PDA

View Full Version : Taking Bags Into Selhurst Park.

mapcontractor
21-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm flying over from the states to see Palace's first 2 games of the season. For the Luton game I will be travelling down from Norwich after staying with a couple of mates on the Friday. I will have a bag (small sports bag type) with me containing change of clothes etc... what is CPFC security policy on bringing 'oversized' bags/back-packs into Selhurst? Will it be a major hassle?

selhurst
21-07-2005, 04:48 PM
They will certainly be searched by the stewards/police at the turnstile.

TarquinTheEagle
21-07-2005, 05:02 PM
They will be searched by the stewards as 'selhurst' has just said. They wont be searched as in all your items of clothing taken out of the bag, but just incase they do, dont bring your tighty whiteys ;). You will also be 'searched'.

follow cpfc
21-07-2005, 05:16 PM
If you sit where is sit bolck B then you will be serched more than if you are sitting in the main stand

Forever Stripes
21-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Queue where there is a lady steward/policewomen ;)

follow cpfc
21-07-2005, 05:39 PM
LOL good advice

kong
21-07-2005, 05:42 PM
You'll be fine MPC, they're looking for booze/knives/BHA pendants.

Eagle123
21-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mapcontractor
I'm flying over from the states to see Palace's first 2 games of the season. For the Luton game I will be travelling down from Norwich after staying with a couple of mates on the Friday. I will have a bag (small sports bag type) with me containing change of clothes etc... what is CPFC security policy on bringing 'oversized' bags/back-packs into Selhurst? Will it be a major hassle? Expect security to be even tighter since London bombings. Last season they just looked in the bag. This season you may not be allowed in with one. Its up to police. Palace have no say on security

kong
21-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Eagle123
Expect security to be even tighter since London bombings. Last season they just looked in the bag. This season you may not be allowed in with one. Its up to police. Palace have no say on security

I really doubt it, TBH.

Whether they'll let you in with an American accent is another matter.

(I jest)

Nelson Muntz
21-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I take a rucksack into every home game. In it I have had plastic water bottles, flags, jackets that type of thing. The stewards always have a peek but I have never had a problem taking any bag into the ground. I sit in the Whitehorse.

redandblue
21-07-2005, 05:56 PM
You can leave it in the left property place which is a caravan behind the ticket collection point behind the main stand its free and the staff are brilliant

100% Palace
21-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by follow cpfc
If you sit where is sit bolck B then you will be serched more than if you are sitting in the main stand

Dont take a bag with me, but only been searched once in 5 years in block B.

Although i was once asked to take a "sober test*" by the old bill a few years back!!

*involving walking along the edge of the kerb without stumbling / falling off. I easily passed. Despite being off my face!!:p

mapcontractor
21-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by kong
I really doubt it, TBH.

Whether they'll let you in with an American accent is another matter.

(I jest)

I've only been in the US 4 years... still have the 'home counties' accent!!

Jaserob
21-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Where in Michigan Map?

I work for Ford in Minnesota and I spend quite a lot of time in Detroit on business trips

mapcontractor
21-07-2005, 08:38 PM
East Lansing... home of the Spartans!!

AlanD
21-07-2005, 08:53 PM
There getting into american talk, stay away lads :D

gjtango
21-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 100% Palace
Dont take a bag with me, but only been searched once in 5 years in block B.

Although i was once asked to take a "sober test*" by the old bill a few years back!!

*involving walking along the edge of the kerb without stumbling / falling off. I easily passed. Despite being off my face!!:p

:D

HIPEMENT
22-07-2005, 09:21 AM
if you to any lynx sure etc.... that will be takern for deffo because that stuff aint allowed in the stadium thats why you always see them on the floor

Stevieboy2
22-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by HIPEMENT
if you to any lynx sure etc.... ...........thats why you always see them on the floor

What does this mean?

Lynx, Jaguars, Panthers or just any large cats in general...

Stevieboy2
22-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I just got it now...

Why would you need to take Sure into the stadium. Isn't it supposed to last 24 hours?

I sense a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act.

Baldy
22-07-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm flying over from the states to see Palace's first 2 games of the season. For the Luton game I will be travelling down from Norwich after staying with a couple of mates on the Friday. I will have a bag (small sports bag type) with me containing change of clothes etc... what is CPFC security policy on bringing 'oversized' bags/back-packs into Selhurst? Will it be a major hassle?

There is an oversized bag who sits near us. She seems to get in to every game without much trouble.

:o :o

Stevieboy2
22-07-2005, 02:42 PM
:eek:

:p

welshneil
22-07-2005, 05:07 PM
what is CPFC security policy on bringing 'oversized' bags into Selhurst?

My mate's girlfriend got in fine!!! :D

Selhurst Celtic
22-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I know someone at Palace that's a chef by trade and if he's been working the day of a game he brings his work bag with him.
Obviously being a chef he has one of those canvas sheets that holds a fantastic array of different knives in all shapes and sizes which he puts at the bottom of the bag and puts his chef's gear (I can't think of a better word than 'pinny' :D) on top.
The stewards have a casual look at the clothes on top and just let him in. :eek:

HIPEMENT
23-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Stevieboy2
I just got it now...

Why would you need to take Sure into the stadium. Isn't it supposed to last 24 hours?

I sense a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act.

well away fans use to bring it and they use to get into a strop when they wasnt allowed to take it in,,, so with him coming from a mates yard with a bag i am just letting him know you aint allowed it

JohnA
24-07-2005, 06:20 AM
I usually have a bag & am rarely searched.
Although I expect that this season more seraches will take place.
They won't ban bags as many parents bring stuff for their kids.

Freddy Kurz
24-07-2005, 07:56 AM

There has been an ongoing policy at Selhurst Park for Club security
and police to inspect sizeable bags of any description, usually for
bottles, cans, knives etc. being taken into the stadium.
This has often depended on the team we are playing and whether
the police have had any prior intelligence of possible crowd trouble.
You may be absolutely certain that because of the recent London
bomb attacks and the highly publicised cancellation of Inter Milan's
tour, there will be enhanced security at our friendlies, and that
your bag WILL be searched. Believe there is a caravan in the
car park alongside the Main Stand, where banned belongings can
be deposited.

Aussie_Eagle
24-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Just leave it in the left luggage office in the caravan. I had to put a suitcase in there last season and had no problems at all.

norwood_girl
24-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Baldy
There is an oversized bag who sits near us. She seems to get in to every game without much trouble.

:o :o

Donuts ?? ;)

Palace_Brasted
24-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by norwood_girl
Donuts ?? ;)

You talking to the Yanks??

BlazeRIP
24-07-2005, 03:52 PM
R we allowed to take in tesco bags ?

norwood_girl
24-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Palace_Brasted
You talking to the Yanks??

ooops :o

And the answer to "tescos bags" is.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Everyone knows that Selhurst Park is Sainsbury's "Territory" :p

Palace_Brasted
24-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Just the mere mention on the word Donut and it send the yanks into a frenzy!! ;)

Baldy
25-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by norwood_girl
Donuts ?? ;)

:D :D :o :p ;) :moo:

snibz99
07-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know what the stewards are like with bags being bought into Selhurst these days?

Me and a few friends are heading straight off for the weekend after the game tomorrow - we'll have a bag each with fairly unexciting stuff like clean underwear, toiletries, sleeping bag etc

Thanks!

Dorking .Eagle
08-02-2014, 07:57 PM
As with all bags, expect it to be thoroughly searched.
If its not likely to go under your seat then it would be a hassle taking it in. There used to be a portacabin in the car park to leave large bags, big umbrellas and crash helmets etc, not sure if its still there though??

Jimmy Eagle
08-02-2014, 08:11 PM
As with all bags, expect it to be thoroughly searched.
If its not likely to go under your seat then it would be a hassle taking it in. There used to be a portacabin in the car park to leave large bags, big umbrellas and crash helmets etc, not sure if its still there though??

Is that a joke?! Basically, you can bring whatever you like into the ground because the the fellas on the turnstile (top of Holmesdale rd anyway) certainly won't look properly!

Latvian Eagle
08-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I took my bag to both the Stoke and Hull games... Strangely Stoke no one even checked it, yet a midweek Hull game the bloke was having a right root around. :confused:

Kirby
09-02-2014, 02:18 AM
I've taken all sorts of crap into the ground over the years. They have a token peek but in reality they really don't give a shit.

olly cromwell
09-02-2014, 07:04 AM
It depends where you sit tbh
I went into the main stand with my sainsburys bag of essentials to get me through the match and I didn't even see a steward as I went through the turnstiles, through the players lounge and up to my seat.
Which is sensible as there is never any trouble

Cube72
09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Only ever have my bag searched in the AW, they don't seem to bother in the Upper & Lower Holmesdale. When I say searched, I mean that I open the bag and the guy takes a quick glance. There's not a great deal of searching.

CPFC_DAVE77
09-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Only ever have my bag searched in the AW, they don't seem to bother in the Upper & Lower Holmesdale. When I say searched, I mean that I open the bag and the guy takes a quick glance. There's not a great deal of searching.

Quite, it is the most pointless of exercises…

T.C.
10-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Many years ago I went to a computer show at Earls Court in the morning before we were away to Chelsea in the afternoon and bought a large boxed printer which I then had to take to the game.

That was in the terrace days and there wern't that many Palace there - don't think I could do that now!

Anyone else taken strange things to a match?

Jimmy Eagle
10-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Many years ago I went to a computer show at Earls Court in the morning before we were away to Chelsea in the afternoon and bought a large boxed printer which I then had to take to the game.

That was in the terrace days and there wern't that many Palace there - don't think I could do that now!

Anyone else taken strange things to a match?

I once took a toaster into the ground

majaro
10-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I once took a toaster into the ground

Half time pies just didn't do it for you?

Eaglefoz
10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Never taken my Mother-in law to a game so cant help I am afraid.

hdeagle
10-02-2014, 03:43 PM
I had to leave all of my luggage in the Palace foyer after flying back from a holiday in Florida that afternoon.

I was praying for no delays to my flight or at Gatwick Customs and I just managed to make it by kick-off, it was well worth it as Palace beat Middlesborough 1-0 but I was flagging in the second half as jet-lag took over.

cupid stunt
10-02-2014, 04:36 PM
I usually get my carrier bag searched, but there's rarely much in it other than maybe a pickled onion or some nibbles. Just always handy to have as you never know when it'll come in handy. It's light, cheap and durable, I have hundreds at home but I tend to use the same one until it wears thin. Though I always carry a spare in my back pocket. Scotch egg anyone?

lanepe
10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
I was worrying as I had a large rucksack with me last Saturday after going to a marathon training session in London before the match. One of the stewards called me out of the queue even though I was nowhere near the front and I thought I might be about to be refused entry. Instead:

Whatcha got in the big bag mate?
Err, I've been to a running race in town so it's full of wet smelly running kit and a towel - do you want a look?
Nah, you're alright mate! In you go

Five minutes later I was distributing the weapons.

SE5eagle
10-02-2014, 05:12 PM
You can leave it in the left property place which is a caravan behind the ticket collection point behind the main stand its free and the staff are brilliant

^

This.

The gent with the glasses and white hair is an absolute legend.

:p

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSDUJhACYAEzAzN.jpg

SE5eagle
10-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Only 9 years too late with my advice then.

I'll get me coat.

Yoda
10-02-2014, 05:17 PM
I thought that photo was taken in the 70s until I saw fans wearing the current kit!

Hitchin Eagle
10-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Back in the 70s, I went to an away game at the den with a shoulder bag containing a crash helmet. A copper asked if I had anything else in there so I smiled and said just a few hand grenades. He smiled back and let me past. I would not rsik such humour these days.

Neil 154
10-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Back in the 70s, I went to an away game at the den with a shoulder bag containing a crash helmet. A copper asked if I had anything else in there so I smiled and said just a few hand grenades. He smiled back and let me past. I would not rsik such humour these days.

Seeing it was the Den , the copper probably hoped you really did have some hand grenades.

hdeagle
10-02-2014, 08:11 PM
We rode up to Norwich on our motorbikes and the Norwich steward asked my mate what the tools in his pocket were for, my mate replied if you rode a B.S.A A7 you would know that without your tools you could not guarantee that your bike would get you home.

He still confiscated them and he had to get them back from the office at the home end of Carrow Road after the game which Palace had won.

Palace fans used to leave bags and crash helmets in the Away Travel Porta -cabin which doubled up as a cloak-room.

Billingshurst
16-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Does anyone know if my daughter would be allowed to take a small wheely suitcase into the upper Holmesdale. She's coming to the game straight from Uni and there's no time after the match to go to a collection point around the ground or I'll miss my train and be late for work.

Yoda
16-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Does anyone know if my daughter would be allowed to take a small wheely suitcase into the upper Holmesdale. She's coming to the game straight from Uni and there's no time after the match to go to a collection point around the ground or I'll miss my train and be late for work.

They should want to check inside it, but they might also refuse to allow it in if it's too large to fit under a seat. It would be an obstruction.

There used to be somewhere you could leave stuff for collection after the match, but I see you don't want that.

pgw152
16-10-2015, 06:41 PM

I've brought in some massive backpacks no probs quite a few times