PDA

View Full Version : Squad Depth and Fitness

Shipp Ahoy!
23-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Reading the fixture list I just remembered how packed it really is! The season finishes at least a week or two before the Premier and even though we start a couple of weeks before they do it means we have to fit in 46 games in that time rather then 38, not including cup.

As Dowie pointed out on the official site we have nearly 4 games in about a week at Christmas including Ipswich and Leicester, not easy!

So with this is mind it really is important for us to have a lot of depth in the squad so that we have capable players ready and raring to go when the first teamers and needing a break. Fitness is also going to play a huge part this season so lets hope we have the same kind of empthasis on fitness we did last time we went up! We seeemed to lose some of that in the Premier but then again when you are player are better side it makes the first 80 odd minutes even tougher.

So do we have enough depth in the squad and is the reason we seem to have a lot of players in certain positions to cover this!?

Goalkeepers: (Not usually as important when it comes to fitness)

Kiraly
Speroni
Cronin
(I think we willl be ok here.)

Right Backs:

Boyce
Butterfield

Left Backs:

Granville (IF he resigns) - Think it is absolutely vital he does!
Borrowdale

Centre Backs:

Fitz
Ward
Popovic
Hudson
Togwell(?)
Powell (could be off) - I think we could do with keeping him you know!

Right Wingers:

Jobi McAnuff
Tommy Black - Is he really good enough though?

Left Wingers:

Kolkka (if he stays)
Berry
Hope a new signing!
(as usual I am a bit concerned about our left wing!)

Centre Midfielders:

Leigertwood
Aki
Hughes
Soares
Watson
Danze
(still no real goalscorer unless Soares can do that, but otherwise fine)

Strikers:

AJ (yes he will be here!)
Macken
Freedman
Torghelle
Andrews (amazed at the flak he gets and might suprise some this season)
Peltonen
Shipperley
(oh and maybe Kuqi)

easily enough!

------------------------
So looking at our squad I think we probably are just about right for numbers, especially up front if not too many! But need Danny G to resign, A new left winger (no really?!) and I would like Powell to resign.

Views on our depth and fitness.

palace_crystal
23-06-2005, 02:06 PM
In terms of fitness we are the best in the league bar none.

CPFC Ollie
23-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Our squad is looking very strong for next season, plus Bob Dowie said at the beginning of the month 3 more signings were to be brought in.

Originally posted by palace_crystal
In terms of fitness we are the best in the league bar none.

I thought our squad was the fittest, with all the pre-season training John Harbin does with the lads. Who is fitter than us?

Stevieboy2
23-06-2005, 03:58 PM
I think fitness will tell when the season begins. We cannot hope to know what all the other teams training regimes are, can we?!??!

Dom303
23-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I doubt Powell will resign. We have Hudson, Popo and maybe Togwell as back up to Ward and Onesize. He has the option of first team football at Reading

Mackenuff
23-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Agreed. Can't see any use for Powell this season. There are too many ahead of him in the pecking order. Would rather see him go.

Ballon
23-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by CPFC Ollie

I thought our squad was the fittest, with all the pre-season training John Harbin does with the lads. Who is fitter than us?

We thought that last seasomn and conceeded many late and ultimatly costly goals.

eagle22
23-06-2005, 04:42 PM
I think late costly goals is more down to concentration, than fitness!

23-06-2005, 08:38 PM
still cant think why harbin hasnt been snapped up by a big club

then i remembered we are a big club

palace_burger
23-06-2005, 09:49 PM
"Andrews (amazed at the flak he gets and might suprise some this season)"

i kind of agree with you, he might do well in the fizzy, i would love to see him do it and prove us all wrong

I remember wright being a being flakey to start, AJ was a bit pants when he first came and was forced to play out right (take notice Sven)

Give him a chance, his pace will murder some in this league and that could make up for his lack of touch and give him some confidence

cpfc_spc1982
23-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by eagle22
I think late costly goals is more down to concentration, than fitness!

i agree.

cpfc_spc1982
23-06-2005, 10:12 PM
debth no problems. but then its quality over quantity.

AJ
23-06-2005, 11:07 PM
I think there is a good chance that we may see 3 strikers start for Palace. That would put only 3 in midfield, with no wingers, which would benefit our squad, as currently we have 6 more central midfielders and 6, 7 or 8 strikers depending on who stays and who leaves.

Jimbo ?
24-06-2005, 09:41 AM
we are definately lightweight in some positions, left hand side - defence and midfield, right midfield is a bit light too. up front we have lots of players who arent good enough - IMO freedman shipps andrews Aj (leaves). who is left?? torghelle macken who are a bit questionable. ok the squad is big enough but how many of them are really going to be in the teamif there are injuries.????

Jimbo ?
24-06-2005, 09:56 AM
dont want to be -ve but this is my reading of the squad...

Goalkeepers: (Not usually as important when it comes to fitness)

Kiraly - fine
Speroni - fine
Cronin - fine

Right Backs:

Boyce - fine
Butterfield - fine

Left Backs:

Granville - may well be off
Borrowdale - good back up

Centre Backs:

Fitz - fine
Ward - fine
Popovic - decent reserve
Hudson - not really broken though but can step in if needed
Togwell(?) - not ready
Powell - will be surprised if he is with us. would keep him though

Right Wingers:

Jobi McAnuff - fine
Tommy Black - unlikely to feature

Left Wingers:

Kolkka - unlikely to feature and may be off
Berry - not ready

Centre Midfielders:

Leigertwood - curates egg - can do a job
Aki - fine
Hughes - fine but may not do a whole saeson
Soares - fine
Watson - fine
Danze - not ready

Strikers:

AJ - will be off
Macken - questions still there
Freedman - best years behind him
Torghelle - no idea but hope he gets a chance
Andrews - not really seen anything to get excited about
Peltonen - not ready
Shipperley - oh help

Only my opinion!! but in this case the squad is a bit shallow, some players dont appear to get a chance with dowie - players like black, kolka... are unlikely to be given a major work load next season.

so the squad as i see it is
3 keepers - fine

2 Rightbacks - fine
1 Leftback - need a first choice
4 Centrebacks - fine

1 RightMid - need another to help jobi
0 Left Mid - need a couple of players here
5 CentreMid - maybe 1 astute goal scorer

2 Strikers - could be a good strike force but with out Aj it looks abit lightweight or unproven.

first team squad of 18, IMO need 5 more signings

I admit that this is a critical way of looking at it but there are definately gaps in the squad. some players may resign or stay or get a chance - granville kolka Aj, but worst case - assuming they go, we need a few more players

Mackenuff
24-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by palace_burger
"Andrews (amazed at the flak he gets and might suprise some this season)"

i kind of agree with you, he might do well in the fizzy, i would love to see him do it and prove us all wrong

I remember wright being a being flakey to start, AJ was a bit pants when he first came and was forced to play out right (take notice Sven)

Give him a chance, his pace will murder some in this league and that could make up for his lack of touch and give him some confidence

The bloke is a headless chicken! Even at Panda Pop level, I still can't see him being any good.

It's all well and good being lightning quick but when you've got a touch like a baby elephant and couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, what good is it!!??