PDA

View Full Version : Trouble at Millwall/Spurs

Daniel_Nash
04-08-2001, 11:28 PM
See, said it would happen...

from Spursweb.com

Spurs fans were the victims of a terrifying attack after the game finished at the New Den today.

The Tottenham and Millwall 'firms' had been taunting each other afternoon, and left the ground early, but as the rest of the Tottenham fans left the away section they were faced by around a hundred Millwall hooligans intent on beating up anyone - man, woman or child.

As it became clear that there wasn't a policeman to be seen, the Tottenham fans were forced to turn and run back to the stadium. Several people were injured as they were thrown to the ground in the stampede.

After a few minutes we were allowed out of the stadium, after the police got their acts together, and we eventually made it to the station.

I in no way condone football hooliganism, but there's no point in pretending that it doesn't happen. Let the hooligans go and fight each other if they want to. But for the first time in my years of going to football, the ordinary fan was in danger today.

If it is like this at every game at Millwall, they shouldn't be allowed in the football league - simple as that.

Gooders
04-08-2001, 11:47 PM
Daniel - you have my sympathy.

Myself and my sons have been season ticket holders at Palace for many years but we never go to games against Millwall, even at home when we've paid already.

They are, and always have been, the scum of the earth.

BUNGLE
04-08-2001, 11:53 PM
I can tell you it is very rarely like that at Millwall, but have you seen there first couple of games, there first away game is birmingham then they have Cardiff in the cup. Steer well clear.

Coulsdon Eagle
05-08-2001, 12:17 AM
Expect trouble when Millwall come to Selhurst, being given the whole of the Arthur Waite is asking for trouble.
There is a hard core mob that will be coming solely for fighting, needless to say, i'm not going to take my seat in Block A for that game, i for one dont fancy wearing a missile thrown from the animals, i'll ask to be relocated for the game. Shame they can't be banned.

Vinny
05-08-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
I can tell you it is very rarely like that at Millwall, but have you seen there first couple of games, there first away game is birmingham then they have Cardiff in the cup. Steer well clear.

My Dad played for Millwall, and over the years (I'm 40) I've been dragged there many times. And I can tell you this IS NOT a rare thing! Never has been. My Dad admitted it and I'm telling you, it's a fact of life. Millwall=aggro.

The only place I'll NOT wear my colours = Millwall.

The vast majority of Millwall fans are fine - but give the rest a wide berth.

Gavin Axten
05-08-2001, 12:23 AM
Remember the thread a month ago about should you take your kids to the Millwall away match??? I think this thread answers the question

Coulsdon Eagle
05-08-2001, 12:32 AM
My son, who is 14, wants to go with his mates to the New Den....
NO F**KING WAY!!!.

E.X Moontoad
05-08-2001, 01:57 AM
Daniel, you also have my sympathy. What is particularly sickening as you say is that the scumbags saw fit to set about innocent fans rather than consenting fellow hoolies (not to be condoned I know as innocents can be caught in the crossfire.But at least implies for want of a better term some sort of code of honour ).Women and children too? Wow big men! Tough guys!
Ties in with a lot of stuff I heard and read the last time we played a competitive game there in 1996 with the s**ts being none too fussy at who they had a go at after the game.Luckily I was'nt wearing colours,but I do remember arriving at South Bermondsey station in a severely stressed state as the atomosphere on the walk back was so intimidating.
Decent Millwall fans and I know a few also have my sympathy.However the sizeable number of nutters in their ranks means that the reputation that goes before them is largely deserved.

Daniel_Nash
05-08-2001, 02:10 AM
Thanks, but it isn't me who went. I copied the report from Spursweb, it says at the top of the report. It was the guy who went to the games report.

Shame they can't even let one game go, for the sake of Keith Stevens who has grown up in the youth scheme (detention centre i presume) to play for the club all his career.

I won't be going to any games there either, i'd rather walk around Finsbury Park wearing a Spurs kit and holding a Spurs flag.

crystal eagle
05-08-2001, 02:13 AM
Its always millwall aint it well when im older cause im only 15 when iv got a season ticket and we play them if wanna there fans starts on me ill lamp em one and knock there f*cken head off the stupid tw@ts
:p :p :p

Daniel_Nash
05-08-2001, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by crystal eagle
Its always millwall aint it well when im older cause im only 15 when iv got a season ticket and we play them if wanna there fans starts on me ill lamp em one and knock there f*cken head off the stupid tw@ts

Are you Robocop?? because they tend to hang around in groups, because they are pussies on their own i presume.

E.X Moontoad
05-08-2001, 02:27 AM
Obviously you're relieved you did'nt go Daniel! I have'nt been since 1996.We've only played pre season friendlies there in the last few years which I've been too 'chicken' to attend.Although to be fair by all accounts they passed off without incident.Could be a different story on Boxing Day though.Will I go? Not sure!

OOCO
05-08-2001, 02:37 AM

I don't think that attitude helps to be honest, just sturs it more. Anyway they do tend to be in large groups. A mate of mine at school is Millwall and he runs his mouth a lot with his Millwall mates. But when he is on his own he soon shuts up. I think a lot of kids get involved just to be seen as tough.

sydney eagle
05-08-2001, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Coulsdon Eagle
Expect trouble when Millwall come to Selhurst, being given the whole of the Arthur Waite is asking for trouble.
. That was unfortunately my first thought when I heard this as well :grrr:

Stephenson Soundbyter
05-08-2001, 01:34 PM
when im older cause im only 15

I think most of us guessed your age even before this post :rolleyes:

Brett
05-08-2001, 03:47 PM
There is a hard core mob that will be coming solely for fighting, needless to say, i'm not going to take my seat in Block A for that game, i for one dont fancy wearing a missile thrown from the animals, i'll ask to be relocated for the game. Shame they can't be banned.

The FL know that Millwall are a bunch of thugs. I even had to laugh as McGhee explained that transfer target (Phil Stamp) would appeal to the fans (Stamp is tatooed, fat, shaven haired and has a history of on field thuggery).

So why dont the FL ban them? Methinks brown paper bags floating around the FL commitee with a Bermondsey post mark on.

CPFC are seriously deluding themselves if they think they will contain Millwall by giving them the Arthur Wait. Do they not realise that the thugs will not be sitting with their mob anyway?

Have the lessons of Wrexham last season not been learned?

The way that violence was covered up by the FL and Millwall was despicable. Millwall had been given extra allocation on account that they would be sealing promotion, yet the thugs sat with Wrexham. Why? To cause trouble of course!

I am actually worried about moving my seat into the Old Stand (with its wonderful sign 'Fans wearing visiting colours will not be admitted' - apart from every match day!).

There will be trouble at this match.

Palace and the Police (as ever) will cock this one up. Big time.

no1disabledfan
05-08-2001, 08:16 PM
did anyone hear about the spurs millwall match there was loads of trouble 3 police officers and 2 horses were injured someone was stabbed in the face and shops and houses wrecked as well and we are going to be expecting about 4000 turning up at selhurst surely they should consider limiting the ticket allocation to millwall supporters.

bert head is god
05-08-2001, 08:55 PM
Having witnessed gruesome sights at the both the old and new Dens and whenever they've come to Selhurst, I have no doubt that both games will be very unpleasant. Even in the worst days of hooliganism, there was a kind of unwritten rule that the rival "firms" would battle and others only have problems when caught in the middle. This has never been the case with Millwall. On my last visit to the New Den I saw a guy of about 40 attacking a kid of about 12. I, and I'm sure many others, wanted to go to the kid's aid but it was a typical synical ploy to create a mass fight and the police, as usual, did nothing to prevent it.

If adult fans want to go to the game I would say good for you. I would go if I was still living in the UK. But I would seriously caution anyone about taking youngsters, or worse still, allowing them to go alone. I still have a scar from being attacked outside Norwood Junction when I was 14. As my mother put it at the time "was the game worth four days in hospital".

Plugster
05-08-2001, 09:43 PM
The 4000 fans you predict will be more like 8000. I got a letter through the other day saying that Millwall will have all of the Arthur Wait Stand for the home game in september.

Eagle Ingy
05-08-2001, 09:45 PM
One thing's for sure - Millwall will bring more fans to Selhurst than they have at an average home match. I'm sick to my back teeth with them coming to Selhurst and causing trouble which, to a large extent is ignored by the Police (they seem to take a much more lenient stance with Millwall). I'm too old for it all now, I'll listen to it on the radio and give my season ticket to someone brave [stupid ?].

Trolley
05-08-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Plugster
The 4000 fans you predict will be more like 8000. I got a letter through the other day saying that Millwall will have all of the Arthur Wait Stand for the home game in september.

And how many of these so called " supporters" will see more than 5 Millwall games all season ?

anti-addick
05-08-2001, 11:06 PM
I'd hate to see the police bill - we'll get a full house and make a loss.

Can't see they FL tolerating them continuing trouble, they'll be docked points this season.

Ben H
05-08-2001, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
I'd hate to see the police bill - we'll get a full house and make a loss.

Can't see they FL tolerating them continuing trouble, they'll be docked points this season.

Can't see it happening as it will set a dangerous precedent. Much as I would love to see it happen.

Trolley
05-08-2001, 11:37 PM
Baton charges,rubber bullets and water canon - This is the answer to these marauding hordes who wreak damage wherever they go.

They are just a Bunch of ruddy hoodlums purporting to be "supporters" of Millwall Football Club.

They are an utter disgrace.

Ben H
05-08-2001, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Trolley
Baton charges,rubber bullets and water canon - This is the answer to these marauding hordes who wreak damage wherever they go.

You can't be serious? What about the innocent people, the women and children that will inevitably get caught up in it?

Another Trolleyism.:o

Trolley
05-08-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Ben H

You can't be serious? What about the innocent people, the women and children that will inevitably get caught up in it?

Another Trolleyism.:o

I am extremely serious.

Judgement with regard to deploying these tactics is obviously a matter for the Police and they will NOT wish any innocent parties to be harmed.
However, if a self contained mob wreaks havoc, then stern action needs to be taken against these ruddy hoodlums.
The Police cannot deal with these reprobates with kid gloves - They deserve short sharp treatment and time spent behind bars.

Ben H
05-08-2001, 11:57 PM

I am extremely serious.

Judgement with regard to deploying these tactics is obviously a matter for the Police and they will NOT wish any innocent parties to be harmed.
However, if a self contained mob wreaks havoc, then stern action needs to be taken against these ruddy hoodlums.
The Police cannot deal with these reprobates with kid gloves - They deserve short sharp treatment and time spent behind bars.

A self contained mob? This isn't The Bill you know. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Coulsdon Eagle
05-08-2001, 11:59 PM
Most have probably spent time behind bars Trolley, so it's not much of a deterent is it, just another thing for them to brag about to their own kind, gives them hero status i think.

Coulsdon Eagle
06-08-2001, 12:01 AM
The best thing that can happen here, is to ban away support, i would lay money on the Arthur Waite being wrecked.

Trolley
06-08-2001, 12:03 AM
Ben H,

You mentioned about the Women and Children and implied that they are "Innocent".

From my experience, some of the women and children who purport to be followers of Millwall are far from "Innocent".
I suppose they are influenced by their foul mouth parents and partners.

There ARE true Millwall supporters who are passionate about their club and are fine upstanding citizens - I salute them.
They must despair of ruffians and reprobates who sully the reputation of their club.

Ben H
06-08-2001, 12:03 AM
The best thing that can happen here, is to ban away support, i would lay money on the Arthur Waite being wrecked.

It might improve things over there ;)

But seriously, i would give them just a token allocation of tickets, say, around 100. On the downside, this will just encourage them to infiltrate Palace areas within the ground.

Trolley
06-08-2001, 12:11 AM

But seriously, i would give them just a token allocation of tickets, say, around 100. On the downside, this will just encourage them to infiltrate Palace areas within the ground.

You are quite correct - A token allocation would only make matters worse as these neanderthals would only infiltrate other areas.

Indeed some will just do that anyway and if so, I do hope that the authorities evict them without any questions asked.

selhurst star
06-08-2001, 12:11 AM

It might improve things over there ;)

They'll do that anyway. There is no answer to the problem.Whatever will be will be.

Ben H
06-08-2001, 12:15 AM
Ben H,

You mentioned about the Women and Children and implied that they are "Innocent".

...and CPFC supporters, and passers-by that have nothing to do with the football. As much as we would like Millwall fans to be tear gased, stun gunned, baton charged or whatever, I can't see it being workable without an almighty controversy.:rolleyes:

Ben H
06-08-2001, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by selhurst star

They'll do that anyway. There is no answer to the problem.Whatever will be will be.

Ban them all? But do FL rules allow that?

ken_kaniff
06-08-2001, 12:26 AM
Seriously!

NO 1 CARES

Ben H
06-08-2001, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by ken_kaniff
Seriously!

NO 1 CARES

what?:eek: :rolleyes:

pedro
06-08-2001, 12:33 AM
Did someone say that there are some upstanding Millwall fans ! If this is true and they want to limit the chances of getting caught up in any trouble they should get tickets in the Palace end, remain very quiet and at the end of the game the TWO of them should leave the ground without causing a scene and get in their vehicle and drive back to Bermondsey leaving the other 3,998 followers to create bedlam on Thornton Heath High Street as usual. Oh I cannot wait.

Ian of Chatham
06-08-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Brett

The FL know that Millwall are a bunch of thugs. I even had to laugh as McGhee explained that transfer target (Phil Stamp) would appeal to the fans (Stamp is tatooed, fat, shaven haired and has a history of on field thuggery).

So why dont the FL ban them? Methinks brown paper bags floating around the FL commitee with a Bermondsey post mark on.

CPFC are seriously deluding themselves if they think they will contain Millwall by giving them the Arthur Wait. Do they not realise that the thugs will not be sitting with their mob anyway?

Have the lessons of Wrexham last season not been learned?

The way that violence was covered up by the FL and Millwall was despicable. Millwall had been given extra allocation on account that they would be sealing promotion, yet the thugs sat with Wrexham. Why? To cause trouble of course!

I am actually worried about moving my seat into the Old Stand (with its wonderful sign 'Fans wearing visiting colours will not be admitted' - apart from every match day!).

There will be trouble at this match.

Palace and the Police (as ever) will cock this one up. Big time.
With all the trouble that Millwall have caused over the years, I wonder why they have not been forcibly relegated to the Conference and banned from promotion to the League until their fans can demonstrate that they can behave, either that or the (New) Den shut for good.

In one way you are right, Brett there will be Millwall fans sitting in the Palace End whether you give them the Arthur Waite or not. If you don't give them the Arthur Waite then I think more of them will be sitting in the the Palace end. Palace are in a no-win situation with this one. The only one way of avoiding trouble is to BAN Millwall fans from Selhurst, and request Millwall to ban our fans for the Boxing Day game, that doesn't worry me personally as I have absolutely no intention of visiting the Nooden anyway. I don't think a ban on away fans would be too popular though.

Justin
06-08-2001, 01:11 PM
I went to the Old Den for the game Jim Cannon scored in injury time- can't remenber the year but was about 14/15 and was on my own. Being a coward i went in the Millwall mainstand to watch. Unfortunately when we scored i jumped up and despite the fact i was quite small for my age i have never had so many dodgy looks, so fast. Thankfully i realised this and so rescued the situation by screaming offside at the ref and so got out alive.

One of my favourite games of all time though was when we beat them 4-3 and Hopkins scored a 30 yard OG after about 2 mins.

MARKOFBLOCKB
06-08-2001, 01:16 PM
STOP BEING A BUNCH OF TARTS. I HAVE BEEN TO MILLWALL v PALACE MANY A TIMES I HAVE EVEN SAT IN THE MILLWALL END AND YOU WILL ONLY GET TROUBLE IF YOU ARE STUPID LIKE WEARING COLOURS OR WALKING DOWN THE STREET SINGING EAGLES.

GET AS MANY PALACE THERE AS POSSIBLE AND GET BEHIND THE TEAM AND LETS GET YET ANOTHER 3 POINTS AT MILLWALL

arussell
06-08-2001, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear about that Daniel and it just goes to prove what I am always saying.

There are problems at Millwall still AND the problem is still as big as it ever was. Paphitis is either an idiot - or just wants to ignore the obvious (I wonder what spin he'd put on this).

I've said it one already and I'll say it again - Palace should limit the number of tickets that Millwall have for the game at Selhurst and vigorously police the selling of them to make sure that problems don't occur in a few months time.

Sandowneagle
06-08-2001, 02:08 PM
I don't understand your worries - it's all a coincidence when Millwall are involved.

Following a pitch invasion and throwing bricks at women and kids at Reading away last year Capital Mold described Millwall fans as passionate fans who were provoked.

At Stoke when Millwall fans smashed up pubs and shops again both Millwall and the local press came out to support Millwall.

At Swansea after crowd trouble the Millwall chairman described the troublemakers as 'no fans of Millwall'. Well. bliming heck Mr Opolopolopolopoloplopoplous they follow your club and you've done very little to stop them.

And best of all, at Wrexham, following the game being delayed / stopped due to Millwall fans running onto the pitch to get into the Wrexham section and with pictures on BBc news of 'toe to toe fighting' both Millwall and Capital Mold described the trouble as Millwall fans wanting to get onto another terrace as theres was too full!!!

Both Millwall and the local press want to cover up the problem, and I've seen little evidence of them trying to free themselves from the hooligans. When have you ever heard them say they have a problem.

Ian of Chatham
06-08-2001, 02:26 PM
I disagreed with you on this on another thread arussell, but for your proposal to work the sale of tickets to Palace supporters must be regulated as well, not only that but if say 6,000 Millwall fans want to go to the game there is the additional problem of turning back 4,000 Millwall fans if we give them only 2,000 tickets. I don't think the Millwall fans would be prepared to listen to warnings like "No tickets will be made available on the day of the game".

Also if we limit the amount of tickets sold to Millwall, expect Millwall to impose a similar limit to us on Boxing day which may mean that some of you that wish to go the the New Den won't be going.

Scoot
06-08-2001, 02:48 PM
Listened to Talk Sport on the way back from Oxford and have read reports on the web, Spurs were by no means innocent in all this but then as eveybody knows Millwall do not care who they attack.
I was going to take my 6 year old (had his 1st away saturday) to his first Millwall game on the 8th but the mussis has totally banned the idea:hmph:

Anyway back to that tw@t Alan Brazil, who then went on about the start of the season Millwall playing Cardiff and Birmingham and virtually accepting the fact that there would be trouble but then it is Millwall so lets 'brush it under the carpet'. I would guess that 80% of the scum that go to Millwall do so for the aggro because of thier rep and care nothing for the club.
The decent fans from that part of london come to Palace ;)

The OB will let Millwall get away with 'murder' at Selhurst as usual and it is us decent fans who will have to suffer .... AND WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DRINK IN THE OPEN ANYMORE!

arussell
06-08-2001, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
In one way you are right, Brett there will be Millwall fans sitting in the Palace End whether you give them the Arthur Waite or not. If you don't give them the Arthur Waite then I think more of them will be sitting in the the Palace end.

Not if you restrict tickets as we did for the Liverpool game Ian ;)

No reason why they can't only be available to season ticket holders or club members is there ?

Ian of Chatham
06-08-2001, 03:24 PM
Like I said in the last thread on this subject arussell, we "restricted" tickets to Liverpool fans and filled the rest of the seats, so it was justifiable. This time round we would be leaving them empty, If it wasn't Millwall we're playing I would question the logic of doing that alone, and would certainly not be too happy if other clubs did the same to us for away Palace games, i.e. restricting tickets to us and leaving large pockets of the ground empty.

Kevin T
06-08-2001, 03:25 PM
Think I might try and sit in the Players for this one, so I can have a nice drink after the game without having to first negotiate what will surely be a running battle on the Holmesdale Road.

Kevin T
06-08-2001, 03:30 PM
On second thoughts, upper tier might be a better idea. Lovely new bar and I can watch the action out the window :)

Brod
06-08-2001, 04:42 PM
I'm keeping well away :D

I'm best man at a wedding in Iowa in Sept and seeing my girlfriend in Taiwan over Xmas. Is this far enough away?

Unfortunately, I'll also miss the first home game of the season cos of the stag do...

OOCO
06-08-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Kevin T
On second thoughts, upper tier might be a better idea. Lovely new bar and I can watch the action out the window :)

Top idea! Get a nice view of the action!

Blind_Eagle
06-08-2001, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by MARKOFBLOCKB
.......AND YOU WILL ONLY GET TROUBLE IF YOU ARE STUPID LIKE WEARING COLOURS OR WALKING DOWN THE STREET SINGING EAGLES.

So its STUPID (sic) to do what I, and most other fans, do at every Palace game? :rolleyes:

Whats stupid is that idiots like the Millwall fans are still permitted to attend football matches and intimidate ordinary fans who are there to support their team and watch the football.:grrr:

PJ
07-08-2001, 02:13 PM
So there was a major disturbance on the streets of South London involving Millwall fans on Saturday and what is the reaction in today's South London Press. To pretend it didn't happen and completely fail to mention it. Either they think Millwall fans rioting is such an everyday occurence that isn't worth reporting anymore or they're so far up the club's arse that an editorial decision has been made to sweep it under the carpet. I wonder which ?

MARKOFBLOCKB
09-08-2001, 12:27 AM
BLIND EAGLE I ALWAYS WEAR COLOURS HOME & AWAY BUT AGAINST MILLWALL IT IS STUPID YOU'RE MAKEING YOURSELF A EASY TARGET FOR THE SCUM