PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Andrews?

brb rule
13-07-2005, 03:35 PM
So how do we reckon he will do in the championship?

Personally i think a loan some where may do him good as he must surely be 5th choice still to see if he can score some goals.

Mackenuff
13-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Seems that whenever I talk about this bloke, the words 'headless' and 'chicken' spring to mind!!

TBH, he's cack and I've no idea why Dowie signed him. If it's because he's fast then perhaps he should have been a sprinter because he seems to be decidedly lacking in football skills.

I truly hope he never plays for us again. However, I feel that Dowie has plans for him that involve more than becoming the reserve teams top scorer and warming the first team bench.

:bash: :sob:

Lion
13-07-2005, 03:46 PM
I think he may suprise a few people this season if given the chance. He only played a few games last season and didn't make an input, however we're in a different league now and he may well do the business.

Saying that, he could also do all, but time will tell.

brb rule
13-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Lion
I think he may suprise a few people this season if given the chance. He only played a few games last season and didn't make an input, however we're in a different league now and he may well do the business.

Saying that, he could also do all, but time will tell.

Do you see him ahead of Macken, Sandor or Dougie though.

Jay_Palace
13-07-2005, 03:50 PM
, however we're in a different league now and he may well do the business.

He did very little for Colchester and Oldham though, so I really can't see him doing anything in the CCC. He will still be out of his depth.

It's quite funny, but I seem to remmeber an Aylesbury fan on hre a while ago [Ayesbury is of course where he was given his first chance by Bob Dowie] and even they said that he was a poor player by their standards!

He seems to have made a career on the fact that he's just not very good. Does he posess other qualities. Maybe he has a flair in the bootroom.

Beanie
13-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by brb rule
Do you see him ahead of Macken, Sandor or Dougie though.
He wasn't last season (not Macken of course) why should anything change now?

Dillenger
13-07-2005, 03:53 PM
he's a decent enough squad member for this division. dont know why people give him such a hard time, it's not like he was ever going to set the premiership alight, but he never looked that bad in the few appearences he made. i'd rather have him than Kuqi anyway.

Jay_Palace
13-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
he's a decent enough squad member for this division. dont know why people give him such a hard time, it's not like he was ever going to set the premiership alight, but he never looked that bad in the few appearences he made. i'd rather have him than Kuqi anyway.

I'd rather give one of our kids a chance, then Andrews.

As it stands we have four excellent strikers for this level and if necessary, I would like to see Lewis Grabban be given a chance.

To say Andrews is better than Kuqi is a little strange. I don't rate Kuqi but the fact is that he scored over 20 goals last season in the CCC. I don't think that Andrews has got more than 10 in league one.

He's a monumentaly poor player and I really can't see any defence for him. I find it a bit embarassing that a player like that is on our books, to be honest.

Dillenger
13-07-2005, 04:02 PM
but what do you base all that on, a couple of 10min substitute appearence on the wing last year ? no-ones saying he's a world-beater, i just think he hasnt had a time to prove how good (or bad) he is yet.

Mong!
13-07-2005, 04:06 PM
i'd rather have him than Kuqi anyway.

Yeah but can we see a team like Blackburn signing Andrews?

GreatGonzo
He has a good attitude and is a character around the training ground and good for the squad.

As a footballer, i could do a similar job! :eek:

peterg
As someone else said, I simply can't see what qualities he's supposed to bring to the team. What on earth did Dowie see in him? Anyone have any idea? Or is that he was all that was left on the shelf when last year's transfer window was about to close?

Jay_Palace
13-07-2005, 04:07 PM
but what do you base all that on, a couple of 10min substitute appearence on the wing last year ? no-ones saying he's a world-beater, i just think he hasnt had a time to prove how good (or bad) he is yet.

I'm basing it on the fact that he was less than impressive at Oldham and Colchester in league one. It's not like he's a young player with time to improve. He looked average like 3 years ago. What's changed now?

As he failed to deliver at league one then it is reasonable to conclude that he will be out of his depth in the CCC, when faced with defenders of the calibre of Lescott, Butler, Morgan, Lucketti et al.

I have nothing personal against the guy, I just expect to see a better calibre of player representing Crystal Palace football club.

Lion
13-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace

To say Andrews is better than Kuqi is a little strange. I don't rate Kuqi but the fact is that he scored over 20 goals last season in the CCC. I don't think that Andrews has got more than 10 in league one.

He scored 11 goals in 28 starts at Oldham, and 14 in 36 at Colchester. Not the best record in the world.

At Birminham, Johnson scored 8 in 44, so had a worse record than Andrews.

I'm not saying that Andrews will be as good as Johnson, but if Dowie can do the same for him as he did for Johnson then he could get us a few goals - he started to perform well for the reserves near the end of the season I believe?

Jay_Palace
13-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
He has a good attitude and is a character around the training ground and good for the squad.

He's a trained dancer, apparently.

Maybe he is useful in the training techniques excercises?

smileysmith
13-07-2005, 04:09 PM
but what do you base all that on, a couple of 10min substitute appearence on the wing last year ? no-ones saying he's a world-beater, i just think he hasnt had a time to prove how good (or bad) he is yet. His record at other lower league clubs.

Jay_Palace
13-07-2005, 04:13 PM
He scored 11 goals in 28 starts at Oldham, and 14 in 36 at Colchester. Not the best record in the world.

At Birminham, Johnson scored 8 in 44, so had a worse record than Andrews.

I'm not saying that Andrews will be as good as Johnson, but if Dowie can do the same for him as he did for Johnson then he could get us a few goals - he started to perform well for the reserves near the end of the season I believe?

The difference between the two being, however that AJ was a teenager with bags of promise and when he played for Birmingham against Liverpool in the league cup final a few years back, he absolutely murdered the Liverpool defence and all that let him down was his finishing. He was an unploished jewel in every sense of the word, and all he needed was a good manager to persevere with him and gradually ease him in.

I wouldn't object to Andrews if he was in his early 20's, but he is 28 and has absolutely no time for improvement. I cannot see how or why he will be able to positively contribute to our chances this season.

As for his reserve displays, well yes he did score a few but from what Ive heard from somebody who saw him a couple of times in the stiffs he didn't look that good and also most of the reserve teams he scored against were made up of youth team players.

Louis1974
13-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Andrews has no touch, cant head a ball but bundles of pace. Sounds a bit like a pony player i saw score a hatful in the CCC by the name of Harewood. If Harewood can score 15-20 goals in CCC i am pretty sure if andrews is ever used (dont think he will) he might contribute with some goals.

But I say Grabban should have a go at 3rd or 4th choice.

lauren_of_hove
13-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo

Well I wouldn't go that far ;)

He may get in the squad ahead of Dougie/Sandor/Macken depending on injuries and suspensions. He hasn't done much to impress me either, but I hope to be proved wrong.

smileysmith
13-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Louis1974
Andrews has no touch, cant head a ball but bundles of pace. Sounds a bit like a pony player i saw score a hatful in the CCC by the name of Harewood. If Harewood can score 15-20 goals in CCC i am pretty sure if andrews is ever used (dont think he will) he might contribute with some goals.

But I say Grabban should have a go at 3rd or 4th choice. Can you explain why he coudln't score in League One then??

Lion
13-07-2005, 04:19 PM
The difference between the two being, however that AJ was a teenager with bags of promise and when he played for Birmingham against Liverpool in the league cup final a few years back, he absolutely murdered the Liverpool defence and all that let him down was his finishing. He was an unploished jewel in every sense of the word, and all he needed was a good manager to persevere with him and gradually ease him in.

I wouldn't object to Andrews if he was in his early 20's, but he is 28 and has absolutely no time for improvement. I cannot see how or why he will be able to positively contribute to our chances this season.

As for his reserve displays, well yes he did score a few but from what Ive heard from somebody who saw him a couple of times in the stiffs he didn't look that good and also most of the reserve teams he scored against were made up of youth team players.

I do see what you are saying, and generally agree with you that he may not produce the goods, but in all fairness neither of us have any idea on how well he will do for Palace after a full pre-season with us.

He has showed potential in the lower leagues on occasions but he is getting on a bit on the age front - that doesn't mean that working with the right manager will not further improve him however.

Time will tell I guess. I hope you are wrong.

Jay_Palace
13-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Louis1974
. But I say Grabban should have a go at 3rd or 4th choice.

Absolutely.

If we ever were in a position where Andrews had to come in as a result of injuries/suspensions, then I would prefer to see Grabban given a go. He is young and with bags of potential. This is the kind of player that represents our future and could be the next big thing.

One of the great things about this club is that we have always had a strong academy and have always given the academy lads a chance to shine, and this has served us extremely well over the years.

Lion
13-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith
Can you explain why he coudln't score in League One then??

But he did. In 64 starts he got 25 goals. That's a 0.40% Goal to Goal ratio, which isn't actually that bad if you compare it to other players. His total Goal to Game ratio is 0.35%, Freedmans is 0.36...

Jay_Palace
13-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I do see what you are saying, and generally agree with you that he may not produce the goods, but in all fairness neither of us have any idea on how well he will do for Palace after a full pre-season with us.

He has showed potential in the lower leagues on occasions but he is getting on a bit on the age front - that doesn't mean that working with the right manager will not further improve him however.

Time will tell I guess. I hope you are wrong.

I don't take any pleasure in rubbishing players who play for this club, but by the same token I call things as I see them. I personally see nothing that will change my opinion of Mr Andrews.

I too hope to be proved wrong and if so, then I will be eating possibly one of the largest humble pies ever baked.

As you say, time will tell. If he ever gets a chance this season then despite my opinions of him he will have my full support.

Mackenuff
13-07-2005, 04:25 PM
But he did. In 64 starts he got 25 goals. That's a 0.40% Goal to Goal ratio, which isn't actually that bad if you compare it to other players. His total Goal to Game ratio is 0.35%, Freedmans is 0.36...

But they've played their careers leagues apart!!! No comparison. Andrews isn't fit to clean Dougie's boots I'm afraid.

Lion
13-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Mackenuff
But they've played their careers leagues apart!!! No comparison. Andrews isn't fit to clean Dougie's boots I'm afraid.

Maybe so - I'm just pointing out that people shouldn't say

"Why didn't he score in league 1 then", then he did infact score in League 1; which isn't that different to the CCC (look how well Plymouth did last year - hardly the same kind of gap as there is from the CCC to the Prem).

Baldy
13-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Exactly. I went to every game last season and saw him only for a few minutes. I am at a loss to understand why he is slagged off so much on this site when he hasnt proved himself one way or the other.

:confused: :confused:

macstar
13-07-2005, 04:35 PM
dont know why people give him such a hard time......

cos he's crap????

Mackenuff
13-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Maybe so - I'm just pointing out that people shouldn't say

"Why didn't he score in league 1 then", then he did infact score in League 1; which isn't that different to the CCC (look how well Plymouth did last year - hardly the same kind of gap as there is from the CCC to the Prem).

Fair point. Only time will tell how good/crap he is.

Don't think anyone can really judge the guy until he's played a few games at this level but I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say that I don't think he'll be any good for us.

As has been said, there are better players coming through the ranks that I would prefer to see given a chance, i.e. Grabban.

Balti Man
13-07-2005, 04:41 PM
It was a strange buy in the first place - perhaps just a very cheap back up striker in case we had a glut of injuries in the Prem, which thankfully we didnt. But he doesnt have a lot of potential at his age and i feel it would be more beneficial for the club to bring in youth team players for early round cup games, to be used as subs and in case of injury...

GreatGonzo
13-07-2005, 04:43 PM

34 goals in 89 starts and 42 sub appearences doesn't inspire too much confidence.

Nor does the fact that since appearing in the trainee;s of watford 11 years ago he has had loan spells with other clubs before going to a non-league side, the to Oldham 3 years ago.

We are the ONLY team to have ever paid a transfer fee for the guy!

Diehard
13-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Wayne scored with a stunning volley in the West Ham reserve game at Selhurst, which indicated that he has talent. Unfortunatley he ddin't show much else other than enthusiasm last year. There is no doubt that life in The Championship will suit him better but I doubt he'll see much action unless the main lads get injured.

cpfc_spc1982
13-07-2005, 04:44 PM
its amazing how a player with virtually zilch ability can make it to such a level.

Palacebird83
13-07-2005, 04:52 PM
He is an amazing player, his ability to change the game is great. Just a shame that Dowie doesnt give him more starts so he can shine and show his true talent. :D

silver
13-07-2005, 05:30 PM
i hope like any palace player, the best that he can.

we_8_brighton
13-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Sell him.

smileysmith
14-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by we_8_brighton
Sell him. We are the only club that has ever PAID a transfer fee for him. Methinks selling him is not an option ...

HIPEMENT
14-07-2005, 11:04 AM
WA aint crap this is where i know some of you dont actualy watch the matches... i forgot the team we played but it was at home WA came on and we wasnt winning anything in the air till he came on, he was getting his weight across getting to the ball and the defenders didnt kno what to do...

o'yea play him in his right place you moaned about AJ and england so why aint you ddoing it for WA

you lot say give TORG a try but you wont give WA a shout you lot make me laugh
bunch of hipocrites

AJ
14-07-2005, 12:44 PM
We are the only club that has ever PAID a transfer fee for him. Methinks selling him is not an option ...

did we? I thought he was an exchange for Gareth Williams and looking at GW's career since leaving Palace, we seem to have got the better part of the deal :confused:

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
14-07-2005, 12:44 PM
" Maybe he has a flair in the bootroom. "

A flair in the bottom more like...

smileysmith
14-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by HIPEMENT
you lot say give TORG a try but you wont give WA a shout you lot make me laugh
bunch of hipocrites ST is young. WA is nearly 30 ...
Can you imagine why we may want to give Sanyi a chance, over Wayne?

I personally have absolutely no dislike of Wayne Andrews, and would love him to prove me wrong and turn into a star for us. I just can't see that at 27 or whatever he is, that he is suddenly going to become a much better player. I live in hope though ...

Gark Moldberg
14-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Can you explain why he coudln't score in League One then??

He did and I saw it. It was a cracker against the 'weed.

How can people base their opinions on a guy that played for a poor Colchester side (oh alright, good by Colchester standards) and an Oldham side that was up the creek?

Eagle123
14-07-2005, 03:23 PM
He did very little for Colchester and Oldham though, so I really can't see him doing anything in the CCC. He will still be out of his depth.

It's quite funny, but I seem to remmeber an Aylesbury fan on hre a while ago [Ayesbury is of course where he was given his first chance by Bob Dowie] and even they said that he was a poor player by their standards!

He seems to have made a career on the fact that he's just not very good. Does he posess other qualities. Maybe he has a flair in the bootroom. ID discribes him as good to have around the dressing room. Can only assume he keeps spirits up and helps motivate as playing is not a strong point

stupalace
14-07-2005, 03:49 PM
hes good a mopping the dressing room floor

smileysmith
14-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Gark Moldberg
He did and I saw it. It was a cracker against the 'weed.

How can people base their opinions on a guy that played for a poor Colchester side (oh alright, good by Colchester standards) and an Oldham side that was up the creek? I meant score the number of goals that would warrant a step up at his age. I still hope to be proved wrong if that makes any difference.