PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth Goalkeeper Dead

crystal eagle
05-08-2001, 06:54 PM
My brother has just told me that he died in a car crash i feel ever so sorry to his family and friends and also to the club please pay your respects

crystal eagle
05-08-2001, 06:58 PM
Portsmouth goalkeeper Aaron Flahavan has died after a car accident, the club have announced.
The 25-year-old was involved in the crash on Saturday night, although the circumstances are still under investigation.

Graham Rix paid tribute to the former Pompey trainee and offered his condolences to Flahavan's friends and family.

Many people at the club have watched Aaron grow up and mature into a fine young man and goalkeeper

Portsmouth club statement
"It's really sad. I feel for his family, he was a really smashing young lad," he told the club's official website, www.pompeyfc.co.uk.
A club statement on their website said: "Everybody at the club is shocked and devastated by the news and our deepest sympathy goes out to his family and partner at this time.

"Our prayers and thoughts are with them in their grief.

"Many people at the club have watched Aaron grow up and mature into a fine young man and goalkeeper.

"For now it's hard to take in, but first and foremost our sincere condolences go out to his family."
Search BBC Sport Online

Daniel_Nash
05-08-2001, 07:41 PM
It's very sad. Such a waste of a young life :(

wighteagle
05-08-2001, 08:32 PM
Dreadful news. I'm sure everybody at Palace sends their sincere condolences to his family and everyone associated with Portsmouth Football Club.

Hallowed Turf Of Selhurst
05-08-2001, 08:34 PM
such tragic news, condolences to his family and friends

Strathclyde Eagle
05-08-2001, 09:13 PM
I've got a couple of good friends who are Pompey fans, and after hearing the news I SMSed them my condolences.

I have since spoken to one who recounted Aaron Flahavan's history of blackouts. The concern is that he had a blackout whilst driving.

Once again a reminder that football is not more important than life.

Coulsdon Eagle
05-08-2001, 09:41 PM
A sad day, our condolences to his family and pompey fans, 25 is no age to die, :(

Trolley
05-08-2001, 11:33 PM
What tragic news.

Our thoughts and prayers must go out to all the family and friends of Aaron Flahavan at this sad time.

the_next_matt_jansen
05-08-2001, 11:36 PM
I can only add my condolences to the list above. Its very sad news.

eaglesrus
05-08-2001, 11:37 PM
I dislike pompey however i am shocked with this news. I pay my condolences first of all to his family and then to the club.

OOCO
06-08-2001, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Coulsdon Eagle
A sad day, our condolences to his family and pompey fans, 25 is no age to die, :(

Too right. Condolences to family, friends and PFC fans. :( :(

NO1FAN
06-08-2001, 04:16 AM
I can only mirror what has been said above 25 is a very young age and he had his hole life ahead of him my condolences go out to all his friends and family and every one to do with PFC.

sydney eagle
06-08-2001, 04:51 AM
so sad when someone so young is taken like this.:(

Psychokiller
06-08-2001, 01:13 PM
Just goes to show how any of us could pass away at any time.

God bless you, Aaron.

Ian of Chatham
06-08-2001, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
I have since spoken to one who recounted Aaron Flahavan's history of blackouts. The concern is that he had a blackout whilst driving.

Once again a reminder that football is not more important than life.
That's what concerned me when I first heard the sad news.

Life is definitely more important than football, my sympathies go to Aaron's family, friends and his Portsmouth colleagues and supporters.

Hemeleagle
06-08-2001, 01:33 PM
My thoughts and sympathies are will his family and friends, 25 is no age to die.
R.I.P

Al From Bromley
06-08-2001, 02:05 PM
It just shows how cruel life can be sometimes. Everyone looking forward to the new season, lively debate about players and hopes for the coming year and then something tragic like this happens. Condolences to his family and to Pompey fans. I hope there will be a minute's silence around the grounds this weekend as a mark of respect.

Stephenson Soundbyter
06-08-2001, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
I hope there will be a minute's silence around the grounds this weekend as a mark of respect.

Obviously there will be at the Portsmouth match wherever they are playing but I would be very surprised if it happened anywhere else, including Rotherham. :(

Benzhiyi
06-08-2001, 02:26 PM
Very sad news. I can only echo the thoughts that everyone else has voiced.

RIP Aaron.

BaldEagle69
06-08-2001, 06:05 PM
Tragic news. 25 is so young and with so much to live for.

There must be a minutes silence at all Nationwide games this weekend including Rotherham

My condolences to his family and to all at Pompey.

Benzhiyi
06-08-2001, 09:38 PM
If you'd like to leave a tribute go to http://www.portsmouth-mad.co.uk/messageboard/mboard.asp

Strathclyde Eagle
07-08-2001, 02:51 AM
I don't know what to say in regard to this. It is just utterly sad.

From The News (http://www.thenews.co.uk) (local Portsmouth paper):

POLICE PROBE ON KEEPER'S DEATH

POLICE are investigating whether Pompey goalkeeper Aaron Flahavan blacked out moments before he was killed in an horrific crash.

The 25-year-old's blue BMW 328 mysteriously careered out of control and flipped over as he drove along a dual carriageway early yesterday.

Today it emerged that Flahavan had a discharged himself from hospital on the morning of the accident.

He had been receiving treatment for medical problems for his blackouts which had recurred in recent weeks. Earlier in his career he twice suffered blackouts during matches.

Flahavan was driving along the A338 towards Bournemouth in Dorset when his coupe suddenly veered through a three-metre gap in the central reservation just after midnight .

It crossed the northbound carriageway and rolled over four times before coming to rest on its roof in a field.

In the darkness, it was an hour before Flahavan's body was found lying about 25ft from the car.

The goalkeeper who had played more than 100 times for Pompey was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mike Maber, spokesman for Dorset police, said: 'It was quite late so there were hardly any motorists using the road.

'We were aware that Mr Flahavan had suffered blackouts in the past.

'We don't know what caused him to crash but the blackout line is something we are looking into at this stage.'

Pompey director Fred Dinenage said Flahavan had suffered a recurrence of his medical problems during recent weeks.

He said: 'We all thought his problem was under control through medication.

'It's true that in recent weeks he had suffered a few problems and had spent some time in hospital. But we thought everything was okay now.'

Police said the results of a post-mortem examination were expected today.

Latvian Eagle
08-08-2001, 04:50 PM
I have posted on the pompey condolences board, tis such a sad thing to happen, I've only seen him play once and that was when we beat them 4-2, although he didn't look good in that game I'd heard a lot about him, not just because of the blackouts and that collision with the Swindon player on his first game back, It's so sad :( R.I.P Arron

Flahavan

sideshow bob
12-08-2001, 04:11 AM
Shocking news,still hard to believe.

R.I.P.

Axie
21-11-2001, 06:01 PM
From Ananova today.......

First division goalie over drink-drive limit

A First Division football team's goalkeeper was more than three times over the drink-drive limit when he lost control of his BMW at high speed, an inquest has heard.

Aaron Flahavan, 25, of Portsmouth FC was driving towards Bournemouth on the A338 when he lost control of his car.

The inquest in Bournemouth heard it crossed the central reservation and flipped end over end before coming to a halt in foliage by a ditch.

Flahavan, of Gloucester Square, Southampton, Hants was thrown from the vehicle in the accident which happened at 12.30am on August 5th this year.

Despite searches by police, ambulance and fire-fighters using thermal imaging equipment, his body was not found until two and a half hours later by a council worker clearing away the debris.

Home Office pathologist, Dr Allan Anscombe told the inquest that Flahavan would have died within minutes from a severe fractured skull.

The inquest heard in a statement by eyewitness, Graham Gilmore that Flahavan's BMW 3 series had overtaken his vehicle at high speed and he had told his passenger that he thought the BMW would not make the bend that was coming up.

Mr Gilmore said that he had been travelling at 80mph when Flahavan had overtaken.

Another witness, Robin Green, a taxi driver told the inquest he saw the BMW lose control. He said the car had gone through the crash barrier, flown through the air and was turning end over end before it left his sight.

Council worker Kevin Rodda who found the body told the inquest that the footballer's body was about three metres from the vehicle in dense foliage.

A post-mortem examination showed a blood alcohol level of 227 milligrams per 100 millilitres and the legal limit is 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres.

Sunny Fan
21-11-2001, 08:49 PM
"would have died within minutes"

That's a bit chilling, sems like a very long time.

Simon Forrest
21-11-2001, 08:54 PM
I echo the above entirely.

So pleased to note that this kind of subject is dealt with maturely, both in football and on the bbs. We should be proud of ourselves.

The Omen
22-11-2001, 04:14 AM
What a waste of life and by the sounds of it, it could have been avoided.

What an idiot to drink and drive, he had a career that most people can only dream of, and he threw it all away. :(

Santos-er
22-11-2001, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by The Omen
What a waste of life and by the sounds of it, it could have been avoided.

What an idiot to drink and drive, he had a career that most people can only dream of, and he threw it all away. :(

Won't make it any easier for his family. At least he doesn't have to deal with the consequences of throwing it all away :(