Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 23-04-2003, 10:20 AM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by as216
Which one are you going to? I was going to London on the 2nd but am now going to Portsmouth on the 3rd instead.
I'm going to the London one on the 2nd. looking forward to seeing Amen supporting them too
Old 23-04-2003, 10:23 AM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I've hated Evan Dando ever since he was was a couple of hours late for his set at Glastonbury and made us sit through an entire set despite the fact that all the Dando fans had buggered off assuming he wasn't going to show and everyone was there to see Portishead who were desperate to come on.
Old 23-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
He speaks very highly of you.
Are you going to see Cat Power as well to see if you score with Chan?
Old 23-04-2003, 10:47 AM
pura vida

Sunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSunny Fan : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Glad to hear it. I was less tolerant in those days obviously.
I'm tempted to go to see Cat Power, it's in May I think isnt it? Should check with the Gav and see if he'll let me come along.
Old 23-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Is anyone else up for Dandy Warhols on 23 May at Brixton Academy? New album out soon as well.
Old 23-04-2003, 02:00 PM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Vines tonight..review tomorrow
Old 23-04-2003, 03:49 PM

Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time Twyford Bee is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Quote:
Originally posted by Del Gland
For example, OK Go are on in June and well worth checking out!
What do you think the rest of their album is like? Q said everything apart from "Get Over It" was rubbish and that their singer's voice sounded awful on most of the rest of the album.

Last edited by Twyford Bee; 23-04-2003 at 03:59 PM.
Old 23-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Resurrection!

Baloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBaloo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I tend to agree with Q's review (sorry Benzhiyi)
Old 23-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Rhymin & Stealin

nookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
Glad to hear it. I was less tolerant in those days obviously.
I'm tempted to go to see Cat Power, it's in May I think isnt it? Should check with the Gav and see if he'll let me come along.
Cat Power?!!???

When? Where?

If there's no Brighton date, Martin, I'd be up for going if you're interested
Old 23-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Rhymin & Stealin

nookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadowsnookiebear is no longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows
Oh, saw Steve Malkimus last night at Concorde 2 in Brighton

Top night had by all
Old 23-04-2003, 04:30 PM
pura vida

Cool, I'll investigate. Find out what night Gavin's going and crash his party. He won't mind.
Think it's Shepherd's Bush (room to stay if you like - just don't do a Skin Up and disappear half-way through the night).
Old 23-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by nookiebear
Cat Power?!!???

When? Where?

If there's no Brighton date, Martin, I'd be up for going if you're interested
There isn't. They're playing Leicester and London and returning to London on 20th June or thereabouts.
Best album this year for me, at present.
Old 23-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Self Portrait

g23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhinog23 is game warden to the rep rhino
Quote:
Cool, I'll investigate. Find out what night Gavin's going and crash his party. He won't mind.
Think it's Shepherd's Bush (room to stay if you like - just don't do a Skin Up and disappear half-way through the night).
May 12 - I've got seats upstairs, as I'm old and refined, now. You can meet Sally, who I know from the Bergman season (took your advice eventually). If I could be in two places at once, I'd also be at the Lyric watching Howe Gelb. Cruelly, the same night I'm seeing Yo La Tengo (May 7), Smog are on elsewhere.

Chan Marshall's back in town on June 20 at the Union Chapel with Damien Jurado.

Surprised none of the old stagers are getting excited about Springsteen at Crystal Palace on May 26-7 or Neil Young in Hammersmith on the 18-19. Or Ray Davies at the RFH on the 16. Or Lou Reed at the Barbican on the 28, come to that - probably only doing this 'Raven' thing, though.

Mogwai might be worth a look (Scala, May 22)
Old 23-04-2003, 08:41 PM

vivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyesvivideagle dances before me like a million eyes
going to see the Buzzcocks on sunday at the shepherds bush empire.A few hours beforehand in the walkabout "wot do i get?" urrgh PISSED
Old 23-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Southern Bitch

Oryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses growOryol knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
I've hated Evan Dando ever since he was was a couple of hours late for his set at Glastonbury and made us sit through an entire set despite the fact that all the Dando fans had buggered off assuming he wasn't going to show and everyone was there to see Portishead who were desperate to come on.
He had "problems" in those days, didn't he?

Should have read this thread earlier. Just ordered the album off cdwow, in anticipation of being in the UK shortly to collect the post. If I'd known I could scrounge it off El Aguila, I wouldn't have bothered!
Old 23-04-2003, 11:06 PM

TARRING EAGLE is playing for a contract
Massive Attack at Brixton last saturday, bit dull really.
Old 24-04-2003, 09:38 AM
pura vida

Quote:
Originally posted by g23
May 12 - I've got seats upstairs, as I'm old and refined, now. You can meet Sally, who I know from the Bergman season (took your advice eventually). If I could be in two places at once, I'd also be at the Lyric watching Howe Gelb. Cruelly, the same night I'm seeing Yo La Tengo (May 7), Smog are on elsewhere.
May 12th good for me (as if I'd be busy on a Monday). Upstairs or downstairs would tempt me. Hmm, Sally, eh? Is she a freak or normal? Nookiebear / anyone else for that matter: Give me the word and I'll phone through for some tickets.
Old 24-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Let it Be

Riccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRiccardo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Is anyone up for the Bluetones at the Concorde 2 in May - 21st I think ?

I know Skin 'sleepy' Up is.
Old 24-04-2003, 10:10 AM
www.b00mb0x.org

Del Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Gland : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Twyford Bee
What do you think the rest of their album is like? Q said everything apart from "Get Over It" was rubbish and that their singer's voice sounded awful on most of the rest of the album.
I think it's a fun album. True, it's not mindblowing musically, but it just has a good feel to it. Try and check out "Don't Ask Me" and "Your So Damm Hot" to get my drift.
Old 24-04-2003, 10:44 AM
www.b00mb0x.org

The Vines London Astoria 23/04/03

The Vines opened up their short tour by playing their postponed NME gig last night.

As with the other NME gigs there were two support bands. The first was a band that I had not heard of called The Stands. I was quite impressed with their sound which was mainly guitar based and had elements of Tom Petty/Thrills/La's. Very tuneful and they went down very well with the crowd, especially when they played an mainly instrumental number that showed how together they were. One to watch!

Next, it was Rocket Science. There have been murmours of great things, but I have to say that I found them pretty bland. The frontman's dramatic playing of the theremin on top of the speakers reminded me of the monolith scene in 2001 and didn't do anything for me. One long number was based on the riff from "Foxy Lady" and I'm sure half the audience thought it was the Hendrix classic as the vocals were so inauduble.My daughter, however, liked them and bought their EP which we listened to on the way home but it still left me flat.

So, after a short break, on strolled The Vines and just ripped the place apart.

Craig Nicholls is one of those frontmen that can come across as a Rock God or a complete jerk depending on your point of view. Well, it's the former for me. Only Casey Chaos comes close with the same on-stage intensity.

They played a number of new tracks which indicate a strong follow up to "Highly Evolved". In between they played most of my favourites in between much on stage mayhem. The notable ommission was the brilliant "1969". However, in it's place, they played a new song "F the World" as an encore which was an epic. It could only end in another bout of stage destruction and didn't disappoint. Craig dived into the drums, threw his guitar and managed to clumsily knock the amps over. This was a great Spinal Tap moment as he lost his balance completely and toppled right over with only his legs waving in the air behind the heap of equipment.

My gripes? Firstly the set was only just over an hour. Secondly, there were a handful of slam dancers who were really trying to cause injury and mayhem to all around them. The security guys really needed to get in there and to pull them out. Finally, when the band finshed their set, the audience were strangely subdued. I suspect that this was from exhaustion after they had ripped the roof off with a thunderous version of "Get Free".

There are still tickets available for Brixton. It wasn't sold out last night either and the touts took a hammering (10 a ticket) Thoroughly recommended, one of the best live bands around - don't miss it!.