PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Maybe Have Too Many Midfielders

Kevan Woz Awful
03-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Understatement of the year from Martin Jol but a mouthwatering selection - anyone you fancy?

Jol said: "Everybody talks about our big squad. In the centre of defence we have five players with Calum Davenport on loan but last week we ended up with just two.

"But in midfield we maybe have too many players and they have to fight the competition for a place. If they don't play they can always come to me and ask if they can go on loan and come back as a better player.

"Davis and Mendes were injured for six months, Brown for three months and it is very difficult to go into the team straight off, so you have to prove something. If it is difficult at our club maybe it is better for a player to go on loan."

The club have more midfielders than any other in the Premiership with Jermaine Jenas, Pedro Mendes, Teemu Tainio, Andy Reid, Aaron Lennon, Edgar Davids, Sean Davis, Michael Brown, Michael Carrick and Wayne Routledge (currently injured) all vying for a place in the first team.

davematt
03-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I will take Wayne Routledge back off them! :D

Realistically, Michael Brown. His description = Goal scoring midfielder.

Braders
03-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Iain Dowie please take note.:p

dannyturner
03-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I would take any of them on loan, except for Routledge. Stay away poisonous little judas!

ReadingPalace
03-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Here we go again...

akinbiyifan
03-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by dannyturner
I would take any of them on loan, except for Routledge. Stay away poisonous little judas!

He honoured his contract how is that being a judas.

Kevan Woz Awful
03-10-2005, 04:10 PM

Oh Dear - How Sad, Move On.

macstar
03-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by akinbiyifan
He honoured his contract how is that being a judas.

the 'throwing down of the shirt' incident seems to have been forgotten by a number of people.

Hard to forgive the little runt after that.:veryangry

dannyturner
03-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Hoorah! Some people seem to have their heads up their arses when it comes to Routledge.

Webb
03-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Oh dear. Lets start this non-debate again, shall we? Where has Routledge never not honoured his contract?

pete eagle
03-10-2005, 04:30 PM
They have too many centre midfielders rather than wingers, unless Lennon does something spectacular then I can see Wayne coming back in when he gets fit.

pedro
03-10-2005, 04:35 PM
No problem with Wayne but I genuinely prefer Jobi in the team, he is just as good going forward but tracks back much better. Sean Davis would be a good option but not sure about Michael Brown, a little too similar to Hughes.

Gooders
03-10-2005, 04:42 PM
For sure.

Brett
03-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Gooders
For sure.

You mean "fors shure"?

PalaceSi
03-10-2005, 05:02 PM
There's no point reopening the Routledge debate but it does reinforse the thoughts of many that Wayne will play very little first team football in the forseable future and he better get very used to life on the bench. Personally i thought he made a big mistake leaving us and like Clinton he'll probably get very frustrated playing very few games. Moving to a big club might seem like bigger and better things but it can easily lead to a career nosedive if you never get on the pitch. The midfield competition at Spurs is severe and is likely to be for a long time, the better they get the harder it will be for him to get a chance and he'll probably start pining for the ever present status he had last season. I know he's been injured but even when he's fit i can't see him being first choice and as a young player he's more likely to be earmarked as one for the future than the likes of Edgar Davids. I personally hope he regrets his decision to leave so other promising young players might realise that staying with the smaller clubs is actually quite a shrewd thing to do.

Gooders
03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Brett
You mean "fors shure"?

Spotters badge Brett. :p

muswell eagle
03-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Routledge is out injured for at least two more months and possibly for the rest of the season. There seems little point speculating on whether he will start for the foreseeable future.

I hope he recovers fully, but I am glad Spurs are paying for his convalescence rather than us.

Shipp Ahoy!
03-10-2005, 05:29 PM
How about we forget about Wayne and think about another player on loan.

Can anyone see him coming back here anyway on loan or otherwise considering his treatment last year? He made a massive mistake me thinks in going to Spurs though. Had he not got injured and continued in the first team he probably would have been great. But he won't walk back into the team and is probably about 7th choice. Silly really!

chelmsfordeagle
04-10-2005, 07:57 AM
with the exception of tanio (who I know little about) I can't see any other the others dropping to the championship should theybe loaned out. All of them would, IMO find a place at a Prem club.

JJO
04-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by chelmsfordeagle
with the exception of tanio (who I know little about) I can't see any other the others dropping to the championship should theybe loaned out. All of them would, IMO find a place at a Prem club.

Along with Davids, Tainio is their best and most important central midfielder (and can also play down the right). Fantastic two way midfielder and has started very strongly for Spurs as well. No way you'll ever see him in the CCC.

Brown and Davis seem the most likely cadidates to me, they don't offer Spurs anything they don't already have in their 237 other midfielders. Also, they've struggled with injuries and at least Davis isn't the same player he was when he got his call-up some time ago.

Jenas has been awful, but because he's an expensive, young, promising british midifielder he'll kep getiign chances.

GreatGonzo
04-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Would be very happy if we got Michael Brown in on loan.

Radders
04-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Would be very happy if we got Michael Brown in on loan.

Jesus. I agree with Gonzo (Vomit smiley.:) )

Realistically though, if he's looking for a loan move in January, Warnock will be sniffing and I'm sure he will go there.

GUCCI Eagle
04-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Do bears maybe shit in the woods?

eagles #1
04-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Poor little Wayne.....

(hehe)

RickyB
04-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I would take any of them on loan, except for Routledge. Stay away poisonous little judas! you are an idiot.

dufski13
04-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by PalaceSi
There's no point reopening the Routledge debate but it does reinforse the thoughts of many that Wayne will play very little first team football in the forseable future and he better get very used to life on the bench. Personally i thought he made a big mistake leaving us and like Clinton he'll probably get very frustrated playing very few games. Moving to a big club might seem like bigger and better things but it can easily lead to a career nosedive if you never get on the pitch. The midfield competition at Spurs is severe and is likely to be for a long time, the better they get the harder it will be for him to get a chance and he'll probably start pining for the ever present status he had last season. I know he's been injured but even when he's fit i can't see him being first choice and as a young player he's more likely to be earmarked as one for the future than the likes of Edgar Davids. I personally hope he regrets his decision to leave so other promising young players might realise that staying with the smaller clubs is actually quite a shrewd thing to do.

I think that's nonsense. Routledge will get into the Spurs side on merit. He is exactly the type of dynamic attacking player that will help their improvement. Is it wise for any young player with ambition to move onto un-deniably a much bigger club, presumably for more money, so that they can try & better themselves as players & further their ambitions ? In the most cases you would have to answer yes, sometimes it doesn't work out, but you'll never know unless you have the bottle to give it a go. routledge will play when fit, maybe not every game, but he'll play a fair bit. Spurs don't have that many wide players, & currently it seems that it is Reid who is likely to lose out to Davids. they are playing young Lennon wide right, so do you really believe that Wayne isn't capable of challenging him for that starting spot on the right ? the Morrisson thing is different, i still don't think that he really got a decent go of it at Birmingham, with both the way they play & also it seemed that Bruce was always looking to replace him, which must do wonders for your confidence. Thewya he has started back at Palace , to my mind a much improved player to the one who left us, & also his international record would suggest that Clinton has the quality to succeed at a higher level.
As for who i'd like out of the multitude of mid-fielders they have it would be Brown or Davies, but I doubt either are particularly realistic.

dodge_bond
04-10-2005, 04:47 PM
michael brown please

Shoreditch CPFC
05-10-2005, 08:58 AM
I'd take any of them

montstar
05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
skty sports said they had a total of 14 midfielders!

Jay_Palace
05-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Sean Davis is available on loan and would be a great signing for us. As Shoreditch says though, we probably would take any of them if offered.

nomad
05-10-2005, 04:08 PM

twat

dannyturner
05-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Thank you for your considered opinion!

dannyturner
05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by nomad
twat

Is it time for your medication or mine?:eek:

nomad
05-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Thank you for your considered opinion!

So you don't mind RickyB calling you an idiot but object to being called a twat? I really don't know why people like you seem to have to carry on making offensive remarks about Wayne Routledge months after he has left the club. All he was guilty of was not renewing his contract. He carried on playing to the best of his ability right up until that time. You cannot blame him wanting to better himself by going to a bigger and estavlished Prem club playing in front of much bigger crowds. He is ambitious and wants to play for his country. Can you blame him? I actually feel very sorry for him being sidelined for the best part of the season.

It was probably "boo boys" like you that convinced him that he had made the right decision to leave.

dannyturner
06-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I object to being called both an idiot and a twat. I don't have the time or inclination to go through my considered arguments about WR again. You can look them up if you want. Now if you want to start another thread entitled "the WR fan club" be my guest.

THIS IS MY LAST ROUTLEDGE POST!

Mong!
06-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Do you blame him leaving when we offered him a shit contract though? After all it's his job. He's only doing what most players would've done...

Dobbo
06-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Spurs mate says Aaron Lennon is much better than Wayne anyway.......

3rd_Lion
07-10-2005, 11:35 AM
They havent seen wanye play a full game yet I dont think as he got injured after teh first game at pompey.

They are cetainly missing a crosser of the ball with Reid not producing. Lennon, according to my spurs mate, only had a blinder against grimbsy in the cup and they aint exactly Man Utd are they!

Jay_Palace
07-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Dobbo
Spurs mate says Aaron Lennon is much better than Wayne anyway.......

Somehow I doubt that one very much. Spurs have been very impressed by Wayne when he has played for them this season.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
07-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Routledge posts :bash: :bash: :bash: No please. :sob: :sob: :sob:

bigee
07-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels
Routledge posts :bash: :bash: :bash: No please. :sob: :sob: :sob:
Stop posting in them then!!

magician
07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
the spurs curse has struck again !
can't remember wayne missing more than a couple of games in a row (if that ) for us over the few years !
good old spurs

alaneagle
07-10-2005, 09:48 PM
lannon played brilliantlt 4 england u 21's

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
09-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by bigee
Stop posting in them then!! Eh? What's that got to do with anything? Oh I forgot - you're his sister or mum or something aren't you :rolleyes:

Eagle El
09-10-2005, 02:10 AM
Palace 3 Spurs 0

Bigger? Better?

Diamondeagle
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I know this has been posted before but can't be bothered to find it so no moderators moaning at me please ...but reading again about Spurs having a clearout in January I think we should try to get Rasiak on loan. He proved last year he can score goals in the CCC, he would be hungry to prove himself, he is if I remember good in the air.

To give us that push to promotion we need to have 4 good forwards so we can have 2 on the bench to bring on if things aren't going our way. like Sheff Utd do - AJ, Morrison, Dougie and Rasiak ( I an not sure about Macken yet and Wayne Andrews is terrible)

PS I would also go for Brown on loan

dodge_bond
05-11-2005, 01:15 PM
brown yes, But wayne andrews is our super sub! ! !

Diamondeagle
05-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Not to detract from the theme of this thread but I am truly amazed by people on BBS who support Wayne Andrews as he really is one of the worse professional players I have seen. Can't fault his effort and he runs fast but controlling the ball is a basic requirement of a park player let alone a professional footballer ! Would you honestly rahter have WA on the bench than Rasiak ?

Gobsy88
05-11-2005, 01:27 PM
I would take Rasiak on loan and Brown.

As for Wayne Andrews, I think he's better on the wing and he's a good backup there.

Benzhiyi
05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Diamondeagle
Can't fault his effort

That's the reason people support him. So long as Wayne gives 100 per cent, getting on his back does us no favours - it's up to Dowie whether or not Andrews is in the side, not Wayne himself.

GreatGonzo
05-11-2005, 01:58 PM
We have 4 good strikers, we need players in other areas long before we sign more strikers!

nomad
06-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by dodge_bond
brown yes, But wayne andrews is our super sub! ! !

Well, he is a sub but super seems to be stretching things a bit.

Shipp Ahoy!
06-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Who won our penalty yesterday?? :rolleyes:

follow cpfc
06-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Brown i would love in loan. But we really do not need another striker even if he is on loan

dodge_bond
06-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Boyce! ! ! !

BLUE BOY
06-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Who won our penalty yesterday?? :rolleyes:

Erm.......Boyce! :rolleyes:

magician
06-11-2005, 06:26 PM
do you really believe that rasiak would fancy a place on our bench over a place on the bench at spurs !
at least he can talk to wayne during the game at white hart lane !

dave_the_eagle8
08-11-2005, 07:35 PM
to be honest i would welcome wayne back if we got him on loan. i heard hes back in a few weeks. i believe that wayne will be in the first team over taino or whatever because before wayne was injured he didnt do anything wrong and deserves his place

Shipp Ahoy!
10-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by BLUE BOY
Erm.......Boyce! :rolleyes:

Um, Muchos Apologose.

Radio feed I was listening to said Andrews.

m355y
14-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Brown turned a season-long loan with us down today, saying he wants to fight for his first team place at Spurs. But if he's still not broken through by the NY things might look different, and at least this shows they're prepared to let him go. And let's face it, Palace still carry a bit more credibility than we do anyway.

Shame, I'm in total agreement (even if I'm thinking about a different club!), Brown's a class player, would be superb for anyone to get on loan.

The Vicar
14-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by m355y
Brown turned a season-long loan with us down today, saying he wants to fight for his first team place at Spurs. But if he's still not broken through by the NY things might look different, and at least this shows they're prepared to let him go. And let's face it, Palace still carry a bit more credibility than we do anyway.

Shame, I'm in total agreement (even if I'm thinking about a different club!), Brown's a class player, would be superb for anyone to get on loan.

We should be trying to bring him in on loan big time.

NZsparky
15-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by The Vicar
We should be trying to bring him in on loan big time.
We want to buy him not loan him

The Vicar
15-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by NZsparky
We want to buy him not loan him

Even better.

Scoot
18-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by m355y

Spurs mate here seems to think he is on his way back to Sheff Utd
with Reid on his way to Leeds if Spurs get Robben from Chels.

Dobbo
18-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Scoot
if Spurs get Robben from Chels.
Not a chance of that happening......

cpfc_spc1982
24-11-2005, 08:40 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/englhsnews2241105.html

that would be cheeky.

RickyB
24-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't mind Reid at all!

davematt
24-11-2005, 09:00 AM
If Andy Reid is available I would be shocked if we didn't go in for him. We still need another wide player, and considering that Reich has yet to sign a new deal, come January, we will be down to the McAnuff. I know Andrews done a good job on Tuesday, but he is not the long term answer. In January, we need to get rid of some of the so called 'Deadwood' and bring in a new winger.

Out:

Hudson - With Popovic ahead of him as the back up, his chances will be restricted and I cant see him playing
Butterfield - Danny does not seem to be able to get back to his best. Boyce will always be first choice, and Fray will develop into a good back up.
Aki - I hate saying this, but he is 5th choice at present, as Dowie will play Watson, Soares, & Mikele ahead of him, whatever the case. He doesnt deserve that.
Macken - 4th choice striker. Would rather see Lewis Grabbon take this spot, as he is young and on a cheap wage. Having a high earner as a 4th choice striker will lead to financial disaster
Black - Simply a woeful player and not good enough for our first team

Neil 154
24-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Kevan Woz Awful
Wayne Routledge (currently injured)

Didn't he play against us in reserves last night? Could mean he's soon available to play 1st team footie.

cpfc_spc1982
25-11-2005, 09:08 AM
not a midfielder, but someone mentioned we tried to get a swap deal for him when spurs signed routledge but kelly has said he might wanna leave in search of first team football and is out of contract at the end of the season.
would improve the team but right back isnt really a position that needs strengthening like others.

alaneagle
25-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by davematt
If Andy Reid is available I would be shocked if we didn't go in for him. We still need another wide player, and considering that Reich has yet to sign a new deal, come January, we will be down to the McAnuff. I know Andrews done a good job on Tuesday, but he is not the long term answer. In January, we need to get rid of some of the so called 'Deadwood' and bring in a new winger.

Out:

Hudson - With Popovic ahead of him as the back up, his chances will be restricted and I cant see him playing
Butterfield - Danny does not seem to be able to get back to his best. Boyce will always be first choice, and Fray will develop into a good back up.
Aki - I hate saying this, but he is 5th choice at present, as Dowie will play Watson, Soares, & Mikele ahead of him, whatever the case. He doesnt deserve that.
Macken - 4th choice striker. Would rather see Lewis Grabbon take this spot, as he is young and on a cheap wage. Having a high earner as a 4th choice striker will lead to financial disaster
Black - Simply a woeful player and not good enough for our first team

would agree with most of those, except aki and mayb butterfield. Also i think maybe we should get rid of andrews and send out a few younger lads (fray etc) on loan

aj4england
25-11-2005, 09:03 PM
-popovic and hudson should be offloaded as you can get a cheap centre back for next to nothing look at boyce.
-black never of got a new contract.
-despites andrews goal and i admire his workrate we need busy midfield battlers i.e harper form reading etc
-macken should never have been bought for 750k where lita was 1mil and trundle looks like going to sheff utd for 1.3mil
-aki looks past it but we would have to replace with a hardworking busy battling midfielder sidwell etc
-im having my doubts about gabor and fitz especially. 1.5 mil each = 3mil buy a carlo nash 500k type goaly solid at this level and centre back for 500 for this level then theres money for a left back

cpfc_spc1982
28-11-2005, 10:04 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/englhnews2281105.html

we could do alot worse than davenport, wont happen sadly as dowie loves crappy hall.
when we played cov on the last day of the season a couple of years back he was outstanding.

cpfc_spc1982
28-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
not a midfielder, but someone mentioned we tried to get a swap deal for him when spurs signed routledge but kelly has said he might wanna leave in search of first team football and is out of contract at the end of the season.
would improve the team but right back isnt really a position that needs strengthening like others.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/november/englisnews9281105.html