PDA

View Full Version : tv screens at SP

peterg
05-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Another thread (re the music) has touched on the tv screens at Palace.
In a word, the tv service is hopeless in many ways. There are all kinds of issues.
1 On the tvs in the Holmesdale stand bar areas, the text is too small to be able to read the football scores - that's because part of the screen has been filled with advertising.
2 The same goes for trying to read the football scores on the replay screen (videotron?) above the Sainsbury's end.
3 By the end of last season, about half of the tvs in this area weren't working. The tvs in the first room you come to never worked.
4 Sometimes the tvs show the Sky football coverage. But when you are watching this, they switch to the halftime competition on the pitch - this is really boring and we all know that no one ever wins it because it's impossible anyway.
5 The Videotron service is dire. We are treated like children because it won't replay any freekick incident ever. Instead we get an advert we can't read because the text is too small.
6 Often we get an unreadable ad instead of a replay for non-controversial incidents. If you are sitting in the top righthand side of the Upper Holmesdale, you need the tv screen because the canopy of the Arthur Wait stand obscures part of the pitch. So when something is going on like an injury in that part of the pitch, you have no idea what is happening because you get the (unreadable) ad instead.

Those are my first six complaints. The crappy nature of this tv service makes you wonder just who (if anyone) is in charge of it and whether they ever bother to wonder what it is like for any of the punters trying to watch it. Why does no one care that half the screens aren't working? Why is so much to do with the Palace like this? Why doesn't Simon Jordan get on top of this kind of thing?

Is anyone from the club out there taking notice of threads like these?

GreatGonzo
05-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Ok how about the ultimate insult.

We were watching the screens after the Norwich or Saints game and another match had not yet finished. We were all standing there waiting for the result to come through - so they turned the telly off to get everyone out! :veryangry

Harry Holmesdale
05-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by peterg
Why does no one care that half the screens aren't working? Why is so much to do with the Palace like this? Why doesn't Simon Jordan get on top of this kind of thing?

No money to be made from it is there

paf
05-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Why doesn't Simon Jordan get on top of this kind of thing?

Is anyone from the club out there taking notice of threads like these? [/B]

no, but if you wait a while somebody will say SJ saved the club, blah blah blah

:S:

SmithEagle
05-07-2005, 01:47 PM
After a reserves game me, Gonzo and a few others were watching Saints vs someone, it was an importnant game we needed the right result, and they turned it off with a few minutes remaining to get everyone out!

05-07-2005, 01:49 PM
i would read out the scores at half time and full time like i said in the other thread.

eagles #1
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Not to do with the screens but that fecking Jumbotron gets on my nerves sometimes. Why is it when they're showing a replay of something (maybe a close effort) that they suddenly cut to adverts at just the wrong time? You hear the whole crowd eagerly waiting to see how close it was go "OOOOHHH" :D

05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
the tv's dont make money but using the crappy fireworks that you cant even see are a bigger waste of money!! they should put thier "fireworks budget" towards a bigger, better screen to fit perfectly for all to see

paf
05-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Palace could've showed lots of away games in the red and blue bar if they wanted to last season, Chelsea and Newcastle showed loads, even Norwich screend quite a few, Palace finally managed one at the end of the season. Money to be made there, he cant be arsed.

peterg
05-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 007
the tv's dont make money but using the crappy fireworks that you cant even see are a bigger waste of money!! they should put thier "fireworks budget" towards a bigger, better screen to fit perfectly for all to see

Good point. If you're sitting in the Holmesdale Upper you can't see the fireworks because the burst point is above our line of vision.

More Palace crap.

We all love the club but sometimes it's against all the odds.

GreatGonzo
05-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Off the field the club is still conference standard!

I do not think it is the fact that SJ 'cannot be bothered' as such more that he is never in the country to do ANYTHING.

He then of course has a building site foreman running the club! :rolleyes:

krackers
05-07-2005, 02:02 PM
why is everyone critising the club when jordan saved us?

05-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by krackers

:rolleyes: paf beet you :D

he saved the club which we thank him for but we can still have ambition!! simon jordan cant rely on the fact he savd us for ever he is going to have to spend some cash!!

i love jordan as much as the next person but he needs to spend some money

peterg
05-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by krackers

Is this irony?

(See prediction by Paf, ten postings higher up)

eagles #1
05-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Good point. If you're sitting in the Holmesdale Upper you can't see the fireworks because the burst point is above our line of vision.

More Palace crap.

We all love the club but sometimes it's against all the odds. Or even if you're in the Lower Holmesdale whats the point in having fireworks in the day when you can hardly see them?! :D

So stupid.

Mackenuff
05-07-2005, 02:11 PM

More Palace crap.

We all love the club but sometimes it's against all the odds.

Believe me. You haven't missed much in terms of the fireworks. Before the Arsenal game they were banging on about getting to the ground early for the fireworks display as if it was gonna rival Battersea or Crystal Palace Parks!!

It was utter garbage. There was more smoke than fireworks. TBH it was cringe-worthy and embarassing to the Palace fans.

WorthingEagle
05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Where do they get their TV's from? Considering they're only on for 4 hours every 2 weeks and still break down under this immense strain....

smileysmith
05-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Moan moan moan. Be grateful you get fecking TVs. :rolleyes:

eagles #1
05-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Moan moan moan. Be grateful you get fecking TVs. :rolleyes: Why? They dont fecking work!

screamingalice
05-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by paf
Palace could've showed lots of away games in the red and blue bar if they wanted to last season, Chelsea and Newcastle showed loads, even Norwich screend quite a few, Palace finally managed one at the end of the season. Money to be made there, he cant be arsed.

Its perhaps mor eto do with broadcasting rights and the cost of the licence from the broadcaster to show them. I understand that it was very late in the day before Palace could get permission to show the Charlton game and it cost a lot of money.

As for showing away games live in the ground, the balance has to be how much money would they make after the cost of staff and extra refreshments etc was calculated. If we were top of tyhe premier league and winning away on a regular basis then the turn out would be good. Not so sure the turn out last season would have justified the investment. Not an excuse for the club just a possible explanation, ifit will not bring revenue in is it worth it?

paf
05-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by screamingalice
Not an excuse for the club just a possible explanation, ifit will not bring revenue in is it worth it?

Possibly, I'm sure Norwich said they made nothing but goodwill, but didn't lose any money on it.

SpikeyMatt
05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
You're not allowed to show replays on the Jumbotrons inside grounds, especially of consciencious and controversial decisions which may "bring the game into disrepute".

However, you are allowed to show goals, shots, but none of the technical area for some reason either.

It needs a bit of attention does the media-fan relationship inside SP, barring Rob Fox of course, who's quality:D

palace_crystal
05-07-2005, 02:54 PM
all this is moaning about TV screens at selhurst, i usually go to selhurst to watch the game on the pitch, if i want to watch TV i'll stay at home.

peterg
05-07-2005, 03:25 PM

peterg
05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by palace_crystal
all this is moaning about TV screens at selhurst, i usually go to selhurst to watch the game on the pitch, if i want to watch TV i'll stay at home.

It's long been a paradox that you can get a better view of a match by watching on tv rather than the real thing. Installing close-up and replay screens does something to help put the paying fan on an equal footing. It's especially helpful at cricket matches where things can happen so fast. So what exactly is wrong with that?

Harry Holmesdale
05-07-2005, 03:44 PM
The football laws prevent them from showing potentially controversial incidents

If you want to watch telly don't buy a season ticket buy a Plasma TV :p

jempie
05-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I think some of you are missing the point.

Sometimes (for whatever reason) you can't see the action.

HT and FT scores is the real beef for me. I mean they have graphics and text for the players when they come out, surely it's not hard to type out Burnley 0 Cardiff 0. Plymouth 0 QPR 0..... 0 0 ....... 0 0.....