PDA

View Full Version : Darren Ward did not want to leave Millwall

gags
22-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Darren Ward has spoken to Southwark News and has said he did not want to leave Millwall but was told by Jeff Burnige "it was time to go".

He goes on to say moving to Palace was the best move out of all his options, including West Ham, but he would "never want anything bad to happen to Millwall".

Hope he manages to put his feelings"on hold" at least twice in the coming season....:)

Pikie Punisher
22-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by gags
but he would "never want anything bad to happen to Millwall".

Bet the meat heads aren't so keen to return the compliment.

JohnA
22-07-2005, 04:54 PM
He was loyal to his old team.

Lets make him feel right at home in his new team.

jabbski
22-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I know his cousin, who's family are palace supporters, I believe this was one of the reasons he also moved to palace. Good lad!

Selhurst Celtic
22-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Darren Ward Darren Ward flying through the air
Darren Ward Darren Ward with his pony hair
He's Palace and he's tall
He HATES millwall
Darren Ward Darren Ward Darren Ward

:D

Sir.S.C Remembered
22-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by JohnA
He was loyal to his old team.

Lets make him feel right at home in his new team.

Indeed. Apart from the fact it is Millwall we would love ex players to respect us this much as long as he doesn't go OTT with it. A raised hand if he gets a good reception at the New Den and a few lines of his feelings for them whilst also making positive comments about our club and that will be massively respected. Afterall I found it touching AJ didn't celebrate against Brum and would hope he would show us the same respect if ever the situation arose

davematt
22-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst Celtic
Darren Ward Darren Ward flying through the air
Darren Ward Darren Ward with his pony hair
He's Palace and he's tall
He HATES millwall
Darren Ward Darren Ward Darren Ward

:D

I like it!!!:lux:

Tommy Pickle
25-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by gags
Darren Ward has spoken to Southwark News and has said he did not want to leave Millwall but was told by Jeff Burnige "it was time to go".

He goes on to say moving to Palace was the best move out of all his options, including West Ham, but he would "never want anything bad to happen to Millwall".

Hope he manages to put his feelings"on hold" at least twice in the coming season....:)

Why was it time for him to go? Also surprised he chose to come to us over a move to the prem.

SKATE
25-07-2005, 10:56 PM
When I spoke to him on saturday he said he was glad to be at Palace. Stayed the longest in the pitch signing autographs after the game.

Tommy Pickle
25-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
When I spoke to him on saturday he said he was glad to be at Palace. Stayed the longest in the pitch signing autographs after the game.

Excellent news. For some reason i get just as excited about signing cenntre backs as i do when we sign forwards.

Neil the Eagle
25-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SKATE
Stayed the longest in the pitch signing autographs after the game.

And I can quite understand why he didn't fancy going back to the changers!

Justy C
25-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
And I can quite understand why he didn't fancy going back to the changers!

Can you elaborate on that please Neil?

sydney eagle
25-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
Can you elaborate on that please Neil? I think it has something to do with a quote I saw on here.Something along the lines of "the management thought ward had a "mare" "

wow,I just spoke like trolley with all the " " :D

gags
26-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Why was it time for him to go? Also surprised he chose to come to us over a move to the prem.
My girlfriend has thrown out the paper so I can't (use more " ") quote directly but if I remember correctly his Premiership consideration was West Ham but he has a relative there and would be competing for the same position in the squad.

Stayed the longest in the pitch signing autographs after the game.
Same article has him saying (something along the lines of) that he had thought long and hard about the move and it had not been a rash decision.

It seems he has made his mind up and is going for it now.

Excellent news.
Innit.

I think it has something to do with a quote I saw on here

It's funny the things that stick in your mind sometimes......;)

follow cpfc
26-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Him and Fitz will be solid as a rock at the back.

Jay_Palace
26-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by follow cpfc
Him and Fitz will be solid as a rock at the back.

Absolutely.

Strange that Dowie hasn't started with them both in defence so far in the friendlies, though.

Hopefully they will get the chance to play together in the Inter and West Ham games.

Tommy Pickle
03-08-2005, 07:49 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15794132&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=darren-s-den-fear--name_page.html

DARREN'S DEN FEAR
By Lee Reynolds
DARREN WARD reckons he had a lucky escape in quitting crisis club Millwall.

The former Lions defender joined local rivals Crystal Palace for 1.1million in May - one of six senior players to have left The Den since the end of last season.

Millwall have also been rocked by the departures of chairman Jeff Burnige and new boss Steve Claridge - just 36 days after he took over from Dennis Wise.

Ward, 26, said: "I had some good times there but I am better off out of it. I wasn't surprised that Steve went - nothing Millwall at the moment.

"He was possibly a casualty of the new regime but the way things are going anything is possible."

Tommy Pickle
03-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Very encouraging IMO.

Darren Ward

Position: Central defender
Record: Played: 64(4) Scored: 3
To: Millwall - 350,000 (plus increments) - September 2001
Career stats: Soccerbase
He was: Big and tall
17 September 1994. Watford v Luton Town. Faced with another injury crisis, Glenn Roeder fields youth team defender Gary Fitzgerald in the hope that he might fill his boots, preferably with something other than brown stuff. The Hornets are 3-1 down at half-time - not all one player's fault, granted - and Fitzgerald is substituted, never to be seen in first team action again.

20 April 1996. Luton Town v Watford. Faced with another injury crisis, Graham Taylor fields youth team defender Darren Ward and the packed away end holds its breath, fearing that history might be about to repeat itself. But, assisted by some generous finishing and an outstanding Steve Palmer performance, the lanky Ward helps to keep a clean sheet, even if the goalless draw effectively relegates both sides. Bizarrely, his next outing is also at Kenilworth Road and ends with the same result.

In a way, though, that was it. While a brief run of appearances in that second season under Kenny Jackett revealed much promise, Ward's progress was abruptly halted when he sustained a broken leg in a reserve match. It was a tackle for which he was booked, if I recall correctly. Referees, eh?

He returned, eventually, to find that Watford Football Club had changed radically in his absence. Graham Taylor had taken charge of the team again, the defence had been entirely restructured, eyes were looking upward. There was little chance for a young defender to establish himself. He made one substitute appearance in the Second Division Championship season (and that was in the Auto Windscreen Shield, so nobody was looking) and improved on that total only marginally during the next campaign, starting one league game. Really, it was time to move on.

From Graham Taylor downwards, the customary response to Ward's return from an extended loan at QPR was something along the lines of "F***ing hell! What's happened to him?". Somehow, Rangers had turned Ward from a tall, thin youngster into a broad, towering huge bloke. Naturally, we saw the results, thanked them for their hard work and refused their request for a permanent transfer. Darren Ward was back.

Along with Tommy Smith, his regular inclusion in the latter part of the doomed Premiership season was merciful cause for optimism. After a false start at Coventry, he returned from exile at Goodison Park. He was up against Mark Hughes. In the running battle that developed, thrillingly, Hughes came off second best. Although he'd yet to adjust to the pace and precision of top flight strikers, that hardly marked him out as unique and he was included for the rest of the season.

Back in Division One, he had his chance. It began well. At Wimbledon, he hurled himself into a fifty-fifty with John Hartson...and, to a great cheer from the away fans, Hartson bottled it. But the gradual disintegration of the team affected Ward more than anyone. Playing in a defence that was conceding absurd goals at an absurd rate, he was rarely the worst offender...but he shrunk noticeably, losing much of that immense physical presence as his confidence began to suffer. He never did fulfil that promise.

Personally, then, I don't regard his sale to Millwall as some kind of betrayal of basic principles. Darren Ward is inexperienced for his age, and he needs the chance of first team football. Rightly or wrongly, he falls some way down the pecking order at Vicarage Road - bearing in mind that Lloyd Doyley is currently occupying one of the defensive positions, it can hardly be said that Vialli is replacing homegrown talent with expensive imports. And, while it could be argued that Darren Ward would do no worse than the present lot, few of us can honestly have believed that the defence didn't require reconstruction after last season and even fewer can have been so naive as to imagine that there wouldn't be some casualties.

That said, it's sad that Darren Ward has been one of those casualties. Potentially a very fine, if slightly old-fashioned, defender. The list of clubs to keep an eye on continues to increase....

ANDYEAGLE
03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
Indeed. Apart from the fact it is Millwall we would love ex players to respect us this much as long as he doesn't go OTT with it. A raised hand if he gets a good reception at the New Den and a few lines of his feelings for them whilst also making positive comments about our club and that will be massively respected. Afterall I found it touching AJ didn't celebrate against Brum and would hope he would show us the same respect if ever the situation arose

One thing I can guarantee you is he wont be getting a good reception at the Den. The only time he would be likely to raise his hand would be if he has something lobbed at him.