PDA

View Full Version : Everyone Support Dumbarton

Full On
08-07-2001, 08:22 PM
We should make twinning football fans a simular thing to twinning towns I feel I Dumbarton should be are scottish supporters. Our scottish twins. They are based on the outskirts of Glasgow there rivals the mighty CLYDEBANK.

"We hate Clydebank, and we hate clydebank...."

I've lost there web-site address (yes there is one)

Im only eighteen and ive follwed them as long as i can remember. They used to be comfortable in the first divison before going tits up and finishing mid table in the scots. third division.

Anyone have any suggestions for other teams to twin with in other countrys?

Steve in Phoenix
08-07-2001, 08:32 PM
Phoenix Coyotes :D

This will never be a goer.. far too much diversity to agree on a common "other team".

Full On
08-07-2001, 08:35 PM
www.dumbartonfc.com

this may make you change ur mind :-)

I love hte phoenix coyotes (what sport is it by the way?)

cappuccinoeagle
08-07-2001, 08:38 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Partick Thistle,underdogs, Glasgow's third team and all that. Have they ever played Palace, does anyone know?

Full On
08-07-2001, 08:38 PM
heres another team to twin with LOL :-)

www.eteamz.com/mutznutz

WorthingEagle
08-07-2001, 08:51 PM
Scottish Football: Queen's Park
Europe: Dynamo Kiev
Ice Hockey: New York Islanders
Basketball: LA Clippers

And I prefer Clydebank to Dumbarton so we shouldn't twin with them ;)

2can
08-07-2001, 09:03 PM
Partick Thistle have always been the closest scottish team to CPFC - they have all the characteristics - yoyo club, good name, and they always seem to get all the bad luck!

Sandowneagle
08-07-2001, 09:34 PM
Non league team

It has to be the mighty beavers - Hampton & Richmond.

The reasons why are as follows
- They wear red and blue
- They sell red and blue bar scarves - old school type
- You can watch them from the terraces with a pint in your hand.
- They also lost a semi-final last year and have never one a trophey.
- They've just sold their prize centre forward - Leroy Griffiths to QPR.
- The mascot is a beaver, so you get to shout 'nice beaver' each week.

Come on you BEAVERS/

Full On
08-07-2001, 09:42 PM
Why do you prefer Clydebank?

Okay Thistle sounds good, I used to work with a jock that supported them he told me how hed hunted down a video for 4 yrs of the league cup final vs. celtic in the mid seventies which thistle which they one four-one.

Last time dumbarton played the thistle it was 4-1!

fav Jock team: dumbarton
fav. euro team: Skonto Riga
fav yanky footy team: miami dolphins
fav. basketball team: Orlando Magic
fav international team: latvia

Steve in Phoenix
08-07-2001, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Full On
www.dumbartonfc.com

this may make you change ur mind :-)

I love hte phoenix coyotes (what sport is it by the way?)

:p Its ice hockey. Wayne Gretzky has actually just become their owner-manager. Kind of like Pele or Gary Lineker taking control of Palace. I think there are quite a few Miami / Orlando / Florida supporters on the BBS.

I was called 'Worried'
08-07-2001, 11:08 PM
Maybe (as a Croydon team) we should be twinned with the team of Croydons twin town, Arnhem (Bad spelling!)

This is where they play:

http://www.cpfcpictures.homestead.com/files/how_it_should_be.jpg

Yozden
09-07-2001, 12:00 AM
Definitely has to be Partick Thistle - their ground is only about half a mile away from me and I'm sad to say I'm more likely to see them playing than Palace this year...:blue: although I might get to the away game at Forest at the end of August...:cool:

Full On
09-07-2001, 12:41 AM
Yeah, why the funk is Croydon twinned with arnham as its so scenic should it be Venice!

So weve agreed Crystal Palace are to twinned with Arnham and Partick Thistle,

The Ice hockey team a steve of phoenix mentions.

What bowt everywhere else, I think we should choose hearts of oak in south africa simply coz they have a tree in the centre circle which they need to play around, coz its historical! Internationally we should support nigeria coz they are nicknamed the eagles.

In australlia, do we support northern spirit or croydon?

In asia, the team fanny came from and Chna internatioanlly, mind you nepal wear red and blue stripes.

In south america dont boca juniors wear red and blue?!

Wayne gretski - ive heard of him, hes regarded as the greatest hockey player ever is he not? He was also in a very weird kids programme on chanel for a few years ago where he a baseball hero and a basketball hero used to solve mysteries!

Any other suggestions?

Full On
09-07-2001, 12:44 AM
Hang on, isnt crystal palace itself actually in Bromley, wheres that twinned with?

Stonewall_Jackson
09-07-2001, 12:57 AM
Croydons twinned with Arnhem because of the link with 10 Paratroop Regement at the bridge which the Germans defended.

Neil the Eagle
09-07-2001, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by cappuccinoeagle
I've always had a soft spot for Partick Thistle,underdogs, Glasgow's third team and all that. Have they ever played Palace, does anyone know?

Yes they have once back in 1972. Palace won 2-0 at Selhurst

Strathclyde Eagle
09-07-2001, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Yozden
Definitely has to be Partick Thistle - their ground is only about half a mile away from me and I'm sad to say I'm more likely to see them playing than Palace this year...:blue: although I might get to the away game at Forest at the end of August...:cool:

And Firhill is the only place where I've ever been to game in April and been freezing. Not funny, and it was only a friendly!

They are based on the outskirts of Glasgow there rivals the mighty CLYDEBANK.

Hardly that mighty with a minimal support, no ground and no money. Indeed twelve months ago few people expected them to survive.

Incidentally my fiancee's brother's girlfriend is from Clydebank. For fear of starting a family ruck I won't say what I think about her here. ;)

Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
Phoenix Coyotes :D

Please, give it up. :cool:

Do you want me to tell everyone that their stadium is known as "America's Worst Arena"? ;)

Let's Go Ducks!

DAS
09-07-2001, 02:17 AM
My vote is for Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Myself and some mates went to see them play a local derby with Ross County last season as a stop off when driving up to the North Highlands. They have a nice, if rather windswept gound. But, more importantly they play in Red and Blue stripes!!

Stonewall_Jackson
09-07-2001, 02:49 AM
Inverness Caledonian Thistle is a bit of a mouthful,good job there wasnt a merger with Clanuccuddin as well?

Silver Fox
09-07-2001, 03:14 AM
Non league:

My vote is for Whitley Bay.

They play in blue and white stripes, they're from a seaside town and they're crap. Sound like anyone we know? Perhaps I'll vote for Dumbarton after all.......

www.whitleybayfc.co.uk (http://)

2can
09-07-2001, 04:00 AM
Hang on, isnt crystal palace itself actually in Bromley, wheres that twinned with?

More than one town, I think. But isn't the town of Crystal Palace in Southwark?

Am off to the Partick Thistle message board...

2can
09-07-2001, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by DAS
My vote is for Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Myself and some mates went to see them play a local derby with Ross County last season as a stop off when driving up to the North Highlands. They have a nice, if rather windswept gound. But, more importantly they play in Red and Blue stripes!!
no they play in red and yellow

Men At Work
09-07-2001, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Stonewall_Jackson
Inverness Caledonian Thistle is a bit of a mouthful

True. But they did help produce the headline of the season, albeit ripped off from elsewhere, when they beat Celtic away in the Scottish League Cup - Super Cally Go Balistic, Celtic Are Atrocious.

RDSdaEAGLE
09-07-2001, 04:26 AM
I think Inver Cally Thistle would be a good twin club...small, but lots of potential.

Or Wick Accademicals...they're in the Highland League, and were unlucky not to get promoted into the Scottish League.

Steve in Phoenix
09-07-2001, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Do you want me to tell everyone that their stadium is known as "America's Worst Arena"? ;)

Let's Go Ducks!

;) :p Was worth a try.. America West Arena is a terrible stadium I'll agree.. The Coyotes are building a new one in West Phoenix which will be ready in about 2003/4 and will generate them about $250 million in naming rights alone.

If some people are right, we could well be doing the same and building a new stadium.

DAS
09-07-2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 2can

no they play in red and yellow

1. Go to www.caleythistleonline.com
2. Go to Squad or clubshop section.
3. Look at the pretty pictures.
4. Apologise profusely.:)

Full On
09-07-2001, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

And Firhill is the only place where I've ever been to game in April and been freezing. Not funny, and it was only a friendly!

Hardly that mighty with a minimal support, no ground and no money. Indeed twelve months ago few people expected them to survive.

Incidentally my fiancee's brother's girlfriend is from Clydebank. For fear of starting a family ruck I won't say what I think about her here. ;)

Let's Go Ducks!

I was nly kidding, i would think sutton united get simular attendences to dumbarton!

10-07-2001, 12:18 AM
Why the HELL are we discussing scottish 'football'?

I was called 'Worried'
10-07-2001, 12:29 AM
Arn't we closer to being twinned with *whispers* Brentford... :eek:

2can
10-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by DAS

1. Go to www.caleythistleonline.com
2. Go to Squad or clubshop section.
3. Look at the pretty pictures.
4. Apologise profusely.:)

Didn't read your first post except for the bit about red and blue. I assumed you were talking about PARTICK thistle because everyone else was...

Latvian
05-06-2003, 10:06 PM
I know who we should be twinned with....

http://www.subside.co.uk/shirt.asp?req=5&id=pedwhss02&nat=0&tm=675

DEPORTIVO WANKA of Peru :D :lux:

Brett
05-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Gotta be Kristall Smolensk of the Russian Second Division. First name Kristall (Crystal) and they play in red and blue. :cool:

Steinadler
06-06-2003, 10:01 AM
There's a Dutch team called 'Go Ahead Eagles'. Their website http://www.ga-eagles.nl/ used to have parts in English but I can't find them since they've redone it.

Kenny Ransom
06-06-2003, 10:06 AM
I didn't know that they played football in Scotland.

elliott
06-06-2003, 02:35 PM
its vital that our twinning teams wear red n blue

Jimbo ?
06-06-2003, 02:51 PM
the one and only st johnstone fc! more in common with them - little in the way of cash struggling to make the top division, have a couple of players who think they are better than the rest of the club!

Latvian
06-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Do they wear red and blue?

JamieBcpfc
08-06-2003, 02:02 PM
fav prem team-Blackburn(cause of jansen)
Soft spot for-Notts Forest(first match ever watched
Fav Italien team-Ac Milan(cause of shevchenko and others)
Fav Europeon team-Dynamo Kiev
Fav Yank team-Metrostars
Fav Frog team-Nantes
fav international team-ukraine
2nd fav international team-Liechtenstein
Spain-San Fernando
Germany-Wolfsberg
that should cover it dont hav a fav scottish team

PhilD
08-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
DEPORTIVO WANKA of Peru :D :lux:

It would be great if they played at Wankdorf, but it would be a bit of a treck!

Jimbo ?
08-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Latvian
Do they wear red and blue?

blue with a touch of white. close but not quite unfortunately!