PDA

View Full Version : Peter Crouch

Billyd
11-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Should southampton go down and we stay up wouldnt mind seeing him in palace shirt. what do you reckon?

Excowboy
11-05-2005, 12:34 PM
he'd be perfect. Wouldn't like being on the bench when we go 4-5-1 with AJ though. Don't think last saturday did this possibility any good either. Hopefully we will stay up and Ventola will do the job just as well.

palace 4 life
11-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Would never come to us with the season he has had. And being on the verge of the england squad i reckon he would go to somewhere like charlton/tottenham.

Son of Ron
11-05-2005, 12:41 PM
no he's a freak - or is that a bit harsh.

one (half) season wonder I reckon.

Neil 154
11-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't think Palace fans have endeared themselves to Crouch. Is it just us, or do all fans give him a hard time?

NO1FAN
11-05-2005, 12:43 PM
He would never come to us after all the grief he has got from our fans everytime he has played against us.

Pezzadoner
11-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Wouldn't happen, but IMO would be a quality partner for AJ.

BUNGLE
11-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't be keen to see us play the kind of footie Southampton were playing before he got sent off.

Gooders
11-05-2005, 12:50 PM

Gooders
11-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by palace 4 life
And being on the verge of the england squad...

Utterly ridiculous.

Jasper
11-05-2005, 12:57 PM
I remember in the Summer I dreaded coming on here or picking up a paper and seeing some kind of specualtion that we would be signing Peter Crouch. I remember saying to my mate " He's exactly the kind of donkey we will sign for big fee." Shows how much I know. I'd be more than happy to have him at palace next season.

Some clubs might be wary of buying him though. When he went to Villa for 5m he was a flop. Perhaps the pressure of a big money move could get to him.

Beanie
11-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by palace 4 life
And being on the verge of the england squad ....
Don't listen to what Harry Redknapp would like to believe. If Sven even has vague wonderings about the guy I'd be worried. Dean Ashton must be ahead of him, Heskey, Vassell, Smith, even Ameobi and that's without the ones in the last squad. He has nuisence value but once defences work him out he'll fade away again. Ventola is much better and if we go down and can't keep him I'd be just as happy with Shipperly.

glaziers fan
11-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Don't listen to what Harry Redknapp would like to believe. If Sven even has vague wonderings about the guy I'd be worried. Dean Ashton must be ahead of him, Heskey, Vassell, Smith, even Ameobi and that's without the ones in the last squad. He has nuisence value but once defences work him out he'll fade away again. Ventola is much better and if we go down and can't keep him I'd be just as happy with Shipperly.

That's ridiculous. He has excellent touch, good vision, decent mobility for a big man and is excellent in the air. He would support AJ more than any other. His flick-ons with AJ beside him would be too dangerous for words. There's no other striker I would rather we has beside AJ.

zonin2000
11-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Billyd
Should southampton go down and we stay up wouldnt mind seeing him in palace shirt. what do you reckon?
I think this is a comparable notion to Saints fans thinking that they might sign Andrew Johnson, should they survive at our expense.

Batsta
11-05-2005, 02:27 PM
He would be perfect If we played a long ball game like Southampton.

AJ
11-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Excowboy
he'd be perfect. Wouldn't like being on the bench when we go 4-5-1 with AJ though. Don't think last saturday did this possibility any good either. Hopefully we will stay up and Ventola will do the job just as well.

IMO if we stay up we will not play 4-5-1 next season. I would expect to see a number of signings as well. Players like Hughes, Aki, Soares and Leggy would not all be starters in midfield, if they are, we WILL be relegated by Christmas:o

Excowboy
11-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by AJ
IMO if we stay up we will not play 4-5-1 next season. I would expect to see a number of signings as well. Players like Hughes, Aki, Soares and Leggy would not all be starters in midfield, if they are, we WILL be relegated by Christmas:o

Beg to differ on the first point.

Look at Everton. If we did sign quality midfielders including a Cahill type we could do very well with just AJ up front. Not necessarily every game,but especially against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea where whichever two players we have in midfield they wont be able to stop the opposition controlling things.

Beanie
11-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
That's ridiculous. He has excellent touch, good vision, decent mobility for a big man and is excellent in the air. He would support AJ more than any other. His flick-ons with AJ beside him would be too dangerous for words. There's no other striker I would rather we has beside AJ.
All you say about touch,vision and mobility is true, but he is not yet in the class of current England strikers. In the air I think he is very poor. His size dictates he will get to the ball frequently, but he rarely directs it cleanly (last saturday most of them came off the back of his head and the neck) in open play if you mark the player for whom the flick ons are meant you will close down his effectiveness. If he has a chance of making England - and if he continues to improve he might - it will be for ability on the ground not in the air.

andy_cpfc
11-05-2005, 06:08 PM
There's no other striker I would rather we has beside AJ.

I think Theiry Henry could be a better option :p

palace 4 life
11-05-2005, 06:14 PM
All you say about touch,vision and mobility is true, but he is not yet in the class of current England strikers. In the air I think he is very poor. His size dictates he will get to the ball frequently, but he rarely directs it cleanly (last saturday most of them came off the back of his head and the neck) in open play if you mark the player for whom the flick ons are meant you will close down his effectiveness. If he has a chance of making England - and if he continues to improve he might - it will be for ability on the ground not in the air.

i disagree i think hes been quality in the air this season and actually decided to use his height to his advantage previous seasons i believe he has been trying to prove hes good on the floor. I would place him above heskey, smith and level with aj.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
11-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I think he is a fantastic player. But, as was already pointed out, I'm not sure he would want to play at Palace.

Braders
11-05-2005, 08:28 PM
No thanks would'nt mind Dean Ashton though............................................ yeah like thats gonna happen:rolleyes:

BlazeRIP
11-05-2005, 08:36 PM
they can keep twiglet boy . Lanky streak of piss

LeeH
11-05-2005, 08:44 PM
No - I think him and AJ would be a poor pairing - sure you want both your forwards to knock them in but I think that Crouch would rob AJ of any decent chances because he is as goal hungry as AJ himself. If only 10% of those go in, and AJ isnt getting the service he should, it cant be a good thing.

With both of them up front, Crouch would get the lions share of the ball as the high ball would creep into palace's game the longer the match went on...so AJ would miss out.

just my opinion of course

dodge_bond
11-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by BlazeRIP
Lanky streak of piss

took the words right out of my mouth, but would like him at palace a styarted a thread on him at the biggening of the season and said he would be a good addition to the squad. great arial abilty (who would'nt have being 6'7) would be great alongside AJ.

LLCOOLSTEVE
12-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
Utterly ridiculous.

Care to comment now :moo:

Cleon
12-05-2005, 12:40 PM
I think AJ and Crouch would be a great combination. AJ has the ability to play off the last defender, run at defenders with pace, and provide excellent link-up play. Crouch has the ability to obtain knock-ons, link up play, and score from things like corners (remember that?).

I've said before that I'd like to see us start next season with five (realistically obtainable) forwards:

Johnson, Crouch, Morrison, Torghelle and Andrews

sydnsteve
12-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Like Jasper, I remember saying he was the last player we wanted, but he has proved me totally wrong (as I hope Palace do on Sun). I agree with Cleon, that he would work very well with AJ. He is actually now pretty good in the air, and will get better, and also excellent on the floor, which gives a lot of options.
Unfortunately i think it rather more likely that Soton will be looking to take AJ from us.

Jay_Palace
12-05-2005, 01:28 PM
He's a very good player and should definitely be someone we should consider if we stay up.

Gooders
12-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Care to comment now :moo:

Yes. I think it's utterly ridiculous that this non-footballer is in an England squad.

It cheapens the whole thing.

LLCOOLSTEVE
12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Yes. I think it's utterly ridiculous that this non-footballer is in an England squad.

Id love him to sign for Palace :D

Gooders
12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
As does the inclusion of Scott Carson, David James, Matthew Upson, Phil Neville, Michael Carrick and Owen Hargreaves - but that's for another day.

Gooders
12-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Id love him to sign for Palace :D

So would Dowie, unfortunately. :sob:

AndyStreet
12-05-2005, 01:45 PM
That Crouch is in the England squad and so widely lauded is symptomatic of the shitness of the English game.

KungFuCharlie
12-05-2005, 03:37 PM

What he said

glaziers fan
12-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
That Crouch is in the England squad and so widely lauded is symptomatic of the shitness of the English game.

Yeah, we're rubbish. Team in the European Cup Final, Lampard coveted by all the top sides. We've got no chance in Germany.

I can't think of many strikers who are 6'7" who are as good on the ground as Crouch. Really hope he is involved in the international squad. With Beckham's delivery and AJ's willingness to get in behind, he could be lethal.

AndyStreet
12-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, we're rubbish. Team in the European Cup Final, Lampard coveted by all the top sides. We've got no chance in Germany.

I can't think of many strikers who are 6'7" who are as good on the ground as Crouch. Really hope he is involved in the international squad. With Beckham's delivery and AJ's willingness to get in behind, he could be lethal.

I didn't mean in terms of players available, I meant in terms of our ethos and tactical approach to football (had you bothered to read my post properly you would have seen that I said shitness of the English game, not of 'Team England', nor of the ability of some of the top English players). Making use of players like Crouch encourages one dimensional hoofball that is shit to watch and relies on little or no technical flair. And Crouch is a handful, but he's by no means 'lethal' in the air.

Still, kudos on the sarcasm.

limited_edition
12-05-2005, 05:00 PM

It cheapens the whole thing. Keeps Heskey out the squad so I'm fairly happy. Having said that, would prefer to see Ashton over the Freek in the England squad.

Originally posted by AndyStreet
And Crouch is a handful, but he's by no means 'lethal' in the air.
Absolutely, he's not bad at knock downs, but it's a myth he's great in the air just because of his height. England don't exactly play with natural width anyway. Ashton is a much more intelligent footballer, arguably more suited to the international game than Crouch.

AndyStreet
12-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Absolutely, he's not bad at knock downs, but it's a myth he's great in the air just because of his height. England don't exactly play with natural width anyway. Ashton is a much more intelligent footballer, arguably more suited to the international game than Crouch.

Indeed. I would much rather have Ashton there than Crouch.

Beanie
13-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition
Keeps Heskey out the squad so I'm fairly happy. Having said that, would prefer to see Ashton over the Freek in the England squad.

Agree with this - if Crouch is in the squad as a threat in the air I'd say most international defenders are more at danger from laughter injuries, if its because of his ability on the floor it's not so unreasonable, but given the need is for a strong player in the air Ashton must be feeling pretty peeved.

Sir.S.C Remembered
13-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Cleon

I've said before that I'd like to see us start next season with five (realistically obtainable) forwards:

Johnson, Crouch, Morrison, Torghelle and Andrews

I would prefer:

AJ, Ventola, Forssell & 1 other