PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Horsfield

BARNSTONEWORTH
15-08-2005, 03:36 PM
With Ellington signing for West brom they've got a surplus of strikers. I know that a lot of BBSers will shoot me down in flames but think that Geoff Horsfield might now be worth going for. He would give us the physical option up front that we've been lacking and has proved he can score at this level.
Ok, fire away!

Oddjob
15-08-2005, 03:40 PM
No thanks.

Kirby
15-08-2005, 03:41 PM
He looks like a right donkey (or Horse!) but he always does a job wherever he goes. We need a physical element to our strikeforce and I can't see many better options around. However despite the amount of strikers Robson is buying, it seems Horsfield is still in his plans (I think he played on Saturday?).

In conclusion, yeah I wouldn't mind him :clown:

ed winchester
15-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Surely we should go for Golden Gorden.

st albans
15-08-2005, 03:46 PM
no thanx

st albans
15-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BARNSTONEWORTH
With Ellington signing for West brom they've got a surplus of strikers. I know that a lot of BBSers will shoot me down in flames but think that Geoff Horsfield might now be worth going for. He would give us the physical option up front that we've been lacking and has proved he can score at this level.
Ok, fire away!

so just because they have signed another striker means he should go. you seem to have forgotten the balance you need from a strikeforce

in horsefield and campbell they have target men that can hold the ball up, play others in and get on the end of balls and in earnshaw, kamara and ellington they have the quick, run the channels type of striker

if anything i would say earnshaws position is under threat, not horsefield

palacefan4life
15-08-2005, 03:54 PM
but they now have 6 strikers!!!!! They don't need Campbell, Horsefield,Ellington,Earnshaw,Kamara AND Kanu!!!!!!!!!!

We should enquire about Earnshaw and i would also consider Horsefield as the centre forward we could do with right now.

smileysmith
15-08-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm still crying about Ellington to be honest ... :(

Balti Man
15-08-2005, 03:58 PM
no non nein

Bens Jamin
15-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I would prefer we go for Kevin Campbell rather than that waste of space Horsfield. Geoff wouldnt do anything for our team, he'd be like a slower, shorter, uglier Torghelle!

zonin2000
He would be a very good acquisition.

Shipp Ahoy!
Originally posted by Bens Jamin
I would prefer we go for Kevin Campbell rather than that waste of space Horsfield. Geoff wouldnt do anything for our team, he'd be like a slower, shorter, uglier Torghelle!

If only we could get that to come off.

cpfc_spc1982
15-08-2005, 04:02 PM
he's the sort of player aj should be playing with.

Jim Cannon
15-08-2005, 04:49 PM
He may seem a bit of a carthorse but he is a proven goalscorer. We could probably get him 1M or less as well, and his experience could also be useful if we go up. ID could do a lot worse.

charles stewart
15-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Didnt Horsfield play with johnson when he was at birmingham

forsells no1 fan
15-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by charles stewart
Didnt Horsfield play with johnson when he was at birmingham

Think so yeah. I remember before the 5-0 Wigan game on Sky Horsefield then playing for Wigan was interviewed and said he had some good mates at Palace and there was one inparticular he said was a big mate of his. Cant remember who it was though?

maestro
15-08-2005, 05:47 PM
World be a very good signing, not a pretty player but effective

Flappy Chicken
15-08-2005, 05:49 PM
No thanks, surely there must be someone else?

garyfisher
15-08-2005, 05:51 PM
"Feed the Horse and he will Score"........chant regularly sung by the Birmingham fans

GreatGonzo
15-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Can i remind everyone that we all said Sorrondo's red card at West BRom was ridiculous cos Horsfield would never have scored from that position.

Maybe we should go and see what people said about him at the time. Don't remember anyone saying we should sign him! :rolleyes:

boxing francis
15-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Hes a massive lump but he can score and is a good target man, would be a good signing for us.

smileysmith
15-08-2005, 06:08 PM
All this 'good target man - good partner for AJ' stuff. Why the hell did we let Shipps and Torghelle go??!!

Stevecpfc767
15-08-2005, 06:13 PM
No thanks!

P.Hep
15-08-2005, 06:20 PM
It would be a dark day indeed to see this knuckle dragging buffoon in the red & blue.
Apparently when he was at school, his careers adviser recommended either rugby league or knocking brick walls down with his head as possible career paths.

JamieBcpfc
15-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Earnshaw however I would like at Palace, West Brom are wasting him

zonin2000
15-08-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd have Horsfield over Earnshaw.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2005, 06:42 PM
I'd have herpes over both of them!

Jim Cannon
15-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by JamieBcpfc
Earnshaw however I would like at Palace, West Brom are wasting him

Earnshaw is a decent player, you have to ask why Robson seems so heppy to let him go. Behind the scenes issue, or just not his kind of player?

hernehilleagle
15-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Type of player that could do well here.

Jim Cannon
15-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by hernehilleagle
Type of player that could do well here.

Earnshaw or Horsfield? Either would be great signings IMHO. But how old is GH now BTW?

aj4england
15-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Horsefeild........No Thanks
Earnshaw.......Thats a different story

Eagle El
15-08-2005, 08:52 PM
..and he kept the baggies up with his dive at OT!

Celestial Empire
15-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Earnshaw to Blackburn.

Kirby
15-08-2005, 10:18 PM
I'd absolutely love us to sign Earnshaw. However I'm guessing Dowie doesn't want another small/quick striker considering he didn't go in for Lita.

The Vicar
15-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Earnshaw would be a good signing. It probably won't happen, though! GH, give me a break.

The Vicar
15-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
I'd have Horsfield over Earnshaw.

:eek:

Gazz
15-08-2005, 11:54 PM
In palaces current striking situation i think we do need more of a horsfield type rather than an earnshaw type. However if your deciding on pure basis of footballing skills then that would obviously be Earnshaw.

Maximus
16-08-2005, 12:50 AM
If you prefer Horsfield over Earnshaw, you're nuts. Horsfield has a poor strikerate for a striker and thus is the reason he's been a several clubs during his boring career. Horsfield is no better than Macken most probably for goals and assists. AJ proved last season he didn't need a big supporting player upfront to score 21 goals, and with Horsfield I doubt we would have stayed up last season. But with Earnshaw (who scored what 10 goals) with AJ you could betya we'd have stayed up last season.

Strikers are goalscorers that's it. I doubt Horsfield would even get as many as Shipps in our recent promotion year (10 goals). Let's buy goalscorers to take the burden OFF AJ, not hopefully strikers who can help AJ score more, coz if AJ is injured we could be stuck with Horsfield and Macken the best defensive strikers in the world!

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

Strikers are goalscorers that's it. I doubt Horsfield would even get as many as Shipps in our recent promotion year (10 goals). Let's buy goalscorers to take the burden OFF AJ,

it is rarely as simple as that. the best team is not always the best individuals. horsfield would bring more to the team with aj than earnshaw would with aj in my opinion, despite earnshaw being far more talented.
alot of times last season we could have done with someone up front who could hold it up to relieve pressure, but at the expense of another body in midfield this wasnt really an option.

anti-addick
16-08-2005, 06:52 AM
I'd hate a donkey like Horsfield to sign for us.

sydnsteve
16-08-2005, 08:15 AM
I despair.

Clapham Grand
16-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
I'd have herpes over both of them!

strange boy

Chris K
16-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I think do think we need more height to the team, then maybe out of the 30 corners we've won in the last two games a little bit more would have materialised

zonin2000
16-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by The Vicar
:eek:
Would you rather spend over 3m bringing in a striker very similar to what we already have, or spend under 1m on bringing in a very experienced target man who is more than proven in this division?

Webb
16-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
Would you rather spend over 3m bringing in a striker very similar to what we already have, or spend under 1m on bringing in a very experienced target man who is more than proven in this division?

Even more so, when we have fairly similar players (in terms of type, rather than ability) with AJ and Andrews, and Dougie and Macken. We are clearly missing a target man sort of player.

I'm with you.

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by webbplebb
Even more so, when we have fairly similar players (in terms of type, rather than ability) with AJ and Andrews, and Dougie and Macken. We are clearly missing a target man sort of player.

I'm with you.

Of course we need a target man to give us that option.
Earnshaw would have been a good replacement for AJ, but as AJ is staying I find it hard to believe that people are still mentioning Earnshaw. He would be unlikely to want to come to Palace anyway and there is no way we could now afford him.

maestro
16-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Horsfield holds the ball up very well and would be a very good signing, all the people saying he's a donkey etc etc better wake up, who do they think we are going to sign?? Horsfield about the best we can get

Justy C
16-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Even if he was available I don't think he wants to move away from the midlands. A mate of mine who supports the baggies said the reason he only lasted a few months at Wigan was because he was missing the girl he was seeing in the midlands and was very settled there.

gold76
16-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Not the prettiest of players to look at, but would fit in with Dowie's ethic. Proven quality at this level, has the height that we currently lack & would chip in with a goal or two.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Chris K
I think do think we need more height to the team, then maybe out of the 30 corners we've won in the last two games a little bit more would have materialised

Over half the team at Norwich was 6ft or taller (Ward is not 6ft!) and Norwich fans i was talking to after the game said how it looked like we had height throughout the team.

The only place we do not have height is up front, however we have 2 talented players who love the ball on the floor. If we are going to play long balls we need a target man, however in the past 2 games, which most of you have not seen, we have showed signs of deleloping a really good passing game.

Why does eeveryone want us to sign player unless they are actually needed? The only place we have a gap is for a second wide player to play opposite Jobi!

Palace Don
16-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith
All this 'good target man - good partner for AJ' stuff. Why the hell did we let Shipps and Torghelle go??!!

A question I have been asking myself alot recently. Bad decision in my book from Dowie. No doubt about it unless he intends to bring someone in.

Just look at the number of corners we had on Sat against Norwich and how we were calling out for a big centre forward/target man!

Its a little frustrating :rolleyes:

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by gold76
has the height that we currently lack & would chip in with a goal or two.

He is 32, been getting worse for the past couple of season and is an INCH just ONE INCH taller than Macken! Hard;ly inspirational signing and if that is Palace's idea of 'major' then we are in real trouble!

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Palace Don
Just look at the number of corners we had on Sat against Norwich and how we were calling out for a big centre forward/target man!

Ok in your opinion, how many outfield players is it necesary for Palace to have to be effective at set pieces and corners?

Ward is good in the air but not quite 6 foot so if you add that to the others is makes 6 out of 10 of our stating line-up are or should be good in the air! If we cannot come up with a set piece routine that works with talented players and over half of them good in the air, you cannot blame height as an issue!

Oh and so far 1/3 of our goals this season have come from corners! :p

Gooders
16-08-2005, 11:57 AM
He is 32, been getting worse for the past couple of season and is an INCH just ONE INCH taller than Macken! Hard;ly inspirational signing and if that is Palace's idea of 'major' then we are in real trouble!

Did I miss something - I don't remember reading that Palace were interested?

gold76
16-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
Did I miss something - I don't remember reading that Palace were interested?

We're not, it was just someones suggestion!

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Ok in your opinion, how many outfield players is it necesary for Palace to have to be effective at set pieces and corners?

Ward is good in the air but not quite 6 foot so if you add that to the others is makes 6 out of 10 of our stating line-up are or should be good in the air! If we cannot come up with a set piece routine that works with talented players and over half of them good in the air, you cannot blame height as an issue!

Oh and so far 1/3 of our goals this season have come from corners! :p

Ward is taller than 6 foot Mark.

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 12:03 PM

there is no way ward is 'not quite 6 foot'.

BARNSTONEWORTH
16-08-2005, 12:07 PM
People may not really like the idea of a "target man" but it seems really obvious that its an area we're lacking. I'm sure that someone big up front against Norwich would have either scored or ruffled them up enough to allow someone else to score. For right or wrong, Torghelle and Shipps are gone, so we have to look elsewhere. Of his type I think Horsfield wouldn't be a bad option. Playing him or someone like him wouldn't be pretty but getting out of the fizzy pop league isn't going to be just about being skilful and passing well.

Chris K
16-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Over half the team at Norwich was 6ft or taller

Fair comment, but with 3 of these (Boyce, Ward and Hall) being in defence, are you saying that on each set piece we should send them up leaving Borrowdale back in case of a counter? We are crying out for more height up front, but i'm not saying that Horsefield is that peron btw.

Gooders
16-08-2005, 12:10 PM
We are crying out for more height up front, but i'm not saying that Horsefield is that peron btw.

Not sure that Cresswell is, eva. :)

BARNSTONEWORTH
16-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Boyce and Soares are both tall but rarely seem to be there and there abouts for headers at corners or set-pieces. We always aim (and I use that word loosely!) at one of our centre backs. Definitely could do with more options and more variety.

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by BARNSTONEWORTH
People may not really like the idea of a "target man" but it seems really obvious that its an area we're lacking.

anyone who doesnt should look at goals review and see how many teams utilise a target man well.

Lords Eagle
16-08-2005, 12:21 PM
There's a lot of talk about Shipps, I was listening to the radio the other day and they likened Shipps to a tank when they were talking about movement up front, he's overweight and past his best.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Fair comment, but with 3 of these (Boyce, Ward and Hall) being in defence, are you saying that on each set piece we should send them up leaving Borrowdale back in case of a counter? We are crying out for more height up front, but i'm not saying that Horsefield is that peron btw.

Nah send Borrowdale up too - he is 6ft! :P

sydnsteve
16-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
There's a lot of talk about Shipps, I was listening to the radio the other day and they likened Shipps to a tank when they were talking about movement up front, he's overweight and past his best.

They referred to him as Neil Tankerly in the BBC TV report at half time.

zonin2000
16-08-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't know where you're getting your height stats from Mark, but in any case, just because he's only an inch taller, it doesn't stop him from being far superior to Macken aerially.

But it's an unrealistic signing in that he wouldn't want to come.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
there is no way ward is 'not quite 6 foot'.

Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Ward is taller than 6 foot Mark.

Ok, you challenge should you choose to accept it is to find a profile of DArren Ward that says he is taller than 5'11!

I thought he must be 6ft+ but have only found 5'11 anywhere!

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 12:32 PM
www.footballsquads.co.uk had him at 6'00 playing at Millwall
www.4thegame.com have him a 6'3

www.soccerbase.com have him at 5'11 as do the offical club site!

Chris K
16-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Nah send Borrowdale up too - he is 6ft! :P

doh! Ok i admit defeat there :o

cpfc_ash
16-08-2005, 12:40 PM
http://www.4thegame.com/club/crystal-palace-fc/player-profile/6665/darrenward.html

The above site says that our darren ward is 6'3 and the the norwich keeper darren ward is 5'11.

But the official site says he is 5'11. :confused:

http://www.cpfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/ProfilesDetail/0,,10323~11650,00.html

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 12:46 PM
It may be that soccerbase take their info form supposedly the most reliable source - the official website - which we all know is less than reliable.

As i say i was shocked he wasn't over 6ft!

Even if we assume is is over 6ft that would make

Borrowdale
Ward
Hall
Leigertwood
Soares

All 6ft+ which kind of nullifies the need aerial presence from corners arguement.

If you wanted the tall striker, Sandor was 6'1!

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2005, 12:49 PM
borrowdale would be useless going up for corners.
hall seems to stand near post or around the keeper.
ward is a threat perhaps should have more of an attacking run.
leigertwood shouldnt be up for them.
soares should attack them.

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2005, 02:21 PM
To give you an idea of Ward's height, he's about half an inch taller than my brother Colin, and as you know, he's 6'2.

16-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Earnshaw will go to West Ham, Horsfield would provide a bit of strength up front with AJ. He has a pretty respectable scoring record in the Championship as well.

Sorry Newbie Posting....

NZsparky
16-08-2005, 10:36 PM
I am so upset, I closed my eyes for twenty minutes and hoped this thread would disapear but it hasn't, bugger.

Stevecpfc767
16-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Oh Darren Ward must be over 6ft surely!!

GreatGonzo
16-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
To give you an idea of Ward's height, he's about half an inch taller than my brother Colin, and as you know, he's 6'2.

You are pprobably right an dit would fit in with 4thegame's height of him, just suprised our own website cannot get the height of a player right - i would expect that!

If so it gives us 6 players over 6foot.

Norwich had 4 players over 6ft (possibly 5 if Colin is) and one of them was Ashton so at set pieces and corners we had a huge aerial advantage. W e don't need to bring in height, we have that already we just need to use it better!