do it on his own.

He might as well be dropped because isolated like he is he's useless. The sad thing that Sorloth will have the same problem and until we solve this number 10 issue any number 9 will too.

Obviously we've got to hope we can stay up with what we've got, against the big boys when you are defending all hands to the pump the number 9 will be even more isolated leading to the sort of performance Benteke had against Spurs.

He might as well be dropped against ManU and Chelsea and the more hard working Sorloth put in his place in the hope we can be defensively strong as long as poss, then bring Benteke on when we need him i reckon.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Certified Grumpy

T.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
No option at the moment but to keep him in the side but when Wilf comes back then yes he should be dropped
Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I would play him in the next two because of his big game experience but if we lose these two and he doesn’t perform particularly well in either game then I would definitely drop him for Huddersfield which could be our cup final in terms of staying up (if we lose the next four games - Man U, Chelsea, Huddersfield and Liverpool - then I fear we are toast).
Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I can't believe that some people are still making excuses for him
Old 04-03-2018, 01:47 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceSi View Post
Benteke is suffering because he's too isolated. We can't expect him to do it all on his own, he hasn't got pace or skill so he needs players around him to interact with.
Us playing with three defensive midfielders and two wingers is killing him, there's just no one near him at all, no one to flick the ball on to, no one to play a one two with,no one to be a dual threat from crosses, it means apart from getting on the end of a cross there's nothing else he can do and if he's the only one up top central defenders know thats his only threat and stop him.

It doesn't help thats is blown some great chances all season too but still there is a reason he's been so bad this season and its not all down to him.

The lack of a number 10 has been a big problem for years, we've almost forgotten what one is. We've been suffering so badly from only one striker that we've forgotten that we also had no number 10's at the club since Chamakh.

That player who can muck in in midfield but also be part of a potent front two is what we've been lacking and Benteke needs one to play with, he can't do it on his own.

He might as well be dropped because isolated like he is he's useless. The sad thing that Sorloth will have the same problem and until we solve this number 10 issue any number 9 will too.

Obviously we've got to hope we can stay up with what we've got, against the big boys when you are defending all hands to the pump the number 9 will be even more isolated leading to the sort of performance Benteke had against Spurs.

He might as well be dropped against ManU and Chelsea and the more hard working Sorloth put in his place in the hope we can be defensively strong as long as poss, then bring Benteke on when we need him i reckon.
You're wrong...it's not opinion...it's fact. Benteke is *No 2 for missed goal scoring opportunities. He has had chances, just not put them away.

* No 1 is Salah... who has 26 goals this season.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCPFC View Post
I think he should and I think it may do him some good. Let him see the game from a different perspective.

Plus Sorloth needs to be playing where he'll be most effective through the middle, it won't do him no favours being a make shift wide man.
Yep. Dropping him for one game doesn't equate to dropping him for good either. If Sorloth starts, he may, or may not do well, but either way he'll have some experience, Hodgson will know more about what he can do, Benteke, when he does come on (65mins?) will hopefully be pissed off at being sat on the bench and will bring that on the pitch with him.

Benteke needs competition, and all the time Sorloth's on the wing, he hasn't got it.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:55 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James SG View Post
Schlupp comes in and goes wide left and Sorloth up top seems the obvious choice
In one! Yep agree with this and watched a clip of Schlupp on flank and moving in centrally for Leicester other day and the fella can strike a ball.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 PM

melteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Very likely we will lose the next four with or without him
Old 04-03-2018, 02:18 PM

KP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I just think it gives us more options if he was on the bench. Sorloth up front and if its level you can change like for like if its 1-0 or more to them you can bring him on as well as Sorloth with Sorloth moving to the wing. If you start with both of them what option do you have if you need a change with your forwards.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:22 PM

KP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think though Roy believes that if he drops Benteke he will go into a massive sulk and just stop altogether (which i realise is what it looks like most games anyway)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:26 PM

Danny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
You're wrong...it's not opinion...it's fact. Benteke is *No 2 for missed goal scoring opportunities. He has had chances, just not put them away.

* No 1 is Salah... who has 26 goals this season.
Exactly. The constant defending of these big name players is why we are in this mess.

We have enough players fit to drop this lump who offers no workrate, movement or finishing abillity.

Last edited by Danny boy; 04-03-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:34 PM

glenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietglenn.f came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
With other options materialising wide left, it'll be a bit of a kick in the bollocks for Sorloth if he is the one to make way on the back of his efforts in the last two games, when you compare it to Benteke's efforts. It is a complete no brainer and something drastic is needed to kick Benteke up the arse but whether it will happen in reality i'm not so sure. Definitely needs to happen just to get the crowd a bit more pumped.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:42 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.f View Post
With other options materialising wide left, it'll be a bit of a kick in the bollocks for Sorloth if he is the one to make way on the back of his efforts in the last two games, when you compare it to Benteke's efforts. It is a complete no brainer and something drastic is needed to kick Benteke up the arse but whether it will happen in reality i'm not so sure. Definitely needs to happen just to get the crowd a bit more pumped.
We were pretty flat against Spurs last week tbh. Usually loads of noise from the back of the Arthur which gets the rest of the stand going, but not much at all this time. I guess most people were dreading a hammering, but also knowing there's not much chance of scoring ourselves doesn't help. I don't for a second think that Sorloth should start just to get the crowd going, but if he were to, I think there would be a positive reaction in this respect.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:12 PM

CaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCaptainCharisma came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceSi View Post

This is more accurate than people will ever admit to, because hating Benteke has become one of the things to do in this awful season. Don't get me wrong, the guy has missed a lot of good chances, he could and should be quite easily in double figures. But for some reason, the goal against Chelsea last season aside, he seems to be awful with his feet. On his day, he is one of the best headers in the league, but the guy is so devoid of confidence he never seems to have that day anymore. He almost seems to panic that he is going to mess up, so takes an extra touch that then sees him mess up.

So yes, he is deserving of criticism for his failings. BUT at the same time, the point above is valid. There seems to be a lack of understanding that our strikers struggle to score because we never support them. We play one up top, but never a player just off their shoulder. We kind of tried it with Wilf, but he really has no positional clue how to play that role and his natural instinct is to go wide, so he was never anywhere near Benteke. Benteke gets slated for lack of movement, running etc. But the guy wins a very high percentage of the headers played up to him. The problem is, we never put anyone near him to challenge for the knockdowns. Some games he is lazy, some games he actually works very hard, but is so isolated that he looks like he hasn't done anything, when actually it is others letting him down. Wickham gets criticised when he plays, because he suffers the same isolation, but once again that is overlooked. Pretty much all of Wickham's goals were created by himself, only the semi final goal was a cross I believe. Gayle is a good finisher, but struggled in our team because he couldn't lead the line alone, especially so isolated.

Just watch our games until the end of the season and look at how many crosses we put in. Then look at how many are actually aimed at Benteke's strength, his head. Most are chest height at best. Same went for when Wickham played. Look at how many men we actually commit into the opposition box, because it isn't many. The amount of times Wilf would cut a ball back into the box, with only two targets at best among 5-6 defenders. Even our set pieces are poor because Cabs is so awful at them, that not just Benteke, but the likes of Tomkins and Dann(when he was fit) are starved of headed chances. We seriously lack an accurate creator. Yannick could beat 4 players and get to the box, but his final poor was often so poor. Wilf can beat a load of players, tear into the box, but the final pass just doesn't find anyone. Townsend can run and run, beat players, but rarely finds his man in the box. Look at Arsenal at home, 3-2, dying seconds, wilf beats players, cuts into the box, both Benteke and Sako unmarked at the back post, ready to almost tap it in, and the ball goes straight to a defender.

Yes, Benteke has had an awful season, but we have to look at the bigger picture, not just one man. Also, I saw someone compare him stats wise to Salah. But the fact is, players like salah, they get more than one chance a game, probably two or three great chances. Benteke gets one most of the time, because we create so little. Look at the season we came up, we won so many penalties that Murray was able to miss one in more than one game and still walk away with a couple of goals because we were creating chances and at times getting more than one pen a game.