PDA

View Full Version : where is the biggest hole that you have seen palace play at ?

palace headcase
05-07-2005, 10:08 PM
for me i think it was QPR. i was in the upper tier of the away end near the back and i couldnt even seen the bloody penalty area at our end :eek: and also we got humped 6-0 that day which made it so much better :bash:

c_block_lad
05-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Slumhurst Park.

Nelson Muntz
05-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Gillingham

Walrus
05-07-2005, 10:12 PM
A quarter-built and three-quarters decrepit Bloomfield Road (Blackpool)

Pikie Punisher
05-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Brighton fans love playing in shit holes ;) .

Gallery Shaft
05-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Old Oxford ground (was it called Manor Park)...gents toilet was a wall with no lights you had to use your nose to tell you were at the front and it was your turn...I still think to this day that I pi**ed up some poor guys leg who was in front of me

Eagle Of Cray
05-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Newport County.

patch
05-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Dulwich Hamlet

palace headcase
05-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Gallery Shaft
I still think to this day that I pi**ed up some poor guys leg who was in front of me

LOL :D i bet he was most pleased :lux:

gloslad
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
tuffley rovers fc closely followed by newport county.

Pikie Punisher
05-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Old Oxford ground (was it called Manor Park)...gents toilet was a wall with no lights you had to use your nose to tell you were at the front and it was your turn...I still think to this day that I pi**ed up some poor guys leg who was in front of me

What would you have done if you'd wanted a dump :confused: ?

palace headcase
05-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by gloslad
tuffley rovers fc.

LOL !!! who the f**k are they some sunday leauge park side or something LMAO !!! :D

macstar
05-07-2005, 10:24 PM
gillingham and Oxfords old ground get my vote.

Eagle Of Cray
05-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Whoever they are they must have a crap ground if its worse than Newport

sharpeshooter
05-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Halifax,:rolleyes:

gloslad
05-07-2005, 10:34 PM
tuffley rovers are a gloscester side that plays non league footie, god knows wot league there in but its low,saw palace play there bout 14years ago........oh we won 6-1 lol

Eagle Of Cray
05-07-2005, 10:36 PM
tuffley rovers are a gloscester side that plays non league footie, god knows wot league there in but its low,saw palace play there bout 14years ago........oh we won 6-1 lol

Who scored the Palace goal ?

gloslad
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
im palace.....cant remenber who scored for palace but gary oreily was there!! palace won

timmy heald
05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Old Oxford and Reading were pretty bad, but for me Southend away was the worst. Small standing, massive ladder in the middle and a steward who was a 'jobsworth' and punched a palace suppoting WOMAN bang in the face.

Dorking .Eagle
05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
A 3 sided freezing cold Hartlepool in January . Icy winds straight off the North Sea, and (a struggling) Premiership Palace beating by a bottom division team of hackers and divers.
Even if it had been a sunny day in August, I would still rate it amongst the worst grounds.

Oh and the Withdean, although part of me is fascinated as to how they managed to erect an entire League graded ground almost all out of temporary structures. Apparently each summer the ground is completely dismantled and taken off to be used at a Golf tournament!!!

limited_edition
05-07-2005, 11:09 PM
In recent years, exposed to the elements at Fratton Park on Boxing Day 2002. For all the people that slag off Selhurst, the open air seats at Fratton Park are far worse than anything at SP.

newbureagle
05-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Fratton Park is a good shout. They haven't actually put a roof on the away end yet have they? Then again, Dougie in 2001 and Dean Austin doing his Terry Butcher impression.... A great day.

howard
05-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Anyone for Rotherham?

Debaser
05-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Swindon. away end... crikey. windy, wet and cold... nearly put me completely off away games! (nearly....)

Gollum
06-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Cambridge, the away end.

the elusive k
06-07-2005, 12:03 AM
The old Wembley, 5 times. ;)

The last time against Sheffield United I thought the terracing was going to give way under us during that crazy last 15 mintues when everyone was going mental.

Great Stadium but still a right shit-hole.

917L
06-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Reading (Elm Park)
Grimsby
Gillingham

Ruskin Old Boy
06-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Gillingham

Glaws Eagle
06-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Saw them play at Tuffley in Gloucester a few years ago.

Collymore was playing so it was 14 years ago or so.

What a shytehole!!

LeeH
06-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Newport County
Grimsby in the 80's
Woking was pretty poor in pre-season last year
Gravelines (but a good day out nonetheless! :D)

Aussie_Eagle
06-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Half built Bloomfield road, what a dump.

palace headcase
06-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by timmy heald
a steward who was a 'jobsworth' and punched a palace suppoting WOMAN bang in the face.

he punched her in the face :eek: what the hell for ??

i hope he got arrested :veryangry b***ard

Dobbo
06-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Maidstone in a pre season friendly. Plough Lane. Recreation Ground, Aldershot.

Zohar Returns
06-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Dartford (although this was Dave Madden's testimonial), Cambridge and Reading's old ground spring to mind.

Harry Holmesdale
06-07-2005, 08:29 AM
The Withdean

The game had kicked off and I didn't even realise, no atmosphere, no view of the pitch, felt like I was 10 years old sat behind the goal watching my dad's old pub team !

Atrocious

paf
06-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by palace headcase
for me i think it was QPR. i was in the upper tier of the away end near the back and i couldnt even seen the bloody penalty area at our end :eek: and also we got humped 6-0 that day which made it so much better :bash:

I was sat up there too, right at the back in the corner. Shite.

Baldy
06-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Watford. Fkng miles to walk round the ground to the away end.

Southampton St Mary's.How long to get through that bottleneck outside and back to the main road ??

West Ham.....Absolutely ridiculous queues at Upton Park tube. It was never like that in the 70's/80's when the crowds were much bigger.

Torquay. Ground completely impossible to find, although we were very drunk.

Norwich when the away fans were stuck in that corner and you couldnt see anything.

West Brom: The worst area in the world.

dave_who_ru
06-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Cambridge with a biting wind blowing over the cabbage patches.

Trilby
06-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Rotherham, without a shadow of a doubt.

David of Kent
06-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by EAGLE OF CRAY
Newport County.

Same here.

GeeTee
06-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Plough Lane for me.

Stinging nettles were growing out of the terraces.

Pennyfather
06-07-2005, 09:15 AM
The old den, the dell, ninian park and filbert street to name a few. Plough Lane is a good shout, especially at the back of the away terrace when you couldn't see the six yard box of nearest goal. Remember Ian Wright banging in his hat-trick on last game there. Ha. Also Shrewsbury was pretty poor along with Blackpool. Swindon about 1988 when roof was literally falling to bits. Gillingham also horrible. Can't agree with Rotherham and Grimsby though, both great away ends.

Jack Regan
06-07-2005, 09:16 AM
The Goldstone Ground.

Not just because it's Brighton, but when we used to go there in the 1970's/80's we were caged in so much, we couldn't see anything.

Runner-up

Ayresome Park, Middlesboro's old ground. What a world class khazi.

IanH
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Enfield in the Cup in the early 80's

PalaceMonkey
06-07-2005, 09:36 AM
not a shitehole per se, but I was disappointed with Old Trafford.

gsaunders22
06-07-2005, 09:45 AM
im palace.....cant remenber who scored for palace but gary oreily was there!! palace won

gloslad, where in Gloucester do you live ?? 2 palace fans in Gloucester??? Cant be true ??!!

GOD
06-07-2005, 09:47 AM
The Old Stamford Bridge, about a mile from the pitch and 10 ft fencing caged in like animals.

BaldEagle96
06-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Blackpool - so far back from the pitch you had no idea what was happening at the other end!

cantspell
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Debaser
Swindon. away end... crikey. windy, wet and cold... nearly put me completely off away games! (nearly....) Definitely not, remember going to the play off game there a few years back on a very hot day and thought it wasn't too bad. goldstone ground where you could hardly see ranks as one of the worse.

daggerdave
06-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Colchester, Gillingham, Enfield.

Dorking .Eagle
06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Good Shout about Pompey, and also about the old side roof at Swindon in the late 80's - a very high corrugated tin roof full of holes and falling to bits.

What about the old corner terrace at Filbert Street - I swear that by putting the home fans right next to you with a floor to ceiling fence made them behave like mad caged animals even more.

One of the worst views to look forward to this season has to be Cardiff City - so many fences (one right in front of the near goal so that no matter where you stand or sit it gets in the way), and I made the mistake of buying a seat last time in the hope that it might be a better view from the side stand, but the seats were so low down that I ended up going to the terrace behind and standing.

QPR, Colchester United and Oxford's old ground - can't see the near goal line from behind the goal.

Highbury for the one reason that how can a club build a load of boxes so recently (late 80's) and still leave half the South Bank uncovered?

Gillingham - how long are they going to try and get away with having that huge scaffold stand there for? (the terrace it used to be also was one where you couldn't see the near goal line)

That wooden stand at Blackpool behind the goal for the FA Cup game a few years ago - miles from the newly moved pitch, and I swear it was more of a death trap than the one that burned down at Bradford. Luckily now demolished - a pile of rubble just sands there now. Add to that the awful uncovered temporary stand on the side at Blackpool. Why is it whenever we get an uncovered area, it rains?

The two rows of seating at Norwich whilst they were building the new stand - that was just bizarre.

Upton Park last time we played there, and they had moved the pitch across to the new massive side stand, leaving some of us facing nothing, and 30 yards from the corner flag alone.

Port Vale in the Fog at an FA Cup replay - how that game wasn't abandoned I'll never know!!!! It was unbelievable, you really couldn't see the other end

The away seats behind the goal at Southend - simply bolted onto a sunken terrace, so you have to be in the back few rows to see the pitch sitting down

LP
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
The Withdean, some of the stand we were in seemed to be made of cardboard.

Igor Iconic
06-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Bloomfield Road, in a temporary stand in freezing conditions (hail stones, the works), midweek...was actually better than the shitehole that is Rotherham. Trilby is right, Rotherham is the worst for me.

LeeH
06-07-2005, 09:59 AM
I would imagine Weed supporters will be shocked to see the Withdean being mentioned so little!

Twin of Droy
06-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Molineux when they moved the pitch a hundred yards away for several seasons. Newport and the latter days of Elm Park.
The reference to Wembley wobbling underfoot reminds me of how dodgy Fulhams Plastic and cardboard Stand was this year.

Dorking .Eagle
06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Tranmere's away stand (the bigger end called the Kop, not the Cowshed end where we were last time), despite being concrete construction stared to wobble when the Woolpackers started the "bouncey bouncey" song

Nelson Muntz
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
the Woolpackers started the "bouncey bouncey" song
That song was class at Tranmere. It's not heard enough at away games these days.

Dowie's Fist
06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Gollum
Cambridge, the away end.

Agreed and Southend isn't great

Chris K
06-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Cambridge and Gillingham for me

Boston Eagle
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Dartford fc (dave maddens testimonial) and Aldershot

Pistike
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
The old Victoria Ground Stoke was horrible.

Then again so is Fratton Park but I quite like that place.

Dorking .Eagle
06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
I quite liked the old Victoria Ground (Stoke) good terrace, albeit with a stand full of Stoke fans behind/above you. Anyone who never heard their big home covered terrace behind their goal singing Delilah hasn't lived. They really got behind their team at that place. 1000 times more atmosphere and soul than their new ground in the middle of nowhere. Not entirely sure why they moved really, as although it was old, it didn't seem to be falling down, and wouldn't have been too expensive or hard to convert to all seater, as it was all-covered. Never liked getting away after games there though.

martin.cpfc
06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Debaser
Swindon. away end... crikey. windy, wet and cold... nearly put me completely off away games! (nearly....)

Me too. To make things worse we lost 2-0 in a terrible game.

Sandowneagle
06-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Not the worst but the old Ewood Park sticks in my mind. Toilets didn't have a roof on them, always grateful I never needed a dump there when it was raining!

Marshy
06-07-2005, 10:37 AM

Blackburn away (Play Off 1st Leg) 89 was like that too!! What a dump the place was!!!

the frozen horse pie's didnt help lighten my mood either!!!!

Ghengis
06-07-2005, 10:39 AM
What about Luton?
You sit practically beneath the pitch and have a post smack in front of you, and you can hardly sit in the seats, because of the leg room. Not to mention the green houses down one side of the pitch.

SmithEagle
06-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Tranmere

NorwoodPride
06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Gillingham (nice toilets) and the old Den (caged in a friendly atmosphere).

cpfc1976
06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Derby's Baseball Ground was a right dump!!

Also Bolton's old ground, open end, seem to remember getting tonked 3-0
and it was soddin freezing!!

Dorking .Eagle
06-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Good shout for Luton (although I think it makes a great trip because it doesn't take long to get there via Thameslink, which unlike the odd Intercity service will never be a "dry" train, good pub the other side of the Railway line, and plenty of curry houses. Whilst the away end isn't the best for the view, it has exellent accoustics.

That said, when we last played there (Pre-season friendly before 03/04 season - I still need a teamsheet if anyone has one!) we were in the pub in colours which was mixed between Palace fans, Luton fans and uninterested locals out for a Saturday lunchtime drink. Everyone got on really well and had a laugh together, although I found it a bit strange that a few of the guys in the pub were obsessed with asking us about trouble, who we hated, what had we done to Br*ghton and what had they done to us, kept trying to ask for stories about punch ups etc etc and kept telling us about what went on between them and Watford.

Didn't think too much about it, but then later when in the ground, about a minute before kick off, about 30 of our Yoof firm turn up and go over to the nearest Luton Stand and start giving it the big 'un. Suddenly all the Luton lads from earlier in the pub, who seemed nice enough, and shared a pleasant drink with (albeit were a bit fixated with violence!) suddenly charge over and the two groups were chomping at the bit to get at each other, both offering each others out for a punch up!!! Surreal for a low-key friendly with about 3 coppers on duty!

Scroatey
06-07-2005, 11:44 AM
London Road (Peterborough) before the new stand went up, and as a general experience Barnsley :(

Tom's Old Man
06-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Definately Newport County.

E_girl
06-07-2005, 12:36 PM
The Withdean - I thought Gilingham was bad til I went there!

Panther
06-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Aldershot, followed by the Shay and Plough Lane, though the last was before Wimbledon were in the league so it may have improved (sparks loads of comments of "It didn't"). Come to think of it, the Shay was probably the worst.

Zohar Returns
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM
The away seats behind the goal at Southend - simply bolted onto a sunken terrace, so you have to be in the back few rows to see the pitch sitting down

Agreed. Probably the worst ground for a decent view.

Mackenuff
06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Marshy
Blackburn away (Play Off 1st Leg) 89 was like that too!! What a dump the place was!!!

the frozen horse pie's didnt help lighten my mood either!!!!

Agreed. Was a complete crap-hole. Went up on the coach. Remember they were renovating one of the big stands at the time and there were people standing in the park on that side of ground who could see most of the match for free!! It was a really gloomy and horrible place, rained throughout the game, we lost 3-1, no covers on the toilets and had to listen to Eternal Flame by the Bangles about 47 times on the coach on the way home because it was number one in the charts!!

tomario
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Derry city away in 94, the place had only two stands

Nowhere is as bad as gillingham in england.

StevePlus
06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
How about Charlton before they abandoned and rebuilt the place? Back in the 1960s it must have had the most terracing of any ground in the country, with one minature stand in the middle of one side. It must have been lovely when it rained.

gloslad
06-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by gsaunders22
gloslad, where in Gloucester do you live ?? 2 palace fans in Gloucester??? Cant be true ??!!

lol.....i live off stroud road,wot about yourself? seen a few palace shirts and car stickers around glos,but im always on my own when watchin palace down slones!!

mabbutts boots
06-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Southend and Filbert street, utter crapholes

dickie
06-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Certainly agree with Hartlepool & Aldershot & would also nominate Tooting & Mitcham, Gigg Lane (?)(we played there one midweek afternoon) and Bury has to rank up there.
Colchester or Southend were not brilliant either.

BlazeRIP
06-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Rotherham is a quite bad . the crazyness beings when you go out of the ground when u walk down these narrow alley ways. i remember one time then some 'palace fan' hit a steward and knocked him spark out and police trying to find him , taking ages to get out of the shitehole. The broken glass on the walls is very nice aswel .

joe walker
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
im only 15, so excuse if my experiences of away grounds arent as bad as you

but my worst was the Priestfield when it was just 2 "stands"
it was pre-season about 6/7 years ago and the palace lot (quite a few) had to support from concrete steps, with no seats, and no roof, basically a temporary concrete grandstand

$#!thole

m355y
06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
There are some really apalling grounds out there for sure.

For me, Elm Park was the worst, firstly because it was a horrible, delapidated sh*thole and secondly because I used to get dragged down there as a kid. No redeeming features, just 100% sh*thole.

Of the current grounds you can't get much worse than Gillingham and Rotherham.

Princess
06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Gillingham, Gillingham,Gillingham every single time. Should be nuked!

BlazeRIP
06-07-2005, 08:21 PM
nah , just throw a twig at there groung and it will fall down

Enfield eagle
06-07-2005, 08:22 PM
ha ha ha love the gillingham quote above

barnets underhill ground gets my vote

Russboy
06-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Hartlepool was a freezing hellhole - don't remember ever feeling as cold as during that FA Cup match. I still hope they get dragged into the conference - that would wipe the smile off Jeff Stelling's smug face.

No way Aldershot. They're my nearest team now and seen them a few times. Not the greatest ground but on comedy alone its one of the best. You can watch the local glitteratti (those with 18 carat knuckledusters instead of 9) in the VIP section - an ancient perspex box badly in need of a lick of paint. The last time I went there was an old guy who had two false legs that had frozen up - we mistook the stewards trying to drag him up as a forced ejection. He later nearly fell in a bin and had to be helped back in his seat by the same poor sods. You can also watch Chelsea reserves get thrashed by allcomers for a fiver - hopefully once Abramovich is out the door the senior team will be ground-sharing too, with the same results.

palace headcase
06-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Russboy
He later nearly fell in a bin and had to be helped back in his seat by the same poor sods.

LOL !!! nearly fell in a bin.... who could he do that if he had two wooden legs :clown:

Palaceboy222
07-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Gillingham for me

David of Kent
07-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Princess
Gillingham, Gillingham,Gillingham every single time. Should be nuked!

Edit....Probably not a good reply from me originally in light of todays episode in London. My bad.

Shipsisourking
07-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Hartlepool gets my vote, f'ing cold and f'ing crap 2 matches!

Tim
07-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Ground wise it would have to be The Old Den, Town or City wise it would be Stoke on Trent!

gsaunders22
07-07-2005, 12:01 PM
lol.....i live off stroud road,wot about yourself? seen a few palace shirts and car stickers around glos,but im always on my own when watchin palace down slones!!

Will PM you

follow cpfc
07-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Fratton park is a shit hole

LP
07-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by follow cpfc
Fratton park is a shit hole

The whole experience of going to Portsmouth is miserable. Horrible decrepit town, chip on their shoulder locals, 30 to sit on a seat bolted on to an open terrace, a hut for a toilet....Can't beleive the stick Selhurst gets when I visit places like that.

yorkpalace
07-07-2005, 02:44 PM
gillingham in the 70's an open topped toliet corragatted iron to p..s up against, and floodlights that moved in the wind.

follow cpfc
07-07-2005, 04:24 PM
fratton park was abismal and it makes it worse when you lose three one and the support is shit because there is no roof and popvic scores an own goal

Forever Stripes
07-07-2005, 08:04 PM
There have been so many poor grounds:-

Aldershot, Southend, Colchester, Petersborough, The Old Den, Tooting And Mitch., the old Stamford Bridge, Wimbledon, the old Elm Park, to name but a few, but......the worst, the one I really hate......is .......
Fratton Park (Portsmouth) .....What a dump, no roof, seats too close together, prehistoric facilities, seats below the pitch level, ugly fans, a 1 in 3 slope on the pitch penalty area. UGGGGGGGHHHHHH.

follow cpfc
07-07-2005, 09:31 PM
and 30

limited_edition
08-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Plough Lane was the worst ever. If I remember correctly, in 1991 Ian Wright scored a goal from near the half way line. Shame I couldn't see it hit the back of the net from where I was standing.

MKCPFC
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Aldershot away , must have been when were were in third division mid seventies. . Just a rope behind one of the goals.

mouseboy
09-07-2005, 11:21 AM
probably Port vale's ground

Freddy Kurz
09-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by palace headcase

There are plenty of far worse grounds than Loftus Road, but who cares?
We the supporters have little choice but to attend whatever away ground our club is required to play at, irrespective of whether it is
the first-team, reserves or even our juniors, dependent on just how
fanatical we are. That's what being a real Palace fan is all about!

Tom's Old Man
10-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I reckon QPR is one of the better grounds to go to when following Palace. Always take loads, under cover, top atmosphere (away end).
Newport the worst, other crap ones are Hartlepool, (old) Oxford, Cambridge, (old) Northampton.

KennyB
11-07-2005, 02:51 PM
A 3 sided freezing cold Hartlepool in January . Icy winds straight off the North Sea, and (a struggling) Premiership Palace beating by a bottom division team of hackers and divers.
Even if it had been a sunny day in August, I would still rate it amongst the worst grounds.

That is the worst I have been to (we were winning 0-1 at one point !). Crap ground, crap weather, crap facilities (crap result).

Followed closely by Oxford, one Christmas, when it never stopped raining and we had no cover - and the way in and out was down that narrow concrete lined alleyway.

Then there's Fratton Park in January - again no cover, long queue for the (smelly, dirty) bog.

The Old Den wasn't too smart either.

Chunt
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Rotherham, horrible area - horrible ground.

speechless
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
withdean and fratton are shite, but the hands down winner for me is readings old ground, elm park. it felt similar to a concentration camp on the outside, big high brick walls, vast expanses of barbed wire and no windows. a 6-1 victory covers over the fact that it was a shocking place to go.

Onka's Big Moka
11-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Selhurst

Pub Idol
11-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Onka's Big Moka
Selhurst

Stick to the Away fans end pal :rolleyes:

Eastern Boy
11-07-2005, 07:56 PM
It has to be Aldershot for me-pretty sure it was a 1975 pre-season?

Net behind one goal trying to stop the ball bounce down into the high st below.
Corrogated back wall
Home fans standing up the hill that overlooked the ground to watch for free, as well as the ones in the trees.

Made Selhurst like a Palace.

For aminities-Barnsley-open air toilets to piss in the rain and no bog for the missus.
Luton for the piss running down from the toilets as you came in the turnstiles!

KennyB
12-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Funnily enough, one of the worst journeys away from a match was from our first home match of the season about 8/9 years ago.

Mid August, midweek game (therefore came straight from work - not able to wear shorts and teeshirt etc). Game was against Watford, I think we drew. Really hot day, very humid.

Train from Selhurst was stinking hot and (as always) overcrowded. And after we got into it and the doors closed, it didn't move.

Really was disgusting. Then it jolted for a mile or so, and stopped again. For ages.

Worst journey yet ! (probably not helped by being an all-London game).

Does anybody else remember that day ?

BrianF
15-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by dickie
would also nominate Tooting & Mitcham, Gigg Lane (?)(we played there one midweek afternoon)

Sandy Lane, I think it was called. It was A wednesday afternoon in the FA Cup. I managed to get off school and went. Seem to remember we won 2-1, but were 1-0 down after about 30 seconds. Also Paul Hammond nearly scored with a drop kick. Did Harkouk score for us?

Halfwayline
15-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Just 2 votes for Colchester, saw Palace get a 2-2 in the League Cup, easily my worst ground, would put Orient as a second. Don' know what it is like now but terrible a few years back.

Haki
15-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Charlton, Just for the pure fact that at the top we couldnt see the goal below!