PDA

View Full Version : SJ on SSN


nottsunieagle
24-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere...

Just caught by chance interview with SJ on SSN. Basically said that it wasn't a case of AJ not wanting to play for palace, but merely that he want's to improve his chances of getting in the England squad. SJ firmly believes that if he scores 30-35 goals this season it won't be a problem. Repeated his line about selling him would be like gaining 50p but losing a pound. but also said that there was a divisive agent involved, yet still expects AJ to knuckle down when pre-season training starts.

With other things, pleased that Dougie and Danny G are on the cusps of signing new contracts, and that he expects us to gain promotion this season.

On the whole a good interview all-round. Interesting that he bore no malice to AJ whatsoever, despite his contractual obligation, yet mentioned that he didn't want Wayne near the club once he decided to leave, even though he had no such obligation. Still came across well.:lux:

Angry Eagle
24-06-2005, 09:58 PM
I was talking to a MIllwall supporter on the train today (veeerrry slowly with no long words) and even he said SJ always comes over well on TV. Mind you he did say Millwall would make the play offs at least.

daz_eagle
24-06-2005, 10:19 PM
thats why we shouldnt get on aj's back too much, coz if he stays he wants to feel wanted. and he is, just people get over excited.

martin.cpfc
25-06-2005, 09:04 AM
I think SJ is great, it's a shame others in football don't have the balls to say what they mean.

hernehilleagle
25-06-2005, 09:09 AM
I agree.

Pooh Pooh head
25-06-2005, 09:09 AM
der der der der simon jordon..

cpfcinprem
25-06-2005, 09:12 AM
He is a bloke who does what he thinks is best and gives 110% commitment. I like him.

Ben H
25-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Angry Eagle
I was talking to a MIllwall supporter on the train today (veeerrry slowly with no long words)

:D

eagles #1
25-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I like SJ very much. I'm glad he cares greatly about the club.

Pub Idol
25-06-2005, 12:32 PM
He was just on SSN. He is exec producer on a show with Nick Moran form Lock Stock. Kinda weird. Anybody shed any more light ?

macstar
25-06-2005, 12:40 PM
But he has caused us problems in the past.

And it still annoys me that no signings were made in january.

Trolley
25-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by macstar
.

And it still annoys me that no signings were made in january.

Which of course was solely attributable to the 'Chairman'.

:grrr: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PalaceFan in Alabama
25-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by macstar
But he has caused us problems in the past.

And it still annoys me that no signings were made in january.

Get over it :clown:

Just in case you did not hear it, we got relegated and it is now June 25th and I am sure you can find the fixtures for the "RC Cola" :D League on the BBS which will confirm your worse fears :rolleyes:

CPFC Guy
25-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Did anyone see the thing on SSN about SJ directing a play?

Ben H
25-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
I like SJ very much. I'm glad he cares greatly about the club.

I like him for what he's done for the club: no one can argue that we haven't moved forward on the pitch over the last 5 years.

As an individual I think he's a pretty nasty obnoxious character.

nottsunieagle
25-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by CPFC Guy
Did anyone see the thing on SSN about SJ directing a play?

he's not directing it, he's the executive producer!

he said that he was told once that if a play hasn't got a well-known script or leading cast member, then it wont do well. he took it upon himself to make money with the project not really sure about much else!

Angry Eagle
25-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
I like him for what he's done for the club: no one can argue that we haven't moved forward on the pitch over the last 5 years.

As an individual I think he's a pretty nasty obnoxious character.
I know where your coming from, but it is interesting to note that when I discussed last week SJ with some Sky TV directors, producers etc.. who have met him, they said what a nice guy he is and how straight talking. Mind you I was wearing a CPFC tie and they could have been being nice to distract me from my audict questions!

feek2000
25-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by nottsunieagle
he's not directing it, he's the executive producer!

he said that he was told once that if a play hasn't got a well-known script or leading cast member, then it wont do well. he took it upon himself to make money with the project not really sure about much else!

He is an investor in the show which is called 'Telstar (The Jo Meeks Story)'. I work for the company that does the marketing, design etc. for the show. I went to the press night last night and SJ was there (in a purple suit, looked like the Joker! also turned up with a couple of Blonde birds) he was at the aftershow party for a while too, I didn't speak to him as I felt it was the wrong time to be tallking football. Great show, go see it if you have the chance, some good acting by some very good British actors.

Beanie
25-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
I like him for what he's done for the club: no one can argue that we haven't moved forward on the pitch over the last 5 years.

As an individual I think he's a pretty nasty obnoxious character.
Guy on the radio today agrees with you (Guy from the NOTW I think) - said that much as he disliked SJ, Palace fans should be grateful to have him as chairman - at least we know we have a chairman who cares totally for the club - unlike a fair few others (he added)

ANDYEAGLE
25-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Guy on the radio today agrees with you (Guy from the NOTW I think) - said that much as he disliked SJ, Palace fans should be grateful to have him as chairman - at least we know we have a chairman who cares totally for the club - unlike a fair few others (he added)

There is a lot of truth in that Beanie. We could do a hell of a lot worse than SJ.

celery stick
26-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Guy on the radio today agrees with you (Guy from the NOTW I think) - said that much as he disliked SJ, Palace fans should be grateful to have him as chairman - at least we know we have a chairman who cares totally for the club - unlike a fair few others (he added)

Hmmmm.
That 11-12 slot on 5Live regularly has a pop at SJ, it usually comes from
Steve Bunce who used to be a regular guest on Fighting Talk and now presents The Rumour Mill. (Transfer gossip)
Bunce is a good name for someone who counts one or two agents among his best friends.

Jack Regan
27-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Angry Eagle
I was talking to a MIllwall supporter on the train today (veeerrry slowly with no long words) and even he said SJ always comes over well on TV. Mind you he did say Millwall would make the play offs at least.

Grandad Trotter: "Your Dad always used to say DelBoy would make the top one day....then again he used to say Millwall would win the cup"

Lion
27-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Trolley
Which of course was solely attributable to the 'Chairman'.

:grrr: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most people seem to blame Jordan for this - I still can't really understand why.

Lion
27-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Ben H
As an individual I think he's a pretty nasty obnoxious character.

Just out of interest - how many times have you met him?

El Aguila
27-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by feek2000
He is an investor in the show which is called 'Telstar (The Jo Meeks Story)'. I work for the company that does the marketing, design etc. for the show.
About Joe Meek? Great - I would like to see that.

Kevan Woz Awful
27-06-2005, 08:48 AM
I like SJ. He's a good Football Club Chairman in my view.
I'm particularly interested to note that much of what he has been saying (and applying at Palace) is now becoming more and more the 'norm' as other clubs catch up.
Recently Ken Bates told the Yorkshire Post;
Their (Leeds Players) expectations are too high and they are in for a real shock this summer," .

"I know of three players who have been asking for 12,000 a week. The average Championship wage this season is going to be around 3,000 to 4,000."

Leeds encountered major financial problems after their relegation from the top flight and Bates is keen to avoid any such worries in the future.

"We have also had one player, who will not even be fit for the start of the season, asking for 12,000 a week for a two-year deal and his agent wanted another 75,000," he added.

"Well, I hope he enjoys his career as a hod carrier."

Whilst I love that closing comment, - Routledge take note - I can't help feeling that if this had been Jordan saying it he'd have been kicked by the press all round the park by now.
There's been nowhere near the same furore about Bates, same as their wasn't when Alan Sugar had a pop at Players (some of who he referred to as scum) & their agents last season.

feek2000
27-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by El Aguila
About Joe Meek? Great - I would like to see that.

Is worth seeing, it's pretty heavy though!

Absolution
27-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Pooh Pooh head
der der der der simon jordon..
We should have a SJ song!

eagles #1
27-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Absolution
We should have a SJ song! Definitely. Though we know what he's like, he'd milk it.

Absolution
27-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Someone go think of a catchy one for the Luton game then

Ben H
27-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Lion
Just out of interest - how many times have you met him?

None - are you telling me I'm wrong?

Lion
27-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Ben H
None - are you telling me I'm wrong?

Right - so you are saying he is a:

"nasty obnoxious character"

But you havn't met him? How does that work?

pedro
27-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Lion
Right - so you are saying he is a:

"nasty obnoxious character"

But you havn't met him? How does that work?
Without doubt he is a character and at times may appear to be obnoxious but he could never be classed as nasty.

smileysmith
27-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila
About Joe Meek? Great - I would like to see that.
So would I ...

celery stick
27-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
I like SJ. He's a good Football Club Chairman in my view.
I'm particularly interested to note that much of what he has been saying (and applying at Palace) is now becoming more and more the 'norm' as other clubs catch up.
Recently Ken Bates told the Yorkshire Post;
Their (Leeds Players) expectations are too high and they are in for a real shock this summer," .

"I know of three players who have been asking for 12,000 a week. The average Championship wage this season is going to be around 3,000 to 4,000."

Leeds encountered major financial problems after their relegation from the top flight and Bates is keen to avoid any such worries in the future.

"We have also had one player, who will not even be fit for the start of the season, asking for 12,000 a week for a two-year deal and his agent wanted another 75,000," he added.

"Well, I hope he enjoys his career as a hod carrier."

Whilst I love that closing comment, - Routledge take note - I can't help feeling that if this had been Jordan saying it he'd have been kicked by the press all round the park by now.
There's been nowhere near the same furore about Bates, same as their wasn't when Alan Sugar had a pop at Players (some of who he referred to as scum) & their agents last season.

Good post.


(Mind you Bates is a tosser.)

Mackenuff
27-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
Whilst I love that closing comment, - Routledge take note - I can't help feeling that if this had been Jordan saying it he'd have been kicked by the press all round the park by now.
There's been nowhere near the same furore about Bates, same as their wasn't when Alan Sugar had a pop at Players (some of who he referred to as scum) & their agents last season.

Definitely something to be said for the press making SJ a bit of a scapegoat. Perhaps it's because he's young and arrogant and isn't scared to raise a few eyebrows or put a few noses out of joint.

Personally, I like what the guy has done at Palace. Fair enough, we've lost out on some players but I'm still confident we'll come back stronger.

Kevan Woz Awful
27-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by celery stick
....(Mind you Bates is a tosser.)

Equally good post:p

El Aguila
27-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by feek2000
Is worth seeing, it's pretty heavy though!
Tortured genius - hard chap to make a light comedy musical about - but incomparably more important than the Beatles, I think. Good show, SJ!

Ben H
28-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Lion
Right - so you are saying he is a:

"nasty obnoxious character"

But you havn't met him? How does that work?

Isn't it obvious? Every time he appears in the media he comes across as obnoxious - don't you agree?

Numerous employees of the club have called him nasty.

Anyway, it's my opinion so feel free to disagree - I note you haven't told us what you think.

JJ
28-06-2005, 02:23 PM
On the whole I generally agree with most of what he says in these interviiews.

Let's face it, no-one likes agents, he just comes out and says it. No-one likes their best players to leave when they're under contract - so he actually tries to do something about it.

BUT...

Sometimes it's just the way he makes his point that makes me cringe. A couple of weeks ago he was talking about Wayne Routledge. He made a joke about picking himself up off the floor for laughing. If he'd left it there, then it was pretty funny, and that would be that. But instead he went on to make a personal comment about how getting any sort of sense out of someone like Daniel Levy was unlikely. He might well simply be saying what he/others are thinking, but in my opinion he needs to know where to draw the line when talking to people who will report every word he says.