Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-01-2003, 12:02 PM

ammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineammiller : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace Guard

Who was a member of this club?

I was a corporal (I never found out how you went up in rank).
I played for the U11 team which was trained by a youth tean player called Steve Hockham. I wonder what happened to him?
We used to train in the car park in the days before Sainsbury's and sometimes used to train in the Gym in the roof of the Old Stand.

Our manager at the time was a bloke called Alan Trott. Our captain was his son, Alan Trott junior (who didn't get the job just cos his old man was the manager - he was our best player.

I was a goalkeeper, and after playing a couple of pre-seasons, we lost our first league game of the season 4-2 after going 2-0 up. After playing a blinder in the warm up, I didn't play too badly, except that their equaliser was a sogt shot that bounced over me. I never played again.

Some kid called Andy Arthur (whose mum had something to do with organising fixtures if my memory serves me right) came from nowhere and got the no 1 jersey. I still turned up as substitute goalkeeper, but lost interest after a while. I am still bitter and twisted about not getting another chance.

Other players in the team whose names I remember are Aidan Plumridge and Brendan Behan.

We had our team picture in the program v Chesterfield in 76-77 season.

I remember that the General used to have a page in every programme. It was Peter Taylor, although they never seemed to mention this, and when he left it was Ian Evans.

Was anyone on the BBS ever part of that team? Or any other team? What are your Palace Guard memories?
Old 11-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Fading into memory.

E.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineE.X Moontoad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was a Palace Guard - can still remember my membership number, 0023!
I also managed to rise to the rank of Lieutenant, no less. I guess that this was achieved by winning two or three of the competitions set on the Generals page. I remember getting presented with one of them (a Palace diary,if I recall rightly),by Peter Taylor, at one of the Palace Guard met ups which were held at the club. However this was not quite true, as I was sat at the back and had trouble negotiating the rows of chairs to reach Peter! I was eventually handed my prize by Tony Shaw, the commercial director(?) at the time.
Didn't play for any of the Guard football teams, however I do notice from the local press from time to time that there is still a team called Palace Guard and often wonder if it is still the same club, although it would clearly no longer be affiliated to CPFC.
Where I can't be seen, I don't wanna be free
Old 13-01-2003, 02:14 AM

johnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty airjohnny is fond of sand dunes and salty air
I remember the luminous orange membership card from around 1975' ish.I really wanted to be involved in it all,but I lived too far away and a lot of Palace Guard activities clashed with my commitments with the Boys Brigade (2nd London Battalion Harringay).I was really proud of my membership card though !,and always entered the competitions in the programme to design a new kit and all the rest of it.I wrote in once about becoming a ballboy , but no one ever got back to me.I'm still slightly bitter about that to be quite honest.
Old 13-01-2003, 06:56 AM
he's no David Bailey...

selhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineselhurst : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace Guard are still going, and they have several Junior League football teams. My son played for them for one season, and was Ball Boy for the Reserves and the first team on a number of occassions. All the Ball Boys at Selhurst Park are from Palace Guard. However, I do remember the original Palace Guard of the 1970s, and the column in the programme.
Old 13-01-2003, 02:23 PM

Gazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGazza2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Used to play 4 them in park in Norbury (I think).
Old 15-01-2003, 07:12 PM

Ave Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses growAve Satani knows where the wild roses grow
Yep - Palace Guard is still going strong and is run by Darren & Sally Barrett and have teams of various age groups in the Tendridge League (which is sponsored by Palace).
All Palace ball boys are Palace Guard players.

Gazza 2 - when you played for the Guard, I bet it was in the days of old style boots and brown leather footballs that (allegedly) weighed a ton when wet!
Old 19-02-2003, 09:21 PM

mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!mole knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
Palace Guard...memories....It's funny the things that you don't throw out. After having a sort out the other day, I found all my membership cards, all bright colours (Green, Pink, Orange) I think for every year you were a member, you went up a rank ! Good deal there, I wanted to join because I wanted to be a ball boy and wear one of the blue Philips track suits they used to wear in the mid 70's !
Sad
Old 07-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Sandpiper is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Hey Ammiller, Alan Trott senior is my dad and of course, Alan Trott junior is my brother and yes, he was a bloody good player (but I wont admit that to him!!!)Its so good to hear about the 'old' Palace Guards as my dad (and mum) put so much time and effort into getting this club up and running with such a good reputation, which it still maintains to date.

I was ony very young when I was drAgged along to the weekly matches but its nice reminiscing all the old names that you mention, such as Andy Arthur!!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I know a mate of mine David Davis was a member, he was the lead ballboy for a couple of seasons...which was a shock to us on the terraces as he'd never mentioned he was a Palace fan at school.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM

SIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnSIR lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawn
Yeah played for them when I was 12/13. (about 20 yrs ago!) We used to train at the staples car park down Whitehorse Lane.

Manager was a guy called Austin.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:14 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCP Satellite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have some great memories of the Palace Guards.

I joined in 1974, when it started up - I used to write in regularly to try and win prizes and also joined one of the football teams - our manager was Bill McAllister and coach was John Harding, we had Tony Shaw's son David in the team.

I remember the first General was a Scots player called Roy Barry - I think my first Palace away trip was a Palace Guard outing to Aldershot in 1975 (Palace lost 1-0!).

I think the Guards was a great idea - but it was scrapped by Ron Noades - because, believe it or not - he thought the idea was too 'Military' and so we had 'Junior Eagles' instead - but without weekly competitions, meetings, football teams , etc. Well done, Ron!

My son joined the Palace Guard football club that is still running and won a few trophies with them and also was a ballboy on many occasions - usually in front of the away section - and he told me of how he was getting stick from a young Tranmere fan, whom he bet Palace would beat on pens in a League Cup match - when Steve Kabba put in the winning Palace pen - the young Rovers fan had dissappeared!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Rollercoaster rider

RednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Both my sons were Palace Guards more or less from birth.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Strictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkStrictly Palace sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
I played for the Palace Guards for two seasons. Best moment was getting to a cup final, it was played at Selhurst Park, and I scored one at each end in a 3-1 win - my life was complete and I was only an under 12!!!

Paul Bradbrury (sp?) was our manager and I used to see him in the Main Stand programme shop by the Holmesdale, but not sure he still does that.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM

IanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIanH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was a Private and my number was 0038 (I think). I vaguely remember when it started that everyone knew that the General was a Palace player but they wouldn't tell you who it was until the first meeting in the old supporters club behind the Old Stand- was it Peter Taylor?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 PM

ballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittensballboy_1975 - whiskers on kittens
i was a ball boy for a couple of years, great time
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
The ball boys came out onto the pitch from the corner of the Old Stand & Whitehorse Lane, went to the centre circle, spread out around it, then ran off in different directions to their positions. Choreographed ball boys!

Who opened their lunch?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM

gkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegkp : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was 1 of them...private 0013
Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM

garronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgarronrav came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky
The ball boys came out onto the pitch from the corner of the Old Stand & Whitehorse Lane, went to the centre circle, spread out around it, then ran off in different directions to their positions. Choreographed ball boys!
I remember that
Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 AM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkp
I was 1 of them...private 0013
Private Potatoes.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:57 AM

apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time apeagle is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Hey ammiller. I was in that under 11's team. I seem to remember spending alot of time on the bench that season but those were great days and training at the ground was something special. Living in Oz these days and stupidly just started playing again - still searching for that extra yard of pace!