PDA

View Full Version : Richard Langley

Pages : [1] 2

MasterYoda
13-08-2005, 12:52 PM
South Wales Echo reporting that:

"It looks certain that Langley will sign for Crystal Palace early nmext week and he was saying goodbye to his club-mates after the Coca-Cola championship match against Watford last night"

Stevecpfc767
13-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Interesting...was atrocious at the crossbar challenge this morning!! :D

boxing francis
13-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Wouldnt be a bad signing, he has talent but there have been questions over his commitment in the past.

c_block_lad
13-08-2005, 01:04 PM
http://www.icons.com/langley/diary.html

Jay_Palace
13-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Hmm a strange one this.

Very naturally talented but has badly struggled at Cardiff and is also on a fair whack. However we would be able to pick him up cheaply and providing that we could get him back to his best, I wouldn't say no.

A midfielder who can create and can score goals.

BLUE BOY
13-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Could be the goal scoring midfielder we have been looking for.

MasterYoda
13-08-2005, 01:17 PM
if he performs to his best he's good, if not he's not.

also often shoved wide but never looks as good there.

EagleinOz
13-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by MasterYoda

also often shoved wide but never looks as good there.

so he's a direct replacement for Kollka then :clown:

Kai
13-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Wasn't he very good a QPR a few years ago?

Stevecpfc767
13-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Kai
Wasn't he very good a QPR a few years ago?

Yes!

Chris K
13-08-2005, 01:54 PM
sounds interesting, was very good at QPR wasn't he. Strange how no one has picked this up our end though

bananaman
13-08-2005, 01:56 PM
what position does he play & does it mention a fee?!

COME ON YOU EAGLES!! :p :lux: :D

John.K
13-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Could turn out to the player we have been looking for or perhaps not

honeysuckle
13-08-2005, 02:09 PM
http://www.myfootballnews.co.uk/news_jump.html?team_id=86&story=223690

He is leaving but there is no mention of us only Rangers

palacefan4life
13-08-2005, 02:15 PM
left-sided player

John.K
13-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Umm QPR to resign him?

Geezer
13-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Good player, I'd be happy with this one.

Velocity
13-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by EagleinOz
so he's a direct replacement for Kollka then :clown:

Er..no

honeysuckle
13-08-2005, 02:22 PM
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=158316&command=displayContent&sourceNode=158309&contentPK=12883720

on the Staffordshire Sentinel.

EagleinOz
13-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Velocity
Er..no

I think you missed my joke

MasterYoda
13-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by honeysuckle
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=158316&command=displayContent&sourceNode=158309&contentPK=12883720

on the Staffordshire Sentinel. that was a while back. never happened after.

also
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0600soccer/0200news/tm_objectid=15854264%26method=full%26siteid=50082-name_page.html

boxing francis
13-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Would be good to have some attacking flair in the central midfield position.

What?
13-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Can he take a corner by any chance?

75points
13-08-2005, 04:01 PM
could be good but still think we need a workhouse - in the Keith Rowalnds mould for this division.

limited_edition
13-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by palacefan4life
left-sided player Could have sworn he played wide right for QPR all those years ago. Maybe my mind's playing tricks on me. Good signing if we get him in any case.

AJ
13-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Maybe we are swapping him for Jobi ........

Freddy Kurz
13-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
Hmm a strange one this.

Very naturally talented but has badly struggled at Cardiff and is also on a fair whack. However we would be able to pick him up cheaply and providing that we could get him back to his best, I wouldn't say no.

A midfielder who can create and can score goals.

...and no doubt is well acquainted with Jobi McAnuff!

darren_j
13-08-2005, 05:08 PM
He plays in the middle. Was pretty good at QPR. Don't know what happened to him.

palacefan4life
13-08-2005, 05:12 PM
no he definately plays out wide.....

boxing francis
13-08-2005, 05:13 PM
He has played in only wide roles for Cardiff as far as I know but he can play central midfield.

What?
13-08-2005, 05:39 PM
On Soccer AM today Cardiff did the crossbar challenge and he introduced himself as a Central Midfielder! I remember as I thought then, "isnt he quite good? Maybe he can do a job for us?"

Clapham Grand
13-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Tis true - looks like this one is happening over the next couple of days

Jay_Palace
13-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand

Good stuff. He won't cost much because they're pretty happy to get rid of him.

Like I said I'll be happy to welcome him aboard.

HHHH
13-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Any idea of the fee?

Neil 154
13-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by darren_j
He plays in the middle. Was pretty good at QPR. Don't know what happened to him.

He was the Rs star player for a while. Much was expected of him

cooper83
13-08-2005, 09:04 PM

Fantastic news - always remember him being excellent at Rangers, but I sort of lost track of his progress at Cardiff. I'm sure at Rangers he was deployed in the centre of the park?

Gooders
13-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Not sure he's done much at Cardiff but I wanted us to sign him before they did.

I do recall a game at Selhurst Park a few years back when he totally dominated the middle of the park, but that was a long time ago and probably flattered him.

GreatGonzo
13-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Was great at QPR damaged his cruciate ligament was out for justy over a year and never looked teh same again.

Its a signing for signings sake - we dominated central midfield today, why bring in another? He is not guaranteed to score goals averages a goal every 8/9 games and i think our central mid today looked very very good!

HHHH
13-08-2005, 09:16 PM
I think I read somewhere that he has a bit of an attitude problem. Him and Julian Gray became best pals when Gray was on loan at Cardiff.

maestro
13-08-2005, 09:19 PM
great news, havent seen him recently but last time i saw him he was a goal scoring skillfull midfield player who could run with the ball

Sandowneagle
13-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Richard Langley = pile of poo

follow cpfc
13-08-2005, 10:53 PM
He was a class player when he was at QPR. I would be happy to see him at Palace. We need a midfielder after all. And we could do a lot worse than Richard Langly.

zonin2000
13-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
we dominated central midfield today
Might say more about Norwich's (lack of a) central midfield, than ours.

palacefan4life
13-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
Richard Langley = pile of poo

what exactly are you judging this on....?

Boyandy
13-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Best mate is a QPR fan - on his day he is amazing but has a tendency to only exhibit this when he feels like it.

Hopefully Dowie can coach this out of him though.

Benzhiyi
13-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Its a signing for signings sake - we dominated central midfield today, why bring in another? He is not guaranteed to score goals averages a goal every 8/9 games and i think our central mid today looked very very good!

Oh FFS.

We've been crying out for a new central midfielder for three years and suddenly don't need one because of one decent game?

Watson and Leigertwood are promising but won't win us the title (did you open your eyes at all during the Luton game?!!), Hughes is getting on, and Aki's never managed a full season. Given that, a creative goalscoring midfielder would be a SUPERB signing.

3rd_Lion
13-08-2005, 11:54 PM
i think our central mid today looked very very good!

Couldnt agree with you more gonzo. Leigertwood was superb today and I would confidently say probably our man of the match!

However I still think Ben Watson is too lightweight and gives the ball away very cheaply, being a very weak link in the middle when not in possesion!

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Benzhiyi
Watson and Leigertwood are promising but won't win us the title (did you open your eyes at all during the Luton game?!!), Hughes is getting on, and Aki's never managed a full season. Given that, a creative goalscoring midfielder would be a SUPERB signing.

Erm yes i saw just over 90 minutes of the Luton game.

creative goalscoring mifielder?
We are talking about Langley - Wake up!

Funny how you think everything i say is ridiculous yet i am far from alone in thiose opinions and am regularly PROVED right - maybe I know a little more about the game than you ive me credit for! :rolleyes:

Langley will not improve the side long term. Would far rather Watson be given his chance, as with Borrowdale, as with Leigertwood to see if they can develop into premiership quality players.

If you think Langley is good enough fro the premiership then you are seriously deluded and if we want to get into the premiership and stay there we need to be looking for players who can play in that division!

N Herts Eagle
14-08-2005, 07:12 AM
[i]

If you think Langley is good enough fro the premiership then you are seriously deluded and if we want to get into the premiership and stay there we need to be looking for players who can play in that division! [/B]

If you want to get into the premiership you sometimes need a player or two that are bloody good CCC players who will not necessarily play for you when you are up there in our recent history Andy Lingahan, Shipps, Derry, Nash, guys who give you solid performances regularly not spectacular but guys who grind out a good game everytime they play never going to have the ability to step up that bit extra though.

Benzhiyi
14-08-2005, 09:00 AM
If you think Langley is good enough fro the premiership then you are seriously deluded and if we want to get into the premiership and stay there we need to be looking for players who can play in that division!

You make it sound so simple.

Given the likes of Paul Scholes and Frank Lampard seem quite happy in their current contracts, it's impossible for us bring in proven Premiership players. We could go out and spend a huge wad on someone like Lee Clark, but whose to say he'll be any better at that level in the long run than Langley? Certainly not you, Mystic Meg.

More to the point, the first priority (which seems to have flown miles over your head) is to get out of the Championship. There's no point planning for the Premiership until we've achieved that, and Langley is the sort of player who can aid that ambition.

stwilley
14-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by MasterYoda
South Wales Echo reporting that:

"It looks certain that Langley will sign for Crystal Palace early nmext week and he was saying goodbye to his club-mates after the Coca-Cola championship match against Watford last night"

Maybe Jobi recommended him. If he's half as good as Jobi I'll be happy. He was awesome at Wolves:p

gcwhite
14-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Benzhiyi 1-0 Gonzo
(Gonzo o.g.)

hughff
14-08-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm keen(ish) because he really was a good at QPR but seemed to lose his way later.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 11:28 AM

Given the likes of Paul Scholes and Frank Lampard seem quite happy in their current contracts, it's impossible for us bring in proven Premiership players. We could go out and spend a huge wad on someone like Lee Clark, but whose to say he'll be any better at that level in the long run than Langley? Certainly not you, Mystic Meg.

More to the point, the first priority (which seems to have flown miles over your head) is to get out of the Championship. There's no point planning for the Premiership until we've achieved that, and Langley is the sort of player who can aid that ambition.

Or the other option which most people on here are determined never ever to use is to develop your own young players!

Richard Langley - 26 - never got it back since injury (same with Clarke Carlisle) unlikely to ever make it in the premiership.

Mikele Leigertwood - 23 - getting better ever game, developing into a very very good centre mid. Might develop into a premiership player.

Ben Watson - 20 - So far he has got better as the 3 games have gone onafter a disaster of pre season. Starting to find his feet.

What you want to do is go out and buy Langley, who might or might not improve the squad, then HAVE to go out and buy ANOTHER centre Mid if we go up cos none of ours are good enough?

Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Wright-Phillips all playing regularly at 20, being given their opportunities now England internationals. Beckham playing in the CCC the year before he broke into teh Utd squad. Our young players HAVE to be given teh chance and signing Langley only makes sense if you put him staribght in teh side and that would be at teh expense of the youngsters.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by N Herts Eagle
If you want to get into the premiership you sometimes need a player or two that are bloody good CCC players who will not necessarily play for you when you are up there in our recent history Andy Lingahan, Shipps, Derry, Nash, guys who give you solid performances regularly not spectacular but guys who grind out a good game everytime they play never going to have the ability to step up that bit extra though.

Danny Granville? (as he is over 30 now, still could do a job in premiership for a year or two)
Mark Hudson
Tony Popovic
Dougie Freedman
John Macken (question marks over if he is good enough for the prem)
Aki (is he good enough for the prem? we needed 5 in midfield last time!)
Michael Hughes
Danny Butterfield

Thats 8 players already in the catagory you mention. a player or two you say?

zonin2000
14-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Richard Langley - 26 - never got it back since injury (same with Clarke Carlisle) unlikely to ever make it in the premiership.
You make direct comparisons between players, teams, managers and situations far to readily and directly, without assessing other factors. It's not that simple.

signing Langley only makes sense if you put him staribght in teh side and that would be at teh expense of the youngsters.
Youngster's who probably won't manage 46 league games this season. Yes, I know we have Hughes and Aki, but I think Langley would improve the depth of our squad, and his versatility will be useful.

Absolution
14-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Or the other option which most people on here are determined never ever to use is to develop your own young players!

Mikele Leigertwood - 23 - getting better ever game, developing into a very very good centre mid. Might develop into a premiership player.

Ben Watson - 20 - So far he has got better as the 3 games have gone onafter a disaster of pre season. Starting to find his feet.

What you want to do is go out and buy Langley, who might or might not improve the squad, then HAVE to go out and buy ANOTHER centre Mid if we go up cos none of ours are good enough?

Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Wright-Phillips all playing regularly at 20, being given their opportunities now England internationals. Beckham playing in the CCC the year before he broke into teh Utd squad. Our young players HAVE to be given teh chance and signing Langley only makes sense if you put him staribght in teh side and that would be at teh expense of the youngsters.
I agree that Watson and Mikele can only get better... and if Watson's shots like yesterdays hit the net we have a midfield goalscorer. So therefore if Langley is going to join us and play like he did for QPR hes a decent signing but its down to whether he can regain that form and make it in the Prem which Watson I think has the capability of doing at his age.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
You make direct comparisons between players, teams, managers and situations far to readily and directly, without assessing other factors. It's not that simple.

Youngster's who probably won't manage 46 league games this season. Yes, I know we have Hughes and Aki, but I think Langley would improve the depth of our squad, and his versatility will be useful.

If it is not that simple, put the arugument in - you have said i am wrong but not given a different view!

The youngsters will probably make 30 odd games, if needed, leaving 16 plaus cup matches for the others.

CM
Leggy
Watson
Aki
Hughes
Soares
Danze

You are suggesting more depth to the part of the squad that has the MOST depth!

Benzhiyi
14-08-2005, 11:54 AM

Michael Hughes took two years out of the game and was written off by many, yet played a key role in almost keeping us up last season despite being in his mid-thirties.

Did you watch Watford vs Cardiff the other night? Clarke Carlisle was the best payer on the pitch. If he helps Watford get to a play-off position, I bet their fans won't be slagging him off.

You keep banging on about how Watson and Leigertwood might be good enough for the Premiership, totally missing the point (AGAIN!!) that we have an extremely tough job to get there first. If Langley can add depth to the squad and help us to complete that job, then he is a good signing. Full stop.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Absolution
So therefore if Langley is going to join us and play like he did for QPR hes a decent signing but its down to whehter he can regain that form

If he hasn't regained that form in thepast 3.5 seasons it is a big big risk thinking he will suddenly find it now, especially as he now cannot even make the Cardiff bench! (is he injured? if not why has he not been in the squad for any game this season)

In that time he has scored 10 goals in League 1, and managed in the past 2 seasons, 6 goals and then last year only 2 as he only played marginally over half the games.

zonin2000
14-08-2005, 12:01 PM
You know, a change of scenery sometimes helps, Gonzo.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 12:10 PM
You keep banging on about how Watson and Leigertwood might be good enough for the Premiership, totally missing the point (AGAIN!!) that we have an extremely tough job to get there first. If Langley can add depth to the squad and help us to complete that job, then he is a good signing. Full stop.

And you (AGAIN) are saying we should add depth to the area we have most depth and all the time we spend on this transfer is time we SHOULD be spending on the areas we do need a player!

Did Hughes take 2 years out? I thought it was 1 year (2002/03) enforced by the contract issue and he was only injured for a couple of months of that.

Different to someone who was out for 12 months with cruciate damage!

Oh and yes i did watch the Watford cardiff match the othe rnight, and thought Clarke Carlisle was quite solid. And i very much doubt (but i could be wrong) that watford will make a play-off posoition. We are talking about a player who was rated teh best defender outside the premiership prior to the injury and premiership socuts were looking at both at the time. Now they are CCC players and likely to be all they will ever be.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 12:12 PM
You know, a change of scenery sometimes helps, Gonzo.

Erm what you mean moving clubs could help?

Yes maybe, maybe he misses London and hates Wales, but he didn't set the world alight at QPR after he recovered and he hasn't done anything much at Cardiff after he moved. This just seems a hell of a risk when you are spending money (which could go to other areas of greater need) and could push our younger players - who are developing out of the team!

Sandowneagle
14-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Erm what you mean moving clubs could help?

Yes maybe, maybe he misses London and hates Wales, but he didn't set the world alight at QPR after he recovered and he hasn't done anything much at Cardiff after he moved. This just seems a hell of a risk when you are spending money (which could go to other areas of greater need) and could push our younger players - who are developing out of the team!

GG - I'm not sure he ever really had it even before the injury. He had a purple patch that was as much about luck as class. I've seen him a few times and apart from a good few months a few years back he has never delivered. He has a poor first touch, can't pass and can't tackle. I agree with your last comment.

Adlerhorst
14-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Have to agree with GG here. Think he might hinder Watson's development.

Though i have no objection is he is on a free, low wages, and is being brought in as a squad player.

limited_edition
14-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Adlerhorst
Have to agree with GG here. Think he might hinder Watson's development. But he can play wide as well. His versatility will be an asset.

Latvian Eagle
14-08-2005, 12:54 PM
For once I have to admit I'm agreement with BenZhiyi, and Zonin on this one. I'd like to see him at Palace.

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
But he can play wide as well. His versatility will be an asset.

Have to say i have not seen him out wide, not sure how often he has played there, when playing for QPR he was always in the centre.

I know he played against us both games a couple of years ago, i thought he partnered Kananagh in the middle and i know which was more memorable from BOTH thise games!

zonin2000
14-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
GG - I'm not sure he ever really had it even before the injury. He had a purple patch that was as much about luck as class. I've seen him a few times and apart from a good few months a few years back he has never delivered. He has a poor first touch, can't pass and can't tackle. I agree with your last comment.
He played well for Cardiff against us at Selhurst in our promotion season.

Freddy Kurz
14-08-2005, 02:50 PM
If he hasn't regained that form in thepast 3.5 seasons it is a big big risk thinking he will suddenly find it now, especially as he now cannot even make the Cardiff bench! (is he injured? if not why has he not been in the squad for any game this season)

In that time he has scored 10 goals in League 1, and managed in the past 2 seasons, 6 goals and then last year only 2 as he only played marginally over half the games.

What precisely was wrong with Langley's form at Cardiff in season
2003-04 when he played 44 games for Cardiff and scored 6 goals?
That season only ended 18 months ago! Am just wondering what
is your agenda? Are you Graham's agent? But no you can't be
because only very recently you were very critical of that player's
passing etc!
My only concern with Langley is his current level of fitness after
his cruciate damage, but I'm quite sure the Dowies and Harbin
would make sure he is capable of competing in a CCC season
before they risked signing him.
Granville hasn't appeared yet in a Palace first team squad, but
that doesn't mean he won't quite soon!
Clubs about to move on one of their valuable assets often
keep them out of first-team action.....

GreatGonzo
14-08-2005, 03:07 PM
his injury was 3 and half years ago.

6 goals was doesn't suggest the goal scoring midfielder we need. Aki managed 4 in the premiership! If he was scoring 10 a season in CCC then i would agree!

gold76
14-08-2005, 03:09 PM
A surprise one for me, but I always thought he was pretty classy at QPR. Will add depth to the squad. I agree with N Herts Eagles comment that you need solid pros to get out of this division.

cpfc_spc1982
14-08-2005, 03:10 PM
hes got ability, he thinks he has alot more than he actually does have. best position probably in the middle.
if hes bought at the expense of watson in the team, id rather it didnt happen.

follow cpfc
14-08-2005, 05:08 PM
He would be brilliant if we could sign him

AndyStreet
14-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Langley will not improve the side long term. Would far rather Watson be given his chance, as with Borrowdale, as with Leigertwood to see if they can develop into premiership quality players.

It'd be good if Borrowdale could prove himself good enough for even League One first.

Freddy Kurz
14-08-2005, 05:23 PM

6 goals was doesn't suggest the goal scoring midfielder we need. Aki managed 4 in the premiership! If he was scoring 10 a season in CCC then i would agree!

Freddy Kurz
14-08-2005, 06:09 PM

What world are you living in? How many CCC midfielders can you name
(without looking up a record book) score 10 League goals per
season? How many Palace midfielders, over the past 7 seasons
have totalled over 6 goals per season, irrespective of League?
Let me assist you: ONE - Mullins with 10 (incldg 2 pens.).
The full record reads as follows:
98/9: Mullins 4; 99/00: Mullins 10; 2000/01: Black 4; 01/02: Riihilahti 5,
Kirovski 5; 02/03: Black 6, Gray 5; 03/04: Routledge 6; 04/05:Riihilahti 5.
A midfielder capable of regularly scoring 10 goals a season in the CCC
is likely by now to be playing in the Premier League and worth 3-4m +!
Would you agree that Sheffield United have built up a reputation as a
club which has produced a number of sought-after midfielders in
recent years? As a matter of interest, I looked up the goal tallies
of their most well-known midfielders in the 2003-04 season, when
they finished 8th in the First Division and before they sold Brown to
'Spurs for 3m (by the way at that point in his career he had scored
31 goals in 267 games- a ratio of just ONE goal to every 8.6 matches
or 5.3 goals per 46 game season!)
United's midfield goal-aces in 2003-04 were:
Tonge 4, Jagielka 3, Montgomery 3, Brown 2 (2pens), McCall 2 -
need I go on?.........
No, I would welcome a FIT Langley weighing-in with 6 goals a season
(or more if he could manage it!)

Stevecpfc767
14-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Calm down Freddy! ;)

Thanks for the good facts though!

Mr Palace
14-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Our midfield is, without doubt, the weakest aspect of our squad. We have a number of youngsters occupying the midfield slots who are clearly not up to the required standard of a side looking to gain promotion.

I still can't believe we are persevering with Leggy and Soares and I'm praying we sign a couple of quality players to get them out of the team. I've always had high hopes that Watson will turn into a very good player but he doesn't seem to have progressed much in the last two years for me. Therefore, I think we certainly need to strengthen the midfield. We may be well off in numerical terms in midfield, but I'd say that Hughes is the only player of real quality there - and he's not exactly had a brilliant start to the season.

maxpower
14-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Why are people saying will this hinder Watsons improvement! How many times have you lot been saying we need a midfielder in and now were linked with one you don't think we need one WTF

Lion
14-08-2005, 08:42 PM

Great post. Agree with it all - would be a good signing for us.

Walrus
14-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Ben Watson is not yet consistently good enough to be considered "better" than a fit and comitted Richard Langley, IMO.

RL's fitness and comittment are the key issues here.

If (when) this is confirmed, I'd be happy to see him sign.

Gazza2
15-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Greta player, was on verge of going to a big club b4 bad injury few seasons back. Thought he was always best oppo player when we used to play QPR.

kolinkins
15-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Would be a super signing. Watson appears to be getting better each game, but Langley would certainly, for right here right now, be a better option.

follow cpfc
15-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Langly and Leggy in midfield would be good

hernehilleagle
15-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Would like to see him come.

Pikie Punisher
15-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by hernehilleagle
Would like to see him come.

Perve :eek: !!

sydnsteve
15-08-2005, 11:32 AM
He certainly has ability, but inconsistency is his problem. We already have our own TB for that role.

maxpower
15-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Why wasn't he playing on friday?!

GreatGonzo
15-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Maxpower,

The question is why has he not even made the bench for ANY game this season? Either he is injured, in which case do we want him? or he is not even good enough for the bench where an unfit Jason Koumas sits!

Kevan Woz Awful
15-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by maxpower
Why wasn't he playing on friday?!

Can't afford to play him perhaps?

Cardiff are trying to reduce their wage bill drastically, which is why we got Jobi on the cheap.

cpfc_spc1982
15-08-2005, 11:49 AM
hes got an ankle injury from pre season.

dufski13
15-08-2005, 02:57 PM
does this look likely ? I think he would be a good signing, he was quality for QPR. They were gutted when he left them.

davey
15-08-2005, 07:06 PM
A NEWS REPORT FORM CARDIFF CITY.COM

Langley and Fleetwood on way out

Story by Michael Morris 14 August 2005

Newspaper reports claim.

Saturday's Echo say that Richard Langley said goodbye to his City team mates after the Watford game and he's expected to follow Jobi McAnuff to Crystal Palace.

They also claim that Stuart Fleetwood will be loaned out to Cheltenham Town.

RickyB
15-08-2005, 07:07 PM
AATOT

nomad
15-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Mr Palace
Our midfield is, without doubt, the weakest aspect of our squad. We have a number of youngsters occupying the midfield slots who are clearly not up to the required standard of a side looking to gain promotion.

I still can't believe we are persevering with Leggy and Soares and I'm praying we sign a couple of quality players to get them out of the team. I've always had high hopes that Watson will turn into a very good player but he doesn't seem to have progressed much in the last two years for me. Therefore, I think we certainly need to strengthen the midfield. We may be well off in numerical terms in midfield, but I'd say that Hughes is the only player of real quality there - and he's not exactly had a brilliant start to the season.

Funny that. all the Sunday papers that I read (not NOTW) said that Soares had a good game. Someone, obviously, believes in him otherwise he would not have made the England squad. Agree with you about Watson although I don't think Dowie gave him much of a chance last season. Aki is too injury prone and Leigertwood still cannot pass the ball. Need someone who can pass the ball around, but do not know who is available.

BLOKE
15-08-2005, 07:26 PM
what the f**k does AATOT mean ? and yes langley would be a good signing

m355y
15-08-2005, 09:34 PM
I can't understand how Cardiff are working - they sign two pretty impressive players in Koumas and Purse, and then start going on about reducing the wage bill and not being able to afford players. Okay so Koumas is probably getting some of his wages paid by WBA, but still.

Although if you benefit by it who's to argue really, Langley has looked pretty lively every time I've seen him, have seen him out wide, in the centre....he seems versitile enough and his goalscoring record is quite decent - could be a good one.

RickyB
15-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by BLOKE
what the f**k does AATOT mean ? and yes langley would be a good signing Already a thread on this. :rolleyes:. Now there's only one thread because it's been merged.

Marc
15-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by m355y
Although if you benefit by it who's to argue really, Langley has looked pretty lively every time I've seen him, have seen him out wide, in the centre....he seems versitile enough and his goalscoring record is quite decent - could be a good one.

I wonder how far away you were from slipping a 'we' or 'us' in there? :D

limited_edition
15-08-2005, 11:40 PM
So, when are we signing him, then ? Or is this gonna be a typically Palace style drawn out transfer saga ? ;)

Gooders
16-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by m355y
I can't understand how Cardiff are working - they sign two pretty impressive players in Koumas and Purse, and then start going on about reducing the wage bill and not being able to afford players. Okay so Koumas is probably getting some of his wages paid by WBA, but still.

Had to laugh this morning when I was reviewing the withdrawals from the Wales squad - "so and so (ankle)", "whatshisname (hamstring)", "Koumas (unfit)". :D

bendyjoe
16-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Its in the sun this morning, twice bizarrely, that we are close to signing this guy. Which begs the question, do they know this, or are they just reading the BBS?

Beanie
16-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
hes got an ankle injury from pre season.
TOTALLY UNFOUNDED in the sense of no inside source, but I spoke to a guy who lives up the valleys a bit from Cardiff. RUMOUR in that area is that the extent of Langley's "injury" is closely linked to an appearence (or similar, bit vague) payment being triggered. Appears he did take a knock but really should be playing by now according to original reports.

Kevan Woz Awful
16-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
........................RUMOUR in that area is that the extent of Langley's "injury" is closely linked to an appearence (or similar, bit vague) payment being triggered. ...................

Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful 15-08-2005 12:43 PM
Can't afford to play him perhaps?..............

I think I must be invisible - no one listens to me.......:sob:

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Hes made 72 appearances for Cardiff so i would have thought he could make 2 more.

Anyone know why he didn't play for 4 months last year? Played the second half of the season but only scored twice in 23 appeanaces after Boxing Day, both against pretty poor opposition (Burnley, Plymouth)

Radders
16-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
I think I must be invisible - no one listens to me.......:sob:

Did i hear something??

Naaah, must be my imagination.

:D

cookie1981
16-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Crystal Palace manager Iain Dowie will turn to Cardiff's Richard Langley as he looks to beef up his squad for the Championship season.

Jamaican international Langley has been told he can leave Ninian Park just two years after a 200,000 move from QPR.

The 25-year-old - who has five caps for his country - has started 66 games for the Welsh club since leaving London, scoring eight goals, and would be tempted by a move back to the capital.

Langley was this summer linked with a move back to QPR but Dowie hopes to hijack the move and said: "In terms of new signings we are working on one or two fronts.

"We are hopeful things will happen sooner rather than later."

Former West Ham midfielder Steve Lomas was on trial at Selhurst Park during pre-season but is now on the verge of a move to Burnley.

boxing francis
16-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Id like us to sign him but I really hope this one doesnt drag on and on.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 03:01 PM
A mate of mine is a QPR fan and he said Langley was quality when he was playing there and was gutted when he left, also got a Cardiff mate who says he has the potential but never looked as if he was trying when he was on the pitch

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Gabor The King
A mate of mine is a QPR fan and he said Langley was quality when he was playing there and was gutted when he left, also got a Cardiff mate who says he has the potential but never looked as if he was trying when he was on the pitch

There is the issue a player of undoubted ability 5 years ago, you QPR mate is right.

Recently your cadiff mates views would be more relevant i think!

Jay_Palace
16-08-2005, 03:14 PM

It's interesting to note that Cardiff fans were saying the same kind of thing about McAnuff when he left and how they wern't sorry to see him leave.

It could well be that he and Langley didn't enjoy playing and living in Cardiff [I don't know why exactly, it's a really nice place] and will fulfil their potential in London.

It seems to be working for Jobi, so I see no reason why Langley wouldn't be a hit at Palace.

The bottom line is that if we manage to get a player of his undoubted clas for a nominal fee and on reasonable wages, then it will be a good move by the club.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I hope if he comes he can rediscover (if thats the right way to put it) his form while he was at QPR as his record for Cardiff of 66 games 8 goals doesnt say much about him being a goalscoring midfielder which some people seem to think he is, I think he would be a great addition but only time could tell what magic Mr.Dowie could work on him

Jay_Palace
16-08-2005, 03:19 PM
I hope if he comes he can rediscover (if thats the right way to put it) his form while he was at QPR as his record for Cardiff of 66 games 8 goals doesnt say much about him being a goalscoring midfielder which some people seem to think he is, I think he would be a great addition but only time could tell what magic Mr.Dowie could work on him

8 goals in 66 games for an average side is a pretty good record and about the best we could hope to get, without spending a few million quid.

Consistent goalscoring midfielders are about the most valuable comodity in the game.

Gooders
16-08-2005, 03:21 PM
8 goals in 66 games for an average side is a pretty good record and about the best we could hope to get, without spending a few million quid.

Consistent goalscoring midfielders are about the most valuable comodity in the game.

I was going to say, a goal every 8 games is a lot more than our current midfielders manage!

timmy heald
16-08-2005, 03:23 PM

Just had exactly the same conversation with mate at work, who is also QPR. Said he had talent but a bad attitude, especially once he reached the first team. Playing against the big boys he would raise his game, against the small teams he wouldn't bother.

Now this is a while ago, but we both agreed that if anyone could deal with him, Dowie could. All in all, worth a punt in my book.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I would be interested in his stats for when he was at QPR, scoring from midfield I feel is always a luxury only big clubs can afford but if he can create the chances we have a handful of forwards who could finish these chances off

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
I was going to say, a goal every 8 games is a lot more than our current midfielders manage!

Aki almost did last year,
Routledge the year before
Gray, Routledge and Black the year before that
Smith, Kirovski (Aki almost did) in 2001/2
2000/1 we struggled from midfield
Mullins 10 from midfeild in 1999/2000
Curcic and Mullins managed it in 89/99
Only Lombardo managed it in the premiershipin 97/98
Hopkin hit 13 from midfield in 96/97

Only once in that last decade have we failed to have someone score at that level in this division. We have the potential to score at that level in Watson and McAnuff. Leigertwood will get a couple. Our trouble comes on the other flank where i do not see Soares scoring 5/6 goals. If Langley is coming in for the wide role (which i don't think he will) it is not too bad but there are better players for that position!

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I would be interested in his stats for when he was at QPR, scoring from midfield I feel is always a luxury only big clubs can afford but if he can create the chances we have a handful of forwards who could finish these chances off

his season after his first injury, he scored 10 goals and had 10 assists this was in the then second division though. before that is was pretty poor.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 03:36 PM

18 goals in 133 appearances!

His career is pretty even (between clubs) but works out at an average of 5/6 goals a season.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Kolkka was originally bought in as a goal scoring midfielder and i think he could do a good job for us down either flank with McAnuff on the other, both are very good on either foot and like to run at defenders

Lion
16-08-2005, 03:39 PM

Apps: 123 (10 Sub): 18 Goals.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 03:45 PM
thanks for the stats, 5/6 goals a season is better than none, if every midfielder we have could score that it would be great, the next dilemma is with the squad rotation as the amount of players fighting for 1st team places would be quite big, would this cause inconsistency as it would never be the same team playing?

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 03:54 PM
3 of our midfielders should be getting upwards of 5 going towards 10. leigertwood can get away without scoring if he is protecting the defence to good affect.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 04:07 PM
McAnuff is already on the scoresheet so chalk him up for 1 already, Watson is finding his feet (quickly and well) over the last couple of games, could well see him score in the next few games if he keeps improving. Leggy will get chances but miss quite a few but looks like he can bag 3/4 throughout the season. It leaves a void on the other flank where i am not confident of Soares scoring (Bentley?)

Utimately with our defense we should not conceed more than about 35-40 goals, we will need therefore to score about 70.

25 from AJ
15 from Macken
10 defence (headers from corners)
leaving about 20 goals needed from midfield.

Obviously any scored by Freedman/Andrews etc come of the need from AJ and Macken.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 04:24 PM
so far from what i've seen from Macken he's not the player he was at Preston, according to the comentry Andrews was phenomenal, all be it he seems not to have the best first touch but with a bit more confidence and more minutes under his belt he would prove to be a good partner for AJ, the two hav frightening pace and AJ has the class to put alot of chances away, given time Andrews could do the same

Lion
16-08-2005, 04:29 PM
so far from what i've seen from Macken he's not the player he was at Preston, according to the comentry Andrews was phenomenal, all be it he seems not to have the best first touch but with a bit more confidence and more minutes under his belt he would prove to be a good partner for AJ, the two hav frightening pace and AJ has the class to put alot of chances away, given time Andrews could do the same

:rolleyes:

Macken has played 3 league games with us - Andrews has had one good game out of quite a few sub appearances & not scored.

Don't write Macken off yet please.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Gabor The King.

What have you seen of Macken?

As someone who has seen him in every game so far (in this country) i would say he is getting better every game. He is starting to get back to where he was before going to Man City and sitting on the bench for extended periods! (27 league starts in over 3 years! :eek: ) We will be able to judge him better in a couple more games.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I just think that given the time Andrews has been here he should be given a chance, the few sub appearances have been no more than 10 minutes max here or there, in the reserves he is like AJ in the first team, doesnt stop running and his pace causes problems all over the park, Macken is proven at this level which means even with a slow start that he has had he could still come good and i am by no means writing him off but while Andrews has had a good game which is what we need and there is this theory that we may use a rotation system, why not go on current form and give the people who seem to be producing the goods play?

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 04:36 PM
The reason is quite simple, if you play someone regularly in a team that stays settled the team learn to play together and get better. little tweaks here are there are good, swapping one player or pairing for a similar one is not too difficult.

Swapping Adnrews and Macken around cretaes a whole different team effectively, far more so than swapping AJ and Andrews. (Freedman and Macken) Palace need to develop their style of play and over the last couple of games that has started to happen.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Agreed, we have started to look better but we were a lot more lively once Andrews was on the pitch, at the moment he seems to have the hunger and desire where he wants to prove himself and get into the first team on merit, granted we dont see what happens in training but from form on the pitch this season i would pick Andrews over Macken for the next game, especially if Macken is still recovering from injury, at the moment Macken seems to be getting into the team on previous merit where Dougie Andrews and Torghelle (even though he has now gone) were not given a chance as soon as Macken appeared on the scene

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 04:51 PM
according to the comentry Andrews was phenomenal,

we were a lot more lively once Andrews was on the pitch,

So were you there or not.

Surely you are not going by commentary on who is playing better than who!

Macken looked more dangerous in the time he was on the pitch than Andrews, indeed Macken injured himself forcing Green into a good save. His second shot on target in the game. Andrews managed 1!

We are better off forging the partnership we have started to between AJ and Macken!

The Vicar
16-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Isn't this the Langley thread? ;)

Anyway, is he coming or not? Reading between the lines, is he mates with Jobi?

Lion
16-08-2005, 05:00 PM
It doesn't happen much, but I agree with Gonzo

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 05:01 PM
I didnt say i was there i said I had seen it, my dads friend has got one of those multi national satellite dishes and it was on one of the 1000's of channels he has, the comentry was saying that Andrews was phenomenal which i thought was very rare to hear when talking about football and thought it was relevant to put in, my thoughts are that AJ and Andrews would be a more potent strike partnership when forged than Macken and AJ, if Dowie persists with AJ and Macken (which i no doubt feel he will)I hope they do do well but from what i have seen I would prefer AJ and Andrews rather than Macken because he likes to run at defenders and baffles them by never having the ball under control, Macken likes to flick on the ball to AJ when maybe he should take players on more himself

Lion
16-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I didnt say i was there i said I had seen it, my dads friend has got one of those multi national satellite dishes and it was on one of the 1000's of channels he has, the comentry was saying that Andrews was phenomenal.

Funny that - the game in question was NOT on any European channels so I can't see how your "dad's friend" managed to find it when plenty of feed hunters didn't.

Also - the commentry on the satalite is very unlikely to be in English, so again, how did you manage to listen to it?

I smell bullshit personally, maybe i'm wrong though.

Gabor The King
16-08-2005, 05:27 PM
ok, let me make myself clear,my dads friend taped it so i had to listen to the comentry on the radio but then saw the game on tape muted as the comentry was annoying! i cant say i know which channel it was on because i'd be lying, smell bullshit all you like you may be sitting in it

winners
16-08-2005, 06:02 PM
you watched a taped game, with live radio commentary???:confused:

maxpower
16-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Where does it say in that sky sports report that we want langley!? where do sky sports get this from?!

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 07:06 PM
my thoughts are that AJ and Andrews would be a more potent strike partnership

he likes to run at defenders and baffles them by never having the ball under control,

They will be potent because one of the partnership never has the ball under control? How do you think they will score these goals if one of them cannot shoot or pass (you can't do these well if you don't have control!)

Or is your plan the the opposition watch Andrews, they fall about laughing at his lack of control and AJ steals in to score?

Anyway back to Langley - No thanks! ;)

Lion
16-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by winners
you watched a taped game, with live radio commentary???:confused:

:D

LeeH
16-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Where does it say in that sky sports report that we want langley!? where do sky sports get this from?!
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Article.asp?id=299201

Ridcully
16-08-2005, 07:48 PM
A potentially good signing. Feeling of Leggy about this one so it could go either way but if cheap then why not, we have been short of class midfielders for a couple of years now. Watson has a long way to go so I'd like to see Hughes/Aki with Leggy/Langley and Watson on the bench.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Ridcully
Watson has a long way to go so I'd like to see Hughes/Aki with Leggy/Langley and Watson on the bench.

And you plan for Watson to develop how?

Gooders
16-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Lion
It doesn't happen much, but I agree with Gonzo

It happens all the time that I disagree with Gonzo. You don't half talk some rubbish mate! :p

Ridcully
16-08-2005, 07:58 PM
From taking his chance when he comes on like every other youngster with potential in the history of the game. He should not start at the moment imho BUT if he comes on and starts making things happen then maybe he will deserve his break into the team.

He is 20 and has plenty of time.

aj4england
16-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Watson is a better player than Langley but people said that McAnuff would be a risky signing as he came from Cardiff and he didnt make it at Cardiff so how would he make it with us. Langley could be a good singing and the sort of midfeild player we are looking for.

Jay_Palace
16-08-2005, 08:11 PM

This is about Palace, not Ben Watson. If Watson is ready to play then he will force his way into the team. However if we have better options who will aid us in our objectives then they should get the nod.

We aren't in a position where we can keep carrying players who aren't performing [I'm not necessarily talking about Watson here, btw] in the hope that one day they may become great players and will in all likleyhood bugger off and leave us anyway. I am concerned by Dowie's continual insistance in playing Tom Soares when he is clearly uncomfortable playing on the wing, and I hope that this will not hit his confidence in the long run.

We need immediate results and I want players playing for the team who will immediately deliver. No guarentees that Langely will be that player but it won't hurt Watson to have a bit of competition, indeed it will probably make him a better player and less complacent.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 08:17 PM
From taking his chance when he comes on like every other youngster with potential in the history of the game. He should not start at the moment imho BUT if he comes on and starts making things happen then maybe he will deserve his break into the team.

Ok he has his chhance he is taking it, imporving evert game ad now you want to take it away to put in a player not wanted by another CCC club, who before were were linked no-one suggested buying?

Would rather we give the youngster who is doing well a chance myself otherwise he will never progress - players needs runs in the team not 30 minutes here and there!

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 08:19 PM
We need immediate results and I want players playing for the team who will immediately deliver. No guarentees that Langely will be that player but it won't hurt Watson to have a bit of competition, indeed it will probably make him a better player and less complacent.

Agree mostly with that, immediate results maybe but we need to have a team that can get as close to being premiership quality as possible to reduce the amount we need to spend on bringing in new players cos the current ones aren't good enough!

I agree Watson needs competition, every player does, is Leigertwood, Soares, Aki, Danze and Hughes not enough? You want 7 players fighhting for 2 places?

Jay_Palace
16-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Agree mostly with that, immediate results maybe but we need to have a team that can get as close to being premiership quality as possible to reduce the amount we need to spend on bringing in new players cos the current ones aren't good enough!

I agree Watson needs competition, every player does, is Leigertwood, Soares, Aki, Danze and Hughes not enough? You want 7 players fighhting for 2 places?

I see where you're coming from GG and we're probably one of the most academy friendly clubs in the country, with regards to how many of our kids actually end up in the first team squad.

However the age old adage that you never win anything with kids is very true and you need to strike a very fine balance between promising youth and immediate impact players. It's a very hard thing to do, mind.

With regards to the players you list, I only consider Danze to be a player directly comparable to Watson in the role he plays, and he's even rawer and more untested than Watson. Leggy is a midfield battler in the Makalele role [don't laugh, I think that he can become a seriously great player in the years to come], Hughsie is a bit of both, Aki is a holding midfielder and Soares is a possible younger version of Hughes. We have no experienced competition for the creative central midfielder role, and Langley can provide that. Hopefully that will also serve to bring the very best out of Watson, which can only be a good thing.

I, as everyone else on here does wants the best thing for Palace and more competition in midfield is a good thing.

The Vicar
16-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Our primary weakness is in midfield.

I want our club to gain as many points as possible this season, and not use it as a "building" year. If we use it as a "building" year where we play players to develop their abilities longer term and not pick the best choice at this time, we will not be promoted and we will likely lose some of our better players next year (e.g., AJ).

If Langley can possibly help us be a better team right now (I think he can), and help us pick up points, let's bring him in quickly. If Langley can provide competition and/or cover for our first choice midfielders, and in so doing help us pick up points and provide greater quality in depth, let's bring him in quickly.

maxpower
16-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Yes but where are the quotes from dowie saying langley is a target!! South London Press spoke to a cardiff spokeman and they said there have been no offers and that was today!?

Jay_Palace
16-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes but where are the quotes from dowie saying langley is a target!! South London Press spoke to a cardiff spokeman and they said there have been no offers and that was today!?

We haven't seen any but hey, since when has that interfered in a good dose of BBS speculation :)

Besides, I think there is something to this story. There's no smoke without fire.

maxpower
16-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Who knows mate

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 10:33 PM

in my opinion the first three games of the season he has been amongst our best players in all 3, i think he is deserving of his place at the moment.

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 10:37 PM

With regards to the players you list, I only consider Danze to be a player directly comparable to Watson in the role he plays, and he's even rawer and more untested than Watson. Leggy is a midfield battler in the Makalele role [don't laugh, I think that he can become a seriously great player in the years to come], Hughsie is a bit of both, Aki is a holding midfielder and Soares is a possible younger version of Hughes. We have no experienced competition for the creative central midfielder role, and Langley can provide that. Hopefully that will also serve to bring the very best out of Watson, which can only be a good thing.

id actually compare danze to soares when they are both in their best position. breaks from midfield, energy.
watson and hughes. wanting to be on the ball.
aki and leigertwood. destroyers.

Stonewall
16-08-2005, 10:40 PM
http://www.qpr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31291&highlight=

A touch of envy from them don't ya think?

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by The Vicar
Our primary weakness is in midfield.

I know The Vicar won't see this as he has me on Ignore but....

as this is a commonly held view why do people think this. It was our weakness in the Premiership but we are no longer there.

The whole team was shocking against Luton but we more than matched Wolves in teh middle of the park and we were on top in central midfield against Norwich - as mentioned by a couple of their fans after the game.

mik59
17-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Doesn't add much to what already said but thought I'd post the views of my QPR mate on langley:

"I really rate him - he has two good feet and some silky skills though he is not a ball winner. Free kicks, set pieces etc., are more his stock in trade and excellent distribution through mid-field - he can play on the wing at a push. Dowie may have some prior knowledge of him (during his time at QPR).

He, (Richard) has had a bad time of it down at Cardiff and it might take him a while to get it back. Although I'm partisan, (obviously), I thought that Langley, going the right way, had international potential, albeit that was 3/4 years ago."

Chris K
17-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by mik59

"I really rate him - he has two good feet and some silky skills though he is not a ball winner. Free kicks, set pieces etc., are more his stock in trade and excellent distribution through mid-field - he can play on the wing at a push. Dowie may have some prior knowledge of him (during his time at QPR).

Sounds pretty much perfect for our needs then

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by mik59
He, (Richard) has had a bad time of it down at Cardiff and it might take him a while to get it back.

And that is a bit of a worry.

How long can we afford to give a new player to settle in and refind their form when we have a young player getting better every game?

zonin2000
17-08-2005, 09:53 AM
It was our weakness in the Premiership but we are no longer there.
I am a little unsure at what you're trying to say. That our midfield suddenly improved with relegation, or that the rest of our team regressed. Or, that midfield is not such an important area in this division, or that the general standard of Championship midfields is low?

Freddy Kurz
17-08-2005, 10:11 AM
I know The Vicar won't see this as he has me on Ignore but....

as this is a commonly held view why do people think this. It was our weakness in the Premiership but we are no longer there.

The whole team was shocking against Luton but we more than matched Wolves in teh middle of the park and we were on top in central midfield against Norwich - as mentioned by a couple of their fans after the game.

But the "proof of the pudding is in the eating" wouldn't you say? We
have now come through four pre-season friendlies and three CCC
games, having accumulated a total of just FIVE goals.
Granted the midfield has been weakened by injuries to Hughes
and Riihilahti, and now McAnuff, but it is, surely premature to
declare last season's midfield problem solved because of a
a couple of improved displays by Watson and Soares lately?
Hughes's best days may be behind him, the frequency of Aki's
injuries are increasing, and once we hit a run of injuries our
experience in midfield begins to look decidely threadbare.
Watson and Soares are players of talent with great
first-team potential but as yet are lacking in consistency.
They both need to work hard on their games to produce
a high level of performance more regularly. Leigertwood
is making steady progress as a holding mid-fielder. Danze
has yet to be tested regularly at first-team level , and
does seem to pick up a lot of injuries for a 21yr.old.
Tyrone Berry and Ryan Hall are showing good form in the
reserves out wide on the right and left and could be in
contention for fringe-squad consideration if they continue
to improve.
This still leaves us short of an experienced midfield organiser,
with leadership qualities, capable of filling any gaps created
by injuries (or suspensions).
Langley, provided he is fully fit, would seem to be someone
with all the necessary qualifications.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I am a little unsure at what you're trying to say. That our midfield suddenly improved with relegation, or that the rest of our team regressed. Or, that midfield is not such an important area in this division, or that the general standard of Championship midfields is low?

I am saying that the standard of midfields (and every position) is considerably lower in the CCC that the Premiership - hence the huge gulf between the leagues.

Therefore a weak midfield in the premiership can still be a good midfield in the CCC.

Ridcully
17-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Freddy Kurz
But the "proof of the pudding is in the eating" wouldn't you say? We
have now come through four pre-season friendlies and three CCC
games, having accumulated a total of just FIVE goals.
Granted the midfield has been weakened by injuries to Hughes
and Riihilahti, and now McAnuff, but it is, surely premature to
declare last season's midfield problem solved because of a
a couple of improved displays by Watson and Soares lately?
Hughes's best days may be behind him, the frequency of Aki's
injuries are increasing, and once we hit a run of injuries our
experience in midfield begins to look decidely threadbare.
Watson and Soares are players of talent with great
first-team potential but as yet are lacking in consistency.
They both need to work hard on their games to produce
a high level of performance more regularly. Leigertwood
is making steady progress as a holding mid-fielder.
Tyrone Berry and Ryan Hall are showing good form in the
reserves out wide on the right and left and could be in
contention for fringe-squad consideration if they continue
to improve.

Agree completely.

Ridcully
17-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I am saying that the standard of midfields (and every position) is considerably lower in the CCC that the Premiership - hence the huge gulf between the leagues.

Therefore a weak midfield in the premiership can still be a good midfield in the CCC.

So we have a need to strengthen then? I agree with that hence would be happy trying to get a more experienced midfielder in rather than waiting for one of the youngsters to maybe come good.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 10:21 AM

I haven't seen anyone describe Langley as a leader. He can pass the ball around and take free kicks - precisely Watsons role in the team at the moment. What message does it send the young player who is playing well and getting better if you just drop him for someone searching for form and who is in essence a gamble?

2 weeks ago i would have agreed at the friendlies it looked like we were desperate and Watson was not going to be the answer - he has come on dramatically for the few games he has played. My fear is that dropping him and knocking his confidence will drop him back to that sort of level again.

The transfer window is a real problem here, it would be nice to give Ben 3/4 more games to see what happens before making any decision. I suppose we have the chance to give him 2, the 2 home games against Plymouth and Stoke, if he performs well in those i would not buy Langley. If his form dips maybe.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 10:23 AM
So we have a need to strengthen then? I agree with that hence would be happy trying to get a more experienced midfielder in rather than waiting for one of the youngsters to maybe come good.

No we do not need to strengthen - we may well need to come promotion, so why buy a player now and then buy another cos he is not good enough for the premiership. That is a waste.

The squad we have at teh moment (1 more wide player) is good enough to get us up - when we get there we need to look at what players to bering in!

Ridcully
17-08-2005, 10:24 AM
I haven't seen anyone describe Langley as a leader. He can pass the ball around and take free kicks - precisely Watsons role in the team at the moment. What message does it send the young player who is playing well and getting better if you just drop him for someone searching for form and who is in essence a gamble?

2 weeks ago i would have agreed at the friendlies it looked like we were desperate and Watson was not going to be the answer - he has come on dramatically for the few games he has played. My fear is that dropping him and knocking his confidence will drop him back to that sort of level again.

The transfer window is a real problem here, it would be nice to give Ben 3/4 more games to see what happens before making any decision. I suppose we have the chance to give him 2, the 2 home games against Plymouth and Stoke, if he performs well in those i would not buy Langley. If his form dips maybe.

Good points but if Langley is available relatively cheaply why would we not get him in as well and increase the competition for places as well as compensate when we have injuries whilst we wait for the kids to come good.

Ridcully
17-08-2005, 10:27 AM
At the end of the day it's about opinion's. If Mr. Dowie feels Langley is the right player (and he has previous experience with him at QPR) then I am happy with that. I would rather we do something now than throw more points away with an inexperienced midfield who despite your assertions are improving still only have 1 point from three games so far.

I cannot comment on the away games as I didn't see them but Luton and the previous two years mean for me that Ben has still some way to go.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I cannot comment on the away games as I didn't see them but Luton and the previous two years mean for me that Ben has still some way to go.

Thats the major point really. Most people who are commenting on the team, who we need to sign, how bad ,we are, what is wrong etc etc have not seen the last 2 performances.

We were unfit against Luton - well off the pace - that has now changed and we will be fully fit (minus injuries) for Plymouth. Macken and AJ have had some very nice interplay (Andrews not so much) and we have played some very nice football on the floor. If McAnuff had been playing against Norwich we may welll have come away with more cos he has looked very bright.

Surely you would agree that Wolves and Norwich have two of teh better squads in this division. We outplayed them for large periods and controlled the midfield (especially Norwich) away from home!

Maybe the players just play better away, i guess we will all find out on Saturday!

Scroatey
17-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Richard Langley is currently training with the Palace squad with a view to a permanent transfer :p

darren_j
17-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Any chance of it being completed by Saturday?

Originally posted by Scroatey
Richard Langley is currently training with the Palace squad with a view to a permanent transfer :p

jhc
17-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Richard Langley is training with Palace this week and a decision on whether to offer him a contract will be made at the end of the week

The Vicar
17-08-2005, 10:55 AM

Now we're talking :p

jhc
17-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Highly unlikely that any permanent move would be completed by saturday. He still has a year left on his Cardiff contract and it doesn't sound like a fee of any size if at all would be involved.

Dillenger
17-08-2005, 10:59 AM
just got text on subject from Cardiff supporting mate

"langley can f*ck off and take his lazy arse off our payroll. was ace at QPR, chuffed when we got him, now he's terrace enemy number 1 for good reason - LAZY!!"

this doesnt worry me that much, as i reckon the Dowie regime will erradicate that from his game.

jhc
17-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I suspect that it is because of this reputation that we are only looking at him at the moment, but remember, Dowie knows him from his time at QPR, so he is aware of the type of player/person Langley is.
He'll only sign him if he measures up!

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Dowie was with him at QPR 7 years ago - pre injury - when he was highly rated.
7 years is a long time!

Guess we will see at the end of the week!

jhc
17-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Fair point!

kolinkins
17-08-2005, 11:35 AM
He's been there since Monday, and has had a good couple of days.

zonin2000
17-08-2005, 11:43 AM

But if it was our weak link in the Premiership, and it hasn't been improved, it's still our weak link now.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 12:02 PM
But if it was our weak link in the Premiership, and it hasn't been improved, it's still our weak link now.

Or we might not have a weak link - it might be our weakest link but it is still pretty strong for this division and therefore no need to improve it unless we go up!

limited_edition
17-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Richard Langley is currently training with the Palace squad with a view to a permanent transfer :p It's seems like the kiss of death for a player wanting to sign for us. Several players last season were training with us, but it never amounted to anything. I'm worried Dowie thinks because they might not respond to boxing training nor basketball motivational techniques in their trial periods, that he feels he might not be suitable for first team football.

Still, Dowie probably knows Langley from his days as a QPR coach, so he knows what he can do already. Maybe he's training him to see what his fitness is like after pre season. Fingers crossed we don't faff around with this (or any other potential) transfer in typical Palace style and get this body over the line.

Ecalap Latsyrc
17-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Or we might not have a weak link - it might be our weakest link but it is still pretty strong for this division and therefore no need to improve it unless we go up!

There's always a weak link if there are stronger links. You seem to be saying the attack, defence and goalkeeping are stronger links. So.....

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 12:17 PM
There =does not need to be a weker link, there has to be a weakest but not necessarily weak.

I think our midfield is strong for this division, it my struggle in the premiership but we are not there.

I assume you saw the midfield against Wolves and Norwich - did you think it was weak?

Ecalap Latsyrc
17-08-2005, 12:24 PM
There =does not need to be a weker link, there has to be a weakest but not necessarily weak.

I think our midfield is strong for this division, it my struggle in the premiership but we are not there.

I assume you saw the midfield against Wolves and Norwich - did you think it was weak?

Nope, saw neither and I believe you when you say they were strong. But, if every other area is stronger, then the midfield is still the weak (or weakest, if you insist) link. As such it is probably in the most need of improvement.

sydnsteve
17-08-2005, 12:27 PM
On the whole, and considering who is available, I think Langley would be a reasonable acquisition. If he showed his old form, him, Kolkka, McAnuff and Hughes would be a pretty good midfield, with Soares or Watson or Aki as subs if that wasn't working. I hope he proves himself in training.

cpfc_spc1982
17-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
On the whole, and considering who is available, I think Langley would be a reasonable acquisition. If he showed his old form, him, Kolkka, McAnuff and Hughes would be a pretty good midfield

there is no way kolkka, mcanuff and langley could be included without leigertwood or aki in my opinion.

Ridcully
17-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Thats the major point really. Most people who are commenting on the team, who we need to sign, how bad ,we are, what is wrong etc etc have not seen the last 2 performances.

We were unfit against Luton - well off the pace - that has now changed and we will be fully fit (minus injuries) for Plymouth. Macken and AJ have had some very nice interplay (Andrews not so much) and we have played some very nice football on the floor. If McAnuff had been playing against Norwich we may welll have come away with more cos he has looked very bright.

Surely you would agree that Wolves and Norwich have two of teh better squads in this division. We outplayed them for large periods and controlled the midfield (especially Norwich) away from home!

Maybe the players just play better away, i guess we will all find out on Saturday!

Fair enough, I look forward to seeing the improvement but it must be sustained. I still think adding a bit of competition into a weak area is needed.

Clapham Grand
17-08-2005, 01:53 PM

What an absolutley ludicrous argument. If we can strengthen then we should, and the fact is our midfield is a problem area. If Langley can improve this then what is your problem with him joining?

I was at Luton and Norwich (not Wolves) and it is quite clear that all is not well in the centre of the park

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I was at Luton and Norwich (not Wolves) and it is quite clear that all is not well in the centre of the park

What was wrong with the middle of the park at Norwich? Agree Luton was pretty crap (with Hughes) but most of teh team was, but Norwich we ran the midfield, according to Norwich fans as well.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 02:04 PM
What an absolutley ludicrous argument. If we can strengthen then we should,

In an ideal world maybe, if Abramovich was the chairman definately. What is the point in spending money, fees and wages on players who are not necessary.

200k fee and a 3 year contract on 5k a week (not unlikely figures) is 1m. If we can get up without spending that, and i believe we can that is an extra 1m in the budget come next summer!

What is ludicrous about that? Or are you saying you have no faith whatsoever in our current squad getting promotion?

Mr Palace
17-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Gonzo, your blind optimism amazes me. I really can't see us going up with our current midfield, which I believe is weak and imbalanced - i.e. no left winger and no goal scoring midfielder. I must be watching different gamesto you this season, as well as last season by the sounds of it.

Why take a gamble on us going up when spending 2million or so would greatly improve our chances? It seems like a small price to pay when we've been pretty prudent as it is (especially when you take in to account the fee we got for Routledge, as well as taking Sorondo, Ventola, Lakis, Shipps, Torghelle etc off the wage list).

A quality central midfielder, as well as another striker, is an absolute must if we are going to win promotion IMO. As we've seen so far, the current team may not do as well as some fans have naively predicted.

sydnsteve
17-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
there is no way kolkka, mcanuff and langley could be included without leigertwood or aki in my opinion.

Depends on the opposition I think, though I agree it is defensively weak, and maybe Leggy or Aki needs to be there. I think Langley would give us more options, assuming he is up for it of course.

cpfc_spc1982
17-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Depends on the opposition I think, though I agree it is defensively weak, and maybe Leggy or Aki needs to be there. I think Langley would give us more options, assuming he is up for it of course.

an up for it langley in the middle pulling the strings, harsh on watson the way hes started though, mcanuff on the right and still a left winger required with leigertwood sitting back letting the other 3 express themselves would be pretty decent.

Clapham Grand
17-08-2005, 04:07 PM
What was wrong with the middle of the park at Norwich? Agree Luton was pretty crap (with Hughes) but most of teh team was, but Norwich we ran the midfield, according to Norwich fans as well.

Their goal came from neutralising our midfield - all they had to do was chip the ball over Leggy and Wtson (who were 2 far forward) and then our back 4 was hopelessly exposed. Don't get me wrong, the midfield ain't bad but it ain't brilliant either

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Gonzo, your blind optimism amazes me. I really can't see us going up with our current midfield, which I believe is weak and imbalanced - i.e. no left winger and no goal scoring midfielder. I must be watching different gamesto you this season, as well as last season by the sounds of it.

Why take a gamble on us going up when spending 2million or so would greatly improve our chances? It seems like a small price to pay when we've been pretty prudent as it is (especially when you take in to account the fee we got for Routledge, as well as taking Sorondo, Ventola, Lakis, Shipps, Torghelle etc off the wage list).

A quality central midfielder, as well as another striker, is an absolute must if we are going to win promotion IMO. As we've seen so far, the current team may not do as well as some fans have naively predicted.

I agree with a alot of that, except the fact that the midfield is weak and i have said on many many threads we need a new wide player. I am nbot so sure we do not have a goal scoring midfielder,, i am giving a couple of younger players a chance before discarding them. Woulkd be interesting to see rectaion on here if Watson scored on Saturday for example!

You say gamble when 2m could guarantee it - probably right - there is a reason why Langley won't cost 2m though - he is not THAT good. Buying Langley 'might' guarantee promotion, equally it could cost us promotion cos Watson would have done a better job etc etc.

If you believe signing Langley will guarantee us promtion you are entitled to your opinion - i do not share it.

As dfor your last point, another wide player is the only essential, with a striker almost definately needed. Central midfield comes 3rd if that and as you say a 'quality' player - i question if Langley is that, but i admit cannot suggest an alternative purchase who would be better but i am happy with what we have.

If anything so far this season the weakest link has been defence - all the goals conceeded should not have been and probably wouldn't have been if we were defending better!

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Their goal came from neutralising our midfield - all they had to do was chip the ball over Leggy and Wtson (who were 2 far forward) and then our back 4 was hopelessly exposed. Don't get me wrong, the midfield ain't bad but it ain't brilliant either

We have conceeded 5 goals this season, 5 out of 5 have been crosses from our left hand side into the box! Defenders have not dealt with them, keeper hasn't claimed them.

917L
17-08-2005, 04:10 PM

A gamble?

Langley 26 goals in 186 games

Watson 1 goal in 30

The difference is clear

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Watson (though he has improved since opening day) is still struggling with long range passing and his free kicks and corners are appalling. God knows how many we've wasted since the Luton game. If Langley signed and looked good in training and proved his fitness I'd drop Watson like a shot. Theres no room for sentiment in any level of football.
If he wants to get back in he'll have to do what Tommy Blacks currently trying to do. Work hard, impress the coaching staff and IMPROVE.

cpfcben
17-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Back to more important issues. He is training with us at the moment with a view to a permanent move.

Richard Langley is training with Crystal Palace in a bid to earn a contract with the South Londoners.

The midfielder has been informed he can leave Cardiff despite still having a year left on his contract at Ninian Park.

Bluebirds boss Dave Jones does not see the 25-year-old in his long-term plans and will let him leave for a nominal fee.

Langley has been training with Palace for the past two days and admits he would relish the chance of a move to Selhurst Park.

"I'm there for a few days and we'll see what happens," he stated.

"Palace would be a good club for me to play for."

Langley would be the second player to join Palace from Cardiff this summer if the move goes through with Jobi McAnuff already having completed a switch to South London.

Justy C
17-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by 917L
Langley 26 goals in 186 games

I make that a goal every 7 and a bit games. A rare thing for a midfielder at Palace, we'll soon knock that out of him. ;)

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Watson is working hard impressing teh coaching staff and he is IMPROVING. How many corners have we 'wasted' maybe 2 or 3. generally he gets them in the box and towards one of our players, yes they could be better and i hope he is working on them, i hope the whole team is practising corners. May i remind you that 33% of all our goals this season have come for Watson corners! :p

Why have we had so many corners? Cos the are put in the danger area, they are causing problems and the defences clear them behind for another corner. His passing, like Leigertwoods has got better every game so far and i am hoping for imporvement again on Saturday!

917L, Comparing goal tallies of an established player who managed just 2 goals last season to a teenager (ok now 20) who is getting better is silly. If Langley scored twice for us this season would you class that as good?

glaziers fan
17-08-2005, 04:30 PM
any player that needs to train with us prior to signing is not good enough. End of.

Did McAnuff, Ward, Macken need to train with us first? If the player is good enough, we shouldn't have to watch them in training. Sign a proper player please Dowie, not a Cardiff reject(Although McAnuff is very good;) )

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
I make that a goal every 7 and a bit games. A rare thing for a midfielder at Palace, we'll soon knock that out of him. ;)

So rare that we hae only had 1 season in the last decade at this level where we haven't had one score at that level?

McAnuff, Watson, bith have the ability to score that number of goals, indeed McAnuff is already about 20% of the way there!

917L
17-08-2005, 04:35 PM

917L, Comparing goal tallies of an established player who managed just 2 goals last season to a teenager (ok now 20) who is getting better is silly. If Langley scored twice for us this season would you class that as good?

I'd class it as twice as good as anything Watson has ever achieved.

And as you say he's an established player, exactly what we need, leyt Watson learn in the reserves and cup games not at the expense of our league campaign.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Langley, McAnuff (Palace), Gabbidon(WHU), Collins(WHU), Thorne (Norwich) if all these players are so good why did Cardiff almost get relegated? remember they had Kavanagh as well for most of last season!

The fact he is not in the long term plans of Dave Jones who has been working with him on a daily basis and is not impressed should say something. Seeing as Dave Jones has a better managerial record than Dowie at present (based on pts per game throughout all clubs)

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I'd class it as twice as good as anything Watson has ever achieved.

And as you say he's an established player, exactly what we need, leyt Watson learn in the reserves and cup games not at the expense of our league campaign.

Let Watson develop and score 6-7 goals rather than stop his development for another year (reserve games aren't good enough) and bring in Langley who might score us only 2 goals.

Are you 100% positive that Langley is a far better option for this season than Watson?

Mr Palace
17-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm not saying that Langley is necessarily a quality player Gonzo. Personally, I would aim a bit higher than him, although he was very good at QPR. If he really was that good a player then why would he need to train with us first (other than to prove his fitness I suppose). I just don't see it with Watson. I'm desperate for him to do well as I like nothing better than a home grown player to come through the ranks and play for the first team. However, he seems to have had so many chances and he never really cements that first team place. I really don't see him being good enough for the Premiership in any case - not that we'll probably need to worry about that!

I agree that young players need a chance at some point but I worry that an over reliance on players like Watson, Soares and Leggy in such a crucial area will not win us promotion. In any case, we need goals from other areas of the park other than Johnson. Without the goals he is likely to score I cannot see anyone else in our squad who's regularly going to weigh in with goals. Watson, Soares and Leggy (more understandably) have very poor scoring records; MacAnuff's record has been poor throughout his career but he's got off to a good start; I think Kolkka managed about two goals last year but he never gets much of a chance; while Hughes and Aki are hardly likely to get upwards of 6 goals (even between them!).

917L
17-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Langley, McAnuff (Palace), Gabbidon(WHU), Collins(WHU), Thorne (Norwich) if all these players are so good why did Cardiff almost get relegated? remember they had Kavanagh as well for most of last season!

And? ,

We have been relegated on a number of occasions with quality players in the squad, think Lombardo, Jansen, Bent, Curcic, Morrison et al, so your argument is invalid.

917L
17-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Let Watson develop and score 6-7 goals rather than stop his development for another year (reserve games aren't good enough) and bring in Langley who might score us only 2 goals.

Are you 100% positive that Langley is a far better option for this season than Watson?

What have you ever seen from Watson to suggest he will ever score 6-7 goals?

100%, well bar him getting a serious injury on arrival I dont see how he could fail to be better than Watson, do you?

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Watson is working hard impressing teh coaching staff and he is IMPROVING. How many corners have we 'wasted' maybe 2 or 3. generally he gets them in the box and towards one of our players, yes they could be better and i hope he is working on them, i hope the whole team is practising corners. May i remind you that 33% of all our goals this season have come for Watson corners! :p

Why have we had so many corners? Cos the are put in the danger area, they are causing problems and the defences clear them behind for another corner. His passing, like Leigertwoods has got better every game so far and i am hoping for imporvement again on Saturday!

917L, Comparing goal tallies of an established player who managed just 2 goals last season to a teenager (ok now 20) who is getting better is silly. If Langley scored twice for us this season would you class that as good? You dont half talk crap. Watson cant pass wind. You seem to think hes God. In case you had'nt noticed this is a thread about Langley and I repeat (as you obviously did'nt read before) that IF we sign Langley and IF he does well in training and his passing AND corners are better than Watson (not difficult) then its worth spending the money and putting him in ahead of the current players occupying his position (Watson included).
In answer to your last paragragh I also hope for further improvement from Watson (like delivering a corner that doesnt clear everyone and land a few yards from the far post. Better still lets guarrantee improvement and just give corners to someone else eh ?

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 04:51 PM
And? ,

We have been relegated on a number of occasions with quality players in the squad, think Lombardo, Jansen, Bent, Curcic, Morrison et al, so your argument is invalid. Agree 100%

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm not saying that Langley is necessarily a quality player Gonzo. I just don't see it with Watson. I'm desperate for him to do well as I like nothing better than a home grown player to come through the ranks and play for the first team. However, he seems to have had so many chances and he never really cements that first team place. I really don't see him being good enough for the Premiership in any case

And as this thread is about Langley i have said no thanks BECAUSE he is not quality. IF it was Zidane we were signing i would be slaavating like everyone else would be. Now obviously that is not going to happen but if we do sign someone we should be aiming highe rthan Langley IMHO and preferably someone we feel could in a years time cut it in the premiership.

I agree that young players need a chance at some point but I worry that an over reliance on players like Watson, Soares and Leggy in such a crucial area will not win us promotion.

'You will never win anything with kids' Alan Hansen at the start of the season, Think Man U did ok that year. We are not looking to win the Premiership this season, we are looking to get promoted from the CCC and developing kids is actually a good way of doing it, if you don't want to have to replace every player when you do get up. We might find 1 or 2 develop really well and can hack the premiership! I disagree that Soares, Leggy, and Watson, with the back up from Aki and Hughes in CM is not good enough to win promotion - personally i think they are.

Without the goals he is likely to score I cannot see anyone else in our squad who's regularly going to weigh in with goals. Watson, Soares and Leggy (more understandably) have very poor scoring records; MacAnuff's record has been poor throughout his career but he's got off to a good start; I think Kolkka managed about two goals last year but he never gets much of a chance; while Hughes and Aki are hardly likely to get upwards of 6 goals (even between them!).

This is also something that concerns me, and probably everyone. However he is not up front alone now and so shouldn't have all the resposibility. As i have said previously Aj getting 25, Macken 15 (both possible) and the defence getting about 10 (headers from corners and set pieces) leaves us needing probably 20 goals from Midfield, 5 from each position. McAnuff i think will score a few, as will Watson when he gets going (his confidence is getting greater with every game) and Laggy and Soares will get a couple each - trouble is that we need another wide player who will bag us a few goals as well. That is where we should be concerntrating our efforts not on yet another CM which we seem to be collecting!

When we went up last time we had Wayne and Jules and they caused no end of problems with the way they played and switched on the wings - that is what we need to get back to - 2 good wide players causing trouble for defences!

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 05:00 PM
And? ,

We have been relegated on a number of occasions with quality players in the squad, think Lombardo, Jansen, Bent, Curcic, Morrison et al, so your argument is invalid.

:clown: :clown: :clown:

There is a slight difference from being relegated from the premiership and from CCC!

Jansen, Bent were both young players when given their chance went on to be very good players. morrision played 1 game in the premiership so including him makes your statement even more laughable!

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 05:01 PM
What have you ever seen from Watson to suggest he will ever score 6-7 goals?

100%, well bar him getting a serious injury on arrival I dont see how he could fail to be better than Watson, do you?

Cos i have seen him get better every game so far this season!

Erm yes i see every reason why could be worse than Watson. I would rather give our home grown players a chance, you would rather spend millions creating the largest squad in histiry - our opinions differ somewhat!

boxing francis
17-08-2005, 05:03 PM

We dont have time to waste seeing Watson possibly develop, we are trying to get promoted. We have a weak spot in central midfield which needs to be addressed, I think Langley will add a lot to our team.

To become that 6-7 goal a season midfielder Watson will need to improve a lot and as much as I want to see the youth players given a chance I dont think he is as good as Langley at this moment in time.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Eagle123
You dont half talk crap. Watson cant pass wind. You seem to think hes God. In case you had'nt noticed this is a thread about Langley and I repeat (as you obviously did'nt read before) that IF we sign Langley and IF he does well in training and his passing AND corners are better than Watson (not difficult) then its worth spending the money and putting him in ahead of the current players occupying his position (Watson included).
In answer to your last paragragh I also hope for further improvement from Watson (like delivering a corner that doesnt clear everyone and land a few yards from the far post. Better still lets guarrantee improvement and just give corners to someone else eh ?

Give corners to whoi?

Which player at teh club beats the first man? several players took corners last season EVERYONE hit the first man regularly. So far Watsons corners have usually gone into the danger zone - did you miss our first goal of the season?

As for not being able to pass wind, did you go to either Wolves or Norwich?

917L
17-08-2005, 05:13 PM
:clown: :clown: :clown:

There is a slight difference from being relegated from the premiership and from CCC!

Jansen, Bent were both young players when given their chance went on to be very good players. morrision played 1 game in the premiership so including him makes your statement even more laughable!

Nothing laughable about it, and there is no difference at all, ask Malcolm Allisons 2nd division championship favourites who got relegated for the second season running!

Jansen and Bent were young but quality, way in advance of where Watson is or ever likely to be.

917L
17-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Cos i have seen him get better every game so far this season!

Erm yes i see every reason why could be worse than Watson. I would rather give our home grown players a chance, you would rather spend millions creating the largest squad in histiry - our opinions differ somewhat!

I never suggested spending millions or creating a large squad, I suggested that Langley would be more beneficial to CPFC at this point in time than Watson is (not too difficult IMO) .

RDSdaEAGLE
17-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Err, we almost got relegated a couple of seasons ago, and probably would have done had Symons/Dowie not done something about it.

It shows to me that the manager can have a big difference on the playing staff. Besides, Langley's on trial, he's not signed yet and Dowie said it was far from over the line...so wait and see.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Nothing laughable about it, and there is no difference at all, ask Malcolm Allisons 2nd division championship favourites who got relegated for the second season running!

I thought it couldn't get any better, you must be a professional comedian with this sort of material!

You want me to take you serioulsy when you imply there is no difference between the 1st division and 2nd division of the Allison era and teh Premiership and CC now?

You find 1 pundit that would agree with that.

Oh deary me, i must thank you, it has been quite a while since i laughed that much!

917L
17-08-2005, 05:28 PM
I thought it couldn't get any better, you must be a professional comedian with this sort of material!

You want me to take you serioulsy when you imply there is no difference between the 1st division and 2nd division of the Allison era and teh Premiership and CC now?

You find 1 pundit that would agree with that.

Oh deary me, i must thank you, it has been quite a while since i laughed that much!

Pundits!,

Every single one stated Liverpool would thrash Palace out of sight at Villa Park in 1990 (except Malcolm Allison at half time)

Hansen, Palce are the worst Premiership team of all time....

etc etc

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Give corners to whoi?

Which player at teh club beats the first man? several players took corners last season EVERYONE hit the first man regularly. So far Watsons corners have usually gone into the danger zone - did you miss our first goal of the season?

As for not being able to pass wind, did you go to either Wolves or Norwich? Yes both. Bet you were sitting at home on your PC banging on about Watson on a thread totally unrelated though :p

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 05:36 PM
No No No

A pundit who says their is not gap between the CC and Prem - Hasens comment was BECAUSE there is such a big gap between Prem and CCC!

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 05:38 PM
I never suggested spending millions or creating a large squad, I suggested that Langley would be more beneficial to CPFC at this point in time than Watson is (not too difficult IMO) . Jordan said we can bring players in only if some are moved on. How is this creating a huge squad Gonzo?
Langleys fee is rumored to be 200,000. I'd hardly call that "spending mllions Gonzo.

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Jordan said we can bring players in only if some are moved on. How is this creating a huge squad Gonzo?
Langleys fee is rumored to be 200,000. I'd hardly call that "spending mllions Gonzo. Sorry 917L responded to the wrong bloke.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Yes both. Bet you were sitting at home on your PC banging on about Watson on a thread totally unrelated though :p

No funnily enough i was at both too and if you didn't notice Watson getting better in both then you must have been watching different games!

And the fact that you think signing Langley and talking about Watson developing by time in the team are unrelated mean I cannot be bothered arguing with you!

Joey
17-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Surely it would be better for Watson's development to have competition for places, so he has to work harder? If he gets into the team every game then he won't have to work as hard.

boxing francis
17-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Also what indication is there that Dowie intends to play Langley in the middle?

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 05:49 PM
No funnily enough i was at both too and if you didn't notice Watson getting better in both then you must have been watching different games!

And the fact that you think signing Langley and talking about Watson developing by time in the team are unrelated mean I cannot be bothered arguing with you! Lets get one thing straight. I agree with you 100% that Watson has improved game by game. What I fail to see is why we allow a player to improve while playing in the 1st team. This costs us time and again. If Watson needs to improve (which is obvious surely even to yourself) it should not be atthe expense of the teams results. Defencive midfielder? Dont think so. Creative midfielder? So explain to me what he has created of real note and before you say the goal against Luton I could have got lucky in the end after the amount of corner oppertunities he had!
Watson will no doubt in the future be a good player. Right now he is struggling in a CCC team. That tells me if we are serious about gaining promotion and there is a player available that we think will do a better job (who'll cost reletively little) IMO we should sign him and give Watson more time in the reserves to fight to get back in not persevere with a player that is steadily improving in the hope that one day he MIGHT have a good game

Eagle123
17-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
Also what indication is there that Dowie intends to play Langley in the middle? That is true but I assure you it was'nt me that started the Watson debate. I came on this thread to see what people think of Richard Langley. Funny that

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Also what indication is there that Dowie intends to play Langley in the middle?

It is his natural position - so probably a good question as to where Dowie intends to play him! ;)

boxing francis
17-08-2005, 06:02 PM
It is his natural position - so probably a good question as to where Dowie intends to play him! ;)

Apart from the fact that he has been playing on the wing for a couple of seasons now, his 'natural' position is questionable.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 06:03 PM
What I fail to see is why we allow a player to improve while playing in the 1st team. This costs us time and again.

Well if we all sitting comfortably i will begin..

Once upon a time there was a young man who was a very good defender for his age. One day scouts from Crystal Palace came to see his teammate but his display was so good that the Chairman wanted him rather than his teammate. So he went to London to Crystal Palace, who were playing in the premiership. However he was a young man and never played at that sort of level before and he had a bit of a rocky start. The potential was clearly there but so were the mistakes and this meant that he was dropped. his confidence was gone and he found himself out of favour and the fans hated him.

He soon left the club and moved back to his homeland (little clue there) where he found his feet again before once more moving abroad for top flight European football. Soon he saw himself winning league championships with a very unfancied team before a move to one of the biggest clubs in Europe where this season he is playing Champions League Football AGAIN and is said by many to be the Key Player for his new team.

Which player am i talking about and how many wish we had a player of his quality right now - and we don't because we wouldn;t let him develop - othersides did and they got the benefits of doing so!

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Apart from the fact that he has been playing on the wing for a couple of seasons now, his 'natural' position is questionable.

I understood he had played a few games on the wing, and if that is the reason why his goals dried up it kind of says he should be in the middle!

selhurst star
17-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Well if we all sitting comfortably i will begin..

Once upon a time there was a young man who was a very good defender for his age. One day scouts from Crystal Palace came to see his teammate but his display was so good that the Chairman wanted him rather than his teammate. So he went to London to Crystal Palace, who were playing in the premiership. However he was a young man and never played at that sort of level before and he had a bit of a rocky start. The potential was clearly there but so were the mistakes and this meant that he was dropped. his confidence was gone and he found himself out of favour and the fans hated him.

He soon left the club and moved back to his homeland (little clue there) where he found his feet again before once more moving abroad for top flight European football. Soon he saw himself winning league championships with a very unfancied team before a move to one of the biggest clubs in Europe where this season he is playing Champions League Football AGAIN and is said by many to be the Key Player for his new team.

Which player am i talking about and how many wish we had a player of his quality right now - and we don't because we wouldn;t let him develop - othersides did and they got the benefits of doing so!

This happens to all clubs at one time or another. Ismael is now top class, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Didnt Millwall reject Ian Wright?

gcwhite
17-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Gonzo, you're wearing me out.

How do you sustain the intensity of your postings? And why can't you spell 'the' ? :)

I'm not criticising though. It's good reading and always thought provoking.

I think we need to strengthen our midfield though. ;)

Gladys Allover
17-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Well if we all sitting comfortably i will begin.. Do you have a job aside from being President of the Ben Watson Fan Appreciation Society? :confused: How do you find so much time to write what you do?!

Freddy Kurz
17-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Great Gonzo, your total lack of objectivity about the relative qualities of Watson and Langley are based, it would appear, on your assessment of
the two most recent Championship performances by the former, which
have somehow managed to obliterate from your consciousness the
previous 51 League games Watson has played in which he has only
managed to score one goal, not to mention the very many reserve
games over the past 3 seasons in which he has no doubt had ample
opportunities to find the net but has rarely succeeded in doing so.
He did not even score in the two better games you say he played
v Wolves and Norwich, but still you insist that the accomplished
and experienced Langley, with his full international and League
experience, not to mention a goal-scoring ratio of one every 7
games could not help to strengthen Palace's mid-field?
My only concern is Langley's fitness, but provided he satisfies the
Dowies and Harbin on that score then he is a player who can
play a significant role in our push for promotion and beyond.
Our present squad still lacks players(especially in midfield) with
Langley's kind of first team experience, which even promising
and talented players like Watson AND Soares are just incapable
of providing. Take a look at any youngish first team or reserve
side and just see what a seasoned professional can add to it
in all-round know-how, especially in critical situations. say when
they lose an early goal, when they need a late equaliser or
winner or are down to ten men! That is when experience
shows and makes all the difference. Every good team needs
young legs and flair but it simply CANNOT do without experience!
That much I HAVE learned in sixty one years of watching my
beloved Crystal Palace!

nomad
17-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Great Gonzo, your total lack of objectivity about the relative qualities of Watson and Langley are based, it would appear, on your assessment of
the two most recent Championship performances by the former, which
have somehow managed to obliterate from your consciousness the
previous 51 League games Watson has played in which he has only
managed to score one goal, not to mention the very many reserve
games over the past 3 seasons in which he has no doubt had ample
opportunities to find the net but has rarely succeeded in doing so.
He did not even score in the two better games you say he played
v Wolves and Norwich, but still you insist that the accomplished
and experienced Langley, with his full international and League
experience, not to mention a goal-scoring ratio of one every 7
games could not help to strengthen Palace's mid-field?
My only concern is Langley's fitness, but provided he satisfies the
Dowies and Harbin on that score then he is a player who can
play a significant role in our push for promotion and beyond.
Our present squad still lacks players(especially in midfield) with
Langley's kind of first team experience, which even promising
and talented players like Watson AND Soares are just incapable
of providing. Take a look at any youngish first team or reserve
side and just see what a seasoned professional can add to it
in all-round know-how, especially in critical situations. say when
they go an early goal down, or when they need a late equaliser
or winner! That is when experience shows and makes all the
difference. Every good team needs young legs and flair but it
simply CANNOT do without experience!
That much I HAVE learned in sixty one years of watching my
beloved Crystal Palace!

Sorry to interrupt your "novel" Freddie but if he is that good, why do Cardiff want to get rid of him? Cannot be wages alone.

Freddy Kurz
17-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by nomad
Sorry to interrupt your "novel" Freddie but if he is that good, why do Cardiff want to get rid of him? Cannot be wages alone.

You didn't interrupt me nomad, I had finished, as I'm sure you were well
aware. Cardiff are going through a very difficult financial situation,
which is precisely why they had to get rid of Jobi McAnuff, but I haven't
heard many Palace fans complaining about his lack of quality!
Don't know how long you have been supporting Palace, but my memory
goes back to when we sold players like Stephenson and Johnny Byrne
to West Ham and Ian Wright to Arsenal. If they were so bloody good, why on earth did Palace sell THEM? Answers on a postcard please!
By the way, you seem to be critical of the length of my contribution,
but what about the total length of Great Gonzo's frequent instalments,
which surely far outweigh mine by a country mile?

cpfc_spc1982
17-08-2005, 08:42 PM

i actually felt leigertwood should have done more to stop hughes crossing it in.

zonin2000
17-08-2005, 08:55 PM
However he was a young man and never played at that sort of level before and he had a bit of a rocky start
He'd already played in the flipping UEFA Cup.

Also, how did that story answer Eagle123's (rhetorical) question?

AJ
17-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Why does everyone presume that Watson will be out, if Langley is signed? Is Frank Lampard being replaced by Essien(sp?). As mentions Dowie could want to play Langley on the wing, he could want to play Watson and Langley, he could put Langley on the bench, there are a number of possibilities and none are even relevant until(if) the player signs. What if Dowie doesn't think Langley is any better than the other midfielders at the club?

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Erm it was a story about how young players should be given a chance, rather than dropped and moved on. Watson is now 20 he hasn't got long to prove himslef, if he deosn't cut it in the CC this year (assuming we go up) he won't play next year - then he is 22 and will be looking to more for first team football. He has to be given he chanc eto cut it this year or we lose him.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by AJ
What if Dowie doesn't think Langley is any better than the other midfielders at the club?
Then y why sign him, he is a central midfielder which is why if we sign him he 'should' be played in the middle.

The only reason to spend money is if Dowie is going to play him, otherwise why waste the money?

GreatGonzo
17-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Don't know how long you have been supporting Palace, but my memory goes back to when we sold players like Stephenson and Johnny Byrneto West Ham and Ian Wright to Arsenal. If they were so bloody good, why on earth did Palace sell THEM? Answers on a postcard please!

Don't have any card so a post will have to do......

We sold those two players, both England internationals (Jamaica sin't the same) and for a good market value.

Talk is of a nominal fee and that they are not playing him, using a slighty injury as an excuse. The two for me are not comparable. He was also out for 4 months last year and it sounds like he may be very injury prone. We were not trying to get Wright and Byrne off our books which is what Cardiff are doing with Langley - why do you think they are doing that?

If you want to use the 'they are skint' line please consider they have spent close to 1m ion fees, brought in 7 players sold 9. If they were that strapped for cash they wouldn't have signed Purse etc etc and taken on Koumas' wages (or part of)