PDA

View Full Version : Speroni's capital anguish

cpfcben
11-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Speroni's capital anguish

Crystal Palace's number two goalkeeper Julian Speroni has spoken of his shock and deep sorrow after the tragic events that took place in London on Thursday.

London came to a standstill on the morning of the July 7 as bombs exploded within its transport system, with fatal consequences.

Argentinian Speroni was in London preparing for an afternoon training session, and he described the emotions that he went through as the tragedy developed.

"I should be on holiday in Buenos Aires but I decided to stay in London," said Speroni. "Near midday on Thursday I was going back home when I heard on the radio in my car what had happened.

"I got very worried because nearly all the players of the team are English and have their families in London. Thank God none of them had problems, nobody died and no injuries.

"In addition, fortunately I got in touch at once with my wife. I got very worried during the minutes that I had to wait for getting in contact with her because you think the worst thing but thank God we are okay.

"In the afternoon I had to go to a training session but we didn't do anything of what had been planned, it was impossible, the atmosphere was really bad, you feel pain in the air and we couldn't get out of our minds what had happened. It was chaos, the entire city was shocked and on the radio it was said all the time not to go down town.

"From the happiness that London had on Wednesday to the sadness on Thursday, it was really shocking. Personally I used to think that these kinds of things happened in other places but now it was shocking to see it so near. I can't stop thinking that if I would have had the day free something could have happened to me and my wife because we use the tube frequently."

And the Palace goalkeeper has confirmed that he will stay at Selhurst Park, believing that the only way to respond to the events is to carry on living a normal life.

"I am not afraid of living here. Everyone is going to keep going about their lives in the normal way and that is the correct thing to do. You don't have to paralyse, you have to walk on."

palace_crystal
11-07-2005, 01:26 PM
well said speroni!

I am not afraid of living here. Everyone is going to keep going about their lives in the normal way and that is the correct thing to do. You don't have to paralyse, you have to walk on