PDA

View Full Version : 'I'm just the job'

cpfcben
01-07-2005, 11:25 AM
McAnuff: 'I'm just the job' Jul 1 2005

By James Gill

JOBI McAnuff is relishing the prospect of filling the void left by Wayne Routledge at Crystal Palace.

McAnuff, who signed from Cardiff City last month, cannot wait to show the Palace faithful what he is capable of next season.

But the 23-year-old is less concerned with comparisons with Routledge, than he is to getting Palace and himself into the Premiership. "For me, people might sit there and say is he as good as Wayne Routledge? Can he do this and that? But that is not what it is about for me," said McAnuff, who first attracted the interest of Palace manager Iain Dowie prior to his move to West Ham from Wimbledon.

"I have been in this league for four seasons now and I know I am very comfortable at this level. I want to push on now and step up to that next level, and I am really confident I can do that. I want to do well for Palace and myself.

"I would rather be in this position than at a club where they would be struggling.

Touch wood, if everything goes well, we are going to be up there pushing to get in the Premiership. "That is why I have come to Palace, it is a realistic aim and that is what everyone at the club is geared towards."

McAnuff's desire to better himself will sit comfortably with Palace's backroom staff. There are few bigger advocates of self-improvement than Dowie and fitness coach John Harbin. "Whatever job anyone does they want to keep progressing and moving on," said McAnuff, who can play on either flank.

"The next step for me is getting into the Premiership. That is one of the main reasons I was so keen to come to Palace. "They did so well last year and were so close to staying up. I know everyone at the club wants to be there. They had a taste of it last year. They surprised a lot of people at how well they did.

With that experience, and a couple of other brilliant signings [Jon Macken and Darren Ward], we are definitely going to go for it and hopefully we can be there or thereabouts. "I am 23 now. In terms of football, I am an established player in this league and have played quite a lot of games.

I don't want to be classed as just a Championship player. I want to be able to go and do my stuff on the highest level and play against the best players and see how good I really am. This is definitely where I want to be."

McAnuff will have heard all about Palace's exploits in the Premiership from friends Fitz Hall and Mikele Leigertwood. McAnuff is particularly close to Leigertwood; the pair went to the same school, before rising through the youth ranks at Wimbledon, now known as MK Dons. "I could get first-hand information about the club and how it is run," explained McAnuff. "They're little things which are nice to know when you're considering moving."

McAnuff has only heard positive things about Palace's management staff too. Even as Leigertwood sat in the sidelines at the start of last season, the utility player was still always glowing in his praise for Dowie. "He was just biding his time and waiting for his chance," said McAnuff. "Even at the times when he wasn't playing he never had a bad word to say about the gaffer. "

McAnuff could have thousands more well wishers at Palace should he impress next season. His arrival has truly caused a stir among supporters, who are eager to see the winger in action. That suits McAnuff. "It is always nice to have that bit of a buzz," he said. "It seems to be the case wherever I have gone that the fans have taken to me, so I am hoping it will be the same. I'm an attacking type of player and love to get forward and try to make things happen. But at the same time I try and do my bit for the team.When the fans see you are working they appreciate it."

McAnuff also promises a touch of "entertainment", adding: "As I say, I love getting forward and trying to make things happen and create. I hope to score a lot more than last season. That was my disappointing thing from last season - I don't think I scored enough. "I will always make sure that I work really hard and I will always do my bit for the team. It's quite a good mixture, and I just hope they appreciate what I do.

I'm quite comfortable in this league so I'm confident I can go and have a good season. "So many things can happen at clubs during close season, but from what I've seen everything has been positive. They have set their stall out saying they are going to go for it, and as a player that is all you want.

You want to be part of a team that is focused on getting out of this league. That is how Palace is set up."

EagleSE24
01-07-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. I'm hoping he can take decent free kicks and corners as well (this is not meant to be a veiled dig at Wayne, I really do hope he can)

CarlosTheFinger
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by EagleSE24
I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. I'm hoping he can take decent free kicks and corners as well (this is not meant to be a veiled dig at Wayne, I really do hope he can)

Me too, he is very good and I really hope we see some decent set pieces at Selhurst, far better than the rubbish Wayne Routledge came up with (this is a dig at Routledge, LOL!!!)

Cheers Mateyboys,

Carlos

sydnsteve
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
If he plays as good a game as he talks he should be a great acquisition. I like someone who is confident in their ability, and it does seem as though he will provide some goals, which was WR's glaring weakness.

Neil 154
01-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
[QUOTE] I hope to score a lot more than last season. That was my disappointing thing from last season - I don't think I scored enough.

That's the bit I like. Routledge who?

Tor
01-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Definately the signing I'm most excited about.

kestoneagle
01-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Nice words Jobi...we look forward to seeing the deeds and will cheer you on all the way if you do what you say.

andy m
02-07-2005, 10:47 AM
A bit of pr from a player who was shocked and upset to leave Cardiff. But words aren't important, abilty and commitment count, and I'm excited about this one.

silver
02-07-2005, 11:21 AM
nice one

Clapham Grand
02-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Looking forward to seeing him - just hope that fans don't expect him tobe a direct replacement for Wayne

boxing francis
02-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by andy m
A bit of pr from a player who was shocked and upset to leave Cardiff. But words aren't important, abilty and commitment count, and I'm excited about this one.

Why wouldnt he be shocked and upset? He is a 23 year old who had just settled in an area a long way from home fully expecting to stay for atleast another season. The move to Palace was completely out of the blue.

TonbridgeEagle
02-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Nice one Jobi.

Kevan Woz Awful
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I think he's right.

Whilst I don't think that he will become as good a player as Wayne will be in years to come I actually think he's better than Wayne at the moment. Time will tell.

He's a very welcome addition to our team as far as I'm concerned.