PDA

View Full Version : Football hero when you were a kid

Samo*
06-07-2001, 01:57 PM
My hero was Garry lineker,a master finisher.
http://www.worldcuparchive.com/LEGENDS/lineker.jpg

If you "are" a kid reading this thread then please feel free to put up your present day hero!

:)

simon
06-07-2001, 02:10 PM
Without a doubt Vince Hilaire. When I was a wee nipper he was everything that I thought was cool about footbal. Style, skill, pace and the HAIR. I'm probably biased because of this early idolisation, but I think in today's game he would certainly have achieved full international recognition - he should have back then.

Batsta
06-07-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by SAMO*

If you "are" a kid reading this thread then please feel free to put up your present day hero!

lineker was a class player, i guess gazza was my football hero. only based on talent:)

DiscoDaveyf
06-07-2001, 02:26 PM
I agree Simon, I was a big Vince Hilaire fan. For me he was definitley the mot exciting player at the Palace when I was a kid. Outside of the Palace I was a massive Glen Hoddle fan, thought he was brilliant to watch and could do things no other players could.

jrnicholson
06-07-2001, 02:29 PM
George Best was the first player I wanted to be like but as I was the (junior) school goalkeeper Peter Bonetti was my hero.

Later the player I wanted to be like was Peter Taylor but I reckon the best, most consistant Palace player I've seen is Kenny Sansom. Tremendous at turning defence into attack.

Smurph
06-07-2001, 02:36 PM
George Best, George Best, George Best
Palace - Peter Taylor then Jerry Murphy!!!

Daddy Long
06-07-2001, 02:37 PM
Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle, Terry Butcher, Ray Clemence

zonin2000
06-07-2001, 02:46 PM
Beckham, Zidane and Veron.

Dorking .Eagle
06-07-2001, 02:57 PM
Jim Cannon and George Wood.
When we were kids and played in the playground I "was" Jim Cannon. Other kids "were" Bryan Robson, Chris Waddle, John Barnes etc but it was Jimbo for me.

TOP CAT
06-07-2001, 04:05 PM
Bobby Charlton

Palace player - Peter Taylor

Both still great men now.

g23
06-07-2001, 04:49 PM
The unparallelled Franco Baresi.

da_latvian_roberto_carlos
06-07-2001, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by SAMO*

Same here, i liked paul ince too. Eric Young (as we have the same surname) and Gazza

the Italia '90 world cup was amazing, wasnt there a third place play-off aswell?

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
06-07-2001, 04:54 PM
Mine were Gary Lineker, Mark Hughes and Michel Platini.

(As you can tell by this, I play centre forward myself!)

SKATE
06-07-2001, 05:05 PM
Steve Kember

Gooders
06-07-2001, 05:12 PM
Mine was probably Rodney Marsh in his pomp at QPR.

Shame he turned into such a **** when he got older.

eagle mart
06-07-2001, 05:25 PM
For me it was Glen Hoddle then Ian Rush and as I reached double figures, Ian Wright.

Scoot
06-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Johan Cruyff and Keving Keegan.

For Palace it was Peter Taylor then Kenny Sansom.
I waited for hours to get his autograph at a sportshop in Basingstoke when he was still with the Palace only downside was that bloody Jimmy Hill was there as well :cool:

PeterH
06-07-2001, 05:30 PM
Being a former manc supporter Steve Coppell, Stuart Pearson. Other than that Kevin Keegan.

Sunny Fan
06-07-2001, 05:35 PM
Kenny Sansom, Vince Hilaire, Budgie as well, though I never wanted to be in goal

Top Eagle
06-07-2001, 05:46 PM
Mine was Glenn Hoddle, like someone else said he could do things that no other player could do.

I also was a massive Marco Van Basten fan, probably the best striker I have ever seen.

More recently George Weah (when at Milan) was a class apart.

Favourite Palace player was probably Ian Wright and more lately Lombardo.

CM_Addicted
06-07-2001, 06:52 PM
Has to be Ian Wright.

Also enjoyed watching Peter Ndlovu when he was at Coventry. I will always remember that hat-trick he got against Liverpool. Shame hes lost it now.........

Sweaty Sock
06-07-2001, 07:06 PM
Graham Souness, Hard as F**k!!!! :grrr: :o

James Simmo
06-07-2001, 07:21 PM
For some reason when I first started going to the Palace it was Shaun Brookes or Vince and my fav player non Palace player was Zico.

Brett
06-07-2001, 11:42 PM
Mark Bright
Glenn Hoddle
Gary Lineker
Marco Van Basten
Ian Wright

selhurst star
07-07-2001, 01:27 AM
Gary Shaw of Aston Villa superb and underrated player

Daniel_Nash
08-07-2001, 12:14 AM
Lineker was my hero. I was just becoming seriously interested in football when he moved to Spurs, 89-90, and his goals put Spurs into 3rd that season.

Gazza's flair in Italia 90 was fantastic. I think he was the player of the tournament.

And yes, there was a 3rd placed playoff. England lost 1-0 to Italy (i think it was 1-0 anyway) and Salvatore Schilarci (sp?) scored the goal.

selhurst
08-07-2001, 12:19 AM
First it was
Gerry Queen... then it was
Don Rogers... then it was
Peter Taylor... then it was
Mark Bright

I haven't really had any heroes since.

cumbrian_eagles
08-07-2001, 12:46 AM
It was Nigel till we sold him, now a days its Aleks, i even use his tactics, I.E. Screaming and running as fast as i can out the area in an attempt to kick the ball.

Philr_99
12-07-2001, 05:43 PM
Barnes or Van Basten

Philr_99
12-07-2001, 05:46 PM
Actually has anyone seen Soccer AM? whenever the mystery guest has to say the best player they ever played againsT (or with) its always rush barnes or dalglish.

PeterH
12-07-2001, 05:53 PM
Sod it, I am still a kid.

Dougie 'Get in there you beauty' Freedman.

Billy_the_Eagle
12-07-2001, 06:02 PM
My favourite, and I go back a long way, in the days of Dick Graham mgr was that hard tackling left half Bert Howe, with the sides of his shorts & sleeves roled up.
Then there was Cliff Holton followed by "Yogi" Hughs and Gerry Queen.
The Greatest goalkeeper, must be Stonewall Jackson then Bill Glazier. :clown:

Skid Row
13-07-2001, 02:13 AM
Seeing I'm relatively new (1992) to following football seriously, mine would be Daniel Amokachi. Nigerians rule.

markholmes1991
13-07-2001, 02:16 AM
Lineker, he was in a league of his own.

Jim Cannon was also a hero of mine. I never saw him in a Palace shirt
(I started going the season after he left the club) but I went to school with his son Andy (as did SexyRazor) & meeting Jim at a BBQ
(about 1991) I was humbled to actually meet an Ex-Crystal Palace captain.
It was only in later years did I find out what a loyal servant & good player he was.

THEGING
13-07-2001, 02:37 AM
Daglish,
Zico,

He how dares wins

Levski
13-07-2001, 02:51 AM
Gotta say Lineker as well. His last England game, when we crashed out of Euro 92, when Taylor took him off to be replaced by Alan Smith (whaaa?) was on my birthday. I was inconsolable.

World Cup 86 was my first real engagement with football. His goal to pull it back to 2-1 vs Argentina in the Maradona-handball- then-best-goal-ever game. It was amazing, Barnes' cross and there he was. A few minutes later, exactly the same move, but Lineker puts it wide. Probably my first really long lasting football memory.

Ho hum.

Canute
13-07-2001, 02:58 AM
Oh Lineker, old hero, the true gentleman of this game. I'll never forget his hat-trick against Poland in '86 when he was playing with that bandaged wrist.

Gavin Axten
13-07-2001, 03:30 AM
Palace favourites were Sansom,Murphy & Swinlehurst.
Non Palace, Keegan & Steve Heighway for some strange reason.

woolpacker no 2
13-07-2001, 04:05 AM
Now lets see!

Bobby Woodruff
Jonny byrne
John Jackson
Peter Wall
Gerry Queen
Alan Whittle
Mel Blyth
Steve Kember
Terry Payne
Paul Hammond
Jim Cannon
Phil Holder
Peter Taylor
Kenny sansom
Billy Gilbert
John Burridge
Vince Hilare
Martin Hinchelwood
Anton (cant spell it)
Kevin Mabbert
Tony Finnigan
Andy Gray
Ian Wright
Mark Bright
Nigel martyn
Geoff Thomas
Chris Coleman
The Ninja
Lombardo
Jolly Rodger
Matt Jansen

Other Players
Clyde Best
Charlton B&J
Alan Gilzeen
Ralph Coates
Martin Chivers
Martin Peters
Bobby Moore
Peter Lorimer
Pat Jennings
Pat Rice
John Toshack
Gert Muller
Pele
Paul Brightner
Johan Cruyff
Neiskins,. thats about it for now,sorry for spelling mistakes...SGE

and all of our present team

Gavin Axten
13-07-2001, 04:18 AM
Eeerrrr its supposed to be when you were a kid Woolpacker or have you eternal youth??? :)

woolpacker no 2
13-07-2001, 06:24 AM
I was born in 62 and have never grown up:D ,but as you can see most are from my youth;) ...........................SGE

NZsparky
13-07-2001, 06:58 AM
Vince Hilaire
Peter Taylor
Kenny Sansom
This is like a show your age thread!

King_Gazza
13-07-2001, 12:22 PM
Alan Shearer

Billy_the_Eagle
13-07-2001, 12:28 PM
This is like a show your age thread!

Born 1952 and been a PALACE supporter ever since.....I can even remember the match between Palace & Real Madrid, for the opening of the new "Halogen" stadium Floodlights. We lost 4-3 but that sight of Puskus and the rest was something else.

__________________________________________________ ____
WOOL WOOL WOOLPACKERS................. :angel:

BaldEagle69
13-07-2001, 12:45 PM
Pele and Eusebio (?)...

In the UK it would have to have been George Best, Brian Kidd and Kevin Hector (Derby).........

hilairehair
13-07-2001, 02:02 PM
Vince Hilaire and Kevin Mabbutt

Both had great hair.:cool:

simon
13-07-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Billy_the_Eagle

I can even remember the match between Palace & Real Madrid, for the opening of the new "Halogen" stadium Floodlights. We lost 4-3 but that sight of Puskus and the rest was something else.

A Liverpool supporting friend of mine just sent me a programme from that match, in better condition than most of my programmes from this season! The Real Madrid team at the time was just unbelievable. Still can't understand why the best team in the world at the time agreed to play us, can you imagine it now?

Billy_the_Eagle
13-07-2001, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by simon

A Liverpool supporting friend of mine just sent me a programme from that match, in better condition than most of my programmes from this season! The Real Madrid team at the time was just unbelievable. Still can't understand why the best team in the world at the time agreed to play us, can you imagine it now?

I unfortunately didn't obtain a programme of the game but yes, the REAL MADRID team at the time was unbelievable. To this day, I still don't understand how the PALACE mgmt staged the game !!! Arthur Wait may have been involved but I am not sure...BUT what a brilliant PR coup - Could Simon Jordon equal or better that ???

MARKOFBLOCKB
13-07-2001, 04:18 PM
MY HERO HAS TO BE THE MIGHTY GLEN PENNYFATHER

ORIENT 0-3 PALACE
2nd ROUND DRAW CHARLTON V PALACE
HOW GOOD WOULD THAT BE

paf
13-07-2001, 04:33 PM
Mine was Gary Lineker................ until speaking to a journalist friend who told me about the 'real' Mr Lineker.

I know this sounds terrible, but he's a lucky *******. A tabloid was going to run an extremely damaging story about him, but his son was diagnosed with Leukemia and it was decided not to run it.....

Gavin Axten
13-07-2001, 08:47 PM
I forgot about John Burridge!!! I was around 11 at the time and his pre match warm ups were well worth seeing, excellant keeper as well

BJ
15-07-2001, 06:59 PM
I always thought Bryan Robson was a cracking player, no doubt I'll be shot down in flames for that one!!

Also liked Gary Shaw, a natural finisher who was very unlucky with injuries.

Glenn Hoddle was always a delight to watch, he should have had so many more England caps.

Samo*
15-07-2001, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by paf
Mine was Gary Lineker................ until speaking to a journalist friend who told me about the 'real' Mr Lineker.

I know this sounds terrible, but he's a lucky *******. A tabloid was going to run an extremely damaging story about him, but his son was diagnosed with Leukemia and it was decided not to run it.....

Well come on then, what was it he did paf?Dugs,sex,rock and roll?