Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIan Hart came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A lot of goalkeeping is down to luck. Hislop made an (almost) fatal misjudgement in leaving Granville's free-kick, and got saved by the woodwork. As the ball didn't go in, the error is quickly forgotten. If it had been a goal, there'd have been a thread like this on the Portsmouth BBS.

On the other hand, Speroni didn't make a misjudgement in trying to save the shot - can you imagine the reaction if he had simply watched it, and it had gone in, as I think it would have done. However, he had the bad luck that the touch he got on it took it in the wrong direction.

It's bizarre to blame the keeper for today's defeat. He made some good saves, playing behind a defence that seemed to have been made out of a jelly mould. If you want to apportion blame, give some thought to players who'll earn more in a year than most of us will see in a lifetime, but can't pass a ball to a colleague ten yards away.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:57 PM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Most of the problem seems to be that Speroni doesn't inspire confidence in the defenders in front of him and in turn they don't seem to trust him.

Popovic's own goal is a by-product of this, he obviously feels that if he lets it go past him it will be chaos behind him, so tries to block it in any way that he can and ends up backheeling it into his own net, cos he was never really in any position to get anything on it.

Ignoring the obvious mistake, a couple of incidents spring immediately to mind;

1) Away at Norwich the communication seemed commical, culminating in him running into the back of Granville when eventually coming for a ball.

2) Home to Chelsea, about 5 mins after the first goal, Babayaro put a similar cross in, it was no more than 3 yards from goal and not that high, as Popovic eventually had to stoop at the far post to knock it behind for a corner - surely we should be expecting a Premier League keeper to be dealing with these situations.

Sure he makes some good stops, but how many does he actually hold (eg Yakubu yesterday, just after the first goal where he palmed it a few yard in front of him, luckily no-one was following up).

This isn't meant to be a slagfest against him, for one i've not seen Kiraly play, so i'm in no position to judge whether he is any better, but IMO he is learning at this level and unfortunately we haven't got the time to let him learn.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:13 PM

TheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTheCharmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He doesn't seem to inspire confidence that s for sure. If a keeper get s a solid hand on the ball and it still goes in, he s going to get slated.

There are many good shot stoppers around, it s the way he deals with crosses, communicates and kick s that seperates the ok keepers from the top ones. For me he doesn't quite seem to be there.

But how can people say pick Kiraly? No one s seen much of him. Dowie and Kelly see both of them day in day out.

You ve got to back their judgement at this stage. It s still very early days, don't panic yet.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Sprid

hernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overratedhernehilleagle would love to stay here and be normal but it's just so overrated
If we take him out now he loses all confidence. I'm happy ID is sticking with him.

Claude Levi-Strauss
Old 12-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Honk

Gosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGosling came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by alpine eagle
drop spilloni and give gabor a go
No matter what your views on him, calling him spilloni is disgraceful.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
We have been hindered by individual errors too much this season [Speroni v Everton, Poppo v Boro and Speroni again v Pompey]
Why just highlight the defensive erros? What about the one-on-ones missed, and the pen miss? AJ (who i think should be one of the first names on the teamsheet) is as guilty as anyone for making costly mistakes.
Old 13-09-2004, 02:22 PM

DrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happyDrRock gave me sunshine, made me happy
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I blinked and missed that shot, it was an absolute bullet and is a keeper supposed to be able to judge to the centimetre whether or not it's going in? I think he did bloody well to get to it and a more 'solid' keeper might not even have managed it.
Well said that man. Give Speroni a proper chance. I think he's still in the doghouse with some of our lot after his Everton capers, but in fairness, I don't think he's done much wrong since.
Old 13-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
If we give Speroni any more chances to prove himself, we'll be relegated by February.
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 13-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
I meant November
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 13-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Shooting down bogans

oz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietoz_da II came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by kolinkins
Why just highlight the defensive erros? What about the one-on-ones missed, and the pen miss? AJ (who i think should be one of the first names on the teamsheet) is as guilty as anyone for making costly mistakes.
It's all hindsight and speculation, but it would be interesting to know where we'd be if AJ scored on that one-on-one with Nigel vs Everton.

Go back to sleep, you yellowed-bellied freaks.
Old 13-09-2004, 02:31 PM
User Registered

TonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Speroni is the best rated keepers in the Prem according to the Opta points system.
Some people are so quick to jump on his back it makes me sick. Why don't we drop AJ? - Afterall he missed a pen. Off with his head.

Xbox 360 gamertag: SilkoBal
Old 13-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
So let me see if I've got this straight... Speroni makes a huge howler against Everton and now he's the anti-Christ? That shot from Berger was a bullet - and Berger has just won goal of the month for another long range effort - why didn't the defense or midfield close him down before he got a shot off?

Pops has scored two own goals, where's the thread calling for him to be axed?

AJ should have scored that penalty - that cost us a point in my opinion...

I know I'm not always right (modest eh ), but sometimes some of the opinions on here make me wonder if some of you know anything about football (mind you, we're Palace fans so probably not )
Old 13-09-2004, 02:39 PM
User Registered

TonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTonbridgeEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Reps AJ
So let me see if I've got this straight... Speroni makes a huge howler against Everton and now he's the anti-Christ? That shot from Berger was a bullet - and Berger has just won goal of the month for another long range effort - why didn't the defense or midfield close him down before he got a shot off?

Pops has scored two own goals, where's the thread calling for him to be axed?

AJ should have scored that penalty - that cost us a point in my opinion...

I know I'm not always right (modest eh ), but sometimes some of the opinions on here make me wonder if some of you know anything about football (mind you, we're Palace fans so probably not )
Agreed, at last someone who know's what they're talking about

Xbox 360 gamertag: SilkoBal
Old 13-09-2004, 02:45 PM

Daddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDaddy Long : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I remember ID's comments after one of the NI friendlies. He said Kiraly was aggressive coming off his line to collect balls into the box and was a good defense organiser. Well hello.
Old 13-09-2004, 02:45 PM

GloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGloverUK : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by NicolaVentola
ok fair play.

He's shit.

Bring on Kiraly.
DITTO
Old 13-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by PoolKing
Who would you rather play though??? A proven quality keeper who is dominant and very reliable and been 2nd best keeper in Germany or a one-season wonder in Scotland who doesn't inspire confidence and makes costly mistakes?
It's true that Kirlay deserves to be given a chance, but i'm surprised so many people assume he's a quality keeper whenever he signed to play as second choice to a club that was written off by most to be relegation fodder. David James, Ian Walker and countless others have had a good season in the Premiership but many keepers jst loose it after a season or two. If Kiraly was still proven quality I'd have thought we would have faced some cometition to sign him.
Old 13-09-2004, 02:53 PM
jó csávó

Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.
There's a lot of head scratching going on in Hungary right now - and its easy to see why.

Speroni looks a good shot stopping reflex keeper to me. A bit like Cedric in many ways just better and with a (much) smaller nose.

The thing he isn't doing is marshalling in any way the tawdry back-line in front of him.

I haven't seen much of Gábor because for obvious reasons I live in Hungary and he played in Germany.

However the Hungarians I've spoken to tell me that the sound of Király calling the play is an ever present feature of his game.

As JV said yesterday now that Shipps isn't playing you can hear a bloody pin drop its so quiet out there.

Perhaps Dowie is waiting for the right time so as not to destroy his (undoubted) self-confidence. Whose to say when we might need him again and there's not much point bringing in a reserve keeper with zero confidence.

Also if Király is more like the finished article maybe he's waiting until he's learnt to speak English a bit better. I guess there's more to it than learning everyones name and then being able to scream drop, push up, drift right, tight on him etc etc.

Finally if major defensive surgery is needed do you do at the same time as replacing the keeper or afterwards?

I reckon Popo and crew will look a lot better in front of a keeper who can call the game.

Then again what do I know?
Old 13-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Get the f* off my Cloud!!

Scifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietScifo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by bkcbongo
just like james, you get to a point where the costly errors outweigh the quality saves..... could the defence even be suffering from a lack of confidence on the keeper behind them???
Or it could be that we've got a division one defence playing in the Premier League.
Old 13-09-2004, 02:57 PM
jó csávó

Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.Pistike has 10,000 rep points. No prize though; sorry.
Quote:
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
I meant November
If we're down before Christmas then at least we can all start concentrating on getting fabulously drunk!
Old 13-09-2004, 02:59 PM

18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning18mcpalace would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Can I just say that I don't think this Speroni bashing will achieve anything! Things are tough at the moment, but we need to pull together rather than aimlessly having a go.

Yes, I do agree it's about time we saw what Gabor Kiraly and hopefully he will prove more succesful.

Blog site: http://aaronporter.wordpress.com/