PDA

View Full Version : Palace to play in Premiership?

GreatGonzo
01-07-2005, 11:56 AM
OK it sounds a bit bizarre but is it a possibility or would the FA use the situation to reduce clubs in the Premiership?

Basically Greater Manchester Police have threatened to refuse to police Wigans home matches, and should that happen they will not be able to play next season.

Now we all know the chances are that this will all get sorted out BUT.....if they do not comprimise and do refuse what will happen, If Wigan are out of teh Premiership who will they put in? Or will they just reduce the number of teams to 19?

If they do keep it at 20, surely Palace have the best case to be the extra team as we finished 18th!

Oddjob
01-07-2005, 11:59 AM
surely the likely outcome would be to promote the team who finished below Wigan? i.e Ipswich, either tha of the play off runners up

Jack Regan
01-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Or PNE as they were Play-off runners up?

Cleon
01-07-2005, 12:03 PM
It won't happen, but if it did then I think we would have the strongest of all tenuous claims on the spot! Given the planning already undertaken, I think they would simply play with 19 teams...

gjtango
01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Why have the police refused to attend their games? Something simliar to this surfaced a few months back regarding Wigan, did wonder why though.

GOD
01-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Wigan don't want to pay them

patch
e i e i e i o - up the table we will go!!:lux:

jazman
Wigan don't have enough fans to police!

CPFC987
Play-off, Palace v PNE would be the fairest thing, but can't see that happening.

GreatGonzo
01-07-2005, 12:07 PM
More precisely Wigan do not want to pay the kind of money the police are demanding - they feel they are being unfairly dealt with but the police say that Wigan is one of teh hardest grounds to police. Especially considering the number of away fans that go cos they never get enough home fans!

Baron Greenback
01-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by gjtango
Why have the police refused to attend their games? Something simliar to this surfaced a few months back regarding Wigan, did wonder why though.

I believe the police invoiced Wigan and Wigan refused to pay it. Can't remember why though. The police say they won't attend Wigan's games until they pay up.

Stevieboy2
01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
I think the only way they will decide (if an extra team is needed) is to promote the runners up in the play-off final. I hate to say it, but we DID get relegated.

jazman
01-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I agree, I think that they will go for promoting a club rather than reinstating a relegated one I'm afraid.

Santos-er
01-07-2005, 12:21 PM
When Stevenage couldn't be promoted to the FL from the Conference because of their ground not being suitable, the team who finished in the relgation place in the FL stayed up instead.

A tenuous precedent but in the event that Wigan did get relegated, I think we would be in the strongest position to claim that place. Will never happen though :D

GreatGonzo
01-07-2005, 12:21 PM
You really think so, statistics show that a promoted club would struggle more than a club who have experienced the premiership for a year.

I thik they would struggle to promote an extra side over reinstating a relegated side.

David of Kent
01-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Won't happen, but if it did!! it'd be Preston North End or Ipswich Town

Beanie
01-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Whilst it won't happen - there is already a precident in the Conference. When teams have been prevented from taking their place (3 last season, 1 this) they gave the place to the highest placed "relegated" team - not a team who were almost promoted. So - e-mails to the Greater Manchester Police telling them to stick to their guns!!

Stevieboy2
01-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Is there a deadline on this happening, if indeed it does happen?
This will mean a lot of logistical problems for all the teams involved, especially as the fixtures have been announced.

Just had a thought. It would be typical Palace to get back to the premiership, but play with championship badges on their shirts for the 1st game until someone points out the big boo-boo!!

Stevieboy2
01-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't see how you can choose between a team that has been proven to be not quite good enough to stay up, and a team that is not good enough to go up.

jazman
01-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
You really think so, statistics show that a promoted club would struggle more than a club who have experienced the premiership for a year.

I thik they would struggle to promote an extra side over reinstating a relegated side.

When they see it is Palace that the would have to offer the place in the Prem they would think again :sob: Call me sinical but .....

Fairweatherboy#
01-07-2005, 12:30 PM
They were complaining that they got charged 3 times as much as leeds did, Leeds get 30 odd thousand fans whereas as wigan get around 8 thousand fans. Their chairman couldn't justify paying that much.

All that would happen is that Wigan would have to play behind closed doors in an empty stadium which lets face it they practically do anyway.

They couldn't kick them out of the Premier League on that.

Nice dream but it won't happen

nicky
01-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I think:

If a club cant get promoted for an "administrative" reason - policing, the state of the ground, etc. then the highest relegated club gets saved

If a club is not promoted as punishment for cheating, (eg Swindon), then the next club should get promoted because arguably they would have been promoted anyway had that club not had the unfair advantage.

EddieEdwards
01-07-2005, 12:32 PM
In 1990, when Swindon were relegated from the old Div 1 for financial irregularities after winning the Div 2 play-offs, Sunderland (play-off losing finalists) rather then Sheffield Wednesday (highest placed relegated team) were chosen to take their place.

The current (potential) situation is not an exact parallel, but this is one example where the authorities chose to promote a club rather than reprieve a relegated one. Preston would probably get the vote over Ipswich, but it would be a bit of a tricky decision, so maybe they would choose us to avoid arguments.

So, we have Chelsea at home first game, then. :D

Shipp Ahoy!
01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Seriously, do we actually want the place this season?

I would much rather we have a great season of Championship football and earn are way back to the top flight.

GreatGonzo
01-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Fairweatherboy#
They were complaining that they got charged 3 times as much as leeds did, Leeds get 30 odd thousand fans whereas as wigan get around 8 thousand fans. Their chairman couldn't justify paying that much.

All that would happen is that Wigan would have to play behind closed doors in an empty stadium which lets face it they practically do anyway.

They couldn't kick them out of the Premier League on that.

Nice dream but it won't happen

Yup 17,000 people x 20 average entry cost x 19 games = 6.5million, add in losses of other matchday sales and shirt sales etc etc - they cannot afford to play behind closed doors!

They have said if the police refuse then they are out of it. No comprise would mean an empty place in the premiership!

Logisticaly it would just mean the new team aking on Wigans fixtures, and soon and so forth!

cantspell
01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
precedent in the conference at the moment - best finishing poistion of the relegated team stayed in conference

GreatGonzo
01-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Deadline is August 1st!

EddieEdwards
01-07-2005, 12:51 PM
What would happen to Wigan if no agreement was reached? Presumably they wouldn't be able to play in the Championship either, without policing?

Stevieboy2
01-07-2005, 01:09 PM
I think it's hinging on the fact that premiership games attract more people, and (by law of averages) more trouble.

Kirby
01-07-2005, 01:12 PM
If this happened it'd be absolutely hilarious :D

Kirby
01-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Although our squad would be rather weak.

Stevieboy2
01-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Johnson would think twice about leaving.

c_block_lad
01-07-2005, 01:21 PM
The club got relegated.

Deal with it.

SKATE
01-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately I think Wigan will cough up the dosh!

Stevieboy2
01-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I agree

Shipp Ahoy!
01-07-2005, 01:54 PM
hmmm lets see, Wigan could either pay a few thousand/hundereds of thousands of pounds for the Police or lose out on millions of tv revenue + attendances etc.

Travelcard
01-07-2005, 01:57 PM
It'll be a 30m playoff between Palace and Preston at Cardiff. I'll stake my reputation upon it.

Smurph
01-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Kirby
Although our squad would be rather weak.

We could use the January transfer window to strenghten...

...or maybe not.

Stevieboy2
01-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Doh!

EddieEdwards
01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
The club got relegated.

Deal with it. Can't. (sob)

st albans
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
i thought it was cleared up with a few games left of last season

m355y
01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
just seen this on the news. It'd take almost suicidal stupidity for Wigan to give up their premiership status for the sake for just over 250k but it doesn't sound impossible.

IF they were unable to play in the premiership, I imagine they'd do the same thing they've done in the Conference and SPL in recent years - top 'relegated' side stays up. And that would appear to be you!

Very, very unlikely, but as a neutral (well a neutral with a Palace slant;)) I'd love to see it.

Eagle123
01-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
hmmm lets see, Wigan could either pay a few thousand/hundereds of thousands of pounds for the Police or lose out on millions of tv revenue + attendances etc. Did'nt we say the same about cutting off noses to spite faces when SJ was presented with a 125,000 agents fee when trying to sign Cahill? ;)
Chairman are a stubborn breed at times, still I spose at times they have to be.
Personally I think this is all pie in the sky, they'll pay of course they will.
Also as someone said earlier if Wigan dont have policing they WILL NOT be allowed to play in front of crowds period never mind the Prem.
Remember after that playoff semi between Millwall and Brum? That was in the 1st div and afterwards the police said trouble was so bad that they were considering refusing to police any more Millwall games (efectively forcing Millwall to close down).
Still I cant say I blame them on that one, 3 police horses had to be put down that night not to mention the injuries to nuetrals caught in the crossfire and non football supporting locals getting they're houses or shops smashed up!

Selhurst300
01-07-2005, 05:34 PM
After last night's incidents at Old Trafford, I think Manchester Buccaneers should be thrown out of the Premiership.

Dom303
01-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I reckon we would be allowed to play in the Premiership - definitely not the runners-up. Having said that, I doubt that the Wigan chairman would rather not pay the police than stay in the Prem.

Tanks Jockstrap
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM
i think Mark Mcammon has a better chance of scoring a hat-trick for real madrid in a champions league final

ANDYEAGLE
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Right, so apart from Chelsea Wigan have potentially more money than any other side given to them by Dave Whelan for transfers. It is a dream to Whelan to get Wigan where they are and people think he might be stubborn enough to not get the police sorted.
Please

andy m
02-07-2005, 10:57 AM
West Brom don't use Police, no reason why the even less fashionable Wigan should have to. A civil dispute over a debt isn't going to prevent Wigan playing in the Premiership this season.

burberry boy
05-07-2005, 04:01 PM
well if wigan dont want 2 pay the police then no police will b at the game, only stewards.

and if anyone does get chucked out for any reason then they will just have to wait outside untill the game has finished... that will stop them from getting into trouble wouldnt it ??? ;)