PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Andrews

maestro
20-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I thought he changed teh game today and deserves some credit, he looked like he had real hunger and desire that was missing, he tackled, he won corners and he just boutgh some urgency to ourt play.

Maybe others wont agree but I really feel as though he's worth a start or definately a half on the right hand side of midfield

eddieskyclad
Damn right :p

Ben H
Comedy football genius.

100% Palace
20-11-2005, 04:15 PM
He had some really odd looking thing on his neck, on the right hand side.

Absolution
20-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 100% Palace
Looked like a scar or something...

Anyways well done Wayne caused them troubles not to mention forcing them to make some fouls on him. Also he knocked Hart over! :o

Watson's My Cat
20-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I panicked seing Dowie put 3 up front, but Andrews' work rate was just what we needed. Well done, Wayne - you might get there some day :p

Rob Fox
20-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Could't agree more. He will never be a prolific goalscorer, but what he does do during the time he is on the pitch will win us matches!!!

maestro
Originally posted by Ben H
Comedy football genius.

You may laugh but he did more in 10 minutes than most did all game

BALDYEAGLE
i dont rate him but he put himself about and got involved looks better out on the right then upfront

Airways86
20-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Definitely gave us some go-forward, and put Brighton on the back foot.

cross_eyed_ed
20-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I thought Wayne mixed it up well today when he came on and deserves a lot of credit. I just wish he could score.

Diggers digs in?
20-11-2005, 04:22 PM
That shot he hit from the corner of the box with 89th minute was dreadful, you could tell he was trying far too hard to prove his worth. If he can learn to cross instead of shooting from ridiculous places he could be a really useful winger. Agree that his pace and work rate was exactly the spice we needed in the last 10 minutes.

Beck The Eagle
20-11-2005, 04:23 PM
nah,I mean,when he had a perfect chance to cross and juts blasted was superb.

stop clutching at straws.

oldeagle
20-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by maestro

You are spot on there, which begs the question why are we so lethargic / one pace in the way we play.
Since NM has arrived we seem obsessed with neat and tidy passing (very good if on it's own wins you games) at the expense of any passion / tempo.

Absolution
20-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Watson's My Cat
I panicked seing Dowie put 3 up front, but Andrews' work rate was just what we needed. Well done, Wayne - you might get there some day :p
He played right wing and also I've seen a couple of his goals for the reserves that were good finishes hopefully he will get the chance to grab a first goal.

elliott
20-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Diggers digs in?
he was trying far too hard to prove his worth

what do you want him to do? just give up and accept he's rubbish:bash:

POLLARDS EAGLE
20-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Ok

smileysmith
20-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Now pay attention ...

He was played on right wing, not up front.

He fecked up when choosing to shoot and not cross.

His best move was falling on Hart.

His pace and work rate WERE good and needed, but imagine them added to some talent! ...

Diggers digs in?
20-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by elliott
what do you want him to do? just give up and accept he's rubbish:bash:

Yes, that's what I want him to do. :hmph:

I mean, if you're shooting from an impossible angle when you're low on confidence as it is, you're trying too hard. Is it such a difficult concpet to grasp?

Super Mabbutt
20-11-2005, 04:44 PM
His pace really put the wind up the Brighton defence.

Well played Wayne.

Velocity
20-11-2005, 04:44 PM
It must be the worst day in Hart's life - he was enjoying his run-out in a tightly contested game between two classic rivals, when Wayne Andrews appeared, paralysed him, got him sent off, subsequently creating the extra few minutes injury time in which we got the winner. What a complete raping.

Ian Hart
20-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by smileysmith

His pace and work rate WERE good and needed, but imagine them added to some talent! ...

I think we all know that he hasn't got much in the way of talent - probably not even the more limited talent that's required in this division. And at 28, he's not going to suddenly aquire it now.

But what he's become is a very useful substitute, who can make a definite impact with his tireless running and definite pace when brought on against tiring opponents. We've seen it a few times now, and it's not purely by chance. Playing wide right is certainly the correct position for him to use that pace, and it means he has more chance of getting away with his lack of control that used to expose him in a more central position.

I actually agree with the comment earler that he needs to stop trying too hard to score. The shot when he should have taken his man on and crossed was caused by this "over-eagernes". If he forgets about being labelled as a striker who hasn't scored, and begins to think of himself as a winger who isn't expected to, I think he'll continue to be a useful asset. I, for one, often look forward to his late introduction into a game, because he certainly has an enthusiasm that can become infectious, and it helps others to keep going.

boxing francis
20-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Credit to WA, pure commitment from him today.

Beatleboy
20-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Problem is he is shooting from impossible positions because he is not getting a chance. people remember strikers for their goals not the assists. 10 minutes here or there wont get him noticed uless he gets on the score sheet.

I feel sorry for the lad. Cosidering the stick he got earlier, I think that he has shown lots of character in persevering.

I remember when he was on the bench not that long ago and we needed goals. Dowie put Hudson on ahead of Wayne near the end. That would have been soul destroying for most people.

rovens
20-11-2005, 05:13 PM
He has a scar because he had a (what can only be described as a big boil) on his neck for years, I have a mate that supports Watford and when he played for them he said Wayne looked like he had two heads (twice as likely to score a header : ). Feel sorry for the guy but its a good thing he had it cut off.

aj4england
20-11-2005, 05:23 PM
super,super wayne!
super, super wayne!
super wayney andrews!

Tripod 10
20-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Well played Wayne.You showed more effort in 10 minutes than most of the others in the whole game.The difference is that Wayne wants to play,most of the others know that thay will be picked week in week out and they could become a tad complacent.

redandblue
20-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I thought he made a difference I thought he was brilliant when he came on against Norwcih for Makem but then he aprently had a dreadful game the week after (cant remember who against). I think he is great sub to have on the bench he will never become a proflific goal scorer but he will allways worry defences and pull defenders away from the prolific goal scorers. I hope ID keeps him rather than selling him toMillscum

howard
20-11-2005, 05:27 PM
He did well, his pace was just what we needed & he was far more interested than Clinton, just a shame he can't hit a barn door!

selhurstparkflyer
20-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I think he makes an excellent impact when he comes on. Not the most skillful footballer, maybe but still a very useful one.

Strathclyde Eagle
20-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Besides the cross/shot I thought he did really well when he came on. Well played Wayne, decent contribution today. :p

Freddy Kurz
20-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Well Done Wayne, Super Sub!

Niceaction
20-11-2005, 05:53 PM
yep, he put himself about today and showed some willing to do the Donkey work. Well played.

Lambeth Palace
20-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Good impact player. His pace and determination certainly unsettled them and I think he will prove his worth over the course of the season.

GSG cpfc
20-11-2005, 05:59 PM
The new PELE

Watson's My Cat
20-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by GSG cpfc
The new PELE

Pushing it, perhaps - more of a Maradona maybe? ;)

tom16
20-11-2005, 06:22 PM

coincidence i just went hospital on thursday to have surgery on rioght side of neck and left with scar...its a sign that i might be as good as wayne andrews

Chester 76
20-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Today & against Liverpool, Wayne`s pace has caused problems. At any level pace is vital, something which we have clearly lacked whilst Johnson has been injured.

dodge_bond
20-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Everyone knows that he is a player that i like . . . But that aside, When he came on he was one of the best players on the pitch. He won 3 freekicks went on a decent run from which ended in a shot and then had a shot (not the best) himself. I thought he was going to get the winner and i think he soon merits a starting place! ! !

dodge_bond
20-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Sorry wrong forum, and there is already a thread on this, Pleasefeel free to delete mod's!

Andy08
20-11-2005, 08:07 PM
yep i agree best player on the pitch today.

Palaceboy222
20-11-2005, 08:12 PM
He did well when he came on and deserves credit,

dodge_bond
20-11-2005, 08:16 PM
I tohught it showed alot of balls to shoot from the position he was in but at elast it shows his confidence is growing. Also his touch has improved amazingly, he controlled the ball to a very high standard compared to only a few months ago. He is improving! ! !

Stonewall
20-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by howard
He did well, his pace was just what we needed & he was far more interested than Clinton, And it was the same Clinton WHO set up two of the three goals!

PengeEagle
20-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Super, Super Wayne! :lux: :lux:

xmasape
20-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Velocity
What a complete raping.

Agreed.

Well done Wayne.

PhilD
20-11-2005, 11:05 PM
I thought he did well when he came on and showed a lot of effort and desire. Before his wild n wide effort he had a shot which I thought for a moment was going in before it hit someone (may have been Clint I think).

The goal is going to come and I hope he goes mental when he gets it.

GreatGonzo
20-11-2005, 11:33 PM
After he came on he:

won a free kick when he could have stayed on his feet IMO, but even a Palace free kick is more of a gaol threat than Wayne.

Won a second free kick by running into the back of 2 players

Shot from an impossible angle when there were several players waiting in the box for the cross.

However credit where it is due, his work ethic as always was great and several players could learn from it. The tackle he put in was a GREAT tackle and prevented Brighton attacking and led to their player getting sent off i think.

He never looks like he will score and at the time he was brought on we needed goals. Unfortunately work ethic and effort are not enough, i think it is a little over the top saying he changed the game. Brighton going down to 10 men and reshuffling was the biggest factor on the end of the game!

ANDYEAGLE
20-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Gonzo, to be fair to Wayne he has hardly had a run in the first team to find out if he can knock goals in. He is scoring some good goals at reserve level. It could be a confidence thing with him trying too hard at the moment. The problem is with the quality of our front players he is not going to get many chances. He certainly adds something to the squad imo.

RDSdaEAGLE
20-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
After he came on he:

He never looks like he will score and at the time he was brought on we needed goals. Unfortunately work ethic and effort are not enough, i think it is a little over the top saying he changed the game. Brighton going down to 10 men and reshuffling was the biggest factor on the end of the game!

Wouldn't you say that Gary Harts handball was as a result of his inability to deal with Andrews' pace though?

GreatGonzo
20-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Gonzo, to be fair to Wayne he has hardly had a run in the first team to find out if he can knock goals in. He is scoring some good goals at reserve level. It could be a confidence thing with him trying too hard at the moment. The problem is with the quality of our front players he is not going to get many chances. He certainly adds something to the squad imo.

You are right that he adds something at the moment. Which is a shame because i would like all footballers to have what he offers ie 100% commitment and effort.

Once AJ comes back there will be no place for him IMO, to me a striker must score goals and whilst i have seen him score in reserves i still never get the feeling he will manage it in the 1st team.

Sussex Eagle
20-11-2005, 11:54 PM
He's able to run around like a maniac and inject something into the game despite his total lack of skill because he only plays these short cameos. He would get very frustrating playing for any long stretches of time.

glaziers fan
21-11-2005, 01:58 AM
After he came on he:

However credit where it is due, his work ethic as always was great and several players could learn from it. The tackle he put in was a GREAT tackle

Exactly. He works so hard and has great pace. Reminds me of AJ!

Superb tackle that stopped a very dangerous counter-attack - well done for picking up on this Gonzo.

Personally I think his passion changed the game as much as anything else. I think he is an impact player for if we are winning rather than losing but I certainly don't want him to go anywhere. If only he was 18, he would be a real prospect.

Freddy Kurz
21-11-2005, 09:00 AM
You are right that he adds something at the moment. Which is a shame because i would like all footballers to have what he offers ie 100% commitment and effort.

Once AJ comes back there will be no place for him IMO, to me a striker must score goals and whilst i have seen him score in reserves i still never get the feeling he will manage it in the 1st team.

Ever since the debate over Andrews began, I have always argued that
he would prove a useful fringe squad player during a long Championship
season, against those who totally wrote him off as a joke and never saw that he was capable of improving his game. (most players ARE
capable of improvement if they really want to improve and are given
good coaching and encouragement - Andrews is just such a player).
I still haven't altered my original view, and think if he wants to stay
at the club, there will still be a role for him in the squad. Once
AJ returns as one of our regular strike force, with Morrison and
Freedman, there will obviously be less sub appearances for
Andrews, which could persuade him to look elsewhere for
regular first-team football.
I would, however, query whether Andrews is normally played as
an orthodox striker in his cameo-sub appearances. He is usually
deployed wide in a free role, so why do you think he "must score
goals"? There are scores of players in all grades of football
who do this kind of job (especially as a sub) who aren't judged
by the goals they may or may not score.

Away Day Eagle
21-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by maestro

I agree

Away Day Eagle
21-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Wouldn't you say that Gary Harts handball was as a result of his inability to deal with Andrews' pace though?

RDS you are right but I doubt if GG will respond.

GDP
21-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Ben H
Comedy football genius.

:D Couldnt have put it any better!! I cant wait to he gets a goal - Plenty of WA t-shirts methinks.

Heb 7:4
21-11-2005, 09:18 AM

Since he's being used on the right-wing I don't think AJ coming back will affect his use as a super-sub at all

Sandowneagle
21-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

More like Leon McKenzie

Ian of Chatham
21-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

Superb tackle that stopped a very dangerous counter-attack - well done for picking up on this Gonzo.

Personally I think his passion changed the game as much as anything else. I think he is an impact player for if we are winning rather than losing but I certainly don't want him to go anywhere. If only he was 18, he would be a real prospect.
Exactly. I won't write him off yet, he'll come off the bench and get a goal for us one day, I can see it. I'm just wondering how he will celebrate.

sydnsteve
21-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I have apologised to the lad on another thread, and I'll do so again. He did very well, and if that shot, which wasn't far off, had gone in everyone would have been praising him. It was a good shot slightly mis-directed.
As for no skill, he was given 3 passes at speed on the right wing that he did brilliantly to control and move off with. There was not one touch in that game anyone could criticise. I thought at 28 he would not improve, but he has, and I'd loke to see him stay on the bench, and get a Carling cup run out.

magician
21-11-2005, 01:58 PM
thats where they removed his talent !

he did well down the right, will never be a great player but just with his attitude and pace will cause players in this division trouble late on in games

SamTheOldGoat
21-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Did REALLY well today, although the selfishness when he sliced that half volley in the last 2 minutes was a bit soul destroying before the Jobi popped one in!

Shipp Ahoy!
21-11-2005, 02:02 PM
When Wayne come on the rest of the player seemed to increase the pace a bit his enthusiasm and work rate rubbed off on them.

Cleon
21-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Nothing will convince me that Andrews is worthy of a start in a squad that includes AJ, Morrison, Freedman and Macken. HOWEVER, he certainly made an impact as a late substitute on Sunday, and added raw pace to our attack - something it lacks within AJ.

A good substitute - if he can continue to make that kind of impact then he is certainly worthy of a place on the bench.

Kirby
21-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Andrews was awesome yesterday! :lux:

dodge_bond
21-11-2005, 05:07 PM
he was ouur best player during the time he played.