PDA

View Full Version : AJ Dilemma

Malakite
22-11-2005, 11:10 PM
I got to thinking and im sure this has already been discussed, but I would be interested to see the results in a poll...

AJ is likely to walk into the team when he is fit, but at the expense of who?

cpfc_spc1982
22-11-2005, 11:12 PM
dougie.

limited_edition
22-11-2005, 11:13 PM
No rush. Ease him in gently from the bench. Only get him back when he's completely fit. We don't want to run the risk of him breaking down again.

Malakite
22-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Limited - yup I agree but when he is 100% match fit, would you drop one of the current 2 then?

Mong!
22-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Chuck him out on the right wing!!! (hmm, forgot about andrews...)

imashed
22-11-2005, 11:24 PM
let him warm the bench, has he got a clause in that new 25k a week contract ,come jan if were not in top 6 or 2 he can go? i think he's missed the boat for germany

Steve H
22-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Based on the last few games, it would have to be Clinton. But no one player should be guaranteed a start, and if Clint and Dougie are firing on all cylinders, AJ will have to wait on the bench IMO.

Clapham Grand
22-11-2005, 11:28 PM
AJ is international class and if 100% fit, then he must play

spotkick
22-11-2005, 11:31 PM
If he's fit he starts - It's that simple.

celery stick
22-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
No rush. Ease him in gently from the bench. Only get him back when he's completely fit. We don't want to run the risk of him breaking down again.

Absolutely spot on.

Malakite
22-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Hard to believe though that despite Freedman's fantastic form of late, it seems people on here would rather him warm the bench than Morrison..tough tough decision though isn't it? ;) GREAT to have such fantastic healthy competition!

palacedeano
22-11-2005, 11:45 PM
He's going to spurs in January anyway. Deal done according to a big mouth spurs director. Funny how Johnson has been "a week away" from full fitness for over 6 weeks.

Paul Romain
22-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Even if AJ is 100% "fit" he won't be 100% match sharp. Put him straight back in the side at the expense of one of two in form strikers - well, on fire strikers more like - and, good as AJ is, we weaken the team. What's the rush when we are scoring goals for fun at the moment? A couple of reserve games in midweeks, 20-30 mins from the bench on a Saturday for 3 or 4 games once fit and take it from there.

maestro
22-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Youd have to say Morrison at the moment

David Amsalem
22-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Youd have to say Morrison at the moment

No you don't.

What has Morrison done to deserve being dropped? :rolleyes:

maestro
22-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
No you don't.

Well Dowie has said that when AJ is fit he plays, so either Morrison or Freedman will have to make way, both have done fantastic this season but on recent form Dougie just has the edge

<_tece_>
23-11-2005, 12:04 AM
12 votes for leaving the proven best english goalscorer out of the starting 11.... hmmmm..

3rd_Lion
23-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Seeing the form that Freedman is in and the creativity he brings as well as his goals at the moment id drop morrison and play Johnson with Freedman.

Morrison needs 6 chances to score...its getting a bit frustrating!:bash:

ANDYEAGLE
23-11-2005, 12:28 AM
We have 5 strikers in reality for 2 positions. AJ, Dougie, Clinton, Macken and Wayne Andrews. I think everyone agrees if fit AJ must start. On current form I would have to pick Dougie although he has not played that well with AJ in the past. I would not rule out any of the combinations as all these guys are capable including Macken and Wayne.
Clinton should not be an automatic pick imo.

spunky
23-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
including Macken and Wayne.

:rolleyes: :bash: :rolleyes: :bash:

thats all i have to say on the matter

David Amsalem
23-11-2005, 01:27 AM
Well Dowie has said that when AJ is fit he plays, so either Morrison or Freedman will have to make way, both have done fantastic this season but on recent form Dougie just has the edge

Fair enough reply. Sorry for the use of ":rolleyes:" I just thought you were saying that Clinton has been playing badly rather then one has been playing better then the other.

Palaceman95
23-11-2005, 07:41 AM
ease him in, but its gotta be at freedman's expense.

sydnsteve
23-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
We have 5 strikers in reality for 2 positions. AJ, Dougie, Clinton, Macken and Wayne Andrews. I think everyone agrees if fit AJ must start. On current form I would have to pick Dougie although he has not played that well with AJ in the past. I would not rule out any of the combinations as all these guys are capable including Macken and Wayne.
Clinton should not be an automatic pick imo.

I might well be a minority of 1, but I don't think he should start if fit. Scoring goals is not our problem, letting them in is. We have now scored 9 in 4 games, does anyone seriously think that we'd have got more with AJ there?
If we look like we need a goal scorer, then change things, not when we don't. I have no doubt that he will start, just as I have no doubt that Soares and watson will continue to 'grace' our midfield. Doesn't make any of it correct though.

sydnsteve
23-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by 3rd_Lion
Seeing the form that Freedman is in and the creativity he brings as well as his goals at the moment id drop morrison and play Johnson with Freedman.

Morrison needs 6 chances to score...its getting a bit frustrating!:bash:

Now I wonder if you ever liked Clint?

Malakite
23-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
I might well be a minority of 1, but I don't think he should start if fit. Scoring goals is not our problem, letting them in is. We have now scored 9 in 4 games, does anyone seriously think that we'd have got more with AJ there?
If we look like we need a goal scorer, then change things, not when we don't. I have no doubt that he will start, just as I have no doubt that Soares and watson will continue to 'grace' our midfield. Doesn't make any of it correct though. yup good post, agree 100% with that!..

The thing is, AJ signed a new 5yr deal, even though he angered myself and many other Palace fans with the whole "If we go down i'll be the player to score goals to take us back up" attitutde to then only go and hand his transfer request in :rolleyes: so my point is, if we have top strikers for the 1st Div which we all know we have, and we have POSSIBLY a now 'uncommitted' player who just wants to play Premiership footy, should we not be seriously thinking of cashing in? OBVIOUSLY I would rather he stay even tho I am still annoyed with the guy, but its an interesting point I think!

davematt
23-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
AJ is international class and if 100% fit, then he must play

Agree 100%.

917L
23-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Palaceman95
ease him in, but its gotta be at freedman's expense.

What is that decision based on?

It cant be current form as Dougies is way better than Clintons

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Malakite
yup good post, agree 100% with that!..

The thing is, AJ signed a new 5yr deal, even though he angered myself and many other Palace fans with the whole "If we go down i'll be the player to score goals to take us back up" attitutde to then only go and hand his transfer request in :rolleyes: so my point is, if we have top strikers for the 1st Div which we all know we have, and we have POSSIBLY a now 'uncommitted' player who just wants to play Premiership footy, should we not be seriously thinking of cashing in? OBVIOUSLY I would rather he stay even tho I am still annoyed with the guy, but its an interesting point I think!

What are you on?

The guy did something unique and signed a five year contract after handing in a transfer request! Despite knowing people like you would never see him in the same light!
Deserves more respect!
And no i am not his boyfriend!

palace_crystal
23-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by palacedeano
He's going to spurs in January anyway. Deal done according to a big mouth spurs director. Funny how Johnson has been "a week away" from full fitness for over 6 weeks.

Can anyone else smell that, its like cow, no bull, definetly BULLSHEEEEEEET

davematt
23-11-2005, 10:04 AM
If we look like we need a goal scorer, then change things, not when we don't. I have no doubt that he will start, just as I have no doubt that Soares and watson will continue to 'grace' our midfield. Doesn't make any of it correct though.

Sorry mate, but your wrong. Clinton and Dougie are two very good strikers, but AJ is in a different class to them. He is the best striker in the league by a country mile and saying that you dont think we will need him is laughable. If he had been fit all season and playing at his best, we would be top two or very close. He gives us so much. He defends from the front with his quick closing down, he scares the living crap out of defenders when running at them with the ball at his feet, he is clinical in front of goal, and is also a huge threat on the counter attack. For me, once fit, he plays, simple as that. He is our talisman, and will be the difference between getting promotion and not. If we end up in the play offs, AJ may be the man to win us them. Such a phenomenal player for us, and as Clapham Ground said, International Class.

Beanie
23-11-2005, 01:06 PM
I would love to see room found for all 3, because I think that Dougie in a slightly withdrawn role could create a huge number of chances for Clint and AJ up front. Dougie may not be quite as quick as he was, but he seems to have the best footballing brain at the club. Problem is how could we do this? We don't have the players to go to 3 at the back with wing backs, although Hall, Ward and Boyce would make a good 3 we'd be exposed to any half decent wingers, especially on the left (Butterfield might work on the right). So, with 4 at the back we'd only be able to put three in mid field and can't see that working, we'd either lose width or have a soft centre. The only possible midfield I could see working would be Reich or McAnuff right. Aki centre and Hughes left, problem is can't see Aki being fit enough nor can I see ID dropping both Soares and Watson. Only other possibility would be to play Dougie in a roaming role, but mainly wide (probably) right.

All in all I guess it's two up front, and it would have to be AJ and Clint with Dougie available as a super-sub.

charltonhater
23-11-2005, 01:22 PM

You may be in the minority, but you should be as you are spot on. We've scored 20 goals and gained 19 points in the last nine games. In this time, Johnson has made just the one brief substitute appearance. Freedman and Morrison have a fantastic partnership and have been our best two players in that period. As soon as you throw Johnson into the mix, I can't help thinking the goals will probably start to dry up for those two. Why change a winning formula?

I can not see a Johnson and Morrison partnership working. It would be even worse than playing all three, as they are too similar to each other, and it will produce the same sorts of problems we have by playing both Watson and Soares in central midfield. As Johnson will have to start, because he is on loads of money it will have to be alongside Freedman, but that partnership won't be as effective as the Morrison and Freedman on.

Shipp Ahoy!
23-11-2005, 01:28 PM
It is a nice dilemna, ease him very slowly back to first team fitness, I for one would not be too sorry to not see that happen until February (while Doug, Clint, Macken and Andrews do well - wishful but hope, and the window is shut for us to go up and him to stay!)

But certainly when he is fit, it should be 3 up front.

JFBeagle
23-11-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't actually understand the science of football.:clown: I just like watching it. I voted for three strikers but that's only because I it will be Dougie ends up on the bench and I like watching him play.:lux: :lux:

KennyB
23-11-2005, 01:46 PM
His first game should be as a sub, coming on for the last 30, preferably at home. Think of the crowd reaction !

Even AJ couldn't complain at that strategy.

Yes he is one of our best strikers ever, and so, after the first game, and if everyone was fit, I would like to see:-

AJ and Clint up front

Doog just behind

Hughes, Aki, Reich,

Granville, Ward, Hall, Boyce

Gabor

Subs:

Mcanuff
Macken
Andrews
Leggy
Watson
(Why must we always have a goalie as sub, some clubs don't ?)

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:05 PM
The greedy little git don't want to play for Palace anyway, let him rot in the reserves. Give the Doug, Clint & Wayne a try, least they want to play for this club.

"I WONT WALK OUT IF PALACE GO DOWN, IL GET THE GOALS TO FIRE US BACK UP"

1 month later he's handed in a Transfer request, let the greedy git rot in the stiffs.

AndyStreet
23-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MATTY THE EAGLE
The greedy little git don't want to play for Palace anyway, let him rot in the reserves. Give the Doug, Clint & Wayne a try, least they want to play for this club.

1 month later he's handed in a Transfer request, let the greedy git rot in the stiffs.

Yes, why play a striker who's scored 60 odd goals in three seasons for Palace when we could give Wayne Andrews a try? In fact given that we've invested so much money in keeping him at the club let's waste our money by playing him in non-competitive matches and waste his talent at the same time. Brilliant plan.

Great Lombardi
23-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Drunk this early?? You students really don't have much to get up to. In my day it used to be Neighbours followed by Home and Away and then Ironside....and then coursework not Carlsberg Special Brew.

Times change.

Stellavista
23-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by KennyB
His first game should be as a sub, coming on for the last 30, preferably at home. Think of the crowd reaction !

Even AJ couldn't complain at that strategy.

Yes he is one of our best strikers ever, and so, after the first game, and if everyone was fit, I would like to see:-

AJ and Clint up front

Doog just behind

Hughes, Aki, Reich,

Granville, Ward, Hall, Boyce

Gabor

Subs:

Mcanuff
Macken
Andrews
Leggy
Watson

Fantastic. A midfield based on the design of a sieve........

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Yes, why play a striker who's scored 60 odd goals in three seasons for Palace when we could give Wayne Andrews a try? In fact given that we've invested so much money in keeping him at the club let's waste our money by playing him in non-competitive matches and waste his talent at the same time. Brilliant plan.

Yes, But he does not want to play for CPFC, So why keep him here?, flog him or let him rot.

Dougie and Clint are banging them in anyway.

Boyandy
23-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Another comedy response from one of the BBS's own Chuckle Brothers.

PalaceMonkey
23-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by KennyB

bit of a gamble, you'd feel a right prune if the keeper got injured.

Like Gabor did a couple of weeks ago...

eagles #1
23-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Play all 3. What does Watson do on the defensive side of things in the midfield? Not much. So give Dougie his place. Dougie will be 10 times more effective going forward leaving Soares (or Leigertwood) to do all the defensive duties of the midfield. It may possibly leave the defence a bit too open but with an attacking force of McAnuff, Reich, Freedman, Morrison and AJ we should score more than the opposition anyway. Lets go gung-ho i say! :D

andyocpfc
23-11-2005, 02:28 PM
How about all up front in a 4-3-3 formation

Like,

AJ Doug Clint

or is that wasting AJ's ability through the middle?

gjtango
23-11-2005, 02:29 PM

MATTYTHEEAGLE in 'I'm a ' shocker. Or not :hmph:

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by gjtango
MATTYTHEEAGLE in 'I'm a ' shocker. Or not :hmph:

The fact you can't affor Burgers is because you have to pay for AJ's Wage Increase

FACT

Priced out of Burgers because of AJ

RDSdaEAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Whenever there's a controversial view to be had, you can always rely on Matty and his brother to have such a view.

Idiot.

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Whenever there's a controversial view to be had, you can always rely on Matty and his brother to have such a view.

Idiot.

Ah Bless, run out of Club Shirts in the club shop have they?

How am I an Idiot?

Because I dont think the sun shines out his arse, like a load of sheep you all are on here.

Let me make this easy for you, when a player puts in a transfer request it means he does not want to play for the club anymore.

AJ Does not want to play for CPFC

DEAL WITH IT

RDSdaEAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes, But he does not want to play for CPFC, So why keep him here?, flog him or let him rot.

Dougie and Clint are banging them in anyway.

So I trust you didn't cheer when AJ scored earlier this season then? After all, he's a little greedy git.

I also guess you won't cheer should he score goals during the remainder of the season? After all, you don't think its right that he's still with us?

kolinkins
23-11-2005, 02:37 PM

Idiot.

you forgot the 's'

As for the thread - got to be AJ and Clinton. At least they looked like forming a partnership. AJ and Freedman is much like Freedman and Ships - it just doesnt work.

kolinkins
23-11-2005, 02:39 PM

Because I dont think the sun shines out his arse, like a load of sheep you all are on here.

Let me make this easy for you, when a player puts in a transfer request it means he does not want to play for the club anymore.

DEAL WITH IT

so what happens if a player withdraws a transfer request?

you think Stevie G doesnt want to play for Liverpool?

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:40 PM
So I trust you didn't cheer when AJ scored earlier this season then? After all, he's a little greedy git.

I also guess you won't cheer should he score goals during the remainder of the season? After all, you don't think its right that he's still with us?

Of course I'll cheer, I support the club not the players, if he scores for palace all well and good, and Im not going to stop cheering if he scores because he's doing it for the benefit of the club and the supporters but not that does not give him the right to act like a twat and demand he does not want to play for CPFC again.

Rather he was not playing at all.

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
so what happens if a player withdraws a transfer request?

you think Stevie G doesnt want to play for Liverpool?

I dont give a monkeys what Gerrard wants to play for Liverpool or not, does not affect me, all I know is AJ demanded a transfer away for the club after stating he would not leave. He does not want to be here, so why let him stay here?

eagles #1
23-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I dont give a monkeys what Gerrard wants to play for Liverpool or not, does not affect me, all I know is AJ demanded a transfer away for the club after stating he would not leave. He does not want to be here, so why let him stay here? Because he's our best player?

kolinkins
23-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I dont give a monkeys what Gerrard wants to play for Liverpool or not, does not affect me, all I know is AJ demanded a transfer away for the club after stating he would not leave. He does not want to be here, so why let him stay here?

As a side thought - do you or your brother have any opinions that are independent of each other?

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:44 PM
As a side thought - do you or your brother have any opinions that are independent of each other?

Nah, we are complete clones of each other.

kolinkins
23-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Nah, we are complete clones of each other.

I thought so.

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Of course I'll cheer, I support the club not the players, if he scores for palace all well and good, and Im not going to stop cheering if he scores because he's doing it for the benefit of the club and the supporters but not that does not give him the right to act like a twat and demand he does not want to play for CPFC again.

Rather he was not playing at all.

Christ, i think he would rather you support Brighton!
So you have never done something you regreted?
How has he acted like a twat? He did the most honourable thing i have seen in a long time in modern football!

lauren_of_hove
23-11-2005, 02:49 PM
I can't blame AJ for not wanting to stay if we don't get promoted - would you give up your dream of playing for England to play the likes of Crewe every week? He's quoted as saying he wants to get out there and help us win promotion again, thus showing hunger, drive and passion. He's the best player at the club, and a crucial figure in what is a big season for us.

I simply don't understand how Matty can wish he wasn't part of the first team.

kolinkins
23-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by lauren_of_hove

Attention seeking, thats why him and his brother do it.

RDSdaEAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't call c_block_lad an idiot because he actually shows inteligence when he posts.

How am I an Idiot?

DEAL WITH IT

There you go again....because you realise that someone might have a point, you start taunting them because they wear club merchandise. Bothered.

You're an idiot because its all so black and white. You don't seem to understand that people can change their minds.

Now, AJ was offered a better deal, but it was an incentive with the aim of getting him to agree to stay. Want to blame anyone? Blame Dowie and Jordan.

AJ admitted in an interview for FourFourTwo that he had had his head turned by people saying he could be playing for big clubs.

If I was a Palace player who didn't have any emotional ties to the club, and had scored 20 goals last season, no matter what I said before the season finished, I'd still find myself being influenced by people about being able to go to a better club.

Its about personal achievement and wanting to better yourself. The fact is that the club offered him a better deal and promised him that they would do what they could to get back to the top level. He's bettered his financial situation and with the right approach will find himself back where he feels he belongs.

You don't seem to understand that, which is a shame, because you'll just end up being the bitter and twisted fool that you portray yourself as being now.

eagles #1
23-11-2005, 02:51 PM

I simply don't understand how Matty can wish he wasn't part of the first team. Because he's not very clever. Or the reason Kolinkins stated above..

PalaceMonkey
23-11-2005, 02:53 PM

And he's a shoe-in for a BBS award too!

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Pure and simple, he handed in a transfer request, thus he did not want to play for CPFC.

People seem to think he has a devine right to walk straight back into the 1st team, Dougie & Clint are doing the business upfront.

Look at this from this point, your at work and you've been for the company for a long time and achicved a lot (AKA Dougie 100 goals etc), and another employee at the company who recently returned (Clint) have been working on the porject together, and your doing really well at it, meanwhile the wonder kid who wanted to leave the company earlier (AJ) and just returned from Holiday with a bumper pay rise, and now he wants to split the Project you two have been working really hard on.

How would you feel if you were AJ or Clint?

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 02:54 PM

For once i agree with you:eek: :eek: :eek:

David Amsalem
23-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Maybe if people stop replying to Matty's posts, he won't get the attention he is so desperately craving? So, so sad.

Anyway, my view... ease AJ in at first but when he is fully fit. Look what happened when we bought him on against Coventry. He has to start when 100% though. His the best player in the division by far.

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Attention Seeking because I dont follow everyone like sheep? AJ's the best thing since sliced bread etc etc

gjtango
23-11-2005, 02:56 PM
The fact you can't affor Burgers is because you have to pay for AJ's Wage Increase

FACT

Priced out of Burgers because of AJ

Fact is I ordered the burgers and Asda never brought them, or substiuted them as stated, yet still delivered my buns! What kind of mugs deliver burger buns (proper ones) but no burgers? And its not like I had any burgers in the freezer as if I did I doubt I'd be ordering more!

Customer service at Asda = Pathetic, clearly not thinking for their customers needs or wants.

I'm off to Burger King.

P.S. AJ is a legend, I love him and I hate your guts because your opinions are always appalling. Now run along and study some cash cows or whatever else they teach you in that so called university. After all, if you want to get into business, you need to learn how to deal with the customer. The customer in this case is me. I want goals and optimists at my club, and I want burgers. Who gives- AJ and Burger King. Who doesn't? Asda and MATTYTHEEAGLE.

Clear off.

BLAP BLAP

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Fact is I ordered the burgers and Asda never brought them, or substiuted them as stated, yet still delivered my buns! What kind of mugs deliver burger buns (proper ones) but no burgers? And its not like I had any burgers in the freezer as if I did I doubt I'd be ordering more!

Customer service at Asda = Pathetic, clearly not thinking for their customers needs or wants.

I'm off to Burger King.

P.S. AJ is a legend, I love him and I hate your guts because your opinions are always appalling. Now run along and study some cash cows or whatever else they teach you in that so called university. After all, if you want to get into business, you need to learn how to deal with the customer. The customer in this case is me. I want goals and optimists at my club, and I want burgers. Who gives- AJ and Burger King. Who doesn't? Asda and MATTYTHEEAGLE.

Clear off.

BLAP BLAP

:D

Norwich away you was booing AJ

FACT

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Pure and simple, he handed in a transfer request, thus he did not want to play for CPFC.

People seem to think he has a devine right to walk straight back into the 1st team, Dougie & Clint are doing the business upfront.

Look at this from this point, your at work and you've been for the company for a long time and achicved a lot (AKA Dougie 100 goals etc), and another employee at the company who recently returned (Clint) have been working on the porject together, and your doing really well at it, meanwhile the wonder kid who wanted to leave the company earlier (AJ) and just returned from Holiday with a bumper pay rise, and now he wants to split the Project you two have been working really hard on.

Most workforces believe in working as a team. So would welcome the knowledge the 'wonder kid' had.
And the project would benefit!

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by redandbluebarmy
Most workforces believe in working as a team. So would welcome the knowledge the 'wonder kid' had.
And the project would benefit!

Not if the project was for only 2 people, remember we play 4-4-2.

davematt
23-11-2005, 03:00 PM
FFS fella's, lets stop arguing amongst eachother. The only thing I do know is that when AJ gets fit, Iain Dowie has the greatest dilemma in his mangerial career. He will have three of the best strikers to ever wear a Palace shirt fully fit.

Matty, I can't understand your opinion about AJ. He also maintened that although he felt leaving Palace would better his career, it doesn't mean he doesn't want to play for us again.

Its the same with any working person. You are happy with your current job but you know there is a possibility of a better position elsewhere, but that doesn't mean your unhappy and not willing to still work for your current company. I know football is different, but the similarities are the same.

For the rest of us, we know that Matty & C_block like being controversial, and if you dont like their comments, but them on your ignore list. Whatever you say about them, they always stick to their guns, even if we dont agree with their views.

kolinkins
23-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
And he's a shoe-in for a BBS award too!

Matty the Eagle is best Palace Monkey?

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Not if the project was for only 2 people, remember we play 4-4-2.

Small minded reply.
What did i expect!

m_reid
23-11-2005, 03:01 PM
im sorry to say but it will deffo be freedman even though he has been playing better than morrison dowie will keep morisson upfront

gjtango
23-11-2005, 03:03 PM

Norwich away you was booing AJ

FACT

Oh don't talk RUBBISH.

MATTY THE EAGLE
Small minded reply.
What did i expect!

So because I have a decent point its Small Minded?

People are willing to abuse me on here, fair enough we all have diffrent views but at least ryply with a decent answer etc.

Always the same on BBS people ignore the real issue.

kolinkins
Attention Seeking because I dont follow everyone like sheep? AJ's the best thing since sliced bread etc etc

Attention seeking becuase you and c_block speak out of eac other's arse.

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh don't talk RUBBISH.

1 pint of Shandy and you were abusing your hero AJ, makes me sick.

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 03:05 PM

People are willing to abuse me on here, fair enough we all have diffrent views but at least ryply with a decent answer etc.

Sorry i missed the DECENT point!
Please remind me?

PalaceMonkey

which is what?

That AJ was persuaded by his agent, amongst others, to hand in a request.

Upon handing in the request, he was eventually persuaded by SJ & ID to stay.

Why does this mean he CURRENTLY doesn't want to play for Palace?

redandbluebarmy
1 pint of Shandy makes me sick.

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by PalaceMonkey
which is what?

That AJ was persuaded by his agent, amongst others, to hand in a request.

Upon handing in the request, he was eventually persuaded by SJ & ID to stay.

Why does this mean he CURRENTLY doesn't want to play for Palace?

Because he played on the love off the supporters to gain a bumper pay rise.

"It's going to be hard for me to walk out, I love the fans and the club, but it's time to move on etc"

24K A week later, he's changed his mind, funny that

gjtango
23-11-2005, 03:08 PM
1 pint of Shandy and you were abusing your hero AJ, makes me sick.

:rolleyes:

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 03:09 PM

"It's going to be hard for me to walk out, I love the fans and the club, but it's time to move on etc"

And you wouldn't stay in a job, if they offered you twice the wages to stay?

RDSdaEAGLE

:D Superb! Thats absolutely hilarious :D

davematt
Everyone on here is forgetting about Jonny Macken.....;)

lauren_of_hove
23-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Matty, no one has said he's going to walk straight back into the team. It looks as though he'll start off with a place on the bench. Who can argue with that?

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 03:11 PM
:D Superb! Thats absolutely hilarious :D

COOL, WICKED, SUPER

RED & BLUE ARMY
RED & BLUE ARMY

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by davematt
Everyone on here is forgetting about Jonny Macken.....;)

There forgetting about him for a reason.:D

RDSdaEAGLE
23-11-2005, 03:13 PM
COOL, WICKED, SUPER

RED & BLUE ARMY
RED & BLUE ARMY

...but seriously, did you mean it to be funny? :D

You don't actually think that Dowie and the Chairman thought about "the love of the fans" before offering him a deal?

He wanted to go because he wanted to further his career. Palace offered him a compromise, which he accepted. You can do that, you know?

Which part of that don't you understand?

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 03:13 PM
COOL, WICKED, SUPER

RED & BLUE ARMY
RED & BLUE ARMY

I take it your talking about Johnson?

MATTY THE EAGLE
23-11-2005, 03:15 PM

He wanted to go because he wanted to further his career. Palace offered him a compromise, which he accepted. You can do that, you know?

No, you know what your all right.

AJ's the best thing since sliced bread, and I love him to bits.

If your reading this Im sorry AJ

davematt
23-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Matty, no one has said he's going to walk straight back into the team. It looks as though he'll start off with a place on the bench. Who can argue with that?

I think thats the way Team Dowie will play it, especially with the amount of games coming up. No need to rush him straight into the action. A few weeks of sub appearances, and unleash him with the Christmas lights!!!

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 03:16 PM

You don't actually think that Dowie and the Chairman thought about "the love of the fans" before offering him a deal?

probably the compromise bit!

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 03:17 PM
No, you know what your all right.

AJ's the best thing since sliced bread, and I love him to bits.

If your reading this Im sorry AJ

BBS FIRST:lux: :lux: :lux: :lux: :lux:

Away Day Eagle
23-11-2005, 03:17 PM

Clown Prince Gold :p .

You'd hate being ignored wouldn't you.

Let me guess do you feel you didn't get enough attention as a child.

Bless.

:hi: :hi: :hi:

Away Day Eagle
23-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Rob

He probably does.

Clown Prince redefines deluded.

:rolleyes:

Beanie
23-11-2005, 03:23 PM

How am I an Idiot?

DEAL WITH IT

AJ does want to play for Palace - so why did he make it harder for himself to leave by signing a longer and more valuable deal, thus increasing the fee Palace could demand? In a World Cup season it is hard for a member of the England squad to willing do anything which will endanger that place - even at AJ's age it could be the only chance he'd ever get. So, he has his agent going on about how much he'll get him if he stays in the Premiership, he has Sven talking up the trip to Germany and he has the rest of the England squad touring the US telling him he's crazy to put Palace ahead of a chnace at a World Cup place. No wonder it got to him. It is ridiculously simplistic to say that putting in a transfer request means a player does not want to play for a club - it is far more complex than that. His first concern has to be his family and his future. At the end of last season he was on the crest of a wave, was in demand as he might never be again, deciding to walk away from what could possibly be his only chance at a big money deal to stay at Palace would have been a hugely difficult choice to make. In offering him the big deal Simon Jordan is in effect saying that whilst he can do nothing about whether or not he goes to Germany, he can do something about the financial side. It's not uncommon, most companies who want to keep a key employee will try to match offers from elsewhere. As for his rise pricing anybody out of anything - it amounts to about 1.50 per supporter per match. If that's too much for you, okay,but to me AJ is worth a pint at each game.

redandbluebarmy
23-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
AJ does want to play for Palace - so why did he make it harder for himself to leave by signing a longer and more valuable deal, thus increasing the fee Palace could demand? In a World Cup season it is hard for a member of the England squad to willing do anything which will endanger that place - even at AJ's age it could be the only chance he'd ever get. So, he has his agent going on about how much he'll get him if he stays in the Premiership, he has Sven talking up the trip to Germany and he has the rest of the England squad touring the US telling him he's crazy to put Palace ahead of a chnace at a World Cup place. No wonder it got to him. It is ridiculously simplistic to say that putting in a transfer request means a player does not want to play for a club - it is far more complex than that. His first concern has to be his family and his future. At the end of last season he was on the crest of a wave, was in demand as he might never be again, deciding to walk away from what could possibly be his only chance at a big money deal to stay at Palace would have been a hugely difficult choice to make. In offering him the big deal Simon Jordan is in effect saying that whilst he can do nothing about whether or not he goes to Germany, he can do something about the financial side. It's not uncommon, most companies who want to keep a key employee will try to match offers from elsewhere. As for his rise pricing anybody out of anything - it amounts to about 1.50 per supporter per match. If that's too much for you, okay,but to me AJ is worth a pint at each game.

Well said!

Diggers digs in?
23-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Feel obliged to point out that sheep follow their shepherds in general, and not anyone else.

Palaceboy222
23-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Play the three at home against the lesser teams, AJ + either of the other THREE (Dougie, Clinton and Macken) in other games

KennyB
23-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista
Fantastic. A midfield based on the design of a sieve........

Aki and Hughsie a sieve ?

My, you do have a short memory.

Dedders
23-11-2005, 03:50 PM
people slagging off AJ can piss off.

when is he back? saturday?

PalaceForever
23-11-2005, 04:45 PM
AJ and Clint are our two best strikers and I think they would work best as a partnership.

The Dougie and AJ partnership didn't work too well in the Prem, but I think the AJ and Clint one could really flourish.

Dougie can come on as a sub late in the game and open it up.

Away Day Eagle
23-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Dedders

when is he back? saturday?

Is right they can.

Chester 76
23-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 3rd_Lion

Morrison needs 6 chances to score...its getting a bit frustrating!:bash: It is often thought that Freedman is the more creative player but in the recent run Morrison has had more assists.

Chester 76
23-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Sorry mate, but your wrong. Clinton and Dougie are two very good strikers, but AJ is in a different class to them. He is the best striker in the league by a country mile and saying that you dont think we will need him is laughable. If he had been fit all season and playing at his best, we would be top two or very close. He gives us so much. He defends from the front with his quick closing down, he scares the living crap out of defenders when running at them with the ball at his feet, he is clinical in front of goal, and is also a huge threat on the counter attack. For me, once fit, he plays, simple as that. He is our talisman, and will be the difference between getting promotion and not. If we end up in the play offs, AJ may be the man to win us them. Such a phenomenal player for us, and as Clapham Ground said, International Class. As you & Clapham Grand have said once match fit AJ must play. The best team must be picked not the most popular, therefore AJ & Morrison to start.

Malakite
23-11-2005, 10:07 PM
What are you on?

The guy did something unique and signed a five year contract after handing in a transfer request! Despite knowing people like you would never see him in the same light!
Deserves more respect!
And no i am not his boyfriend!

I am on nothing buddy, its my opinion and I am entitled to it. At the end of the day it doesnt matter that he has re-signed, he didn't wanna stay after saying he would so therefore I am annoyed about it. Doesnt mean to say I wont support the guy when playing geez, no-one is bigger than the club.

Malakite
23-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by charltonhater
You may be in the minority, but you should be as you are spot on. We've scored 20 goals and gained 19 points in the last nine games. In this time, Johnson has made just the one brief substitute appearance. Freedman and Morrison have a fantastic partnership and have been our best two players in that period. As soon as you throw Johnson into the mix, I can't help thinking the goals will probably start to dry up for those two. Why change a winning formula?

Yup you are dead right! Agree 100%!

Malakite
23-11-2005, 10:17 PM

:lux:

barsteward
24-11-2005, 01:00 AM
just how true are the rumours ? is he going to spurs as alleged , ? or is he still a palace player :(

Buglebob
24-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Going back to the point:

To play all three I reckon you would have to ditch the out and out wingers (Reich and McAnuff) in favour of more solid wide midfield players (Hughes and Butterfield?) and play Dougie behind AJ and Clint. Playing all three plus the not-very-defensive-minded Marco and Jobi would be suicidal IMHO.

I'd go for AJ and Clint after a couple of substitute appearances from AJ.

Although Dougie and Clint have produced the goods between them in terms of goals (which after all is what they are primarily there for) they do allow opposing defences to clear their lines at their leisure, the first line of defence being Watson and Soares. Different matter when AJ is playing, opposition defences cannot relax for a second.

davematt
24-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by barsteward
just how true are the rumours ? is he going to spurs as alleged , ? or is he still a palace player :(

It is absolute tosh. Don't worry whatsoever.

redandbluebarmy
24-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Malakite
I am on nothing buddy, its my opinion and I am entitled to it. At the end of the day it doesnt matter that he has re-signed, he didn't wanna stay after saying he would so therefore I am annoyed about it. Doesnt mean to say I wont support the guy when playing geez, no-one is bigger than the club.

Fair play as you say you are entitled to your opinion, as i am to disagree with it. So by saying no player is bigger than the club you agree that we should always play our best team?(no favourites)
AJ(100% fit) being our best player should be in that team!

Dave
24-11-2005, 09:11 AM
It is absolute tosh. Don't worry whatsoever. How do you know this?

I don't know anyone who knows either way.

Gooders
24-11-2005, 09:21 AM
As you know, I've suspected for a long while that he withdrew his transfer request and went quiet because he was promised a move in January.

He seems to be permanently "a week away" from coming back. Shades of what happened with Defoe when Wet Sham went down.

I reckon he'll make a few appearances in December to prove his fitness and then leave for Spurs or Chorlteton in January.

At least we've got used to playing without him now.

davematt
24-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Dave
How do you know this?

1) Spurs would not agree to sign a player who is currently injured.
2) Simon Jordan would not sell him after everything he went through in the summer to keep him in the first place.
3) If they had agreed to buy him, dont you think the press would have got hold if it?

Dave, I know you like being the burden of bad news, but at the moment, AJ is still a Palace player, and from what I know, will be until told otherwise.

cpfc_spc1982
24-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Dedders

agreed.

aj is our best striker he has to play. clinton potentially complements him better than dougie. id still like to see a target man as aj's partner myself but dowie seems reluctant to get one.

playing all 3 could only involve us reverting to a diamond formation and no wingers.

redandbluebarmy
24-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
As you know, I've suspected for a long while that he withdrew his transfer request and went quiet because he was promised a move in January.

He seems to be permanently "a week away" from coming back. Shades of what happened with Defoe when Wet Sham went down.

I reckon he'll make a few appearances in December to prove his fitness and then leave for Spurs or Chorlteton in January.

and you have proof of this?
No obviously not!

davematt
24-11-2005, 09:34 AM

He has been out for as long as he has simply down to the fact that he has had quite a serious knee injury. He injured the cartilage in his knee. Now only being out for 2 months is quite lucky, as some people are out for up to 12 months with cartilage damage, depending on how bad it is.

We all fear the January transfer window, but after all the fuss of keeping here in the summer, I just dont see the point of selling him 6 months later. It would be quite silly actually. AJ will not be leaving, and you have to remember that he has been out of the spot light for 2-3 months now, so clubs will not be so keen on him as they would have been in the summer.

I am not trying to put a shadow over my eyes and go on what I think, but hope, I genuinelly believe that AJ will NOT be sold in January.

Dave
24-11-2005, 09:36 AM
I am not trying to put a shadow over my eyes and go on what I think, but hope, I genuinelly believe that AJ will NOT be sold in January. Oh I see, you don't actually know that he is staying you 'hope' he is.

Righty ho, as long as we know where we stand.

Gooders
24-11-2005, 09:38 AM
and you have proof of this?
No obviously not!

Of course I don't. I thought that was fairly transparent.

davematt
24-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Oh I see, you don't actually know that he is staying you 'hope' he is.

I put that the wrong way round. I meant to say that I dont have to hope he stays, as I genuinelly believe he will stay whatever the case is in January.

Dave
24-11-2005, 10:03 AM
My summary stands

davematt
24-11-2005, 10:09 AM
My summary stands

Of course Know one knows if he is 100% staying, but I just believe he wont be going. After all the fuss in the summer, it will be seen as a massive waste of time if we sell him in January.

Paul Romain
24-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Buglebob
Going back to the point:
Although Dougie and Clint have produced the goods between them in terms of goals (which after all is what they are primarily there for) they do allow opposing defences to clear their lines at their leisure, the first line of defence being Watson and Soares. Different matter when AJ is playing, opposition defences cannot relax for a second.

It usually takes Clinton about ten minutes to amble back the right side of the defenders after an attack breaks down - quite a lot of his offsides are down to his never actually making it at all! I was thinking how much we miss AJ defending "from the front" when Coventry were getting back in the game first 20 minutes on Tuesday

redandbluebarmy
24-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Oh I see, you don't actually know that he is staying you 'hope' he is.

And you know he is leaving?
Or just starting rumours

Dave
24-11-2005, 10:38 AM
And you know he is leaving?
Or just starting rumours

What I posted:

Perhaps it might be an idea to get your facts right before hurling accusations.

redandbluebarmy
24-11-2005, 10:42 AM
What I posted:

Perhaps it might be an idea to get your facts right before hurling accusations.

Accusations? Where did i hurl them?
Sorry if you have misunderstood me.

ANDYEAGLE
24-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Of course Know one knows if he is 100% staying, but I just believe he wont be going. After all the fuss in the summer, it will be seen as a massive waste of time if we sell him in January.

I really did not think AJ would start the season, wrong on that one.
Personally I think he will be here to the end of the season but who knows? It still all comes down to SJ, will he be tempted now by an 7or 8 million offer? It is possible as the clubs finances are not in as great a shape as people think(even with para payments). I dont think SJ has done any deal with AJ. Would have helped if we were in Readings position for sure. Time will tell.

rhiannapaul
24-11-2005, 11:16 AM
clint for the bench. macken for sale, january. keep andrews for right wing and sub

Dave
24-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Accusations? Where did i hurl them? You accused me of starting rumours

sydnsteve
24-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Paul Romain
It usually takes Clinton about ten minutes to amble back the right side of the defenders after an attack breaks down - quite a lot of his offsides are down to his never actually making it at all! I was thinking how much we miss AJ defending "from the front" when Coventry were getting back in the game first 20 minutes on Tuesday

Actually, Clint is often flying around chasing defenders down. And when he is 'ambling back' he can't be offside unless someone is stupid enough to pass the ball to him. Apart from that, 100% accurate.

Buglebob
24-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Actually, Clint is often flying around chasing defenders down.
Not after our attack has just broken down he isn't. Gesticulate wildly first, hold an inquest second, worry about what the opposition is doing with the ball third. Clinton brings a lot of qualities to the team, but defending from the front is most definitely NOT one of them.

sydnsteve
24-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I totally disagree. While the ball is there to be won, Clinton will chase it. Did you see the one he retrieved just outside the penalty area vs Cov in about the 85th minute? He came from across the area, past 3 Palace players, to tackle the defender, get the ball and set up another attack. He also chases the ball when it is going across the back line. When an attack has broken down he does often stroll back, because otherwise he'd have to be fitter than Clarke Kent, but as I've already said, he cannot then be offside unless he turns to chase a ball, which he doesn't do in that situation.
I really think people ought to watch Clint for what he does during 90mins, and you'd see there is very little time indeed that he is strolling around. He happens to rest when it is obvious, i.e. when the oppo defence is playing the ball out and he is left to walk back, but he puts in more work than most of the team.

Malakite
24-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Fair play as you say you are entitled to your opinion, as i am to disagree with it. So by saying no player is bigger than the club you agree that we should always play our best team?(no favourites)
AJ(100% fit) being our best player should be in that team!

Yup I agree totally :)

Buglebob
24-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I agree that Clint has a lot of qualities that he doesn't get credit for: Holds the ball up well, runs into sensible spaces when we have the ball, has a good eye for the killer pass (as demonstrated against the 'weed), but unfortunately in Clint and Dougie we have two strikers who don't try to make the best of a situation when things don't go exactly to plan. AJ will react to an intercepted pass by immediately turning and harassing defender with the ball. Clint does chase back but it seems the opposition have to have possession for a while before this takes place.

AlgotTheEagle
24-11-2005, 12:49 PM
If everybody is fit at the same time (can`t see that happend :hmph: )
i would like too see;

Gabor
Boyce - Hall - Ward - Granny
Aki
Reich McAnuff
Dougie
Morrison - AJ

Would be intresting to see if that works

Jason
24-11-2005, 12:52 PM

Much as I want AJ to stay (he is after all the best striker at the club regardless of how well Clint and the Doug are doing), him leaving me actually be in the best interests of the club. Him being injured means that somewhere between a third and half of the value of the squad is producing no value for us. We've also proved in his absense that we are more than capable of scoring goals in this league with the strikers we have.

If we could get around 6m for AJ, that money (assuming Dowie had it available) could actually be used to considerably strenghthen the squad. Andy Reid and Micheal Brown at 1.5m each (guestimate based on gossip), plus a promising young striker to add to the squad (Freddie Eastwood at 750k for arguments sake) would probably leave us a stronger team than we are now with AJ. We could also add another good left back at say 750K (don't have any names in mind) to strngthen further.

Net result is the club has 1.5m more, is significantly strengthened in three positions while being moderately weakened (in terms of goal output) in one. There is also far less emphasis on one player, and a single injury wouldn't leave us with so much of the value of the squad inactive. The size of AJs wages also mean that the total wage cost of bringing those players in is unlilkely to be much more than we're paying AJ. This is all particularly relevant if we don't go up this year, as if we re-structure in the right way now, we'd be perfectly placed to do what Sheff Utd / Reading are now doing.

Buglebob
24-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by AlgotTheEagle
If everybody is fit at the same time (can`t see that happend :hmph: )
i would like too see;

Gabor
Boyce - Hall - Ward - Granny
Aki
Reich McAnuff
Dougie
Morrison - AJ

Would be intresting to see if that works
As posted earlier, I think it would be suicidal to play the two wingers AND three up front. You're right though, it would be interesting.

Buglebob
24-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Jason
Much as I want AJ to stay (him leaving me
Something you want to share with us? :D

Seriously though, very valid point, although I can't help thinking that this would mean we have one less premiership class player in the squad (should we get promoted) in exchange for 3 or 4 very good Championship class players.

THETwins
24-11-2005, 01:01 PM
think of the future - clinton & freedman are not so top drawer in the premiership. Where as AJ is. If we go up - i'd want to see AJ still at the club, with the squad strengthenin we done in close season - i think we'd be wel equipped to survive.

Baldy
24-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Nah, we are complete ****s

:p :p :lux:

JayT
24-11-2005, 01:06 PM
AJ is the best striker we have at the club and I wouldn't have him on the bench. Why? There is no place for sentiment in football. You play the best of what you have, and that is AJ and Morrison.

Freedman is the most intelligent striker we have and is most likely to open something up if we need to. AJ will always score goals at this level - no question about that, and Morrison will either create something or score. Both players could work together in the Premiership, should we go up, and we would already have one of definate premiership class in AJ.

If, for argument sake, we were to let AJ go - I would like to see the money we get for him to go towards buying the ground. It may not get us promoted but that would be the most rewarding thing that a players sale would have done for the club.

Clapham Grand
24-11-2005, 01:12 PM

Good grief

Bryan
24-11-2005, 01:26 PM
AJ has to play or he will definately end up leaving in January and I wouldn't blame him. He truly scares defenders - even in the premiership.

I can't see that Jordon would have given AJ an improved contract just to get us promoted and then sell him which would only improve our chances of being relegated again (don't forget what how reliant we were on his goals).

So its AJ and the form striker out of the two - Doug.

Malakite
24-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by JayT

If, for argument sake, we were to let AJ go - I would like to see the money we get for him to go towards buying the ground. It may not get us promoted but that would be the most rewarding thing that a players sale would have done for the club.

Fantastic post, best idea on this thread so far :p

Jay_Palace
24-11-2005, 02:50 PM

I can see where your coming from, something doesn't feel quite right about this AJ business ...

Jason
24-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Buglebob
Something you want to share with us? :D

Seriously though, very valid point, although I can't help thinking that this would mean we have one less premiership class player in the squad (should we get promoted) in exchange for 3 or 4 very good Championship class players.

Oops . . . .very bad typo!

On the serious point, you are quite right. It's somewhat ironic that a move that would probably significantly improve our promotion prospects would also be likely to lessen our survival chances once we got there . . . .a major dilemma.

Methinks I'd sell AJ, use the money to buy young players who'd get us out of this leaue (as described above), and then use all of the Prem money to buy the ground rather than spending any (apart from perhaps one or two season loans) on players.

Sure, we'd probably come straight back down, but we'd own the ground, and if we bought young enough players, probably really could go straight back up again . . . . . . .meanwhile, back in the real world !

Chester 76
24-11-2005, 08:41 PM

I think selling AJ in January would be an admission that we expect to be in this division next season. If we were to sell AJ & then be promoted we would have to go out & get a replacement,paying over the odds by being a Premiership side.
I didn`t think he would be still at Palace this season but it makes no sense to me to sell in January.

nomad
24-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
No you don't.

Perhaps you were not at the Coventry game then. Apart from a shot that hit the top of the crossbar, Clinton imo was less than impressive and even Wayne Andrews played better. By contrast, Doug has been by far and away our best striker these last few games. On current form (and attitude) it has to be Clinton if (and it is a big if) AJ returns to the side fully fit.

POLLARDS EAGLE
24-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Won't drop a 2 + mill Player in clinton wake up

boxing francis
24-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Clinton is a goalscorer and creator. I can't believe people are suggesting he should be dropped after two 'bad' games where he has managed to set up two goals and hit the bar.....

maestro
24-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by boxing francis
Clinton is a goalscorer and creator. I can't believe people are suggesting he should be dropped after two 'bad' games where he has managed to set up two goals and hit the bar.....

I dont know why you cant believe it, if AJ is an automatic starter as Dowie has said then Freedman is playing better than Morrison so should get the nod over him

Chester 76
24-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I dont know why you cant believe it, if AJ is an automatic starter as Dowie has said then Freedman is playing better than Morrison so should get the nod over him AJ & Freedman have not been convincing as a partnership, therefore I would expect AJ & Morrison to be the first choice selection.

CPFC_DAVE77
24-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Chester 76
AJ & Freedman have not been convincing as a partnership, therefore I would expect AJ & Morrison to be the first choice selection.

NO WAY!! When it suits you, you all bang on about playing the in form strikers. "AJ 4 ENGLAND, HES THE MAN IN FORM" Well, who's our form striker? Dougie. Personally, i think they should all play. Doug just behind. Them 3 up front would scare the s**t out of Championship defences. :p

Chester 76
24-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by CPFC_DAVE77
NO WAY!! When it suits you, you all bang on about playing the in form strikers. "AJ 4 ENGLAND, HES THE MAN IN FORM" Well, who's our form striker? Dougie. Personally, i think they should all play. Doug just behind. Them 3 up front would scare the s**t out of Championship defences. :p When choosing from two Championship quality players then the player in form should be picked. When choosing between a Premiership quality player & a Championship quality player, then the Premiership quality player must be preferred.
Playing Freedman behind the front two hasn`t worked in the past, infact in 2001, Kember preferred Morrison in that role behind Freedman & Forsell.

sydnsteve
25-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by nomad
Perhaps you were not at the Coventry game then. Apart from a shot that hit the top of the crossbar, Clinton imo was less than impressive and even Wayne Andrews played better. By contrast, Doug has been by far and away our best striker these last few games. On current form (and attitude) it has to be Clinton if (and it is a big if) AJ returns to the side fully fit.

Nothing like clinging onto old prejudices for a bit of comfort, is there?

telegraph eagle
25-11-2005, 11:06 AM
i think clint and doug have been very convincing look at the way clint set up doug for his goals against burnley and brighton.

Buglebob
25-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by telegraph eagle
i think clint and doug have been very convincing look at the way clint set up doug for his goals against burnley and brighton.
Indeed. This is a very nice problem to have. Doug and Clint play well together and have each been in good form and have scored and created plenty of goals between them AND we have AJ to come back who has shown that he can link up well with either. One of the more pleasant dilemmas facing Dowie.

big bazza
25-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Ther won't be a problem according to SSN. "Johnson unlikely to play".