PDA

View Full Version : Squad taking shape/starting line-up for next season

glaziers fan
03-07-2005, 03:31 PM
With the departures of Shipps, Ventola, Powell and the probable re-signings of Freedman and Granville the squad looks like it is almost finalised.

Yes, we know the club want to make further new signings but we also know that our 3 main summer targets have been captured successfully, and therefore any further signings will probably be only squad players.

Furthermore, the squad looks to have 2 players for every position (if we assume Tommy Black will figure, and that Tom Soares will play on the left):-

Kiraly
Speroni

Granville
Borrowdale
Boyce
Butterfield

Ward
Hall
Popovic
Hudson

Kolkka
Soares
McAnuff
Black

Hughes
Watson
Riihilahti
Leigertwood

AJ
Macken
Freedman
Torghelle

Bearing this in mind, what would your line-up be for Luton at home? (You can edit your team should we sign/sell a major player!)

glaziers fan
03-07-2005, 03:33 PM
I'll start the ball rolling:

Kiraly

Granville
Ward
Hall
Boyce

Soares
Hughes
Watson
McAnuff

Macken
AJ

Subs:

Speroni
Leigertwood
Aki
Freedman
Torghelle

Justy C
03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
I think its unlikely that will be our squad at the start of the season, but if it is this is what I'd go with...

Kiraly

Butterfield
Hall
Ward
Granville

McAnuff
Soares
Hughes
Kolkka

Johnson
Torghelle

Subs: Speroni, Leigertwood, Watson, Freedman, Macken

kit82
03-07-2005, 03:53 PM
For our home games against the likes of the 'lower' teams in the division I would use a more attacking formation:

---------Kiraly----------
Boyce-Hall-Ward-Granville
---Hughes-Aki-Soares---
--------Macken--------
-----AJ----Freedman---

With the possibility of Freedman and Macken switching

Subs: Torghelle, Speroni, Watson, Hudson, MacAnuff

That team should give Luton a good hiding!!!

03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
kiraly

boyce hall ward

soares aki hughes leigertwood mcanuff

aj macken

subs- speroni, doug, watson,torghelle, hudson

pap
03-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
I think its unlikely that will be our squad at the start of the season, but if it is this is what I'd go with...

Kiraly

Butterfield
Hall
Ward
Granville

McAnuff
Soares
Hughes
Kolkka

Johnson
Torghelle

Subs: Speroni, Leigertwood, Watson, Freedman, Macken

wheres boyce?????

cpfc_tommy12
03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
.................................kiraly........... ....
..................boyce...ward...hall............. ..
black....soares....watson....hughes....aki......ko lkka
...............................AJ................. .......

well they say pack the midfield

Phil O'Sophical
03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
4-4-2 for me.

.....................Kiraly......................

Boyce..... Hall..... Ward...... Granville

McAnuff .... Hughes... Aki.... Soares

.............. AJ.......... Macken..........

Subs: Speroni, Torghelle, Watson, Hudson. Leigertwood

kit82
03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_tommy12

Black has got a lot to prove to be starting, If we start with a right winger it will be McAnuff

Pre-season friendlies will give all fit players a chance to impress though!

GreatGonzo
03-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Soares is a CENTRAL MIDFIELDER for s sake some of you have no sense

Which is why our squad is not set cos we will be looking for a couple more wingers as we only have 1 in the squad who Dowie is lilely to play at the moment!

RickyB
03-07-2005, 04:37 PM

You are on acid.

gjtango
03-07-2005, 04:38 PM

:clown:

glaziers fan
03-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

Which is why our squad is not set cos we will be looking for a couple more wingers as we only have 1 in the squad who Dowie is lilely to play at the moment!

But it is WELL documented that:

A) We are NOT after Ryan Smith, and indeed haven't been linked with any left-sided players

B) We are looking to sign another central midfielder, eg Wise, Clark, Miller

c) We are still after strikers, ie there are other priority areas...

This suggests to me that although Soares is a central midfielder in the making, he is again going to play down the left!! I can only think that we're going to play a slight variation of the formation we played in the Premiership in that McAnuff will switch flanks with Soares at various points in the matches...

OneSize
03-07-2005, 04:49 PM
..........................Kiraly.................. ......
.......Boyce -- F Hall -- Ward -- Granville..
.....................Leigertwood.................. ..
..McAnuff ......... Soares ..............Kolkka
.................Johnson -- Macken...............

Subs:
Speroni, Watson, Borrowdale, R Hall, Torghelle

Eagle123
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
I dont believe that Macken came to Palace knowing he'd have to "break into the team" therefore I think Dowie will start with him and AJ up front at least for the first few games. Dougie has been told (as ID even told the media he has been told) that his appearances may be restricted to mainly sub appearances. And an excellent sub he'd make. I can think of about hmm let me see, 23 CCC teams who would like to have Freedman on the bench.
Another point has to be central midfield. For me I think its always going to depend on the opposition. Two from Aki, Watson, Liegertwood, Hughesy. I personally think all will play a part and al will play alongside one of the other three at some stage during the season. IF we fail to bring in a lefty it looks obvious that ID intends to use Soares on the left

Benzhiyi
03-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I'd go:

Kiraly

Boyce - Hall - Ward - Granville

McAnuff - Riihilahti - Hughes - Kolkka

Johnson - Macken

Subs: Speroni, Popovic, Watson, Soares, Torghelle

Eagle123
03-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
I'd go:

Kiraly

Johnson - Macken

Subs: Speroni, Popovic, Watson, Soares, Torghelle Dougie not even on the bench? Even in the CCC? :eek:

Steve H
03-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Agree we should go with an attacking formation.

---------Kiraly----------
Boyce-Hall-Ward-Granville
-McAnuff-Hughes-Watson-
--------Freedman--------
------AJ----Macken------

Subs: Torghelle, Liegertwood, Aki, Soares, Speroni

Maybe swapping Freedman for Soares behind a front two of AJ and Macken.

Benzhiyi
03-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Eagle123
Dougie not even on the bench? Even in the CCC? :eek:

Simply because he's a similar player to Macken, whereas Torghelle offers something completely different to Macken and Johnson.

Any time one of those three is injured or off form, I'd have Doog either on the bench or in the side.

GreatGonzo
03-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Ben - that is the team I would also play against the stronger teams, putting in some younger players when opposition is slightly weaker.

However i think we have seen the liklihood of Kollka playing at the end of last season!

Phil O'Sophical
03-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Eagle123
I dont believe that Macken came to Palace knowing he'd have to "break into the team" therefore I think Dowie will start with him and AJ up front at least for the first few games. Dougie has been told (as ID even told the media he has been told) that his appearances may be restricted to mainly sub appearances. And an excellent sub he'd make. I can think of about hmm let me see, 23 CCC teams who would like to have Freedman on the bench.

And I reckon that is also the main reason why Ventola left. Even in the CCC we couldn't guarantee him a start.

limited_edition
03-07-2005, 05:15 PM
I'd go:

Kiraly

Johnson - Macken

Subs: Speroni, Popovic, Watson, Soares, Torghelle So would I. But the last few weeks of season prove, Dowie's got a thing against Kolkka & Aki. Best they can hope for is the bench.

My take as the squad stands. The Adder says McAnuff can play on either wing. Sure, we'll lose a bit of attacking pace down the right flank, but Soares can always swap over with Danny B going into the middle if need be.

-----------Kiraly

Boyce----Hall---Ward---Danny G

Danny B---Soares----Hughes--McAnuff

-----------AJ---Macken

Subs: Speroni, Pops, Watson, Aki, Torghelle

kolinkins
03-07-2005, 05:18 PM
We'll end up with, after the dust settles with transfers with:

Speroni

Boyce
Hall
Ward
Granville

McAnuff
Leggy / Halls
Hughes
Soares

AJ
Macken.

subs: New GK, Freedman, Andrews, Aki, Popa.

limited_edition
03-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins

Speroni

Leggy / Halls

subs: New GK, Freedman, Andrews, Aki, Popa. Harper in goal as a player plus cash swap for Kiraly from the Toon.

Halls instead of Leggy, then. Might as well play with only 4 subs rather than Andrews, then. ;)

glaziers fan
03-07-2005, 06:45 PM

Speroni

Boyce
Hall
Ward
Granville

McAnuff
Leggy / Halls
Hughes
Soares

AJ
Macken.

subs: New GK, Freedman, Andrews, Aki, Popa.

Has someone come in for Watson? I'd want at least 1.5m....

Benzhiyi
03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Ben - that is the team I would also play against the stronger teams, putting in some younger players when opposition is slightly weaker.

Dangerous game to play.

You pick your strongest team for every game, injuries and fitness permitting - otherwise you're asking for some comeuppance.

CK
03-07-2005, 09:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by glaziers fan
But it is WELL documented that:

A) We are NOT after Ryan Smith, and indeed haven't been linked with any left-sided players

B) We are looking to sign another central midfielder, eg Wise, Clark, Miller

c) We are still after strikers, ie there are other priority areas...

This suggests to me that although Soares is a central midfielder in the making, he is again going to play down the left!! I can only think that we're going to play a slight variation of the formation we played in the Premiership in that McAnuff will switch flanks with Soares at various points in the matches...

It's rarely that I agree with Gonzo but SOARES IS NOT A VERY GOOD WIDE PLAYER I'm not personally convinced about him at all but if he has a glittering future, like a lot seem to see, it's in the middle. He's big, strong and quick so maybe he could learn a lot playing alongside Hughesie. In the CCC we are going to need some steel in the middle.:bash: :bash:

kolinkins
03-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Has someone come in for Watson? I'd want at least 1.5m....

no. He's just not good enough to get in ahead of Aki/Hughes/Leggy and Halls if he signs.

limited_edition
03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
no. He's just not good enough to get in ahead of LeggyYou cannot be serious. But then, coming from an arch Speroni fan, maybe you are being serious. ;)

cpfc_spc1982
03-07-2005, 09:46 PM
no. He's just not good enough to get in ahead of Aki/Hughes/Leggy and Halls if he signs.

halls hasnt played centre mid for ages though.

limited_edition
03-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
halls hasnt played centre mid for ages though. Exactly. We could have another square peg in a round hole (a la Fitz Hall in midfield at the start of last season). Team that with Soares at left midfield and we've got two players out of position in the centre of the park. That's positively Pardew-esque.

cpfc_spc1982
03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
at the moment ....

kiraly
boyce hall ward granville
leigertwood
soares hughes
mcanuff
macken aj

id hope for that to change though.

Aki Aki Aki
04-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by limited_edition
You cannot be serious. But then, coming from an arch Speroni fan, maybe you are being serious. ;)

And from someone who would even put Andrews on the bench :eek:

fwied wice
04-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Kiraly

Granville
Ward
Hall
Boycey

Soares
Hughes
Watson
McAnuff

Macken
Johnson

Benzhiyi
04-07-2005, 10:27 AM
You cannot be serious. But then, coming from an arch Speroni fan, maybe you are being serious. ;)

I'm with you. Watson over Leigertwood every single time.

Away Day Eagle
04-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Dangerous game to play.

You pick your strongest team for every game, injuries and fitness permitting - otherwise you're asking for some comeuppance.

Correct.

Better to take someone off after 60 mins when you are crusiing than try and chase a result with your best coming off the bench.

There will be no easy games, just some that prove to be less hard.

Tom's Old Man
04-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Ditto. Every time, with emphasis on the word every.

Cleon
04-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Based on the current squad, I'd hope to start with:

GK-Kiraly
RB-Boyce
CB-Hall
CB-Ward
LB-Granville
RM-McAnuff
CM-Watson
CM-Hughes
LM-Kolkka
ST-Johnson
ST-Macken

Subs: Speroni, Freedman, Soares, Leigertwood, Popovic

Mr Palace
04-07-2005, 02:08 PM
If Liegertwood gets in the side over Watson or Aki I'd be distraught. I think he's possibly one of the worst players I've seen at Palace. His touch and passing are atrocious and he's no threat going forward. He's a destroyer but not a particularly good one. if he's going to make it anywhere it will be as a central defender.

Soares is definitely not a left-sided midfielder either and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if he starts the season there.

Eagle123
04-07-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm with you. Watson over Leigertwood every single time. As long as he doesnt try and get a piggy back off an opposing attacker on the edge of our box at a crucail point of any games though eh? ;)

Beanie
04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Based on the current squad, I'd hope to start with:

GK-Kiraly
RB-Boyce
CB-Hall
CB-Ward
LB-Granville
RM-McAnuff
CM-Watson
CM-Hughes
LM-Kolkka
ST-Johnson
ST-Macken

Subs: Speroni, Freedman, Soares, Leigertwood, Popovic
Not bad - but I'd be inclined to have Toghelle on the bench instead Popovic. Boyce can cover at CB and Leigertwood at either in case of injury and it gives a more attacking bench.

cpfc_spc1982
04-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Mr Palace
If Liegertwood gets in the side over Watson or Aki I'd be distraught. I think he's possibly one of the worst players I've seen at Palace. His touch and passing are atrocious and he's no threat going forward. He's a destroyer but not a particularly good one. if he's going to make it anywhere it will be as a central defender.

Soares is definitely not a left-sided midfielder either and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if he starts the season there.

leigertwood is the only holding midfielder or make shift one at the club though.

PalaceFan in Alabama
04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Be prepared to see a lot of the following players:

Andrews, Soares, and Leigertwood. ID believes everyone of these players gives 110% and that Watson and Kolkka lack commitment. Has a couple of young players that should make it into the squad. Expects that a few more players will move on and they are still looking to bring some players in and will look at a couple of players during the July games.

Source: the coach of a University Womens team spent sometime looking at players and got to speak with both of the Dowies. FYI, he (the coach) is a Palace supporter.

PalaceMonkey
04-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Aki's a holding mid isn't he?

kestoneagle
04-07-2005, 03:08 PM
My team would be:

Kiraly,
Granville,
Ward,
Hall,
Boyce,
Soares,
Aki,
Hughes,
McAnuff,
Torgelle,
AJ

Subs: Borrowdale (can also cover as emergency keeper), Watson, Butterfield, Macken and Freedman.

Away Day Eagle
04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by kestoneagle
My team would be:

Kiraly,
Granville,
Ward,
Hall,
Boyce,
Soares,
Aki,
Hughes,
McAnuff,
Torgelle,
AJ

Subs: Borrowdale (can also cover as emergency keeper), Watson, Butterfield, Macken and Freedman.

I take it your're not too keen on Speroni then ?

kestoneagle
04-07-2005, 03:20 PM
He's OK but I just don't think I'd choose a spare keeper using up a valuable place on the bench if Borrowdale is as useful between the sticks as was mentioned a while back. I'd rather have more options upfield. Clearly this strategy could come back to bite me if Gabor went off "early doors".

Away Day Eagle
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by kestoneagle
He's OK but I just don't think I'd choose a spare keeper using up a valuable place on the bench if Borrowdale is as useful between the sticks as was mentioned a while back. I'd rather have more options upfield. Clearly this strategy could come back to bite me if Gabor went off "early doors".

Well after Powell going up front against Charlton in the last five minutes and leaving strikers on the bench, nothing next season would surprise me.

I hear what you're saying about leaving Speroni off the bench. I t is sorely tempting given Gabor's injury-free record. But knowing our luck as soon as that happens something will go horribly wrong.

limited_edition
04-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
Be prepared to see a lot of the following players:

Andrews, Soares, and Leigertwood. ID believes everyone of these players gives 110% and that Watson and Kolkka lack commitment. Has a couple of young players that should make it into the squad. Expects that a few more players will move on and they are still looking to bring some players in and will look at a couple of players during the July games.

Source: the coach of a University Womens team spent sometime looking at players and got to speak with both of the Dowies. FYI, he (the coach) is a Palace supporter. Neil McDonald, a man with coaching badges coming out of his ears, will talk Dowie round to accepting good tactics over players with commitment and zero talent. Here's hoping anyway. Soares is a good talent if used in the right position.

Palaceboy222
04-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Kiraly,

Boyce
Hall
Ward
Granville

McAnuff
Aki
Hughes/Watson
New winger (soares if no1 arrives)

AJ
Macken/Torghelle

Subs:

Speroni
Butterfield/Liegertwood
Watson/Hughes
Freedman
Macken/Torghelle

Jay_Palace
04-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Neil McDonald, a man with coaching badges coming out of his ears, will talk Dowie round to accepting good tactics over players with commitment and zero talent. Here's hoping anyway. Soares is a good talent if used in the right position.

As we said on an earlier thread, Dowie and Kit's lack of tactical awareness undoubtably hindered our chances last season, and as you say, hopefully McDonald will instill some tactical awareness into Dowie.

We will go nowhere if we continue to choose players who lack talent and ability, but compensate for this with grit and determination.

If we fail to use the undoubted talents of Kolkka and Watson for a "lack" of heart and soul then it will be negligent of Dowie in the extreme.

limited_edition
04-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
We will go nowhere if we continue to choose players who lack talent and ability, but compensate for this with grit and determination.

If we fail to use the undoubted talents of Kolkka and Watson for a "lack" of heart and soul then it will be negligent of Dowie in the extreme. Absolutely. We can't fall into the trap of thinking just because we are in a lower league now, committed players are all we need to succeed. Think Dowie rates Watson as he was brought in for the Charlton game and was on the bench for the Stains. Not sure about Kolkka to be honest. Sadly, I expect him to be sold.

Back on the subject of committed players, Aki's as committed as they come, yet technically he improved his game beyond recognition last year. I hope he isn't feeling disillusioned about losing his first team place. I would really hate to lose him. :(

kolinkins
04-07-2005, 05:29 PM

With Hughes in midfield, Leggy is a better option - someone has to win the ball!

kolinkins
04-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Absolutely. We can't fall into the trap of thinking just because we are in a lower league now, committed players are all we need to succeed. Think Dowie rates Watson as he was brought in for the Charlton game and was on the bench for the Stains. Not sure about Kolkka to be honest. Sadly, I expect him to be sold.

Back on the subject of committed players, Aki's as committed as they come, yet technically he improved his game beyond recognition last year. I hope he isn't feeling disillusioned about losing his first team place. I would really hate to lose him. :(

Did we get out of this division with flair, or with hard work, determination and commitment?

adrenalin john
04-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Did we get out of this division with flair, or with hard work, determination and commitment?

We got out of this division with fitness and comittment, but alongside 2 exceptionally good wingers and a 30 goal striker whose pace and movement stretched Championship back 4's to breaking point.

We have lost both of those wingers. Koolka has never convinced for me. Soares is a central mid and I don't know Anuff about Mc.

limited_edition
04-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Did we get out of this division with flair, or with hard work, determination and commitment? But Aki is hard working. His passing has come on a lot last season, too. He tracks back defensively much better than Leggy, plus he doesn't give away idiotic free kicks ! As for Andrews on the bench, he hasn't even got a decent goalscoring record at Oldham and Colchester, which leads me to think he'll be out of his depth in the Championship. If we don't learn from our mistakes last season, we'll end up repeating them and won't get out of this division in a hurry.

nick lombardo
04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
kolkka will go

kolinkins
04-07-2005, 06:10 PM
But Aki is hard working. His passing has come on a lot last season, too. He tracks back defensively much better than Leggy, plus he doesn't give away idiotic free kicks ! As for Andrews on the bench, he hasn't even got a decent goalscoring record at Oldham and Colchester, which leads me to think he'll be out of his depth in the Championship. If we don't learn from our mistakes last season, we'll end up repeating them and won't get out of this division in a hurry.

Aki is one of my fave players, and would be the first name on my teamsheet. I put the team I think Dowie will put out, not always the same as the one I want to put out.

rambo
04-07-2005, 09:52 PM
I dont understand why Aki fell out of favour. He seems precisely the sort of player - commitment in spades - that Dowie likes, and has a fair degree of skill too. Cant really see him getting above his station with ID either, so what went wrong?

Away Day Eagle
05-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by rambo
I dont understand why Aki fell out of favour. He seems precisely the sort of player - commitment in spades - that Dowie likes, and has a fair degree of skill too. Cant really see him getting above his station with ID either, so what went wrong?

I'd also like an insight into this issue.

cpfc_spc1982
05-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by rambo

aki couldnt last a whole game.
he also doesnt have the ability to control a game like hughes can in my opinion. it should be a straight pick between hughes , aki , watson , soares , danze for attacking (box to box) central midfielder next year. in my opinion only hughes and potentially watson have the ability to control a game.
if it was a straight pick between aki and leigertwood for holding midfielder as much as i think leigertwood is a liability he wins everytime as aki doesnt have the discipline (positional) for this role. not that leigertwood does either but he has it more than aki. a holding midfielder would be on my shopping list.