PDA

View Full Version : Middlesbrough Updates - Weather wise


Shipp Ahoy!
28-11-2005, 12:35 PM
I will post updates so people going on Wednesday have a good idea of the chances of postponement.

Currently started tipping snow down, its quite heavy though not big flakes in fact if it wasn't white you would think it was rain!

Current chance of Wednesday game being called off about 5 - 10% (obviously at this point will update later if it continues all day!)

eddieskyclad
28-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Do I remember you saying you're living in Guisborough or are you actually in Middlesbrough?

Shipp Ahoy!
28-11-2005, 12:44 PM
It's close enough :D

Shipp Ahoy!
28-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Besides I work in Middlesborough (so close I can actually see the 3 quaters of the Riverside from my office) so can provide accurate reports anyway :p

Dorking .Eagle
28-11-2005, 12:52 PM
thanks for this Shipp - very useful thread

eddieskyclad
28-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Just wondering ;)

It's just that because Guisborough is on higher ground it often gets the worse of the weather. Redcar/Marske area is currently fine - bit of snowy rain but nothing's laying... but hey that isn't relevant.

And apologies if I'm wrong but are you working in Garlands?

Shipp Ahoy!
28-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Yep.

BaldEagle96
28-11-2005, 01:07 PM
I would actually be quite pleased if this game got postponed by a week now as I have sooooo much to do at the moment.

GreatGonzo
28-11-2005, 01:11 PM
If it gets called off it will only be after we have all set off anyway so i hope it doesn't! ;) :p

Tony
28-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BaldEagle96
I would actually be quite pleased if this game got postponed by a week now as I have sooooo much to do at the moment.

I wouldn't. I've got to work up there this week and have cunningly timed visit to fall in line with the game. If it's off I'll be mildly disappointed.

Selhurst300
28-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
Just wondering ;)

It's just that because Guisborough is on higher ground it often gets the worse of the weather. Redcar/Marske area is currently fine - bit of snowy rain but nothing's laying... but hey that isn't relevant.

And apologies if I'm wrong but are you working in Garlands?

What about Saltburn-by-the-Sea? I own a few acres of farmland there.

Shipp Ahoy!
28-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Apologies Guisborough does get different weather! I hadn't realised it was that far away!

Middlesbrough did have snow today but it didn't set so just ended up being very wet! Was a lot clearer when I left work 44 minutes ago! Unless it starts to really come down tomorrow or latest Wednesday morning I would put my wage packet on it being on.

eddieskyclad
29-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Apologies Guisborough does get different weather! I hadn't realised it was that far away! It isn't actually that far, what is it about 7 miles tops? It is quite bizarre that Guisborough and Nunthorpe (which a mile or 3 from Boro) always get dreadful snow and it's never as bad down the hill (Marske, Redcar, Eston, Middlesbrough etc...) although it does get bad there too sometimes.

Oh and I try and avoid Saltburn if at all possible ;) where's the farmland though?

ozeagle
29-11-2005, 12:54 AM
you'd have to be nuts to go up there when we're in this sort of mood.

save your cash and buy the missus something nice for chrissy.

:)

spunky
29-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Apologies Guisborough does get different weather! I hadn't realised it was that far away!

Middlesbrough did have snow today but it didn't set so just ended up being very wet! Was a lot clearer when I left work 44 minutes ago! Unless it starts to really come down tomorrow or latest Wednesday morning I would put my wage packet on it being on.

ill take that bet, ooop north that should be about 4.25 and 5kg of coal if im not mistaken :p

Santos-er
29-11-2005, 01:06 AM
i'd be more worried about the journey up. Heavy snow in some areas of the Midlands today, whether it'll stick or not is anyone's guess.

BaldEagle96
29-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle
you'd have to be nuts to go up there when we're in this sort of mood.

save your cash and buy the missus something nice for chrissy.

:)

Guess I am nuts then!! ;)

Dorking .Eagle
29-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Hopefully the A1 will be clear all the way through

Shipp Ahoy!
29-11-2005, 03:36 PM
No snow is Guisborough thus far today, not actually in work so can't comment on Boro itself. But am assuming weather is even better so I give a 80% chance the game will go ahead even if there is heavy snow tomorrow :lux:

Dorking .Eagle
29-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I don't mind home games being off with bad weather, but away trips is poo.
Please don't snow tonight.

Son of Ron
29-11-2005, 04:22 PM
tomorrow the min temp is going to be 5-7 C so should be no problem with the game or getting there.

zonin2000
29-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
you'd have to be nuts to go up there when we're in this sort of mood.
Just the sort of game we tend to win.

eddieskyclad
29-11-2005, 04:40 PM
No snow round these parts either... but I did see an awful lot of gritters kicking around on the way home from work so they must be expecting a very cold night.

Like I said in another thread the problem Middlesbrough have with weather isn't actually the pitch, it's the roads on the Middlehaven site and the access to the ground. Many a match has been called off because the roads were not up to it... if it freezes then it may still get called off. But then like I also mentioned elsewhere, Middlesbrough Borough Council have spent the best part of 18 months improving access to the Riverside so in theory that shouldn't be a problem anyways.

Al From Bromley
29-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Wasnt the league fixture with them postponed last year becauise of treacherous surfaceas around the outskirts of the ground?

BaldEagle96
29-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Wasnt the league fixture with them postponed last year becauise of treacherous surfaceas around the outskirts of the ground?

Nope - it was played on the August Bank Holiday weekend as scheduled!!!

Al From Bromley
29-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Blimey, which fixture ewas that then, or did i dream it? Postponed due to unsafe surfaces on the approaches to the ground?

Grim Reaper
29-11-2005, 05:54 PM
If anyone's wanting to break the journey up and stop over for a night at Bags Ball and needs a room at a guest house........;)

Grim Reaper
29-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Blimey, which fixture ewas that then, or did i dream it? Postponed due to unsafe surfaces on the approaches to the ground?

Bradford in early 2003 perhaps?

eddieskyclad
29-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Al From Bromley
Blimey, which fixture ewas that then, or did i dream it? Postponed due to unsafe surfaces on the approaches to the ground? Has happened quite a lot at the Riverside but I'm pretty sure Palace have never been effected (this is will be our 3rd visit to the Riverside). Think one of the most high profile games they postponed for that very reason was the North East derby game against Newcastle a few seasons back but like I say it happens about once a season... quite silly considering the Riverside has great anti-snow/ice measures in place.

eddieskyclad
29-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Just while speaking of the weather it's fecking cold right now, though we still don't have snow... Make sure y'all wrap up warm ;)

Dorking .Eagle
30-11-2005, 08:33 AM
weather update?

Selhurst300
30-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by eddieskyclad
It isn't actually that far, what is it about 7 miles tops? It is quite bizarre that Guisborough and Nunthorpe (which a mile or 3 from Boro) always get dreadful snow and it's never as bad down the hill (Marske, Redcar, Eston, Middlesbrough etc...) although it does get bad there too sometimes.

Oh and I try and avoid Saltburn if at all possible ;) where's the farmland though?

I got married there.
Either side of the main road just before you enter Saltburn from Marske.

SIR
30-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Just phoned the Riverside. No chance of it being called off. Theres no ice and no snow and no plans for a pitch inspection. GO GO GO!

eddieskyclad
30-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Dorking .Eagle
weather update? Very cold but rather pleasant.

Selhurst300
30-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Very cold and raining over in Cumbria.
Setting off in 30 minutes.