PDA

View Full Version : Rangers eye Dowie

eagles #1
20-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Or so it says in the Sunday Mirror...

Iain Dowie is in contention to become the next Rangers boss. The Crystal Palace manager is believed to be keen on making the trip to Ibrox after a frustrating season at Selhurst Park.

And with pressure mounting on Alex McLeish, especially in the wake of yesterdays 3-0 defeat at Celtic, an approach has been made.

Rangers are now 13 points behing their Old Firm arch rivalsin the race for the SPL.

A Palace source said "Rangers are definitely interested in Iain Dowie becoming their next manager but from what we can gather there has been no official approach yet."

Dowie takes Palace to the Withdean Stadium today with police on high alert for the clash with bitter rivals Brighton.

When the sides met at Selhurst Park in October violence broke out in a nearby pub. Sussex police are taking no chances and have drafted in extra officers.

Sorry if there's already a thread on this...couldn't see one.

palace_burger
20-11-2005, 12:21 PM
why would anyone want to go into Scottish football?

Dave
20-11-2005, 12:23 PM
why would anyone want to go into Scottish football? apart from the money and European football?

eagles #1
20-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Dave
apart from the money and European football? Yea. Apart from that?

Dave
20-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
Yea. Apart from that? :rolleyes:

cpfcben
20-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Dowie, a man of his word. I would like to think so!

Dave
20-11-2005, 12:42 PM
eagles #1 - if you continue to try and bypass the bswear filter you will be stopped from posting

eagles #1
20-11-2005, 12:47 PM
eagles #1 - if you continue to try and bypass the bswear filter you will be stopped from posting LOL!!

AJ
20-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, at least a bad Rangers manager will end up winning one of the domestic competitions and get a team into Europe :o

Marshy
20-11-2005, 02:33 PM
He wouldnt have european football at Rangers after January this season and as for next year....Rangers will do well to finish top half of the SPL - A v.poor side.

Phil O'Sophical
20-11-2005, 05:22 PM
More from the Belfast Telegraph

Football: Dowie major contender to take over from McLeish

By Paul Ferguson

20 November 2005
FORMER Northern Ireland folk hero Iain Dowie could be in the frame to replace Alex McLeish at Rangers if the axe falls...

Dowie (below) has impressed the Ibrox hierarchy with his tough, no-nonsense style of leadership at Crystal Palace.

He is particularly high in the estimation of Gers chairman David Murray.

The hope would be that Dowie, if appointed, will make the same sensational impact as his fellow countryman Martin O'Neill did at Parkhead five years ago.

The Selhurst Park supremo, who won 59 caps for Northern Ireland during the Nineties, has been at the south London club since 2003.

Murray admitted on Thursday that he has already considered possible replacements for McLeish.

The Rangers chairman said: "At all times we are looking at alternatives. I would not be doing my job if I did not have a look at what route I would go down.

"I have kept my own counsel with (chief executive) Martin Bain but we know what we would do.

"Of course we have talked about a potential successor. If I did not do that I would not be doing my job."

"But nobody has been offered a job. We have been offered about 10 people who want to manage the club."

Former Hearts boss George Burley, Terry Butcher and Alan Curbishley are all believed to be in the frame for Govan's top job - but it seems Dowie is favourite in Murray's eyes.

Warrior McLeish, who took over from Dick Advocaat in December 2001, is still very much in charge at Ibrox, however his time as boss of the SPL champions is surely running out, especially after yesterday's 3-0 defeat to the Bhoys at Parkhead.

Rangers are well behind in the Championship race, have been knocked out of the CIS Cup and their Champions League ambitions hang by a thread.

Murray is expected to wield his axe if Rangers are knocked out of Europe this week in Porto.

Despite only going into the management game four years ago, Dowie has already constructed an impressive CV.

After a successful spell at Oldham, the former powerhouse centre forward moved south to London in December 1993, and amazingly four months later managed to guide Palace into the Premiership via the Play-offs, even though the Eagles had been in 19th place when the 40-year-old took over the Selhurst Park hotseat.

Crystal Palace were relegated at the end of last season from England's top flight, but that hasn't tarnished Dowie's growing reputation.

No doubt, Palace chairman Simon Jordan will be determined to keep his prized manager at Selhurst Park.

La Bombonera
20-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Rangers who? :p

Kevin T
20-11-2005, 08:17 PM
I like the bit about Dowie being a folk hero!

"Are you going to Scarborough fair....."

jone-zee
20-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Phil O'Sophical

He is particularly high in the estimation of Gers chairman David Murray.

Sheep Shagging Flag Waver. Booooooooooooo:grrr:

dodge_bond
20-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Dowie wont move to scotland. If he "does" move then it will be to a club near bolton because of his family! ! !

davematt
20-11-2005, 08:27 PM
No chance of happening. Dowie is not big enough for this job YET.

boxing francis
20-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Who would Rangers be able to attract above Dowie?

Dave
20-11-2005, 08:31 PM
If they asked I'm sure he would go. Let's not kid ourselves that managing Palace is a better job than one of the old firm

kolinkins
20-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Agree Dave. I a no fan of the old firm, but Rangers is a huge job. Especially temptng for someone like Dowie, who is an impact manager.

davematt
20-11-2005, 08:34 PM
If they asked I'm sure he would go. Let's not kid ourselves that managing Palace is a better job than one of the old firm

I would be disappointed in him if he left. He spent the whole summer trying to keep a certain ammount of players, and then walks out himself? He will not leave. Anyway, he is not good enough YET for Rangers.

Dave
20-11-2005, 08:43 PM
The McLeish was arguably less well known when he took iver than Dowie is now.

Obviously I hope he isn't aked to go.

maestro
20-11-2005, 08:49 PM
6 months ago I would have have been really worried for palace if Dowie left, but now I dont really mind, I remember 2 years ago we played reading away and we were absolutely surperb and todays performance wasnt even a patch on that, I honestly think we had a better team 2 years ago, it was just underacheiving

Jay_Palace
20-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
Who would Rangers be able to attract above Dowie?

Reports suggest that Paul Le Guen is their number one target and is interested in the job.

PhilD
20-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Well if he goes, he goes. I hope he'll stay, but there are quite a few promising managers around who could replace him. Despite the win today I was quite frustrated by the apparent lack of spirit shown by Palace for much of the game.

If Rangers offered him the job I suspect he'd take it.

Shoreditch CPFC
20-11-2005, 09:54 PM
quite concerned about this. Hopefully it's crap about their chairman wanting him.

Jimbo ?
20-11-2005, 09:58 PM
having followed scottish football i would not take a rangers job with palace still aiming for the premiership. lower reaches of the premier or top of the spl - i would have thought the premiership everytime

Strathclyde Eagle
20-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Don't think Rangers fans would want him. I think they want a big name continental manager. I don't think they would accept what Dowie has done so far in his career as enough proof that he belongs at a club like that.

rhiannapaul
20-11-2005, 10:00 PM
bollexs how is he going to do that aswell as Irish job and newcastle

Ian of Chatham
20-11-2005, 10:45 PM
I would have thought they would go for Alan Curbishley instead of Dowie.

BW_Palace
20-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by PhilD
Well if he goes, he goes. I hope he'll stay, but there are quite a few promising managers around who could replace him. Despite the win today I was quite frustrated by the apparent lack of spirit shown by Palace for much of the game.

If Rangers offered him the job I suspect he'd take it.

Agreed. :)

Clapham Grand
20-11-2005, 11:13 PM
I would be amazed if this was true. Surely they would want a more high profile man?

limited_edition
20-11-2005, 11:53 PM
If he can't cope with the promotion expectations of lil ol' Palace, he'll be totally out of his depth at Ibrox.

Sandowneagle
21-11-2005, 07:45 AM
...and Dowie is a Gers fan.

Tony
21-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Ian of Chatham
I would have thought they would go for Alan Curbishley instead of Dowie.

I thought the prospect of years of mid-table anonymity is what Rangers are hoping to avoid.

Cleon
21-11-2005, 01:45 PM
I suspect, and hope, this is lazy journalism putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. However, we should not be stupid enough to imagine we could compete with Rangers, who are perennially in Europe and get crowds in excess of 50,000 every week.

Still, as Jordan pointed out, if your manager and players are getting linked with big clubs it shows they must be doing something right. I don't recall Celtic showing any interest in Alan Smith in 2001.

nellis
24-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Just heard from a colleague in our Glasgow office that rumours are rife up there that Dowie is on his way to Rangers.

Does anyone know anything about this?

:afro:

davematt
24-11-2005, 09:36 AM
:S: :S:

Oh well, Thats annoying.

smileysmith
24-11-2005, 09:53 AM
We've just gotta hope its not true and they don't want him. Dowie would go to Rangers ... and probably try and sign AJ.

palace_crystal
24-11-2005, 09:54 AM
European Club, one of the most succesful clubs in scottish history.
Huge following, massive club.

Dowie would be a fool not to accept a step up like that.

I would hate to see him go, as i think he's been the best manager of this club since Coppell.

bern5161
24-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Not sure Dowie is anti-Catholic enough for the job.

hughsey
24-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by bern5161
Not sure Dowie is anti-Catholic enough for the job.

And what has this got to do with being manager of Rangers? Wise up ffs.

If he does go it will be a huge step up in terms of pressure. There have been a number of potential names mentioned, Burley, Hitzfield, Le Guen, Curbishley and even Ferguson if the headline in the Sun is to be believed. If Dowie does go good luck to him, but I personally think that if AMc keeps Rangers in the Champions League he will still be the manager after Christmas. Its a bit of a difficult situation for David Murray- Do you sack the manager who has secured European football after Xmas(UEFA Cup) and possibly the knock out stages of the CL or keep him on for possibly only 2 games?

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith
We've just gotta hope its not true and they don't want him. Dowie would go to Rangers ... and probably try and sign AJ.

True

swissroll
24-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Slight credibility problem of that report when they mentioned Terry Butcher as being high up the list.

Dave
24-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Slight credibility problem of that report when they mentioned Terry Butcher as being high up the list. And Ferguson - he won't ever give them

Selhurst Celtic
24-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Personally I thought the Teddy Bears job would be offered to Butcher or Burley but you never know.

Roy Keane as player manager perhaps?

Or perhaps not. ;) :D :o

Strathclyde Eagle
24-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by nellis
Just heard from a colleague in our Glasgow office that rumours are rife up there that Dowie is on his way to Rangers.

Does anyone know anything about this?

:afro:
No such rumours in my office. Most publicity seems to be pointing towards Curbishley (unlikely) or Le Guen (expensive)

kolinkins
24-11-2005, 11:43 AM
And Ferguson - he won't ever give them

Fergie at Rangers, Keane at Celtic. Interest in the SPL would rocket!

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Selhurst Celtic
Personally I thought the Teddy Bears job would be offered to Butcher or Burley but you never know.

Roy Keane as player manager perhaps?

Or perhaps not. ;) :D :o

Perhaps not :)

GreatGonzo
24-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by smileysmith

One of few places Dowie could go and finance a deal to take AJ with him.

On the case of will AMc get the chop it is a hard pone to call. I think they have to look beyond the immediate European aspirations and look at teh fact that they want to qualify for the Champions League next season. To do that they have to finish top two and they are 13 points off 2nd at the moment. It is a real possibility right now that they will not qualify for Europe. (not sure how amny place Scotland get)

While i am sure the draw this week would have been welcomed defeat to Hibs at the weekend will put him in the last chance saloon, or could possibly even go them. The follow that up with Falkirk (shoudl win) and then a match with 5th placed Kilmarnock (with Inter sandwiched in betweeen) Got to be a mimimum of 2 wins and a draw from those 4 to keep his job i woudl have thought.

Dave
24-11-2005, 11:57 AM
One of few places Dowie could go and finance a deal to take AJ with him.

Oh dear. Rangers couldn't afford Andrews nevermind AJ

PengeEagle
24-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Oh dear. Rangers couldn't afford Andrews nevermind AJ

True, Rangers are skint.

sydnsteve
24-11-2005, 12:00 PM
If he goes he goes. He isn't setting the world alight, and as long as we got a decent replacement it's not a problem. But as part of the problem McCleish has is that Rangers are skint, I can't see them being able to afford AJ.

GreatGonzo
24-11-2005, 12:17 PM
How are they so skint?

They have made money in the transfer market regularly over the last few seasons they are playing in Europe and have gates pushing 50,000 every game.

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
How are they so skint?

They have made money in the transfer market regularly over the last few seasons they are playing in Europe and have gates pushing 50,000 every game.

I think both Celtic and The Forces Of Darkness are skint as you like.

Not sure as to the exact reasons.

hughsey
24-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Le Guen has been earmarked for the Real Madrid job at the end of the season. Butcher has done a remarkable job at Motherwell given the money restrictions he has had to put up with and the players at his disposal. Dont think he will get the job though. Cant see fergie wanting to leave united but if they dont qualify for the latter stages of the CL will he have much option? The Glaziers are looking for a quick return for their money afterall.

GreatGonzo
24-11-2005, 12:29 PM
In 2003/04 they made 10 million in the transfer market, since which time they have a deficiet of just over 1m in transfer fees approx.

The sell out 50,000 at Ibrox for 19 league games.

At an average of just 20 per ticket that is 19 million per year. Not to mention prize money and money from Europe or merchandising.

That equates to over 350,000 per week, just from home league gates. How much are they paying their players? :eek:

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 12:31 PM
In 2003/04 they made 10 million in the transfer market, since which time they have a deficiet of just over 1m in transfer fees approx.

The sell out 50,000 at Ibrox for 38 league games.

At an average of just 10 per ticket that is 19 million per year. Not to mention prize money and money from Europe or merchandising.

That equates to over 350,000 per week, just from home league gates. How much are they paying their players? :eek:

Tuppence ha'penny.

I haven't got a clue GG.

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 12:31 PM
PS

GG

Are the stats back ?

GreatGonzo
24-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Just realised i counted away games as well - opps

Still can't believe that a club of that size which such huge gates and European football is not able to spend at least 5-10 million on tranfers.

GreatGonzo
24-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Away Day Eagle
PS

GG

Are the stats back ?

Stats never go away, they are what make the world go round my friend. :p

Anyway with Dowie being a gers fan (if that is the case) i can see it being a very big attraction for him to go there. Whether they would want him is teh questionable bit.

GreatGonzo
24-11-2005, 12:34 PM

kolinkins
24-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Dowie is a West Ham fan

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Stats never go away, they are what make the world go round my friend. :p

Anyway with Dowie being a gers fan (if that is the case) i can see it being a very big attraction for him to go there. Whether they would want him is teh questionable bit.

He is a 'Gers (spit) man.

GreatGonzo
24-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Interesting, a little research shows.....
A rangers ST is 280
a single match costs 22

Cheaper than at Palace!

hughsey
24-11-2005, 12:54 PM
High wages, lack of TV money, previous overspending in the transfer market etc. The debt was around 50m until David Murray reduced that to ~20m via a share issue which he has effectively underwritten via his other companies. Due to previous managers overspending Mcleish has had to deal mostly in free transfers, Barry Ferguson being the exception. High earners like Michael Ball had to be sold in order for other players to be brought in. The days of spending 12m on Flo are long over for both Rangers and Celtic.

A new 14m training facility at Murray Park, which many regard as one of the best training facilities in Europe, hasnt really heped but its an asset and can hopefully produce more young players in the future.

squirrel
24-11-2005, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't want to work for a chairman who blatently uses the press to put pressure on his manager. Dowie has a firery personality and wouldn't last a week under David Murray.

KennyB
24-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by maestro
6 months ago I would have have been really worried for palace if Dowie left, but now I dont really mind, I remember 2 years ago we played reading away and we were absolutely surperb and todays performance wasnt even a patch on that, I honestly think we had a better team 2 years ago, it was just underacheiving

I often think back to that game and think "Kit, please come back to the first team where you belong".

I rate Dowie, but I wonder if Kit was still involved with the first team whether we would have had a couple of better (and more consistent) performnces.

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by KennyB
I often think back to that game and think "Kit, please come back to the first team where you belong".

I rate Dowie, but I wonder if Kit was still involved with the first team whether we would have had a couple of better (and more consistent) performnces.

You're not the first or the last one to say that.

hughsey
24-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Why was N McD brought in anyway?

Dave
24-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Rangers owe something like 70m on very unfavourable terms - 12m of it for Tore Andre Flo :)

TC EAGLE
24-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Got a mate working in Glasgow one of the guys he's working with (Rangers fan) tells him MCleish looks like going to Pompey with Burley favourite to take over at Rangers

Strathclyde Eagle
24-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Interesting, a little research shows.....
A rangers ST is 280
a single match costs 22

Cheaper than at Palace!
For which you get to see the pitiful likes of Dunfermline, Livingston and Dundee United... twice!

As mentioned Rangers were in the region of 70M-80M worth of debt. They are getting rid of a lot of it via a rights issue I believe but they've said the days of big transfer fees are over (largely due to the SPL TV deal being a fraction of the Sky/Premiership deal). The route they tend to go down now is Bosman signings with high wages.

Away Day Eagle
24-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Stats never go away, they are what make the world go round my friend. .

Gonzo Gold :p .

Has Radders seen this ?

Strathclyde Eagle
24-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by squirrel
I wouldn't want to work for a chairman who blatently uses the press to put pressure on his manager. Dowie has a firery personality and wouldn't last a week under David Murray.
Murray hasn't handled the current McLeish situation well but generally he's very supportive of managers. The situation now is an exception rather than the rule.

hughsey
24-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Totally agree SE. You only have to look at the number of mangers Rangers have had in their history to see that they don't sack managers for the sake of it. I don't understand why DM came out and said he would give McLeish until the start of December to improve results. Im sure McLeish would have been fully aware that results had to improve or he would get the sack.

grahampoint
27-11-2005, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
[B]For which you get to see the pitiful likes of Dunfermline, Livingston and Dundee United... twice!

Scottish footy is a lot better than people on here give it credit for. This is the best, in terms of quality and most exciting season in years and Palace fans are deluding themselves if they think that Dowie would turn down the chance to manage the team he supports whether they are in the Champions League or not. Granted, Rangers do not spend money like they once did but if the manager asks for money to spend he invariably gets it so AJ may be playing in the crappy SPL yet.

cpfcinprem
27-11-2005, 10:01 PM
It's gotta be the end for McLeish now, hasn't it?

AJ
27-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Could be a blessing in disguise....did I really say that? :o

limited_edition
27-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by AJ
Could be a blessing in disguise....did I really say that? :o Slapped wrist. Criticism is not allowed in a dictatorship ;)

Maybe the Palace and Rangers bosses could do a job swap ?

Strathclyde Eagle
29-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by grahampoint
Scottish footy is a lot better than people on here give it credit for. This is the best, in terms of quality and most exciting season in years and Palace fans are deluding themselves if they think that Dowie would turn down the chance to manage the team he supports whether they are in the Champions League or not. Granted, Rangers do not spend money like they once did but if the manager asks for money to spend he invariably gets it so AJ may be playing in the crappy SPL yet.
Someone who clearly didn't see the dreadful Motherwell-Aberdeen game that was on the TV recently up here. :hmph:

The only reason it is getting "more exciting" is because the Old Firm are financially constrained at the minute, so they're falling back to the pack somewhat.

Sky Sports News are saying Portsmouth have asked about McLeish. Portsmouth must be mad!

cpfcinprem
29-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Sky Sports News are saying Portsmouth have asked about McLeish. Portsmouth must be mad!

Imho, apart from this season, he has been a major success up there. Winning trophies with a side, that on paper, are weaker than Celtic.

JohnA
29-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Long ago I was told by a Hammer that he was a West Ham fan - doesn't stop him having a soft spot for Rangers if not for the extreme elements of their support - however he would have the same issue at Palace, or Celtic - remember his anti racism comments, I am sure they are equally apliable to Sectarianism?

The issue for Dowie is the Rangers job a poison chalice?
McLeish is surely a good manager landed with problems of the past.
The economics of most football clubs are non-sensical - most do not make economic sense even on a day to day basis & act as a conduit of TV & sponsorship money to players & their agents.

palace_burger
29-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by grahampoint
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle
[B]For which you get to see the pitiful likes of Dunfermline, Livingston and Dundee United... twice!

It annoys me that I pay 25 a month for Sky Sports and they show Scottish football and WWF, neither of which are a sport or entertainment!

Dont get me starting Football Focus, if I were interesting in the SPL I would tune into McFooty Focus

Celestial Empire
30-11-2005, 03:21 PM
This whole notion makes me laugh. If Rangers really are considering ID, then no wonder they are going nowhere - have they bothered to look at the man's record lately ? :rolleyes:
And if ID thinks he is up to the Rangers job, he must rate a quick (career) fix above mastering his craft. His shortcomings this season have been there for all to see. I do hope he keeps his mind on the job, and works at solving our several (footballing) problems.

grahampoint
30-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Palace_Burger, where is Scottish footy shown on skysports apart from 4 cup games a season? More goals per game ratio in Scotland than England, where to be honest the footy has been pants this year.