PDA

View Full Version : Centenary DVD Premiere

SinoEagle
05-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Just got a pair of free tickets for the premiere through the post, its on the 28th. I myself cannot make it as i will be out of the country, so if there is anyone who is interested in the pair of them drop me a line and you are welcome to them.

Dorking .Eagle
05-07-2005, 10:19 AM
I specifically ordered the DVD online (paying £5.50 postage on top of the already expensive price) purely to be in with a chance of winning a pair of tickets to the Premiere.

I haven't had anything through the post saying I've won a pair :(
so if I don't get lucky, I'd be delighted to have them, and you can be sure I'd glean maximum enjoyment from the screening :) :)

Can we give it a day or three to see if I get lucky (for the tickets I mean) first, before I commit to taking yours? Ta.

SinoEagle
05-07-2005, 11:17 AM
sounds like a sensible plan D.E, but you now have first refusal on them, its only fair.

Dorking .Eagle
05-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks Sino.

gongle
05-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by SinoEagle
sounds like a sensible plan D.E, but you now have first refusal on them, its only fair.

Didn't you see my PM then?

:sob:

Oddjob
05-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
I specifically ordered the DVD online (paying £5.50 postage on top of the already expensive price)

really says it all doesnt it when play.com can deliver anything in stock for nowt.

Dorking .Eagle
05-07-2005, 11:41 AM
It's nothing new- people on ebay have been making extra profit via fixed "p & p charges" for ages.

Oddjob
05-07-2005, 12:21 PM
It's nothing new- people on ebay have been making extra profit via fixed "p & p charges" for ages.

tell me about it, bought the england one day cricket shirt with flintoff off the back for £26 on ebay - thought this was a good deal

guy wants £6 p + p - for a fecking shirt he is going to send 1st class !!

Beanie
05-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Oddjob
really says it all doesnt it when play.com can deliver anything in stock for nowt.
All they do is up the price by the cost of postage. The reason the unit cost is so low is due to the vast numbers they shift. Something tells me play.com will make enough on the Stars Wars III DVD when it arrives to subsides the postage on poorer sellers for years. Can't see the Palace DVD selling like that - although £5.50 is a bit steep.

Dorking .Eagle
05-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Just got home to a letter from CPFC enclosing 2 tickets to the Premiere, so won't need to accept the tickets after all SinoEagle.
Looks like they're Gongle's!

c_block_lad
05-07-2005, 08:38 PM
tell me about it, bought the england one day cricket shirt with flintoff off the back for £26 on ebay - thought this was a good deal

Certain Asda's which sale George clothing (Not all of them) sale the Admiral one day shirts for 30 notes.

ammiller
05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Can I have them please?

arussell
05-07-2005, 11:37 PM
I think they're hoping for a hassle free non-drunkards premier Aidan :eek:

ammiller
05-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Shouldn't you be on Research Lane young man?

SinoEagle
06-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Case closed

the tickets have gone to gonegle. Sorry ammiller, but if i get another freebee from cpfc that i dont want, you get first refusal next time(maybe):o

arussell
06-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by ammiller
Shouldn't you be on Research Lane young man?

:D

stupalace
08-07-2005, 06:56 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All they do is up the price by the cost of postage. The reason the unit cost is so low is due to the vast numbers they shift. Something tells me play.com will make enough on the Stars Wars III DVD when it arrives to subsides the postage on poorer sellers for years. Can't see the Palace DVD selling like that - although £5.50 is a bit steep.

play.com are based in jersey so they dont pay any vat thats why the prices are so low

PhilD
08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Bump - I got sent a pair of tickets for the DVD screening, but I'll be on holiday then so if anyone wants them feel free to PM me.

Oddjob
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM

Just to update this though I know it is not thread related

shirt came SECOND class for £1.50 in brown paper wrapping, he charged £6 !!!

Suetext
08-07-2005, 11:36 AM
So tell ebay about it and leave bad feedback.

ricks-big-honda
08-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I do charge normally £5 for delivery but that's because the shirts normally sell for over £30 and normal post insurance only goes to £28.
The shirts are sent next day pre 1pm insured special post.

I also charge for paypal as I also get charged this.

My view of this is different from most I know but if I want a certain item and I have to pay high postage and paypal then I have the choice.

To charge £6 for what cost them £1.50 is criminal and is theft, but by bidding on the item you have commited to pay the postage. This is totally unfair and you should report them.

The majority of post I send normally comes to more than the charge but since packaging is so cheap there's no real loss.

Oddjob
08-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Th thing is, he hasnt left feedback for me, so I if leave a bad one he will no doubt do the same

i know its silly but I have 100% feedback and want it to stay that way!

Jordy's palace
14-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Does anyone know what the deal is with this. Are tickets being sold to all Palace fans and what is the program on the night?
Thx:p

arussell
14-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Tickets aren't being sold.

Only way to get one is to pre-order the DVD and be entered into a draw.

On the night, the DVD main documentary (which is longer than originally planned :) ) will be screened.

GOD
14-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm going, will we get fizzy drinks and popcorn?

Beanie
14-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Tickets aren't being sold.

Only way to get one is to pre-order the DVD and be entered into a draw.

On the night, the DVD main documentary (which is longer than originally planned :) ) will be screened.
Do you know if it is going be to just like the pictures (do we get Pearl & Dean?? :D), or is there any more to the programme? Trying to work out time home due to young companion.

Dorking .Eagle
14-07-2005, 01:04 PM
I think everyone who pre-ordered "won" the tickets - because they are still advertising the dvd for purchase as a pre-order, with the lure that some tickets remain.
Which considering there were only 500 pairs of tickets to be won, shows that the pre-orders must be under 500.
I guess the postage fee on top of a cover price of £29.99 was a bit much. When eagle gold upgradees get their club shop vouchers, then they should shift a fair few more.

stupalace
15-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Just to update this though I know it is not thread related

shirt came SECOND class for £1.50 in brown paper wrapping, he charged £6 !!!

unfortunately there aint a great deal you can do as the seller would say he charged you £1.50 for stamps , £2 for the wrapping and £2.50 for packing .

ebay is a money making goldmine and the owners ebay themselves make thousands if not hundred of thousands through paypal every day .

Mighty Eagle
22-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Probably a thread on this already? Anyone on here going? I go two complimentary tickets in the post.

cpfcinprem
22-07-2005, 12:58 PM
you dont want to give them to me do you?!

Mighty Eagle
22-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by cpfcinprem
you dont want to give them to me do you?!

Sorry no! I assumed loads of people got them? Season ticket holders etc........?

Dorking .Eagle
22-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Mighty Eagle
I assumed loads of people got them? Season ticket holders etc........?

There are a max of 500 pairs of tickets and the only way to get them is to win them by pre-ordering the dvd online.

There is supposed to be a compo in the Advertiser too, perhaps in todays edition?

lightweight
22-07-2005, 10:04 PM
There are a max of 500 pairs of tickets and the only way to get them is to win them by pre-ordering the dvd online.

given by the speed in which I received my "prize" tickets after ordering DVD - I think that if anyone wants to go to this it's worth trying ordering the DVD & you might just be lucky!!

Dorking .Eagle
28-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm seriously looking forward to this tonight, and it is going to be one of the highlights of the Centenary for me (apart from beating the scum 5-0 again)

Wonder how many old players will be in attendance - probably all those interviewed will be invited to attend - expect David Payne, and some of the more regular faces from Selhurst

stupalace
28-07-2005, 11:47 AM
can we have a full review on here tomorrow please Mr Dorking Eagle .

Dorking .Eagle
28-07-2005, 11:59 AM
No probs - on both the evening and on the dvd!
7pm start is a bit of a bummer though - there will be a lot of late arrivals and no-shows methinks

stupalace
28-07-2005, 12:00 PM
i havnt ordered the dvd as yet , but will do when its out

JUST RANG THE CLUB TO ORDER IT OVER THE PHONE , I HAVE TO DO IT THROUGH THE INTERNET OR WAIT UNTIL SATURDAY WHEN THEY CAN TAKE ORDERS OVER THE PHONE .

BUNCH OFF ARSE
:veryangry

Pinkie Brown
28-07-2005, 02:25 PM
I have one (maybe two) tickets for tonight at the Centenary DVD premiere, PM me if you want one.

DaveCPFC4Life
28-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Just got back. DVD is excellent, a must have for all Palace fans. What a Great Night.

Rob Fox
28-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by DaveCPFC4Life
Just got back. DVD is excellent, a must have for all Palace fans. What a Great Night.

I had an invite but was unable to attend........tell us more!!!

Snorwood Eagle
28-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Fantastic night.

Lots of ex-players introduced prior to the screening, plus AJ, Dougie, Gabor, and the Management staff from the current squad.

The DVD was nothing short of superb in production and content and is definitely worth the asking price - 2 and a half hours worth of Palace memories! Apparently there is also a 2 hour Bonus DVD bundled in as well, which I would imagine will be very good also.

Great interviews, very insightful - Coppell, Bright & Wright, Venables, Goldberg, Attilio, plus some long-serving fans and players from 60s and 70s with some great stories.

Wasn't Don Rogers an absolute wonder! I wish I had been able to see him play - Peter Taylor also! Some great history from the early days of the club also.

All in all, a great evening - credit must go to the Club for putting an event like this on. Huge thanks must go to the film-makers for making something Palace fans can be proud of, instead of the half-baked efforts we're normally used to!

Special mention to Johnny Salad who was still there after the screening, buying merchandise at the stall, and signing endless autographs - a true Palace great.

Btw, the Centenary Book was out to buy (as was the DVD) tonight and looked great.

Rob Fox
28-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Nice one Snorwood!!

lightweight
28-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Thought the evening was well organised and the DVD will be well worth the money to buy. Particularly like Attillio's comments about not wanting to leave the club as he'd fallen in love with it! What came over throughout was the great relationship a lot of these players (& staff) have with the club.

Good humour in it too. Lots of info on history & games from years back. Only down side I might make is that it seemed to skip over much of the recent seasons with a lot of chat from Goldberg/Noades etc. But overall a good production.

TommyEagle
28-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Both the book and the DVD are a credit to the club. We keep being told the DVD was a 'labour of love' by those who made it, and it certainly came across that way. Highlights were the Wright/Bright contributions, and the brutal-straight talking from Jimmy Cannon - fantastic!

No efforts were made to gloss over the less savoury chapters in our history, and fair play to those such as Goldberg & El Tel for coming on and having their say. Most of us won't believe half of what they said but I think the production was better for having their contributions on there.

The evening was well organised and presented (shock horror), although it was stiflingly hot in the concert hall! Good selection of past and current players in attendance.

One interesting point - about 20 mins-half hour into the production, some vintage fans were waxing lyrical about what a blow it was for the club and supporters to lose Jonny Byrne to West Ham. They were saying how superior he was to the rest of the team and how he was a hero to the fans. Ultimately he wanted to leave for bigger and better things but the supporters felt slightly betrayed. Now I was sitting near the back so I didn't have the best view, but I swear someone who looked very like AJ (and sitting very near where he was sitting) got up and left at exactly this point.

Is there any significance in this or am I reading far too much into it? Maybe someone who was sitting nearer to the players can confirm it was actually AJ that left?

Dorking .Eagle
28-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Amazing DVD, great night, simple advice - BUY IT - it is surely the MUST HAVE Centenary product!

I arrived quite late, at 10 to 7.00, with the event starting at 7.00, so not much time to look around, but Palace HAD laid out a red carpet at the entrance, and just inside it, loads of autograph hunters were waiting. The reception area was very nicely decorated with a professional red and blue balloon display, and there was a mini Club Shop set up too, selling the DVD, the new Centenary book (didn't get a look at it - sorry!, Centenary shirts and some other merchandise.

It started fairly prompt at 7.00, and David Jensen welcomed us all and gave a short intro. He let the producer and director take a bow as well as the narrator, Kevin Day.

Then he introduced all the ex-players who were in attendance, those I remember were David Payne, Vic Rouse, Paul Hinshelwood, Phil Barber, Salako and Jim Cannon, but there were others too. Also in attendance were Kiraly, Dowie, AJ and Kit Symons.

Then they played the main DVD, which must have been over 3 hours long (but they gave us a 20 min interval)

Have to say it was almost flawless, and any criticisms I make below are pathetic nit-picking, it really was that good.

If you don't want to spoil you first viewing of the DVD then don't read on - I don't want to spoil it for you. If you want to read a review first, then read on.

The early years were covered well with lots of pictures, and diagrams of league tables etc, photos of players etc.

There was a good amount of humour throughout, helped by the funny commentary by Kevin Day - it reminded me of the old Eagle Eye humour - if things are going well, failure is not far away!

Some great Pathe footage of early pre- WW11 games, and pre 70's there was loads of old cine film from private collections, which really was amazing footage.

Even some old footage from the manager of the early 1960's (Rowe?) talking about the Real Madrid game.

The 60's and 70's were lovingly covered, with all the best players featured, particularly Peter Taylor and on Rogers, and Mal Allison had a fair bit of coverage.
The 76 cup run was excellently covered, there was some incredibly rare footage of Wrexham 77 (promotion game), and the last few games of 79.
Venables did quite a lot of interviews, as did the players of the day, Bobby Kellard looked drunk (as usual), and all in all it was well covered.

The 80's, 90's and present times were in the second half, and with a wealth of footage available of which we are all familiar, they would never please everyone - of course it has to be remembered that there is a limit to how long the dvd could be. Noades was on it quite a bit, and Neil te Eagle featured, talking about the Dons merger, and the failed bid to reach the playoffs in '88. (shame they never showed the dog on the pitch against Blackburn!)

I was suprised how little they showed of the 93=94 Championship season, and suprised there was no interview with Alan Smith on the DVD at all.

95/6 and 96/7 both seemed to be quite condensed too, perhaps the footage was expensive, poor quality or unobtainable, but coverage of both seasons seemed to revolve around the play offs.

Lombardo was interviewed and said some nice stuff (in Italian, with subtitles), but most interesting was coverage of the financial mess 1998-2000........interviews with Gooldberg, Noades and Venables were cut together to tell the story in their words. Goldberg did annoy me saying that people don't blame him nowadays, but can see that it is common in football, and that we were the first of many clubs to have those problems - errrrr sorry Mark, most people do think you fu**ed up Palace!

Then it was onto the new Millenium, staying up at Stockport, and Bruce got some flak from Jordan for shafting us and going to Birrmingham mid-season, we then were treated to the familiar sight of beating Br*ghton 5-0, Liverpool 2-0, Dowie's reign, the play=offs, and a little bit of coverage of the end of last season.

It ended with SJ making a determined statment about how much he wanted success at Palace.

My only tiny criticism was that throughout the DVD, whenever they showed the goals from key games, they showed all the goals in the game, eg in the 4-3 over Millwall ('89) you see all 7 goals - quite correct IMO as it puts our 4 goals in context. However near the end of the DVD, they showed the Play off semis versus Sunderland and whilst showing all the first leg goals, for the second leg it cut straight to Darren Powell's last gasp leveller, without showing Sunderlands two. Didn't quite tell the whole story. Similarly when showing Hopkin curling it in in the Play off final, it was never mentioned that it was the last minute, and the irony between that, and what had happened to us the previous year (Claridge)

However those are two tiny nit-picks from over 3 hours of amazing output (and apparently there is a seconf disc over 2 hrs long of bonus footage!)

BTW AJ did get up and leave just after the DVD had shown supporters talking about what a blow it was when Johnny Byrne left the club and how it was as bad as when Wrighty left, and that this always seems to happen at Palace. I think AJ got the message about how all our stars seem to leave us, and how it pisses us off sometimes.

Boyandy
28-07-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree that the DVD was very well put together - and that was without viewing the bonus disc! All the major goals are there although I'd agree it seemed to go through the last couple of years rather quickly. I presume only a couple of goals were used from last year because they haven't released the season review yet!

DaveCPFC4Life
28-07-2005, 10:59 PM
As a 23 year old Palace fan I found the DVD most insightful. The highs and the lows are covered in great detail and I cant wait to see whats included on the bonus DVD. The absence of messers Kember and Coppell tonight was a disapointment, though my Dad was over the moon he got to talk to Peter Burridge and Alan Stephenson about Palaces 3-1 FA Cup win over Forest in 63 in the sleet.
Special mention as well for Dougie Freedman. He twice told security, who were trying to move him through the crowds not to worry, as he intended to sign all the autographs asked of him and proceded to do so. A true Palace legend. Congratulations to the Croydon Advertiser for organising such a great event, as I m sure if CPFC had been left in charge it would never have even happened.

Rob Fox
28-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by DaveCPFC4Life
..... as I m sure if CPFC had been left in charge it would never have even happened.

......a bit harsh methinks!!!

DaveCPFC4Life
28-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Rob Fox
......a bit harsh methinks!!!

you know what I mean. i think its just because I m so happy and suprised at what a great DVD and evening it was!
BTW It was a great sight to see Hinchelwood, Stephenson, Rouse and Payne sitting in a row eating ice cream out of little pots with wooden spoons! :lux:

arussell
29-07-2005, 12:25 AM
There was an amusing tale about Jim Cannon when he was interviewed as well. :D

And Bobby K indeed had downed a lager or two when he was interviewed (but was great value for money and a little nervous at the time) and was moved up the order at the time in case he downed any more :)

Bobby wants to write a book about his time at Palace, which could be interesting, although I've not heard anything from him since then about it. I'm still trying to persuade Jim Cannon to put pen to paper about his Palace days !

What was great was the genuine warmth that all the players had about the club and how happy they were to take part, and this continued off camera when they were being chatted too after the interviews had been done.

Great that people love it already, Alan Ryan put a tremendous about of work into it all, and I guarantee no-one will be disappointed with the second disc when they see it.

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 06:50 AM
A couple of other highlights for me - a sweeping view of what looked like 40,000+ at Selhurst for the home game against Man United in '69, taken from I guess the roof of the bogs at the top of the Whitehorse.

The colour footage of early 60's games at Selhurst, including somone's cine film of Whitehorse Lane, the turnstiles and Vic Rouse etc.

Jim Cannon being quite honest and admitting he thumped Wrighty in training!

Overall the humerous commentary of Kevin Day really helped, because I can image how little footage there was of Palace to work with Pre-1969, so they had to use it all, even when there was a commentary so biased it was funny, or simply footage of us getting beat in the snow at Huddersfield - these clips got lots of laughs, as well as the humour when we "got revenge" (!) over Huddersfield in the 1990 Cup.

Think most people will buy it for the first half - stuff the haven't seen before, stories they haven't heard and old players they want to hear interviewed. The difficult bit is doing the last 25 years justice, because most of us have got shelves of season reviews, and all the goals and cup finals on tape.

The recent years stuff did assume a little bit of prior knowledge of what you were watching, for example they covered when John Salako made his first game back after a year out injured, and scored a hat-trick against Stoke, but they never explained that fact that he was in the England team at the peak of his game, and was out for a year prior to the comeback.

Similarly the coverage of 2004 didn't mention how we sneaked 6th place thanks to the Brian Deane goal up at Wigan despite us throwing it away at Coventry, and the 2005 relegation coverage never had the narrator explaining that we needed to win against Charlton to stay up, and how late their equaliser was that denied us.

I'm sure others may find little bits like those above, but I guess if everything was in there, It's be 6 hours long!

It truly is an amazing piece of work, lovingly crafted, and I think as Palace fans, our initial doubts that the club wouldn't do this Centenary justice are proving unfounded, because regardless of how it has come about, that was one heck of a show, and I can't think it could have been done any better by anyone.

Can't wait to get my hands on the book now!

arussell
29-07-2005, 08:10 AM
I think you'll find that certain aspects of recent years were left out, simply because there wasn't time to fit it all in.

The general consensus seemed to be that everyone wanted "old stuff" put in, and as much as possible. As you say Dave, most people that are interested already have all the videos, TV recordings etc of games that came from the late 80's onwards, and I think everyone will be happy with what's on the second disc.

Likewise there were a handful of people that didn't get interviewed simply because there were literally HOURS of footage that had been shot (and in some cases, not used).

The original documentary project was supposed to be only 2 hours, but ended up being 3 simply because of the amount of material there was.

Luckily, Palace were ok with approving this.

Wait for the limited edition box set in widescreen with four discs worth of extras, for all the bits that weren't there ;)

La Bombonera
29-07-2005, 08:16 AM
marvellous fayre!:p

A thoroughly enjoyable night. Missed the first 15 minutes of the screening thanks to Thameslink but caught up with that at home having purchased both the DVD and the book.

I can't fault the DVD in any way; both the viewing content and packaging are a very professional effort. It's informative, lighthearted (thanks in part to Kevin Day's narration) and packed full of footage. To see it on the 'big-screen' was tremendous with the 'demonic' potrayal of Mullery's jowls bringing the house down! The inclusion of Messrs Goldberg and Vegetables give it a 'warts and all' feel. For all the criticism of the club and it's (mis)merchandising this is one item that will make every purchasing Palace fan proud.

The book is better than first appears and contains some excellent articles and photographs.

I bought both ... proud I did ... and am proud of Palace for a great night :p

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Quite understand Alan, and and more than happy with having the like of Man City (11-4) Huddersfield in the snow, Scarboro in the Cup, Wrexham promotion, Walthamstow Avenue, Leeds '65 film footage about Real Madrid's visit etc - that is worth the money alone.
Was really chuffed Venables talked about all the relevant stuff, and didn't mind talking even about Goldberg "signing" him - especially as it was all the subject of Court cases.
Obviously each of the key players has their own view of history - Noades though it was quite funny how many times Goldberg failed to meet payment deadlines (albeit he lent him £5m), Goldberg (who seemed to be choking on his words at times) seemed to think that fans don't seem to blame him anymore and can see that it is a problem with all clubs coming out of the Premiership, Ron apparently had no idea that Mullery was so despised!!!
Absolutely stunning peice of work TBH, and pleny of laughs along the way - with Kevin Day injecting just the right amount of "Eagle Eye" gallows humour, without taking the piss out of the club.
Brilliant

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Alan - BTW any idea as to why the Palace v Fulham 1969 game never made it onto the DVD? (I thought that at one point this was looking like a possibility as cine footage had been found.)

I was also slightly suprised that the 1971 home game against Inter Milan wasn't featured, because when it appeared on the screens on Wednesday, I assumed (wrongly) that this must have been unearthed during the film-making process, and was going to feature at some point.

It might be more than worth their while if the club could put that game from 1971 out on DVD as they have it - sure it would sell plenty of copies.

stupalace
29-07-2005, 09:19 AM
I think any success of this dvd will have to make the club think about doing other dvd collections . Peope have been crying out for this for ages :sob: :S: hopefully this will make them see sense

Del Gland
29-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Latecomer alert!!

I heard on Wednesday that the DVD will be available today. Is this true and does anyone know where I can get it?

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Tried the club shop???:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Tony
29-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Will the DVD and book be available via the club shop only or will we be able to find copies in book shops and the likes of HMV?

stupalace
29-07-2005, 09:49 AM
To maxamise the sales potential of this , no doubt it is only available through the club shop

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 09:50 AM
To maximise the profit to the club per unit more like.

Del Gland
29-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Tried the club shop???:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

I knew this would happen - doh!

On the Palace site you can order them and they will be sent out in the first week of August. But yto repeat myself I heard that they will be in on Friday...can anyone confirm this to save me missing a drinking session at lunchtime on a wasted trip? :p

arussell
29-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Couple of answers.

I believe the book and DVD will only be available through the club.

I'm not aware of any Fulham cine film footage from 1969 Dave. Did the person come forward with it ?

No TV footage exists from that match.

If you think anything might be missing, check out the second disc first ;)

Neil the Eagle
29-07-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm not aware of any Fulham cine film footage from 1969 Dave. Did the person come forward with it ?

It does exist, I've seen it. Don Madgwick was aware of it so I can see no reason why Alan R. didn't know about it.

Sadly the quality was awful so I'm guessing it was unusable.

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 10:24 AM
In answer to ARussell, I can concur with Neil that cine film of Fulham 69 does exist - Don Madgwick mentioned at one of the first CPfCP meetings that he had been contacted by someone with the footage.
Also I remember reading in an old player interview in a programme or club publciation of the time, that one of the players was proud that they had a cine projector at home (at the time the equivalent of being one of the few with a video recorder when they were new) and that one of his favourite films was the Fulham game.

Moving on...

Originally posted by Del Gland

I heard that they will be in on Friday...can anyone confirm this

why not ring and ask the Club shop yourself if you need to know so badly! :bash: :bash: :bash:if you can use the internet, surely you can also use the phone and ask them yourself???(there were piles of Centenary DVD's for sale last night so they could well be on sale today in the club shop (they certainly will be on Saturday)

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 10:42 AM
BTW - I was suprised at the good film quality of some of the footage - for example the '76 Semi Final was very grainy when they showed it on the BBC series "Match of the Seventies" (presented by Dennis Waterman) but was perfect on the DVD.

Del Gland
29-07-2005, 11:00 AM

why not ring and ask the Club shop yourself if you need to know so badly! :bash: :bash: :bash:if you can use the internet, surely you can also use the phone and ask them yourself???(there were piles of Centenary DVD's for sale last night so they could well be on sale today in the club shop (they certainly will be on Saturday)

Maybe I will

Go :bash: :bash: :bash: yourself Mr Customer Service:D

Del Gland
29-07-2005, 11:04 AM
I just called the Club Shop and can confirm that Centenary DVD's will be readily available TOMORROW before the game!

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 11:08 AM
;)

Pinkie Brown
29-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Palace in quality, proffessional product shock! :o

Great night and a great DVD can't wait now to see the extra footage.
Credit where credits due I think! Good to see lots of old players and AJ, Gabor and Dougie too.

stupalace
29-07-2005, 11:44 AM
I hope this dvd is copy protected

BBD
29-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
It does exist, I've seen it. Don Madgwick was aware of it so I can see no reason why Alan R. didn't know about it.

Sadly the quality was awful so I'm guessing it was unusable.

Alan Ryan has taken the cine footage from two sources. One was his father's, Michael who was also interviewed very effectively and also another source which included the Fulham goals. These are great, but alas wouldn't quite have been up to the broadcasting standards necessary for this production.

Well done to Alan Ryan, Neil Duncanson and Kevin Day. It's a worthy contribution to the Centenary. As an overall outline, I think they've pretty cleverly kept the narration tight, humorous and reflected probably most Palace fans' own take of our History and the interviews are excellent. Good job lads.

arussell
29-07-2005, 12:03 PM
BTW - I was suprised at the good film quality of some of the footage - for example the '76 Semi Final was very grainy when they showed it on the BBC series "Match of the Seventies" (presented by Dennis Waterman) but was perfect on the DVD.

That's what comes from taking your masters direct from an archive source :)

Re: the Fulham game - now that you've mentioned it DE, that rings a bell. I do remember it coming up at some point. It's not the only cine footage that exists though.

Dorking .Eagle
29-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by stupalace
I hope this dvd is copy protected

Without wishing to get too worked up about it, anyone who sells or buys fake copies of this is, in my opinion complete scum. They are effectively stealing from the club, not to mention taking the wee wee when you consider all the time and money that has been invested.

Some tosser was selling a Palace DVD package on ebay which included a copy of the Kember testimonial DVD. Effectively that was stealing from Steve Kember, a loyal servant who gave his all to the club, and who deserved one last, richly deserved payout.

Why would anyone want a fake copy anyway? Surely it is something you'd want to keep and be proud of in it's official packaging - you wouldn't want to wear a fake replica shirt, so why would anyone do the same for a piece of club merchandise like this.

stupalace
29-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Its too easy these days to burn off a dvd , use a colour photocopier and flog these for a £10 .

Boyandy
29-07-2005, 12:39 PM
It's a shame the footage of the Real Madrid and Ipswich games isn't available - when the narrative moved to them (especially with the pre-match interview) I thought they'd been unearthed from somewhere!

Same Pardew wasn't interviewed about THAT goal but other than that heartily recommended.

stupalace
29-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I am 95% certain that there is footage from the real madrid game . about 4 years ago this came up on ebay i think

sfera
29-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I missed last night, but it sounds fabulous, and I can't wait to see the DVD. Big congratulations to all concerned, and thanks Dorking for the review.

arussell
29-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by stupalace
I am 95% certain that there is footage from the real madrid game . about 4 years ago this came up on ebay i think

To the best of my knowledge (and I've a fairly extensive list now from sorting through the archives etc ..) no such footage exists.

I'm fairly sure there were no TV cameras there that night and as there was a floodlight failure, there aren't really an extensive amount of photos either.

Terry Long was reminiscing when interviewed along the lines that he'd love to see it again.

super al
29-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi there.

I’d just like to say thanks to everyone who attended last night; it certainly made the efforts of all who contributed worthwhile.

I hope you all enjoyed the experience of watching the programme on “The Big Screen” as much as I did and a big thank you should go to the club for organising such a great night.

I’ve said all along that I felt it was important to make the history of our club an honest account as seen through the eyes off the supporters and I hope I’ve achieved this to good effect. I must say that the club have supported both myself and Neil Duncanson wholeheartedly and the efforts of Phil Alexander and Terry Byfield shouldn’t be underestimated.

There have also been many unsung heroes whose help was vital in making the DVD and I’d like to thank Peter Hurn, Ian King, Alan Russell and Ian Weller once again for their time, effort and stills collection!

Thanks for the feedback, by the way, if anyone wants to add their thoughts on the DVD please feel free; I’d appreciate your input.

Come on Palace!

Al Ryan

arussell
29-07-2005, 03:22 PM
When's the director's cut coming out Alan ? ;)

Neil the Eagle
29-07-2005, 03:40 PM
And is there an outakes reel from the interviews - I remember I couldn't stop ••••••• swearing...

cpfc_connection
29-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Absolutely fantastic!! I was a little surprised that there wasn't a mention of events such as Kember's testimonial or indeed simon rodger's tenure with the club. However, the DVD is a fantastic product, well done to everyone who was involved with it. :p

Gollum
30-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Fantastic night and a great DVD.
Thought the football coverage was excellent. Personally would have liked a little more off the field coverage; eg. more about the ground and developments over the years.
Met John Henty there and reflected a contribution from him would have been welcome. All trivial observations though...it's a great piece of work, clearly a laobur of love and very professionally put together. Thought the Mullery introduction was wonderful.

Just watched the Wright/Bright interview on the bonus DVD (which is part of the package). It's a fascinating insight. They discuss the problems with senior players when they arrived, citing Cannon and Wood as particularly difficult.
Ian puts the record straight about about several issues and apologises for kissing the Arsenal badge...'biggest mistake of his career'. They both reckoned the 89 promotion and Cup Final run as the highlights of their career. High praise for Coppell, Gray and others.
It's very good and lasts about an hour. Good to see Wrighty redressing the balance at last.

Dorking .Eagle
30-07-2005, 09:48 AM
The bonus is very good indeed. The top 20 goals as voted by the fans are about right, although there will be a little debate over what should and shouldn't have made the top 20 (you can't really argue as it was democratic!) I would have added Salako's 45 yard last minute lob in the Cup away against Forest, and Freedman's smasher against Wolves in the 97 Play Off Semi, (but quite hiilariously, at one point it looks like half the goals in the top 20 are against Wolves!!!!!)
Wouldn't have included McCormick's goal against Wolves or Peter Taylors shot against Chelsea (76)- in fact surely Taylor's free kick against Chelsea in 76 was a better goal???

Class product, and a very good selction of "bonus" match highlights too.

10/10

Boyandy
30-07-2005, 10:01 AM
Well done everyone concerned for putting together a great Centenary product. Hopefully it will sell well and the club will now see the benefit of releasing archive footage of matches as has already been discussed.

It still amazes me that they haven't looked into at least releasing a copy of the 4-3 - my video copy is really starting to show it's age now!

Beanie
30-07-2005, 10:01 AM
As an aside - isn't it amazing how we now seem assume that there "must have been" TV footage of certain games. Not a dig at anybody, just an observationof how Sky in particular have chnaged things. I was disappointed not to see any of the Fulham game - would have like to see the bit in the directors box as I was in the old Enclosure in front of the main (only at the time) stand and being about 3'6" at the time couldn't see too much.
Great DVD though - and a great evening, brought a frequent lump to the throat hearing about and seeing the great and not so great times three generations of the family witnessed before I was around to carry on the tradition.

Hedgehog
01-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Shame Kember was not there. Is he and Palace no longer on speaking terms? Anyone know?

Was Jordan there? Seems like the new "Mr. Palace" would have been all over this.

Sounds a gread DVD and have just put in for it for my half Centenary birthday present!

Dorking .Eagle
01-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Dominic Jordan was there, not Simon.

arussell
01-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Having now watched the finished article all the way through, I'm slightly surprised, but the Inter Anglo Italian footage isn't on it sadly :(

It was going to be included as far as I'm aware, so I can only assume time constraints preventned it. It was after all comissioned by the club as a 2 hour project originally.

Oddjob
01-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Have bought and watched the DVD and was pleasently surprised, Palace in non-shabby merchandise shocker!!!

Dorking .Eagle
01-08-2005, 08:41 AM
The Chelsea game on the bonus dvd is a truly great match - love the punch-ups, and the "Chelsea aggro" being shouted all the way through
shame they didn't show Jimmy Hill lambasting the hooligans post match (on MOTD) and the slow motion replays of the kung-fu kicks!!!

Justy C
07-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Bought this yesterday and I've got to say that it is absolutely superb. The documentary on our history is well done, the interviews are revealing and the bonus material is great. The extended Wright & Bright interview is a must see (I think that interview is over 40 minutes).

I'm going to get my brother a copy for his birthday and my Grandfather will love this so I've got his Christmas present sorted out in August!

Well done to everyone involved, its very rare for Palace to produce something this good.

Now, can Palace produce DVD versions of the 89 Play offs, a 1990 FA Cup DVD and 1997 Play offs? If they could be done as well as this I'm sure they'd on to a money spinner.

ammiller
08-08-2005, 12:27 PM
There was someone knocking out copies for £8 on Saturday...

Jack Regan
08-08-2005, 12:30 PM
There was someone knocking out copies for £8 on Saturday...

Who?

Dorking .Eagle
08-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Name and shame

super al
08-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I'd be interested to know as well..

Jack Regan
08-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Name and shame

I'm not too bothered about the 'shame' bit, but I'd like to know his name.

And how I can get in touch with him

Dorking .Eagle
08-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Coyright theft of this particular product is completely abhorrent.
I know £29.99 is a lot of money, but the work that went in to it justifies the price.

It's not just CPFC that would be most interested in who is ripping them off in this way, but I would have thought also the original copyright holders of the footage (BBC, Pathe not to mention the private footage) would be very interested in asserting their rights on this one.

Jack Regan
08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Coyright theft of this particular product is completely abhorrent.
I know £29.99 is a lot of money, but the work that went in to it justifies the price.

Here's a thought to throw the pigeon amongst the cats....

£29.99 for a DVD showing the history of Crystal Palace Football Club which by all accounts is getting rave reviews.

or

£39.99 for a nylon shirt for season 2005-06 which will be changed next seaon.

Which of these is value for money?

Dorking .Eagle
08-08-2005, 12:54 PM
or even 50 notes for the "Centenary" nylon shirt Jack (in other words £10 for the souvenir box it comes in)

Jack Regan
08-08-2005, 01:00 PM
or even 50 notes for the "Centenary" nylon shirt Jack (in other words £10 for the souvenir box it comes in)

Crikey!

I nearly choked on my sandwich DE...FIFTY POUNDS!

Still, I suppose if there's people willing to pay it, that's their funeral.

ammiller
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Jack Regan
I'm not too bothered about the 'shame' bit, but I'd like to know his name.

And how I can get in touch with him

Jack - check pms

RDSdaEAGLE
08-08-2005, 07:49 PM
I bought the DVD this weekend (the full price...not the copy!) and I have to say its a real must have for Palace fans.

Brilliant narration by Kevin Day, brilliant footage and one excellent continous story. The editing is exactly what I expected when Al came and talked about his concept all those months ago.

It was also interesting hearing Terry Venables speak about things, and also hearing Goldberg's attempts at justifying his massive cock-up.

The whole DVD actually made me feel quite proud, of the club and its magnificent history.

Brilliant work all round, and DEFINATELY worth the 29.99. Go and buy it...NOW!

giovannipollast
09-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Great DVD. And worth the money. I can't believe some asshole is trying to rip the club off by selling dogy copies though. What a tosser (not to mention the people who buy the copies).

Malakite
09-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
I bought the DVD this weekend (the full price...not the copy!) and I have to say its a real must have for Palace fans.

Brilliant narration by Kevin Day, brilliant footage and one excellent continous story. The editing is exactly what I expected when Al came and talked about his concept all those months ago.

It was also interesting hearing Terry Venables speak about things, and also hearing Goldberg's attempts at justifying his massive cock-up.

The whole DVD actually made me feel quite proud, of the club and its magnificent history.

Brilliant work all round, and DEFINATELY worth the 29.99. Go and buy it...NOW!

You on commission Rob? :D

What did El Tel say and did you end up feeling sorry for him?

RDSdaEAGLE
09-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Malakite
You on commission Rob? :D

What did El Tel say and did you end up feeling sorry for him?

Nah, not on comission. Just think everyone should have a copy, it really is that good.

Didn't feel sorry for Terry, he didn't seem too remorsefull. I think that both he and Terry have alot to answer for, but neither is really willing to accept responsibility.

Goldberg blamed the market at the time rather than his own stupidity, and Venables blamed Goldberg.

Webb
09-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Nah, not on comission. Just think everyone should have a copy, it really is that good.

Didn't feel sorry for Terry, he didn't seem too remorsefull. I think that both he and Terry have alot to answer for, but neither is really willing to accept responsibility.

Goldberg blamed the market at the time rather than his own stupidity, and Venables blamed Goldberg.

A very complimentary text towards the DVD you sent me on Sat night, Rob.:) I reckon you are on commision.....

£30 though!! I'm trying to save money at the mo.....but I'm still tempted.:)

gadford4th
09-08-2005, 10:37 AM
It's a great piece of work the dvd. My favourite thing on it is during the extended wright bright interview when they were talking about how they used to badger the opposition defenders.

"Alright Wrighty?"
"What the f*ck you talking to me for? F*ck off! I'm not here to talk!"

Al From Bromley
09-08-2005, 10:37 AM
From what I've watched so far, it's marvellous fayre. Did anyone else spot the error in the Allison era section though~? It showed the bottom of the table when we were relegated from Division Two dspite being favourites for promotion that year but the caption said that it was Division THREE final standings, which would have meant we'd gone down to Division Four, which of course we didnt. Particularly enjoyed seeing the goals from the 76 cup run again and also a game against Charlton where I'd been the lucky winner of Palace in the Past competitoin!

super al
09-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
From what I've watched so far, it's marvellous fayre. Did anyone else spot the error in the Allison era section though~? It showed the bottom of the table when we were relegated from Division Two dspite being favourites for promotion that year but the caption said that it was Division THREE final standings, which would have meant we'd gone down to Division Four, which of course we didnt. Particularly enjoyed seeing the goals from the 76 cup run again and also a game against Charlton where I'd been the lucky winner of Palace in the Past competitoin!

Al, thanks for the praise, I'm really glad the DVD's being enjoyed.

One question - Are you positive there's an error there? I've just looked at the graphic and it says Division2 (old) - That's correct, isn't it?

The next graphic shows us top of the old 3rd before Christmas and then finishing 5th in the old 3rd division when Malcolm left.

Al From Bromley
09-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Sorry Alan, my mistake. I wasnt paying enough attention. I just heard the "with two consecutive relegations" and didnt really take in the information in the table. Yes, it was the top not the bottom . Duh! Senility must be setting in. I said to my other half that it was the best thing that palace have ever produced. The footage of the seventies stuff brought bakc loads of memories. Maybe I was away in a cloud of nostaglia when I misread that bit!

super al
09-08-2005, 12:25 PM
No Probs Al - not that I'm in any way paranoid you understand and I certainly don't keep the master copy with me at all times just in case!

ammiller
15-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Two of my mates who bought the bootleg copy (scumbag tossers that they are) have told me that the quality is crap.

Axeman
15-08-2005, 07:16 PM
This DVD is absolutely top class. Put it in the machine at about 10pm intending to watch it for an hour or so but could not stop. watched both discs and predictably failed to get up for work this morning!
A MUST HAVE for any Palace fan.
Well done to the team that made this happen.

stupalace
16-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Two of my mates who bought the bootleg copy (scumbag tossers that they are) have told me that the quality is crap.

serves them right

super al
16-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know if the seller of the crap pirate copies of the Centenary DVD posts on here?

If he does I'd like to strongly advise him to remove any sales of unauthorized copies from EBay and to remind him of what he's doing, namely stealing off the football club we all support.

As consumer's it is of course up to you guy's which version you choose to buy.

1) £8 for a knock off version duplicated by some tosser who clearly just wants to earn money for doing nothing.

2) Or £30 for a programme which I and other Palace supporters worked bloody hard on in order to make a product we could all be proud of.

I know thirty quid might be a bit stiff for some and the thought of getting it on the cheap may appeal but I would ask that you save a bit of cash and buy the original.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone (who I understand claims to be Palace) can sell this sh*t outside the ground or on Ebay. I worked my fekin arse off to make something decent and the thought of some little prick earning money from my (and others) hard work pisses me off no end.

This isn’t some ex VHS copy of an old game copied on to disc and passed around – I can fully understand why people swap these gems (or even bid for them!).

This is the history of our Football Club ffs.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not naïve enough to believe that this wouldn’t happen; I just didn’t expect it to be in my face. The odd geezer in a boozer or on a market stall selling moody copies I can live with but near the ground? Or on EBay? Unbelievable!

If you know him, please ask him to stop, if you see him, please ignore him. He is a thief.

Neil the Eagle
16-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Well, I wouldn't be 'ignoring' him that's for sure...

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by super al
Does anyone know if the seller of the crap pirate copies of the Centenary DVD posts on here?

If he does I'd like to strongly advise him to remove any sales of unauthorized copies from EBay and to remind him of what he's doing, namely stealing off the football club we all support.

As consumer's it is of course up to you guy's which version you choose to buy.

1) £8 for a knock off version duplicated by some tosser who clearly just wants to earn money for doing nothing.

2) Or £30 for a programme which I and other Palace supporters worked bloody hard on in order to make a product we could all be proud of.

I know thirty quid might be a bit stiff for some and the thought of getting it on the cheap may appeal but I would ask that you save a bit of cash and buy the original.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone (who I understand claims to be Palace) can sell this sh*t outside the ground or on Ebay. I worked my fekin arse off to make something decent and the thought of some little prick earning money from my (and others) hard work pisses me off no end.

This isn’t some ex VHS copy of an old game copied on to disc and passed around – I can fully understand why people swap these gems (or even bid for them!).

This is the history of our Football Club ffs.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not naïve enough to believe that this wouldn’t happen; I just didn’t expect it to be in my face. The odd geezer in a boozer or on a market stall selling moody copies I can live with but near the ground? Or on EBay? Unbelievable!

If you know him, please ask him to stop, if you see him, please ignore him. He is a thief.

Well said Alan.

Totally scummy thing to do.

Dorking .Eagle
16-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Quite right Alan.
can't say I've seen it on ebay though (unless you suspect the person selling the copy of 12 minutes worth of Palace v Chelsea '76 got the footage from the Centenary disc) and I search for Palace memorabilia on ebay every day.

Dorking .Eagle
16-08-2005, 02:27 PM
BTW any sign of a season review dvd for last season yet?

super al
16-08-2005, 02:40 PM
BTW any sign of a season review dvd for last season yet?

No idea as yet Dorking Eagle, the club hasn't metioned anything to me about it - I'll make a few enquiries.

Dorking .Eagle
16-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Sorry to keep popping up - just seen the item on ebay. Couldn't find it because the seller is so thick they couldn't even spell "Centenary" properly!
Same seller is quite blatent about the other pirate copies they are selling. Wouldn't suprise me if it is some 14 year old with their first £90 DVD recorder knocking them out, totally unaware of the scale of legal weaponry that Jordan could throw at them if he felt like it.

Think the same seller offered "Steve Kember Testimonial" pirate DVD's in the past until the Testimonial committee threatened to sue.

Obviously hasn't learnt their lesson.

silver
16-08-2005, 08:29 PM
well said Alan

adil1984
17-08-2005, 06:02 AM
bought the dvd from the club shop along with all 4 shirts. my bank account aint looking to good now though lol

100% Palace
17-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Got this on Friday for a bargain £16 (thanks to club shop vouchers and teamcard - i'm not scummy!) and have to say that it is fantastic. Fair to say i'll be back to get another copy at full price around xmas time.

Highly recommended - and i haven't even had time to look at disc 2 yet!

Fountainhead
17-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Dropped a few hints and hopefully I'll be getting both the DVD and book for my birthday next month.

Thanet Eagle
17-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Purchased my copy today,cannot wait to watch it ! The packaging is superb.

stupalace
19-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Brilliant dvd , not 100% sure about the narration , its funny at first but not sure if its going to be funny after watching it 5 times .
Many thanks to the people who put the dvd together and also to the players etc who took time out to be interviewd .

Dorking .Eagle
19-08-2005, 08:28 AM
I think the narration has to be a bit funny, and slant towards jokiness, because most of the pre-1969 footage that exists is of Palace defeats!
Liked the reference when we beat Huddersfield in the 1990 Cup run, to the 1928 defeat in the snow!
Loved also the hilariously biased commentary when "The professionals" beat the amateurs (v Walthamstow Ave in the cup) - claiming our goal was lucky!!!

stupalace
19-08-2005, 09:03 AM
I liked the goal scored against man u in 81 , also showed us wearing a yellow kit design in the late 70's that i hadnt seen before

Tony
19-08-2005, 01:04 PM
I think the narration has to be a bit funny, and slant towards jokiness, because most of the pre-1969 footage that exists is of Palace defeats!
Liked the reference when we beat Huddersfield in the 1990 Cup run, to the 1928 defeat in the snow!
Loved also the hilariously biased commentary when "The professionals" beat the amateurs (v Walthamstow Ave in the cup) - claiming our goal was lucky!!!

Kenneth bloody Wolstenholme again – see a thread in memory lane about his less than fair commentaries on us in other games, particularly over John Sewell's penalty equaliser at Old Trafford in 1970.

It's nicely balanced by dear old Brian Moore going crazy ape bonkers over a couple of Palace goals that were scropey to say the least. His hernia-inducing reaction to Gary Sprake dropping John Sewell's hoof over the line would have suited a Rivellino 35 yarder but doesn't quite capture the comedy of the moment.

Obviously I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who made the DVD, which is truly a joy to behold and I would say to anyone yet to see it that you're in for a treat.

Neil the Eagle
19-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Look closely at that kit stu, that was Sheff Utd's away kit!!

Used because the ref wouldn't allow us to wear the shirts we'd brought along.

stupalace
19-08-2005, 01:26 PM

Excellent , cheers mate .

david sylvian
19-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on these

Have been reading the centenary book - which is good/ OK but too many adverts. The centenary DVD is totally excellent though - my only complaint that our dodgy years of the early 80s and period rising under Coppell weren't dwelt upon with enough detail.

Great footage though, and wonderful voiceover from Kevin Day. A truly superb job imo.

Tony
19-08-2005, 09:45 PM

You also get to see Grimsby wearing Palace's red and blue stripes at Selhurst for a similar reason.

Does anyone remember Reading having to wear green socks borrowed from a Sunday team one year because they turned up with white ones, the same as us? Blue and white hoops, white shorts, green socks looked a prize mess.

stupalace
22-08-2005, 12:26 PM
couple of complaints to make about the dvd after watching it all over the weekend . No mention of the league double over liverpool in 92 , the extended highlights could have included the 90 fa cup semi final instead .

all in all a superb dvd as I have already posted , the person in charge of editing this dvd would be in a no-win situation with people wanting to see different things on it . I was very pleased with the 80's game against N Forest on it .

with all the extra footage that was found is there any chance of having a 3 set dvd .Palace matches of the 70's , 80's and 90's maybe 90 minutes long with interviews with ex-players ???

super al
22-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Fair comments Stupalace.

I actually had a Liverpool pal who watched the DVD say how he felt that I picked on The Reds far too much in terms of us beating them since the nine-nil so I reckon if I had included the two you mentioned he would have chinned me!

Of course, I'd like to have included everything but had to make the tough decision to leave certain games out.

I decided against putting the semi final on the bonus because I felt that the subject had been covered well in the history DVD and showing the extended highlights would not add a great deal. From the people I asked most said they'd like to see more action from the seventies/eighties period. I'm sure some will disagree but there you go.

That said, there's nothing wrong with bringing the game out on DVD with interviews etc. If the interest is there I'm sure the club will consider it - email them. I'll produce it, no bother!

stupalace
22-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Fair comments Stupalace.

I actually had a Liverpool pal who watched the DVD say how he felt that I picked on The Reds far too much in terms of us beating them since the nine-nil so I reckon if I had included the two you mentioned he would have chinned me!

Of course, I'd like to have included everything but had to make the tough decision to leave certain games out.

I decided against putting the semi final on the bonus because I felt that the subject had been covered well in the history DVD and showing the extended highlights would not add a great deal. From the people I asked most said they'd like to see more action from the seventies/eighties period. I'm sure some will disagree but there you go.

That said, there's nothing wrong with bringing the game out on DVD with interviews etc. If the interest is there I'm sure the club will consider it - email them. I'll produce it, no bother!

have emailed the club loads of times ref dvd's . Hopefuuly the success of this particular dvd may kick them into action . Thanks again for all the hard work you put into this dvd .

Lambeth Palace
22-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Great DVD. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it last night. To think, we were actually good at set pieces once...

Forever Stripes
22-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I've just finished watching the DVD and must say it's excellent.

I've been watching the mighty Eagles since 1969 and as most TV footage is obviously from then on (Some great earlier clips though), it's a bit like seeing my life re-run on film. I seemed to remember every bit of it as if yesterday. Brought a tear to my eye.

:p

MR T
22-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Agree that the DVD is very good - but the book is disapointing - was expecting much more content and much less adverts.

GeeTee
23-08-2005, 11:51 AM
It's a cracking DVD. Really intesting interviews and some great old footage.

The extended Wright and Bright interview was worth the money alone.

Chobham Eagle
23-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Great DVD. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done to all who put it together.

Nelson Muntz
01-10-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm a very very late comer to this thread, but I've only just saved enough to buy the bleeding thing.
Got it Tuesday, watched it all day Wednesday and it is fantastic. I loved watching the pre 1980 stuff and the Wright/Bright interview is worth the price alone.
Shame the Ipswich goals weren't available. Like Jim C said, all four were crackers.
Scarboro, Wrexham, Orient and others were all things I never thought I'd see again.

I challenge anybody not to say they shed a tear at some stage. Despite me watching CPFC since about 1969 the bit that never fails to make me well-up is Hughes' penalty at the Stadium of Light. When it hit the net I knew I was going to the Millenium Stadium.
Nice one.

Just one more thing. Why is the packaging upside down?

c_block_lad
01-10-2005, 08:33 AM
The DVD is the best bit of Palace Merchandise I can ever remember. What a bloody brillant DVD, everything and more a Palace fan could ever want.

My thanks to the makers of the DVD and Palace for funding and letting the DVD happen. Top draw.

daveweller
01-10-2005, 08:49 PM
wasn't there talk of a director's cut (extended version)? the only thing causing me to hold of buying

stupalace
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Have managed to bore everyone in my local through me showing the top ten palace goals from the dvd on my phone it shuts the man u fans every time

super al
02-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by daveweller
wasn't there talk of a director's cut (extended version)? the only thing causing me to hold of buying

Sorry daveweller but that IS the director's cut! I got the bloomin' thing extended from two hours to three (its working title became "Gone With The Wind Part II")!

Hope everyone's enjoying the DVD as much as I enjoyed making it!

daveweller
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Sorry daveweller but that IS the director's cut! I got the bloomin' thing extended from two hours to three (its working title became "Gone With The Wind Part II")!

Hope everyone's enjoying the DVD as much as I enjoyed making it!

Thank's for clearing that up. Only the club shop can get in the way now!

100% Palace
02-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by daveweller
Thank's for clearing that up. Only the club shop can get in the way now!

You're f*cked then!!;)

Archiebald Leitch
02-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Watched the dvd this week and was pleasantly surprised how blooming good it is.

Hedgehog
02-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Nelson Muntz
I challenge anybody not to say they shed a tear at some stage.
Yep.... I did. :sob:

I watched it a few days before my 50th birthday, and it all seemed so appropriate.... I had to pinch myself and say... I really was standing on the terrace at a lot of those games.

Never seen Terry Long before, but I thought he came over as an exceptionally nice guy. And I would never have picked Bobby Woodruff out of an identity line!

arussell
03-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Having sat in on Terry's interview, I can confirm he was a really nice guy (and very quietly spoken).

What really surprised (and yet delighted me really) was how warm and genuine ALL the players were that were interviewed, about their time at Palace.

They really do have a lot of affection for the club and Selhurst Park.

Away Day Eagle
03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
[B]
What really surprised (and yet delighted me really) was how warm and genuine ALL the players were that were interviewed, about their time at Palace.
/B]

That certainly something I picked up on throughout, which compliments the overall effect.

TonbridgeEagle
20-10-2005, 08:49 AM
My copy arrived in the post yesterday morning (thanks for your help Foz - Clubshop). I managed to watch the first disc last night and I must say that I really am impressed with everything I've seen so far.
There were a few moments when the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, especially during the Top 20 goals on disk two (I watched these before even thinking about watching the first disk).

Hopefully I'll get to watch the second disk tonight. Well done to all involved and thanks for the hard work you've all put in to make the dvd possible.

El Aguila
26-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I just watched this. It really is excellent - congratulations to all involved, especially those who post here.

Payney
02-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Finally got around to buying the DVD, it really is fantastic stuff.

Best ever £30 spent in the club shop.

Great days with great goals scored from great corners and free kicks.:eek:

eddieskyclad
13-12-2005, 07:59 PM
For whatever it's worth I've just lent the DVD to a Boro supporting friend of mine who loves all things football.

He absolutely adores the DVD, despite not been a Palace fan. He especially loves the old footage and ranks it as the best football feature/documentary that he's ever seen. He know wants to know why Middlesbrough don't have something similar...

arussell
14-12-2005, 01:03 AM
:)

That last coment is great to hear. Alan did us proud with the product that's for sure.

And I've spoken to many people who are still slowly working their way through it and savouring it as well.

Hedgehog
14-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Payney
great goals scored from great corners and free kicks.:eek:
Something that stuck me was the penalties also. Andy Gray's especially came over in the DVD as unstoppable. None of these Andy Johnson bum tweakers!