PDA

View Full Version : Number 1 Curse to strike again?

CaptainCharisma
23-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Ok, i really believe the number 1 shirt is cursed. If a Goalkeeper is assigned the squad number of 1 then they are doomed. I read today that Gabor was to be sold to get rid of his high wages, which is why we are looking at Hislop. Now this generally doesn't make sense, as why give him a new 2 year deal and the number 1 jersey? But i think that number is cursed. Not since Kevin Miller have we really had a keeper with that number play regularly. Fraser Digby was a high number at first. He mat have had this number for a while, but not long. Stuart Taylor had it, but left after 3 months. Matt Clarke p0layed with a hig number. When he then got the number 1, he got injured and never really played again. Kolinko was always a high number. 2 seasons ago we didn't have one as Berthelin, Mhyre and Vaesan were all high numbers, and last season Speroni had it, and got dropped. Now Gabor has it, and if he is sold, then the curse will continue!!

Latvian Eagle
23-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I know what you mean.

Miller left before playing the season he had number 1, Digby played most of that season with number 13.

The next season Taylor was on loan, was shocking, and sent back Kolinko (35), and Gregg (21) played out the remainder.

Kolinko got the number 1 shirt but was replaced by Bruce with Matt Clarke (31), until injury struck, not to mention Carasso making a brief appearance in one game, I think he took over Gregg's 21 shirt.

Clarke took over number 1, but injury to him meant that Kolinko (13), Michopoulos (33), Schuerer (25), and Berthelin (33) all took up keepers jerseys at some point.

Then of course Clarke was again number 1 until he was forced to retire. Berthelin wore 13, Myhre came in at 25, and Vaesen had 28 I believe. :)

I agree number one has been cursed, especially if you look at Speroni's shocking start to last season. Very strange! I wonder if Hislop would take over Gabor's number 1. I guess it depends if/when Gabor goes. If not then the number 13 is of course still available. :p

CPFC_DAVE77
23-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Hmmmm, never heard about our #1 jersey being cursed. Though our #2 shirt is!! No-one in our team will wear it. Jamie Smith had it, and we all know where he ended up! Butts was #4, and he was our most consistent player, then he got #2 last year, and played bout half a match. Boyce and Butts have both rejected it this year, and thats why we have no #2! :p

Latvian Eagle
23-07-2005, 06:52 PM
This thread has brought back a lot of painful memories now! :( Oh how fond I was of Matty Clarke. What a keeper. He could have been one of the greats for his club.

It's interesting that someone said on here once that his knees were f***ed before he joined us.

I saw one of those Premiership years programmes on sky the other day and it was the season Bradford stayed up in the Prem, and one week they had Southall in goal because Clarke was out with a "troublesome knee injury".

I'd seriously worry if that's the case and we signed him, how did he pass the medical is what I want to know! :eek:

CPFC_DAVE77
23-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle
This thread has brought back a lot of painful memories now! :( Oh how fond I was of Matty Clarke. What a keeper. He could have been one of the greats for his club.

It's interesting that someone said on here once that his knees were f***ed before he joined us.

I saw one of those Premiership years programmes on sky the other day and it was the season Bradford stayed up in the Prem, and one week they had Southall in goal because Clarke was out with a "troublesome knee injury".

I'd seriously worry if that's the case and we signed him, how did he pass the medical is what I want to know! :eek:

Don't we all!!

Sussex Eagle
23-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Clarke was shite.

That is all.

CPFC_DAVE77
23-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Clarke was shite.

That is all.

Yeah, Kolinko was the man!! :p

welshneil
23-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by CPFC_DAVE77
Yeah, Kolinko was the man!! :p

:p :p :p

Mong!
23-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
Clarke was shite.

That is all.

I liked Clarke, he did make a few mistakes but bloody hell so did Kolinko!!!!

Palaceboy222
23-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Kolinko was a legend but Clarke was by far the greater keeper

El D
23-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Palaceboy222
Kolinko was a legend but Clarke was by far the greater keeper
I recall someone telling me when they were competing for the first team place that the stats told otherwise. I don't know who was the greater, but Kolinko was by far the funnier.

PhilD
24-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Clarke could have been an excellent signing had he stayed injury free.

alexthefatdawg
27-07-2005, 10:47 AM
This crap about numbers does my head in. Who cares who wears what effing number?